Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bishop Brossart 4 Pikeville 2 (KHSAA State Tournament)
Pikeville gave it all the had but come up short. Congrats on a nice season!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Congrats Pikeville on a fine season.
Well, congrats to Brossart. Good luck against Xavier in the next round. Panthers had a good season, and just to get to make it this far is an honor. Looking forward to next season.
I'll let others comment on the f'ing idiot umpire...and yes I mean f**king idiot.
Congrats Panthers on a great season! Do NOT hang your heads! Heck of a season and nothing to be ashamed of.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
jetpilot Wrote:I'll let others comment on the f'ing idiot umpire...and yes I mean f**king idiot.

Was this the same ump in the 15th regional championship that blew the first inning call at the plate?
Anyway you look at it, Pikeville was the best representative of the 15th. Congrats to a great season to the Panthers.
Congrats panthers on a terrific season.
Congrats to BB, representing the 10th region well.
Bishop Brossart, making the most of its first state tournament appearance, beat Pikeville 4-2 in the first round at Whitaker Bank Ballpark on Monday night.
Zach Fardo pitched six innings to get the win. He gave up 4 hits, struck out three and walked 2 to improve his record to 8-5. Conner Verst closed it out in the seventh, striking out two of three batters he faced.
Tanner Norton had a single and an RBI double for Brossart. Trevor Bezold had a run-scoring triple, and Jesse Orth drove in a run with a single.
Brossart Coach Ron Verst said he was a little surprised his players looked so poised in their first state tournament, but “the last few weeks they’ve built confidence in themselves.
“And lot of them have played in this park before in the All “A” so they had some familiarity with it. I don’t think they were intimidated at all to play here, and they were pretty confident in their ability.
Pikeville got single runs in the second (on J.P. Coleman’s RBI single) and the sixth (on Jacob Burke’s RBI double).
Randy Maynard took the pitching loss, his second in eight decisions this season.

http://www.Kentucky.com
Why is it that if a 15th Region team loses, it comes down to the umpires. Someone explain to me the reason, is it the fact that our kids made a mistake but if the umpire would have called it right we wouldnt have lost,(right been the way we want it, not the right call.)
Bishop Brossart didn't show any stage fright while making its debut in the Kentucky National Insurance/ KHSAA State Baseball Tournament at Whitaker Bank Ballpark on Monday night.
The Mustangs, led by the strong pitching of Zach Fardo and clutch hitting, beat Pikeville 4-2 in a showdown of Class A schools.
Brossart Coach Ron Verst wasn't surprised by his players' poise on the big stage.
"The last few weeks they've built a confidence in themselves that's carried over to the way they've played.
"A lot of them have played in this park before in the All 'A' (Classic), so they weren't intimidated coming in here, and they were pretty confident in their ability."
Fardo did his job. He worked six innings, gave up four hits, struck out four and walked two. Conner Verst closed out the seventh.
The Mustangs' big hits included an RBI double by Tanner Norton, an RBI triple by Trevor Bezold, and a run-scoring single by Jesse Orth.
Pikeville's runs came on RBI hits by J.P. Coleman and Jacob Burke.
The Panthers loaded the bases with no outs in the third but came up empty when, with one out, base runner Reese Ward was called for interference sliding into second, and Brossart was given an inning-ending double play.
"I thought that was the turning point," Pikeville Coach Stephen Priode said.
"This game could've gone either way. Two pretty good Class A schools battling it out. I give Bishop Brossart credit. They did what they had to do."
Bishop Brossart 002 020 0—4 8 1
Pikeville 010 001 0—2 4 2
Zach Fardo, Conner Verst (7) and Tanner Norton. Randy Maynard, Jacob Hamilton (5) and Gavin Miller. 2B—Jared Hahn (BB), Tanner Norton (BB), Jacob Burke (P). 3B—Trevor Bezold

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/06/04/22125...rylink=cpy
I do understand there was a questionable call in the game, but truth is Pikeville has struggled to put runs on the board all season. You're right, golfer30, the umps didn't beat us, Bishop Brossart did. Congratulations to my Panthers on a great season, congratulations to Bishop Brossart on the win and good luck against St. X.
LEXINGTON - While the Bishop Brossart baseball team left numerous runners in scoring position and senior starting pitcher Zach Fardo admittedly didn’t have his best stuff, both the Mustangs’ hitters and Fardo did just enough for the team to earn its first Kentucky High School Athletic Association State Tournament win.
Brossart, which had at least one runner in scoring position in all seven innings and left 12 runners on base, scored two runs in the third and two more in the fifth and Fardo allowed four hits over six innings as the Mustangs went on to beat Pikeville, 4-2, in a first-round game on Monday night at Whitaker Bank Ballpark.
Enquirer's Recruiting Trail blog
Enquirer high school sports blog
Check us out on Facebook
More prep coverage
Brossart (26-12), which is appearing in its first ever KHSAA state baseball tournament, advances to play Louisville St. Xavier in a quarterfinal game at 6 p.m. on Wednesday. St. Xavier (30-11) advanced with a 4-0 win over Mercer County in a first-round game earlier on Monday.

“They have a confidence about them that they’ve picked up over the last few weeks and I don’t think they show any intimidation no matter who they play or whatever the situation is,” said Brossart head coach Ron Verst. “They’re playing hard, they’re going at teams and they’re confident with who we put on the mound.”

After Brossart failed to score in the top of the first inning despite getting leadoff batter Jared Hahn to third with one out, and then left the bases loaded without scoring in the second, Pikeville took a 1-0 lead with an unearned run in the bottom of the second.

The Mustangs came right back to score two runs in the top of the third. The first came when junior catcher Tanner Norton doubled home sophomore shortstop Nate Verst, and the second when senior center fielder Trevor Bezold’s drive to center field went off the glove of Pikeville center fielder Jacob Burke for a three-base error allowing Norton to score easily and put Brossart on top, 2-1.

Fardo then pitched out of a bases-loaded, no-out jam in the bottom of the third when he first induced Burke to pop out to first baseman Bobby Roderick and then got Reese Ward to ground to Nate Verst at short. Verst threw to second baseman Jesse Orth for the force and second and while Orth’s relay throw was late to first, Ward was also ruled out when the runner sliding into second, Jacob Hamilton, was ruled to have slid across the base and interfered with Orth.

“That was huge,” said Ron Verst. “That was a momentum boost for us. (Fardo) has battled all year for us and his teammates work hard for him.”It marked the second time in as many games that Brossart had benefitted from an umpire’s call. The Mustangs also got a hit batsmen that would have driven home the tying run for Harrison County in last Thursday’s 10th Region championship game reversed when the batter was ruled to have not attempted to get out of the way. Brossart held on to win that game, 4-3.

“We have a saying that Coach Ed Schultz (a former assistant who passed away two years ago) is looking out for us,” said Ron Verst. “We’ve had some calls go our way, but we’ll take them.”Brossart then went up 4-1 with two runs in the top of fifth. Norton led off the inning with a single and scored when Bezold tripled to the base of the wall in right center. Bezold scored two outs later on Orth’s single to deep short.

“I thought it was a pop up to right field at first and I was running around first base and I saw it kept going,” said Bezold. “We did leave a lot of people on base, but we still did enough and that was big there. After the first couple of innings it got quiet, but we got some runs and then the insurance runs and it gave us some confidence.”

Fardo, a left-hander who improved to 8-5 on the season, kept Pikeville off balance with a fastball that never got past 74 mph and then an assortment of off-speed pitches.

He retired nine in a row from the end of the third through the fifth, then gave up a run in the sixth. He allowed just four hits, one earned run, walked two and struck out four before giving way to sophomore Conner Verst, who pitched a perfect ninth and struck out two to record the save.

“I didn’t have my good stuff, but I battled out there,” said Fardo. “It was good to get the lead and we might have left a lot of guys on base, but I always look at it like if you’ve got a lead then you’re good.

“This is huge. This is the first time we’ve ever been here and first ever win here. We’re still making memorieshttp://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20120604/SPT0302/306040076/Brossart-reaches-state-quarterfinals?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports
Panther Thunder, Why didn't you call me to get the scouting report on BBHS????
I'm not one to complain on the umpires but that call really took the game away from Pikeville. There is no logical reason that Ward should be called out for the slide at 2nd. Haven't the umps ever heard of 'break up 2'. It happens in the game everyday, besides, Hamilton didn't even try to hurt the SS. He just slid through. Ward is safe. 2 outs. 2-2 with bases jammed and a power hitter up, could be big.
If that had of been brossart, he'd of been safe. The seemed predujice of mountain teams just never stops. I really think PHS was the better ball team. They had an outstanding season. It's your mission to win Region, and great to win State. Mission completed.

As to Gavin, Reese, Randy, Hefner, and J.P, I wish you all the best of luck in whatever path you choose. It's been a pleasure watching you dedicated boys. Hail Pikeville
:Thumbs:way go Mustags

Blaming the umps?Confusederiously::lame:
Does the play at 2nd by Pikeville keeps Brossart from scoring 4?
Congrats to Bishop Brossart on the win and good luck the rest of the tournament.
Congrats to Pikeville on another great season & winning the 15th Region. You represented the 15th well.