Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Pike Central need a new coach at the end of the season?
I think they really do because from the players quitting I have heard it is because the coaches were always putting players down and not trying to pick them up n e at all. I think they need a new one.
I was told that some players were qutting Central but could you explain a little more as in who and why (only if it isn't too personal!)
"Beef" Wrote:I was told that some players were qutting Central but could you explain a little more as in who and why (only if it isn't too personal!)

They have had a total of about 10 players quit because of the reason just mentioned not sure who though.
10 players! There is no way that is true....if so...any good players quit?
"Beef" Wrote:10 players! There is no way that is true....if so...any good players quit?

Some good ones and it is true
can you give out any names of these players that quit?
Quote:I think they really do because from the players quitting I have heard it is because the coaches were always putting players down and not trying to pick them up n e at all. I think they need a new one.

I disagree totaly...David Rowe is one of the best coaches in the 15th like him or not even if u like his coaching techniques or not. You can not base how good a coach is on by how players can not take critasim. If david rowe did resign or if he got fired then who would get the job...

Phillip "the thrill" Birchfield would get the new head coaching job and from what i hear he is as bad or if not worse with critasism...

Players this day in age worry to much about playing time and what is said to them b/c they think they should b considered the all star...and one problem with this is there mommys and daddys who are up in the stands...

i know of one player u are refering to quiting b/c of what was said but im not going to mention any names... He wasnt playing good lately on the court nor in the practice i saw a couple weeks back... he did not do anything to improve or to change David's nor any other coaches look on him.

He was being out hustled by 2 or 3 players one being Brandon Charles, another being Channing Thacker both players may not b GREAT players but they contribute very nice as role players...

David Rowe will never change the way he coaches point blank and that should be respected if people do not like that and he does get ran off from Pike Central then i wish him the best of luck on where ever he goes b/c he is a great coach and person and has stuck by how he belives is the best way to coach...
So were not going to get any names of players that have quit??
I agree 15th. Every coach has their own style. Some work and some do not. And not every coach is a fit with certain schools. IMO PC's coach has in the past done a very good job. Just a few points away from the State Tourny just last year. Just because this season he has had some kids quite doesn't make him a bad coach. I would bet give him some games and he will have those kids who want to play better than what he had. I also agree that often it is the parents to blame. Some parents think and make there kid think they are an all star and the best around and should never come out of a game. Truth is it takes 5 sometimes more to make a good team and I don't see to many L James in the 15th. Team work not individual play wins championships. I would take a bunch of kids that want to hustle and play over talent any day.
Why is it always the coaches fault when a player quits or gets discouraged? Sometimes a players problems need to be addressed from within that players gut!
I heard that eric slone and gordon varney both have quit the team!
Yes Dirty they did quit and are the only 2 that i recall that have quit on Varsity.

Now i think we have an answer to POO's question!!!

No Central doesnt need a change and that the players need to suck it up if they truely LOVE the game.
I think they should find a new coach. He should have went to state when he had Shawn Scott and company and when he had Bobby Mullins/Chase Lyons combo.
Quote:I think they should find a new coach. He should have went to state when he had Shawn Scott and company and when he had Bobby Mullins/Chase Lyons combo.

Thats about like saying that those 2 teams should have made it when JR. Vanhoose and company were around. LOL

Did u think about the other competiton in the region at those times b-4 u posted.

And the year that Chase and Bobby played they had SV beat but a stupied foul lost it for them in the first round at home.
yeah I did think about it, im simply my opinion.
I don't know if he should resign or anything, but I think he should open his eyes a little more to players who try out and are good. Instead of taking kids who can shoot and play but don't want to give it a complete effort.. I've seen this happed too many times, and that is why these kids quit. Because they know all they have to do is say, ahh I think I want to play again, and they will come back and go back to whatever position they were play. If they started then, you can rest assured that when they get back, they might not start the first game back, but give it a game or two and they will be back in the starting lineup.
This year, I know of three players who've quit.

If you say that "put-downs" is a reason for his resignation or whatever, then you might as well have every coach resign. Let's get rid of Central's Lady's coach aswell. She's been known to tell girls that they are overweight and need to loose a few pounds when they barely have any meat on them at all. You also might as well ask for the resignation of all basketball coaches, period. If you've ever played basketball for a successful team then you know that a coach is going to give put-downs as a form of motivation. Whether or not it is right or wrong, it has shown over the years that those who are dedicated atheletes will perform to their best ability with that type of motiviation. Those lacking, probably won't. They'll quit. Don't blame the coach, blame the players.
There has been Four players to quit this season. Brian Ratliff, Derek Rowe, Gordon Varney, Eric Slone. Three out of these four players can play. Coach Rowe is a so so coach. I know coaches personally who could take PC to the 15 and win. Coach Rowe has been doing it for 11 years and hasn't did anything. The 60th district is so weak so winning that doesn't really count. I think Coach Rowe should have been fired years ago. Ask anyone who has any knowledge of basketball they would tell you the same. For example, Pikeville is just now realizing that Coach Thomas is horrible. Its just taking Pike Central fans a little while longer. Coach Rowe only knows how to run one style of offense. Which is throw it down to the big man. There is no guard play. Brad Lowe right now does what he does on his own. P. Birchfield i dont think could do any better. He tells Rowe what to do so in my opinion two wrongs don't make a right. Something needs to be done.
Quote:Coach Thomas is horrible

im guessing thats why he took them to the state tournament right Super. But he doesnt want to b there any more thats y hes doing so bad.

if players cant take what is handed to them then let them quit is what i have to say.

Realy the only ones that i realy c on ur list of 4 Mario that realy even contributed to the team was Slone and Varney and neither one of them did much besides gave those who started a break. Rowe and Ratliff both quit b-4 half way through the reason and actually if im not mistaking Ratliff didnt even show up to a practice and if he did it was only like 2. Rowe didnt realy get to play much if im not mistaking and the only reasoning i could think of him quitting was either he didnt like it or he didnt get to play when he thought he should have been.

David Rowe has out coached some of the best in the 15th region so all i have to say is quit thinking that the players are always right and suck it up. Rowe is doing a great job at PC this season mayb not by 4 players quiting but those who want to play have realy sucked it up and steped up for those who didnt wanna play and quit.

Chase snodgrass is a prime example do u realy think he likes playing from what ive heard he hates it but he sucks it up and when hes out on the court he hustles more than any one.

So get over it Rowe is there for however long he wants the job he will not get fired point blank and if anyone on here thinks they can do better than Rowe fell free to put ur self in his shoes.

Quote:should open his eyes a little more to players who try out and are good.

who do u think is playing the ones who want to b there and the ones who show him that they want to play it doesnt just happen on the court u have to show it in the practice.

Give me 5 players with heart and pride and id put them out there b-4 a bunch of all stars who goof off in practice in coaches shoes u have to have discipline and in my eyes David Rowe has shown dicipline did u watch the Phelps game Lowe and Gibson werent playing with heart and they got benched so right there is another example that he isnt hard on just the ones who quit and if im not mistaking he ripped those two while they sat on the bench.
SlammaBamma, I dont' knwo what's goin on this season. Cause I rarely watch PC play bball anymore.. I just know when I went to school there, and for a couple years after that, there was some talent there but they weren't given a second look. These were kids I know wanted to play more than anything, but instead they were cut for players, who really didn't want to be there.
Sorry taxi i thought that u was refering to players playing and then quiting. and i know of one of the kids ur refering to ive never saw him play but from sources i hear he was a good ball player
"15thRegionSlamaBamma" Wrote:Sorry taxi i thought that u was refering to players playing and then quiting. and i know of one of the kids ur refering to ive never saw him play but from sources i hear he was a good ball player

No prob my man.. like I said, I don't know much about them now, I just know how it used to be Confusedhock:
if Pikeville beats them Friday then yes they do need a new coach
just a joke!
Rowe is just fine where he is!
Here's you some FACTS to chew on. B.Ratliff chose not to play after getting in to problems at school. Coach Rowe invited and allowed him back to help him. He chose not to return (this is before seaon was 1 week old) De.Rowe- Previous quitter from a year or so back, given chance to play this year. Coach Rowe allowed to play and suspended due to academics. Missed tons of practice for various reasons and received little playing time as a result.Quit then. E.Slone-1st year player to system as transfer, no clue what was going on but still getting playing time.Quit because G. Varney got to start last week. G. Varney- struggling sophomre who got a starting spot on Tuesday and quit on Wednesday..that makes sense huh? Not as much glory in bball for him as was in football plus being made to play from home.. heart wasnt in it. Change coach on the bench or change the hearts in player's chests???
That was a very nice post green frog couldnt agree more
"greenfrog" Wrote:Here's you some FACTS to chew on. B.Ratliff chose not to play after getting in to problems at school. Coach Rowe invited and allowed him back to help him. He chose not to return (this is before seaon was 1 week old) De.Rowe- Previous quitter from a year or so back, given chance to play this year. Coach Rowe allowed to play and suspended due to academics. Missed tons of practice for various reasons and received little playing time as a result.Quit then. E.Slone-1st year player to system as transfer, no clue what was going on but still getting playing time.Quit because G. Varney got to start last week. G. Varney- struggling sophomre who got a starting spot on Tuesday and quit on Wednesday..that makes sense huh? Not as much glory in bball for him as was in football plus being made to play from home.. heart wasnt in it. Change coach on the bench or change the hearts in player's chests???

I dont think that was the reason because Slone claims that when he talked to Rowe, Rowe said,"When Brad Lowe comes back you all will be back down the line." He has always relied on one player ex:Chase Lyons, Brad Lowe,Barry Sanders, Shawn Scott, Jamie hamilton, and Bobby Mullins so what is the use for others to play when they are just there to give one person the ball. It is a TEAM sport not I sport. There is no "I" in TEAM..
"PooPooHead" Wrote:
"greenfrog" Wrote:Here's you some FACTS to chew on. B.Ratliff chose not to play after getting in to problems at school. Coach Rowe invited and allowed him back to help him. He chose not to return (this is before seaon was 1 week old) De.Rowe- Previous quitter from a year or so back, given chance to play this year. Coach Rowe allowed to play and suspended due to academics. Missed tons of practice for various reasons and received little playing time as a result.Quit then. E.Slone-1st year player to system as transfer, no clue what was going on but still getting playing time.Quit because G. Varney got to start last week. G. Varney- struggling sophomre who got a starting spot on Tuesday and quit on Wednesday..that makes sense huh? Not as much glory in bball for him as was in football plus being made to play from home.. heart wasnt in it. Change coach on the bench or change the hearts in player's chests???

I dont think that was the reason because Slone claims that when he talked to Rowe, Rowe said,"When Brad Lowe comes back you all will be back down the line." He has always relied on one player ex:Chase Lyons, Brad Lowe,Barry Sanders, Shawn Scott, Jamie hamilton, and Bobby Mullins so what is the use for others to play when they are just there to give one person the ball. It is a TEAM sport not I sport. There is no "I" in TEAM..

This is the way I have seen it since I've been following Central. Why should some of these kids put heart into it, or effort, knowing that no matter how hard they work, it's not goin to pay off. The coaching staff has their picks of who is goin to get the ball who is goin to shoot the ball, and who is goin to have the ball in their hands at almost every point in the game. The bench players will always be bench players, unless one of the starters get hurt or quit. Doen't matter what grade they are in.
The key to a great ball team is having a couple of players who can step up and play and then having so called role players. For Pike Central this year there go to players are Brad Lowe on the permeter and who can take it to the hole and then Gibson down low. Look at the hole aspect of the game you will always have those players who are offensive machiens and those who are defensive machines. You just have to be well oiled to b an all around ball player. Those kids who you are tlaking about that are on the bench and c no time off of the bench if you look the majority of those kids on the bench are freshman for Pike Central besides one and that being Jon Reynolds. Issac Willamson saw no time for the Hawks until Varney and SLone quit the ball team. Pike Central has about 2 or 3 solid players who can come off the bench and give them some good minutes.

Quote:Rowe said,"When Brad Lowe comes back you all will be back down the line."

Dont make Rowe sound like the bad person Slone originaly made the notion of when Lowe comes back ill be back on the bench and Rowe gave him an honest answer and Slone took the easiest way out of that by quitting instead of working his but off and getting better ive saw many no name players come out of there shell and was good athelets. So point blank Rowe is a good coach but no one likes his coaching Style and we all know this is correct
"15thRegionSlamaBamma" Wrote:The key to a great ball team is having a couple of players who can step up and play and then having so called role players. For Pike Central this year there go to players are Brad Lowe on the permeter and who can take it to the hole and then Gibson down low. Look at the hole aspect of the game you will always have those players who are offensive machiens and those who are defensive machines. You just have to be well oiled to b an all around ball player. Those kids who you are tlaking about that are on the bench and c no time off of the bench if you look the majority of those kids on the bench are freshman for Pike Central besides one and that being Jon Reynolds. Issac Willamson saw no time for the Hawks until Varney and SLone quit the ball team. Pike Central has about 2 or 3 solid players who can come off the bench and give them some good minutes.

I agree with this to an extent..And I think Rowe might be getting better at alternating players or whatever, but from about 93 to 01, who did everyone hear about? Two players come to mind. Shawn Scott, and Jaimie Hamilton. These two were good players, and I don't know much about the Hamilton era, but during the time of Scott, I didn't know there was anyone else on the team.
[/quote]Dont make Rowe sound like the bad person Slone originaly made the notion of when Lowe comes back ill be back on the bench and Rowe gave him an honest answer and Slone took the easiest way out of that by quitting instead of working his but off and getting better ive saw many no name players come out of there shell and was good athelets. So point blank Rowe is a good coach but no one likes his coaching Style and we all know this is correct[/quote]

If Slone did work his butt off no matter how hard, It wouldnt have helped him any in the long run. Thats what CrazyTaxi was talking about. I agree that some players quit because of not "sucking it up". I would say it wasnt easy for slone to quit, he probably didn't want to but i would say he felt that no one gave him credit for anything hes ever did for the team. Its like he was used.