Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region preseason picks
This was written in April, so there have been a few changes since then.

1. Harlan County — After four straight first-round losses, the Bears should have something to prove with a veteran lineup that will have no excuses. The Bears won't lack experience with their top five scorers returning for their senior seasons, led by point guard Tyler Brewer (14.0 points per game last year) and wings Chad Massingill (14.3) and Alex Sergent (10.0). Aaron Caldwell (9.6) is back at center and James Bond (4.7) could round out the lineup after two years as the sixth man.
The Bears also featured the region's best junior varsity (13-1) and freshman teams (13-0) with a starting lineup for both that featured five freshmen, led by 6-5 Tyler Miller (4.3), 6-2 Zach Caldwell and 6-1 center Fred Massey. Guards include Trey Sanders, Cody Bumgardner, Zach WIlson and Dallas Howard. Cole WIlson and Derek Akal were key players on the junior varsity squad as sophomores.

2. North Laurel — The Jaguars will feature a nice mixture of size and quickness as four key players are back from the program's first regional championship team.
The backcourt will feature two of the region's quickest guards. Marcus Carson (14.1) and Kendrick Henson (5.7), both seniors, played their best when it counted most in the regional tournament. Austin Rush (5.2), a 6-3 senior forward, provided a physical presence in the post, while 6-7 junior Jake Allen (14.0) could be developing into the region's best player as a threat both in the paint and on the perimeter. Junior guards Austin Thompson (2.7) and Chris Miller (2.2) could battle for the final starting job.

3. Clay County — Three starters are back for the Tigers, including senior guard Kody Reed (11.8), sophomore guard Tyler McDaniel (12.8) and senior forward Stephon Lyttle (9.5). Steven Wagers (6.5), a 6-4 senior center, left for Jackson County after the regional tournament, opening the door for 6-3 senior Marty Bowling (2.8) to take over at center. Bowling was one of four junior starters on last year's junior varsity team and all could play key roles next season, including point guard Travis Smith (2.0) and wings Jordan White and Jarrod Rice.

4. Pineville — With all five starters returning for their senior seasons, led by post players John Simpson (15.7), Byron David Asher (9.3) and Jacob Skinner (6.4), the Lions could find themselves the favorite in the All "A" Classic and the 51st District. Back at guard are Seth Jeffrey (7.0), and Jared Philpot (7.0). Sophomore guards Cody Collett (7.5) and Isaac Longworth will also see extensive action, along with junior forward Conner Ford.

5. South Laurel — WIth a senior-dominated squad returning, the Cardinals should be much improved, especially if point guard Blake Sanders (7.9) can make his way back from problems from a concussion that sidelined him for much of his junior season, but losing forward Jeff Hale, the only consistent offensive threat the second half of the year, will be a blow.
Zac Baxter (14.5) had a big freshman season at a wing. Austin Rader (4.3), Matt Slavey (8.7), Zack Jones (4.5) and Austin Schaser (4.4) are also coming back for their senior years. Junior guard Trevor Grubb (4.1) will battle for playing time at guard.

6. Corbin — Losing Travis Smith will hurt, but the Hounds will feature a senior-dominated squad led by the backcourt of Zach Farley (12.2), Kaleb Maguet (5.7) and Hunter Grubb (6.7). Robbie Igo (6.5) is back at center. Several juniors will also be in the mix after playing key roles on a 19-1 junior varsity team that was led by Donnie WIlson, Joey Shelton (2.3), Zach Henson, Taylor Waddle and Andrew Johnson.

7. Knox Central — WIth 6-foot-8 center Tobie Merida (10.0) back for his senior season, the Panthers will feature one of the region's most imposing big men. The remainder of the lineup will be dominated by guards, featuring sophomores Matthew Barger (12.5), Dustin Hensley (3.7) and Jeffrey Adams (2.5) and senior Jacob WIlburn (3.4). Sophomores Nathan Cole (2.2) and Dallas Yeager, both sophomore guards, will also see action.

8. Middlesboro —A surprising run to the 52nd District title could propel the Jackets to an even bigger season in 2013 with a senior-dominated squad returning led by point guard Michael Wilson (7.2)
Replacing Cameron Rancher and his athleticism inside will be a key for Middlesboro's success. Zach Riddle (7.4), Boone Bowling (2.3) and Derek Smith (4.6), all seniors, are potential starters inside, along with junior Austin Poindexter (3.8). Junior Donnie Foister (9.3) and seniors Blake Davis (5.5) and Jarrell Stephney (3.5) are potential starters on the wings.

9. Bell County — After losing their three top players to graduation, the Bobcats appear headed toward a rare rebuilding campaign. Lewis Morris will turn to a strong junior class, including returning starters Tyler Potter (12.5) and Jake Patterson (4.8). Candidates inside include 6-4 Jesse Green and 6-5 Lake Slusher, both juniors. Ben Collettt, Josh Asher and Austin Gambrel, all juniors, are also candidates to start.

10. Harlan —*The Green Dragons showed signs of being a much improved team last season with victories over Middlesboro and Pineville and an overtime loss to Barbourville.
Consistency and improved ball-handling will be crucial to the success of the Dragons, who will feature a senior-dominated lineup led by forwards David Allen (10.5) and Dakota Morris (3.3) and guard Cody Logan (5.6). Manny Davis (4.6), a junior guard, and Isaiah Johnson (7.5), a shot-blocking sophomore forward, will likely round out the lineup after several big games off the bench last year.

Best of the rest — Jackson County, Barbourville, Whitley County, WIlliamsburg, Lynn Camp, Oneida Baptist and Red Bird.
Harlan co.
Cant argue with that.
Im not sure why i even attend bball games anymore lol.
We havent had a decent year since 82.
Not much difference between Harlan Co., North, Clay Co. I believe North Laurel should get the edge early to me becasue of the two big kids (Allen(6'7) and Rush(6'4)). They are also coming off a 13th region title.
Good post. I agree that there really isn't a lot of separation between the top 3 teams. Harlan County has been the most consistent over 3 years but can't quite make that next leap, but they just may this year. North Laurel shocked some people last year outside of London. Clay County has 3 really solid players back and Bowling is a sleeper. McDaniel isn't just a golfer but one of the most underrated players in the mountains and maybe state. He scored more points as a freshman than any other player in the 13th region tournament. No disrespect to Marcus Carson but I believe he had 14 more than him. Should be an interesting year in the 13th with about 6 or 7 really good basketball players. Watch out for Kody Reed who can BALL when he shows up.

Again, good truthful post.
Jackson Co will be moving on up the ladder in the 13th. The 49th district will be a battle this year.
Excited to see the 49th district teams playing in the regular season this year. Clay Co.,North Laurel, and Jackson Co. all playing home-home series this season.:Clap:
This is kind of off the subject but when coach Mike Jones decides to retire from basketball I feel that his son Michael would be the best bet.....The kids LOVE Coach Michael and he is young and entergetic....Big Mike in my opinion is the best basketball coach ever in Harlan County and that includes his stay at Harlan Ind. But when he gives it up...Michael would be the best bet for the program to even go farther....the kids would run through a brick wall for him...besides the fact that he is a very very very intelligent coach. Just my opinion.
bear claw Wrote:This is kind of off the subject but when coach Mike Jones decides to retire from basketball I feel that his son Michael would be the best bet.....The kids LOVE Coach Michael and he is young and entergetic....Big Mike in my opinion is the best basketball coach ever in Harlan County and that includes his stay at Harlan Ind. But when he gives it up...Michael would be the best bet for the program to even go farther....the kids would run through a brick wall for him...besides the fact that he is a very very very intelligent coach. Just my opinion.

Mike Jones is not a better coach than Billy Hicks.
bear claw Wrote:This is kind of off the subject but when coach Mike Jones decides to retire from basketball I feel that his son Michael would be the best bet.....The kids LOVE Coach Michael and he is young and entergetic.....

To get the job at one of the best basketball programs in the region, you should have to have more on your resume than just being the son of a coach. Harlan County could attract bigger names.
I would agree with YNWA statement and also disagree. If Harlan Co. was a school like Ballard, Lex. Cath, or Scott Co. I would believe the resume statement would be very true, but they are not. The program at Harlan Co. is very young and not on that level yet. They have only had a program for a short amount of time. The b-ball talent at that school has just started to become even with the top programs in the 13th. Little Mike would do a really good job at any school in my opinion. Every coach just like Hicks, and Jones had to get that chance. For Example: Just look at what the young coach from Corbin has done. I believe he had never been a head coach before getting the head job at Corbin. So, that is why I would both agree and disagree with that statement.

Back to the original question (Early season picks)
I believe North, Harlan Co., and Clay Co. will be my early picks to win the 13th. I would put Pineville, South L., and Jackson Co. also as possible sleeper teams.
Mike Jones doesn't get to pick and choose who he wants on his team....Jones is just as good if not better than Hicks.
YNWA, that is about the silliest statement that I have ever heard...I mean how do coaches get started? Well, for one thing that have to be given a chance and little Mike is just as qualified as ANYONE to take over this team when big Mike decides to give it up.
YNWA Wrote:Mike Jones is not a better coach than Billy Hicks.

Both are among the top coaches in Kentucky and have been for many years. Both have had success everywhere they've been. Perhaps the earlier statement was based on Jones' success as a coach in Harlan County. I think he's won more games than anyone coaching Harlan County teams.
bear claw Wrote:YNWA, that is about the silliest statement that I have ever heard...I mean how do coaches get started? Well, for one thing that have to be given a chance and little Mike is just as qualified as ANYONE to take over this team when big Mike decides to give it up.

A lot of coaches work their way up the coaching ladder. Starting out at a small school, experiencing success, then moving to an elite program.
YNWA, I can't believe that you would say that about Mike Jones. When Mike Jones was at Clay County he did take a decent squad to state but that's beside the point. To mention him in the same breath as a guy like Billy Hicks is just crazy. To me, Hicks is right there with Keith and will be the all-time wins leader when it is all said and done, maybe by a long shot. I don't know much about Michael but let him get started at a 1A or 2A type school, not a bigger school like Harlan County. Work your way up, as said before.
The 13th has only had a few elite programs over the past 30 years. I would put Clay co. In the 80's, Harlan mid 90's, and Corbin would be the most recent.
Even if there are many teams better than us, gotta root for Middlesboro all the way! GO JACKETS!
You guys are crazy if you think coach Jones is one of the best coaches in the state. He would be lucky to be top five in the region behind coach p at corbin ,phipps at B'ville,Strange at P'ville.Sizemore At N.L.and Bells coach.And how can Harlan Co be one of the best programs in the region they have never one a region game.
Mike Jones (Harlan, Clay County, Harlan County) (26) 571-241
Sounds like a few guys on here have got off the subject. Jones is a winning coach and everyone knows that. Love him or hate him his teams are always hard-nosed and they play smart on both ends of the floor. Good Luck to Coach Jones and all of the other coaches in the region.
Does anyone know what 13th teams are in the WYMT this year? I have not seen anything posted yet on that.
insideinfo....I know you have a right to have your own opinion but you are smokin you know what if you don't think Jones has been and still is one of the best coaches in the state....I mean the man has almost 600 wins.
HDE, I have thought of something interesting. I wonder what the all-time record between Jones and Hicks teams would be dating all the way back to the 80's.
Harlan Co. should be the favorite since they will be playing at home.
Who will be the top players in the region?
The 2013 WYMT Basketball Classic at Perry Central High School

Clay County and Harlan County from the 13th

Hazard,Perry Central, Knott Central and Breathitt Co from the 14th

Sheldon Clark and Betsy Layne from the 15th
HDE Wrote:Mike Jones (Harlan, Clay County, Harlan County) (26) 571-241

I loved Coach Jones teams at Harlan ind. even made the trip to Harlan to watch them play a couple times. But you cannot compare 600 wins in the 13th region to 600 wins in the 11th region . Thats like comparing single A baseball to major league baseball. J M O.
insideinfo Wrote:I loved Coach Jones teams at Harlan ind. even made the trip to Harlan to watch them play a couple times. But you cannot compare 600 wins in the 13th region to 600 wins in the 11th region . Thats like comparing single A baseball to major league baseball. J M O.

I didn't compare the two regions. You were ranking him below several coaches whose records were not as good as Jones' record over the years.
I'm going with Harlan County. That's awesome that they have a guy named James Bond lol. And this isn't a knock on the young man - I'm sure he's a great young man and I wish him all the best. But I love that name lol!