Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville Basketball in Book Forum
JR VanHoose and Mark Maynard are working on a new book about Paintsville Basketball, the State Championship years, and a lot of background history dating back to the early years of PHS. For a short preview, go to http://dailyindependent.com/localsports and click on to the Mark Maynard story.

From reading the Maynard story it seems like it going to be an interesting read for not just Paintsville fans, but fans of KY High School Basketball.
Olderthandirt Wrote:JR VanHoose and Mark Maynard are working on a new book about Paintsville Basketball, the State Championship years, and a lot of background history dating back to the early years of PHS. For a short preview, go to http://dailyindependent.com/localsports and click on to the Mark Maynard story.

From reading the Maynard story it seems like it going to be an interesting read for not just Paintsville fans, but fans of KY High School Basketball.
Thanks for the thread OTD.I just hope they dont go back too far. Some are truly older than dirt.Hope they stop short of the Mac.era. If you recognize that name I guess you have to be OTD.:biggrin:
I met him a few years ago at a Christmas party.....I really liked him. From what I know, it will go back to the beginning. I was told that there will be box scores from years and years ago, plus names of every letterman.
That's right guys, I will be working on a book with Mark Maynard of the Ashland Daily about the history of Paintsville Tiger basketball from 1922-present. The main story of the book will be the tale of the 1996 state championship team. However, one of the first chapters will deal with the programs history and some of the important coaches and players from the different eras. There will also be a chapter that will deal with the teams from 1985-87 that had a big impact as far as how Paintsville basketball was looked upon.

We have conducted a few interviews so far with many more to come in this summer and into the fall. We will not just be giving game recaps and scores, we will be telling the little details that many people would like to hear. Thoughts about practices with Coach Runyon, what were the thoughts going into different games and certain game situations, reactions, etc.

Also included in the book will be an all-time letterman's list (still a work in progress), a season-by-season list and scores of games from each season, a list of the members of the Paintsville 1,000 point club (31 members right now), and a list of current team and individual records.

We have some other ideas we are looking at right now as well. We are also looking for as many pictures of players and teams from Paintsville over the years that we can find. If any one can provide any help or would like to tell a story about Paintsville basketball from 1922-present, please feel free to share.
^J...I want mine autographed!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Sounds like an awesome idea. This sounds like something I would like to do one day.

Definitely will pick up a copy and read it.
that is good going back to the old day....
Definitely going to get a copy of this the day it comes out. Really looking forward to it! I love this kind of stuff.
I remember the 96 title team they had great size. 1996 was also the year I believe the best team to never win a state title got beat out in the regional (UHA). I believe they beat Paintsville in the Class A state finals that year.
FIRST Wrote:I remember the 96 title team they had great size. 1996 was also the year I believe the best team to never win a state title got beat out in the regional (UHA). I believe they beat Paintsville in the Class A state finals that year.

UHA got beat out in the 1st Round of the district tournament that year.

In the All "A" Harlan beat us in the first round, after we blew a big first half lead (which will really be covered in great detail in the book). UHA beat Harlan in the next game at the All "A"
I'm telling you guys, this is a huge project and undertaking. This will not be your basic 100-150 page book. This thing will be massive, maybe 400+ pages with great detail and background. If it's done right, this could be a classic!!
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:I'm telling you guys, this is a huge project and undertaking. This will not be your basic 100-150 page book. This thing will be massive, maybe 400+ pages with great detail and background. If it's done right, this could be a classic!!
Best wishes J on your endeavors as you travel through Tiger basketball history. Many great eras in the program. A large number of really nice payers in the early 60's which made it tough to get time on the court. A lot of stories out there as with any school. I am sure you will give ink to Coach Mac. Love him or hate him he was the man. Memories!!!!!! Thanks in advance.
"1964". Can't wait to see this story in print. With two D-1 players on the same team to include Rocky J,Droop,Gluefingers 'Pigamy and the guy I called Dunk cause he did it well and at a time when nobody did. My vote for the best team in the history of PHS. The dunks by rooster were truly memorable,but he left before the 64 bunch. Again( no offense JR.) best wishes and nothing further from CH. Guess we will just have to wait.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:"1964". Can't wait to see this story in print. With two D-1 players on the same team to include Rocky J,Droop,Gluefingers 'Pigamy and the guy I called Dunk cause he did it well and at a time when nobody did. My vote for the best team in the history of PHS. The dunks by rooster were truly memorable,but he left before the 64 bunch. Again( no offense JR.) best wishes and nothing further from CH. Guess we will just have to wait.

That was a really good team. They finished the season ranked 6th in the state by the AP and 17th by the Louisville Courier-Journal. It was how they ended their season that is heartbreaking. I mean two years in a row, to the same team!! Just heartbreaking!!
OffTheHook Wrote:^J...I want mine autographed!

You got it!! It's been great uncovering all of the interesting things about the teams over the years. Paintsville has a long line of basketball tradition and it goes much deeper than people realize!
It will be interesting to see if any off court stories are told ie: "The Whiskey Bottle at Wayland" and "The Team Meal at the Pine Knot Rest. in Jackson". Havin a tough time waiting "J".
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:It will be interesting to see if any off court stories are told ie: "The Whiskey Bottle at Wayland" and "The Team Meal at the Pine Knot Rest. in Jackson". Havin a tough time waiting "J".

Well, maybe you could point me in the direction where I could hear these stories in great detail!!
:Thumbs:
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:Well, maybe you could point me in the direction where I could hear these stories in great detail!!
Just have a few and they are fading fast.:Thumbs:
mr.charlie hustle Wrote::Thumbs:
Just have a few and they are fading fast.:Thumbs:

If you'd like, just contact me at the following e-mail address:

[email]Jonathan.VanHoose@pike.kyschools.us[/email]
Gonna have to pick up a copy when it comes out.
I hope they put in their book they lost the last game of the season at home to Perry,Cent that year.
ballboy Wrote:I hope they put in their book they lost the last game of the season at home to Perry,Cent that year.

Why would I omit that? We will be telling the good and the bad in this book. Have to let everyone know the complete story, losses included. Perry Central wasn't the only team we lost too, had 10 losses on the year!
Great interview with Keith Adkins. Great time talking about the teams of the mid-to-late 80s. Good progress for the book!!
Can you name the 10 games Painstville lost that year?
That season Paintsville lost to: Knott Central; Woodbridge, CA; Peninsula, CA; Shawnee, NJ; Shadow Mountain, AZ; Shelby County; Harlan; Boyd County; Perry Central; and Lexington Catholic.
I remember the Harlan game because I watch the Class A every year. Seems like Painstville was up by like 12 or 15 points in the 2nd or 3rd. Paintsville was the much bigger team in that game, but Harlan had a hard-nosed team that year. I also remember the Knott Central game that year, that was also a great game. The Paintsville tigers had a very big team in 1996. I believe they was like 6'10, 6'6, and 6'5 that year. I can not remember a team ever in the mountains having that much size on one team. I also believe this will be a great book for those Ky. high school b-ball fans.
Mountain Wrote:I remember the Harlan game because I watch the Class A every year. Seems like Painstville was up by like 12 or 15 points in the 2nd or 3rd. Paintsville was the much bigger team in that game, but Harlan had a hard-nosed team that year. I also remember the Knott Central game that year, that was also a great game. The Paintsville tigers had a very big team in 1996. I believe they was like 6'10, 6'6, and 6'5 that year. I can not remember a team ever in the mountains having that much size on one team. I also believe this will be a great book for those Ky. high school b-ball fans.

Harlan was a very good team in 1996. We did blow a big first half lead and got beat by them. Probably the low point of the season. Guys weren't getting along very well and not much team ball was being played, bit it was also a turning point for us and will be greatly discussed in the book.

As for our size, I was 6' 9", Craig Ratliff was 6' 8", Josh McKenzie was 6' 6". Plus both of out starting guards were both over 6" tall was well!
I'm not from Paintsville, but I will be looking for this book when it come out to get my hands on a copy.
Great!! Looking forward to checking out the book!!
It's great that everyone has been supportive and is excited about the book. It may take a while to get it done, but it will be done right and should tell a great story!!