Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CovCath standout comes from a long line of successful tennis players
Covington Catholic freshman tennis standout Austin Hussey comes from a long line of successful tennis players in his family, and on Wednesday afternoon he got to revel in his own success.

Hussey, whose mother Kara (Molony) Hussey was a standout at Notre Dame Academy and went on to play on the Women’s Tennis Association Tour and whose aunts Lindsay and Molly both played Division I college tennis, defeated Villa Madonna Academy junior Deuce Gibson, 6-3, 6-2, in the Ninth Region Tournament singles championship match at Boone Woods Park.

“My mom was a great player and my aunts were great players so it’s nice to be in the spotlight for once,” said Hussey. “It feels awesome.”

He hadn’t lost a single game in the tournament heading into the championship match, but the No. 1-seed was pushed in the first set by Gibson, the No. 2 seed, who broke Hussey’s service in the very first game and had a chance to go up 4-3 in the set before Hussey rallied to take a 4-3 lead and then settled in from there.

“I was nervous,” said Hussey. “He played really great. I was just trying to figure out how to win.”

Covington Catholic coach Al Hertsenberg said Hussey told him earlier in the day that he was too nervous to even eat and that he could see those nerves affect Hussey early in the first set.

“Deuce pushed him and took advantage of Austin’s nerves,” said Hertsenberg. “Deuce won a lot of points, but Austin gave away a lot of points he usually doesn’t. He did not adjust to the crosscourt wind, especially early in the first set. He knew it, but he was so nervous it didn’t come to him as quickly as it should have. Austin also got Deuce moving at his pace. Once Austin buckled down he was able to kind of control the match.”

Hussey’s arrival at CovCath this season allowed Hertsenberg to move senior Stephen Schafer to the No. 1 doubles team where he and partner Scott Drees beat teammates Joe Kendall and Ryan Cunningham in the doubles championship match, 6-3, 7-5.

Schafer won the regional singles title last year and was the Enquirer’s Northern Kentucky Tennis Player of the Yearhttp://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20120509/SPT0302/305090157/