Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region preseason picks?
PT - Paintsville hasn't done anything in quite some time..............
jetpilot Wrote:PT - Paintsville hasn't done anything in quite some time..............
Was talking in a past 30-40 years context. But they still have done a lot more than schools a lot bigger than them the past 15.
ForearmShiver Wrote:Didn't Ray Kasongo and Tony Wolter just transfer to Pikeville?
Unless I am missing something, Wolter is not in EKY.

Kasongo enrolled at Pikeville today.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Unless I am missing something, Wolter is not in EKY.

Kasongo and brother enrolled today.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Unless I am missing something, Wolter is not in EKY.

Hate to hear that Wolter isn't around. I enjoyed watching him play last season a couple times. But Kasongo and his brother should help you guys!
honestjchsfan Wrote:Good for you! I am not knocking Paintsville in anyway. Joey Couch and John Pelphrey are both class acts. I will say that I stood over at PHS football field last season and heard Bill Mike say he could "win the 15th Region every year with the talent at JCHS that is wasted". Seems he knows alot about JC's histroy too. Look, you have the pleasure of working at JC while Jim Matney is setting a example to everyone there on what it takes to be a winner and what Class is all about.

Wasn't calling you out. Sorry if you took it that way. I just hoping people would quit making both systems look so petty over the little things.

I have heard coach Runyon say the same thing about the halls of JC. And a few years he may have had that opportunity. Runyon is one of the best ever in the 15th. Plus Matney is one of the best coaches in the mountains even before he came to JC. They both have had great careers and the next few should be great to watch on both sides of the creek.
Johnson Central
1. Johnson Central
2. Shelby Valley
3. Pikeville
4. Betsy layne
5. Magoffin County
6. Belfry
7. Paintsville
8. Prestonsburg
9.Sheldon Clark
10. East Ridge
11. South Floyd
12. Lawrence County
13. Allen Central
14. Phelps
15. Piarist

I dont think you can get much better rankings than this.
This is if all the rosters stay the same and everyone gets eligible, then this will be the rankings no doubt.
Jc returns everything .
Pikeville added kasongos + Rowe will be hard to handle.
SV returns almost everthing I believe plus top scorers.
Betsy layne returns everything but roberts which Lako daniels stepped up in summer and took that spot, solid rebounder.
Magoffin lost a few seniors but still arent very young and they return Pitts
Pike central returned all Key players last year , there just young and really dont have a go to guy everyone that gets to play on that team could score the same amount.
Prestonsburg losing 5 seniors . Had a very deep team last year. Will go around 6-7 deep this year with a few new players stepping up.
Sheldon Clark lost johnson, enough said there, young team.
East Ridge losing wolter and kasongo... enough said there aswell, watched them play in the summer with just kasongo and was a completely different team without Wolter. Now without kasongo i dont know what theyll do.
Allen central losing basically everything. Small, young.
Belfry looks pretty tough this year. Messer will carry them as far as he can .
Phelps well theres not much there.
Paintsville will be better than most people think with tiller senior season I believe. Young but has talent.
Lawrence co very very very young, youngest team in the region I do believe, lack of size but very good guard play. Wont be able to compete with bigger teams.
South Floyd loses marson as leading scoring... return a few players. Should be about the same as last year.
Piarist, same as always.
I think that sums it up.
1. Johnson Central
2. Shelby Valley
3. Pikeville
4. Betsy Layne
5. Magoffin County
6. Belfry
7. Paintsville
8. Prestonsburg
9. Pike Central ***********
10. Sheldon Clark
11. East Ridge
12. South Floyd
13. Lawrence County
14. Allen Central
15. Phelps
16. Piarist
Left Out pike central last post, oopps.
^I may be biased. BUT, The Tigers, with the experience the younger ones got last season along with Daniels returning and a few off season additions. IMO, the Tigers SHOULD be a top 5 team. Not going to disagree though with your top 3. 4 thru 7 just all depends on who shows up each night.

Should be another exciting year in the 15th!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Any changes after any of you have been watching scrimmages?
^ I'll let you know after I watch some scrimmages tonight!
Watched Magoffin and Johnson Central play yesterday. Magoffin won both games. Hornets looked very good. Central didn't look bad but not as good as I expected them to be. Shane Hall didn't do much either. He had a really nice dunk from a lob, a few blocks and I'm sure he had plenty of rebounds. I really like the way Braxton Blair plays for them. He's a solid point guard and can score pretty well. The beat thing JC had going for them IMO was their full court press. But it was just a scrimmage so take it for what it's worth. I'm ready for the season to start.
Best instead of beat I my last post. On my iPhone. I hate auto-correct lol
1. Johnson Central
2. Pikeville
3. Shelby Valley
4. Paintsville
5. Shelton Clark
6. Belfry
7. Betsy Layne
8. East Ridge
9. Magoffin Co
10. Pike Co Central
I got to see the magoffin ,johnson central game magoffin looked pretty good like the new coachthey played really hard . Thats what its all about keeping kids focused and playing hard.
BluegrassHoops1972 Wrote:1. Johnson Central
2. Pikeville
3. Shelby Valley
4. Paintsville
5. Shelton Clark
6. Belfry
7. Betsy Layne
8. East Ridge
9. Magoffin Co
10. Pike Co Central

I believe you need to do some research and consider re-doing your top 10 lol
basketball101 Wrote:I got to see the magoffin ,johnson central game magoffin looked pretty good like the new coachthey played really hard . Thats what its all about keeping kids focused and playing hard.

Should be very interesting this season.
Hsbasketballfanatic Wrote:1. Johnson Central
2. Shelby Valley
3. Pikeville
4. Betsy Layne
5. Magoffin County
6. Belfry
7. Paintsville
8. Prestonsburg
9. Pike Central ***********
10. Sheldon Clark
11. East Ridge
12. South Floyd
13. Lawrence County
14. Allen Central
15. Phelps
16. Piarist
Left Out pike central last post, oopps.
I believe Lawrence Co. Should move up a spot or two after the games I watched last night.
AC i looking good beat phelps by 32
East Ridge is looking pretty good in practice with the return of Wolter. Even without Kasongo, I'm sure with a more experienced coach the Warriors can return back to the 15th title game.
Cougar Connection Wrote:1.JC
2.SC
3.SV
4.ER
5.PHS (Paintsville)
6.Magoffin
7.Betsy Layne
8.Pikeville
9.South Floyd
10.Prestonsburg
11.Belfry
12.Pike Central
13.Lawrence
14.Phelps
15.Allen Central
No idea why your saying Allen Central 15 cause they have top 7 PG in the 15th region in Junior Handshoe and a sharpshooter in Mason Nelson. Got some nice depth to them too. So I say they will be top 10 at least.
1 JC
2 SV
3 Magoffin
4 Pikeville
5 Betsy Layne
6 Belfry
7 Paintsville
8 SC
9 East Ridge
10 Pike Central
11 Lawrence
12 Prestonsburg
13 Allen Central
14 South Floyd
15 Phelps
16 Piarist
dozerdawg707 Wrote:1 JC
2 SV
3 Magoffin
4 Pikeville
5 Betsy Layne
6 Belfry
7 Paintsville
8 SC
9 East Ridge
10 Pike Central
11 Lawrence
12 Prestonsburg
13 Allen Central
14 South Floyd
15 Phelps
16 Piarist
After last night SV and Betsy Layne have to drop several spots. Both teams had bad shooting nights and are better than that.
I am going to go with valley...I hope so anyway!!
AC is my sleeper team young but very good
dozerdawg707 Wrote:1 JC
2 SV
3 Magoffin
4 Pikeville
5 Betsy Layne
6 Belfry
7 Paintsville
8 SC
9 East Ridge
10 Pike Central
11 Lawrence
12 Prestonsburg
13 Allen Central
14 South Floyd
15 Phelps
16 Piarist

This is one of the better looking pre-season rankings i've seen on this thread, except maybe for Piarist, I don't really know anything about Piarist so I could be wrong. The one thing I seen that you done was put Magoffin in the top 5 which I agree completely with after what they showed they could do by beating Johnson Central in scrimmage but it's just a scrimmage, we'll have to see how well they perform in regular before making certain of anything but I agree that Johnson Central is at the top of region especially after watching the way they played against Henry Clay at the fastlane classic last weeked.
^Magoffin ALWAYS plays JC tough. No matter when or where they play. It just seems as though they struggle every where else though. But, they for sure have the size and talent.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
I would say JC is the favorite coming in to the season. Belfry goes as far as Messer.