Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roku
Anyone have one? Anyone know anything about it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I know if you have Directv they block Roku stuff
I bought one as a gift for my parents and plan to by one for myself. They are very small, draw very little power, and are easy to setup and operate. They work well with Netflix, Amazon videos, etc.
what is this?
I have two in my house. They work well for what they do. I use Amazon, NBA Lite, Pandora, and Weather Plus the most.
Strikeout King Wrote:what is this?
It is a little device that is slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes (3" x 3" x 0.9") that streams video to your TV. For $100 or less, you get a device that will let you wirelessly stream HD video (up to 1080p) from your network to your TV. It also comes with a small remote and there are apps that let you control it with an iPad, Android tablet, etc.

[Image: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41...AA300_.jpg]
What is the best alternative to paying for satellite or cable if I only wanted 3 or 4 channels?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It is a little device that is slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes (3" x 3" x 0.9") that streams video to your TV. For $100 or less, you get a device that will let you wirelessly stream HD video (up to 1080p) from your network to your TV. It also comes with a small remote and there are apps that let you control it with an iPad, Android tablet, etc.

[Image: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41...AA300_.jpg]

I assume the quality is only as good as your bandwidth?
Ive never heard of it, now you all have me interested.
Sweet!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Stardust Wrote:I assume the quality is only as good as your bandwidth?

That goes with any streaming service.

I have used a Roku box with a 3 MB cable connection and streamed Netflix in HD with no problems. However, if my wife is hitting up pinterest on the tablet or downloading a large file on the computer you can notice a dent in the quality.

I ended up selling mine because I have too many devices to stream video with lol
Stardust Wrote:I assume the quality is only as good as your bandwidth?
Yes and I am blessed with plenty of bandwidth. The quality was excellent with two people on wireless laptop connections and one on a VOIP phone call. I configured the device here and tried it out before taking it to Kentucky.

My parents have decent broadband but it is probably a third of the speed that I have here - if that - and they have been very satisfied. Our TV is close to our router here, so I set it up with a cable, but I my parents' Roku uses a wireless-N connection.
I bought a Roku last night for $60 and hooked it up. Love it!

I have a 3-whatever connection here and I couldn't get it to work until I brought the modem and router in the same room with the TV and Roku, now it works great and the quality is even better than it was with the Dish because I can use my HDMI cable to get HD tv. Smile
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
In all honesty...
I stream more video than I watch live.

but I have to have directv for all of my sports stuff
^
Heard Direct TV was giving awaythe NFL package for free.
Does that makeup for the other 30 basic cable channels that they lost? Confusednicker:
Funny, but true, story: I called Dish today to cancel my service. I had chatted online with a Dish CSM but they told me I had to do a discontinue/cancellation over the phone. That is why I called today. Online they told me that they would not budge with the price of my current bill, and that the only way to lower the payment was to discontinue service.

The lady that I happened to be speaking to was the manager for the billing department. She normally would not have been taking calls but it was a strange circumstance that she didn't go into the details of. The only reason I knew is because she stated that reason when she apologized for the wait time.

When she asked why I wanted to cancel I was honest and told her that the service was great and that I had chatted online with a rep and he stated that there was nothing they could do. I even repeated to her that I told the man I would be willing to establish a new contract to get my payment lowered because I am that happy with Dish Network.

She told me that she would cut my bill by $10 per month for 12 months....WITH NO CONTRACT. To this day, I still do not have a contract. If I decide I want to cut ties, I can be done.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Heard Direct TV was giving awaythe NFL package for free.
Does that makeup for the other 30 basic cable channels that they lost? Confusednicker:

They're back now lol
NFL Sunday Ticket is free for new customers only
I wished they did that for NBA League Pass...
that junk is expensive but once you get it once you can't turn back lol

I stay busy with Church on Sundays so the NFL one won't do me any good.
^Church is the reason I love DVR. If I have an emergency call, or if I have to stay after church and pray with someone, a hospital visit, etc... I can know that my shows are recording anyway.

Please know that I would willingly miss them if someone needed me, but why miss them if I can have it automatically set to record anyway? DVR is one of those things you cannot go back on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I got the "angry bird" version the other day. It's pretty cool for what it is. Easy to use (my 5 year old figured out how to use it). He loves the Disney stuff and playing Angry Birds
[Image: http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9G...d1Fj5zg48R]