Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abuse at Campbell Lodge Boys’ Home
A very sad story

Cincinnati Enquirer: Campbell Lodge
Mark Branham thought children at the Campbell Lodge Boys’ Home were choked and beaten until bruised, and nothing was being done.

The burly 6-foot-tall and 315-pound school resource officer cried on his way home from work for two weeks and prayed to God for guidance on how to help the residents at the facility for at-risk youths.

“It weighed on my mind,” Branham, a Campbell County Middle School resource officer, told The Enquirer. “All this bad stuff was happening to them, but because they were labeled bad kids, no one was listening.”

He filed a police report with Campbell County authorities in April 2011, but it was dismissed as unsubstantiated in just 6½ hours. He was set to file a report with Kentucky State Police in February, but didn’t have to because state inspectors following up on a different complaint from workers at the lodge soon ordered it closed.

“Some of these kids have nobody,” said Branham, who has a 10-year-old son. “They needed a voice, so I became their voice.”

The children confided to Branham that they were violently punished – choked, beaten. One child said a staff member used children as punching bags while practicing mixed martial arts. Another said male staff members forcibly tried to get him to kiss another boy at the home.

He filed the report in April 2011 after a child said a staff member grabbed him around the neck in a head lock and dragged him through a hallway. The child said he filed written grievances intended for the home’s administrators only to watch the staff rip them up, pour coffee on them and throw them in the trash.

Branham, a police officer in Alexandria where the middle school is located, filed the report with Campbell County Police because the home falls in its jurisdiction.

A county detective began investigating at 9:30 a.m. and by 4 p.m. closed the case as unsubstantiated. The detective interviewed two children at the home, Branham, a middle school counselor, the home’s executive director, the home’s safety crisis management instructor and the staff member who was accused of choking the child.
Page 2 : 'These boys do not deserve this'

Campbell County Police Chief Keith Hill defended his detective’s actions. He said the home’s executive director, Barry Jones, who has since been fired, told the detective that staff members do not choke the children, that wrestling was not allowed and that the staff received training on how to properly restrain children.

Jones told the detective the allegations would be forwarded to the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services, Hill said.

That didn’t happen, according to a spokeswoman for the cabinet. Beth Crace Fisher said there is no record of Jones notifying the agency of the allegations. The cabinet is responsible for regulating the facility and regularly placed the majority of the children at the home.

Jones’ attorney, Walter Hornbeck, said his client has been cooperating with the cabinet but said the cabinet was notified of the allegations. He said the home’s administration reported the allegation to the cabinet.

He said a cabinet worker came to the home and conducted an investigation and that documentation of this would be in the home’s files.

Campbell Lodge attorney, Ben Dusing, wouldn’t answer specific questions about the child’s allegations and resulting county police investigation.

“The lodge does, however, take a measure of comfort in the authorities’ formal finding that the allegations in that instance were found unsubstantiated,” Dusing said.

Branham’s boss, Alexandria Police Lt. George Schreiner, would not comment about the county investigation, but Branham said conditions at the home did not improve.

“My reporting the incident just made it 10 times worse on the kid,” Branham said. “I just know it did. In my heart, I just know it did.”

Branham decided to call Kentucky State Police when a second child came forward in February. That child told Branham about a male staff member who wrestled the children and tried to force two residents to kiss.

“We were not going down the same road again,” Branham said of the failure of county police to bring improvement. “We were going to do this one the right way. Someone was going to pay. These boys do not deserve this.”
Page 3: No criminal charges filed

A Kentucky couple who entrusted a child to the lodge for aggression issues recalled receiving the call in March to come pick up their foster son.

The mother described a surreal scene where children were standing outside the home carrying trash bags filled with their belongings. State inspectors roaming around the lodge.

The foster mother said she became skeptical of the care her soon was receiving at the lodge soon after he was placed there.

“I could tell it wasn’t on the up and up,” said the child’s foster mother.

She noticed the boy losing weight during his three months stay. He began hoarding food during home visits. The child’s aggression issues did not abate and during home visits she worried he might harm another foster son.

“I am glad it is closed,” Branham said.

Still, he is frustrated that it took 11 months after his initial complaint for the children to be removed. He is also astonished none of the home’s employees have been criminally charged to date. Branham believes someone should at least be charged with the misdemeanor crime of endangering the welfare of a minor.

Fisher, the spokeswoman for the cabinet, said they sometimes work with law enforcement or share their findings with police, but she wouldn’t specifically comment on the cabinet’s investigation into the home.

State police and the attorney general’s office said they have no criminal investigation into the lodge. Campbell Commonwealth’s Attorney Michelle Snodgrass, the top law enforcement official for the county, declined to say whether there is a criminal investigation.

“I would have liked to have seen somebody get charged,” Branham said. “They shouldn’t be touching the boys like that.”
Wow, my wife lived a 1/4 mile from the Lodge when we were dating. Amazing story, but unfortunately not a surprising one. My prayers is about all I can comment on now...
This story is full of lies!!!! This officer is just trying to make a name for himself and the boys are put in this home due to the fact that they are at risk or their parents can't control them because they are pathological liars, in gangs, have no respect, ect. The only time these kids were put in a head lock was to be controlled when they had tried to hurt themselves or others around them. Talk to people who actually were involved with this home, volunteering day by day, or boys that had been in the home and graduated, i can not tell you how many i have heard say " i don't want to leave". Before you go giving credit to a police officer on a power trip due to the fact that he can't fill the shoes of officer stumpy learn the facts and do research. Don't go rubbing a name in the dirt that you don't know in the slightest bit!!
^
What a rage filled first post. lol.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
What a rage filled first post. lol.

L o L
Benjamin crazy.
That sums it up - he has the word crazy in his name soooo..
Crazy sounding story - my thoughts are with the people involved.
And sounds like people in the situation need help - period.
benjamincrazy9 Wrote:This story is full of lies!!!! This officer is just trying to make a name for himself and the boys are put in this home due to the fact that they are at risk or their parents can't control them because they are pathological liars, in gangs, have no respect, ect. The only time these kids were put in a head lock was to be controlled when they had tried to hurt themselves or others around them. Talk to people who actually were involved with this home, volunteering day by day, or boys that had been in the home and graduated, i can not tell you how many i have heard say " i don't want to leave". Before you go giving credit to a police officer on a power trip due to the fact that he can't fill the shoes of officer stumpy learn the facts and do research. Don't go rubbing a name in the dirt that you don't know in the slightest bit!!

i love rage, but don't tell me, tell that to the guy who wrote the story

Jim Hannah
Cincinnati Enquier
[email]jhannah@nky.com[/email]
benjamincrazy9 Wrote:This story is full of lies!!!! This officer is just trying to make a name for himself and the boys are put in this home due to the fact that they are at risk or their parents can't control them because they are pathological liars, in gangs, have no respect, ect. The only time these kids were put in a head lock was to be controlled when they had tried to hurt themselves or others around them. Talk to people who actually were involved with this home, volunteering day by day, or boys that had been in the home and graduated, i can not tell you how many i have heard say " i don't want to leave". Before you go giving credit to a police officer on a power trip due to the fact that he can't fill the shoes of officer stumpy learn the facts and do research. Don't go rubbing a name in the dirt that you don't know in the slightest bit!!
So what did happen? Something did to force the state to close the place down. These kids deserved better than this no matter what their background was.
^Well said.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
nky.com - Whistleblowers say Lodge retaliated against them

COLD SPRING — The bishop for Diocese of Covington removed the 15-member board of the troubled Campbell Lodge Boys’ Home the same day four former employees filed a lawsuit claiming they were retaliated against for exposing neglect at the nonprofit.

“My very first concern is for the residents of the (lodge), for their safety and well-being,” Bishop Roger Foys wrote in a statement to The Enquirer. “It is my hope that they will find a safe haven and be treated with the dignity and respect due every person.

“After having reviewed the investigative reports I believe it is necessary to have a fresh set of eyes evaluate what future the Home may have in our Diocese.”
nky Wrote:So what did happen? Something did to force the state to close the place down. These kids deserved better than this no matter what their background was.

This is riddled with so many rumors, it's getting hard to follow. This could be a really big scandal in little old NKY that could affect a lot of people!