Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern Kentucky Vote Buyers and Sellers
Is anybody else as embarrassed by these idiots selling their votes as I am? I have been watching these morons being interviewed on Fox this morning and things like this almost make me ashamed to admit that I am from eastern Kentucky. I am not ready to adopt a new hometown yet, but the fact that people still openly buy and sell votes in the mountains of eastern Kentucky and the dumbasses seem to be happy to admit in broken English to selling votes for $25 on national TV makes me feel like a stereotypical hillbilly today.

So what was the answer to this problem, according to the POS that admitted on national TV that he sold his vote for $25? He said that "they" should do something to stop people from buying votes. To him, I say, get a job...and make sure that it is in a state far, far away from Kentucky and Virginia. I would gladly trade 20 hard working illegal aliens for one deadbeat vote peddler from Breathitt County who does not understand how lucky he is to have been born in this country.

120 hours of community service is a slap on the wrist for undermining the democratic process. Exiling these jerks to West Virginia would be treating them too well, IMO. At the very least, selling a vote should result in some time behind bars away from their government bought beer and cigarettes. Their children could use the break.

[INDENT]
Quote:[COLOR="Blue"]3 Sentenced In Vote-Buying Conspiracy

LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) - A federal judge has sentenced three eastern Kentucky residents for their roles in a vote-buying conspiracy.

U.S. District Judge Karen Caldwell sentenced 61-year-old Naomi Johnson and 44-year-old Earl Young to four months for conspiring to buy votes and vote buying in the May 2010 primary election in Breathitt County. Also sentenced Thursday was 62-year-old Jackie Jennings, to two months for vote buying and conspiracy. All three are from Jackson.

The U.S. attorney's office says Caldwell also ordered each defendant to serve 120 hours of community service.
[/COLOR]
[/INDENT]
I understand your embarrassment, Hoot. However, one would be naive to believe that, in some manner or the other, votes aren't "bought" and "sold" in every state.

Whether it is the tombstone voting in Chicago or the illegal immigrants voting in Florida, the practice is widespread. Obviously, photo identification would help. I am convinced that the Democrats garner a lot more illegal votes than do the Republicans since Democrats vehemently oppose any and all efforts to cure this problem. Their opposition has little to do with infringing upon the rights of individuals and much to do with cutting into their core constituencies. Conversely, Republicans support mandatory measures less because they want clean elections and more because they know Democrats get a large majority of the illegal vote.
Truth Wrote:I understand your embarrassment, Hoot. However, one would be naive to believe that, in some manner or the other, votes aren't "bought" and "sold" in every state.

Whether it is the tombstone voting in Chicago or the illegal immigrants voting in Florida, the practice is widespread. Obviously, photo identification would help. I am convinced that the Democrats garner a lot more illegal votes than do the Republicans since Democrats vehemently oppose any and all efforts to cure this problem. Their opposition has little to do with infringing upon the rights of individuals and much to do with cutting into their core constituencies. Conversely, Republicans support mandatory measures less because they want clean elections and more because they know Democrats get a large majority of the illegal vote.
I know that votes are bought and sold in every state, Truth. But this story plays into nearly every hillbilly stereotype. (At least this guy seem to have most of his teeth.) The people that the national media interviews in cases like this are always well represented by welfare recipients who use the worst imaginable grammar. In this case, votes were being bought for only $25 and the seller was stupid enough to admit it to a national TV audience. His interview has been running every few minutes on Fox News Channel and I am sure that he is enjoying more than his 15 minutes of infamy on other networks as well.

Just when I began thinking that the guy could look any more ignorant or embarrass his fellow Kentuckians any more, he suggested that the fix for the system was for "them" to do something about the people who buy votes. At no time does the man even hint that he regrets selling his vote for a pittance. He also said something to the effect that "everybody in the area does it."

I am dead serious about preferring a truckload of illegals who appreciate what we have in this country over somebody who is willing to sell his vote for a day's worth of beer and cigarette money. It is unfortunate that the sheriff cannot just drive this man to the state line and ban him from ever returning. This is the kind of people who are destroying this country and they do heavy damage to eastern Kentucky's image every time that they open their mouth in front of a camera.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I know that votes are bought and sold in every state, Truth. But this story plays into nearly every hillbilly stereotype. (At least this guy seem to have most of his teeth.) The people that the national media interviews in cases like this are always well represented by welfare recipients who use the worst imaginable grammar. In this case, votes were being bought for only $25 and the seller was stupid enough to admit it to a national TV audience. His interview has been running every few minutes on Fox News Channel and I am sure that he is enjoying more than his 15 minutes of infamy on other networks as well.

Just when I began thinking that the guy could look any more ignorant or embarrass his fellow Kentuckians any more, he suggested that the fix for the system was for "them" to do something about the people who buy votes. At no time does the man even hint that he regrets selling his vote for a pittance. He also said something to the effect that "everybody in the area does it."

I am dead serious about preferring a truckload of illegals who appreciate what we have in this country over somebody who is willing to sell his vote for a day's worth of beer and cigarette money. It is unfortunate that the sheriff cannot just drive this man to the state line and ban him from ever returning. This is the kind of people who are destroying this country and they do heavy damage to eastern Kentucky's image every time that they open their mouth in front of a camera.

Totally agree with everything you have said here. In my view the problem is a lot wider spread than up eastern Kentucky hollers. Many folks in this country live only for today. Anything past the urges of today is a problem they don't give a 'hoot in a holler' about. Sorry, I know that was corny but I couldn't resist. That's why we cannot continue to add to the ever expanding list of goodies they get through the welfare system. Seriously, what's next, big screen TV's? There ought to be something attached for the long term freeloaders, some of them are 2nd and 3rd generation freeloaders. If they had to report to work in exchange for their free groceries, Hud allowance, medical, free utilities etc, etc. things would begin to change.

Not only will folks like this sell their vote. They will sell their dignity, their self respect, their blood, their body, you name it. This death spiral of ever descending values we find our self locked in, is fueled in large part by the welfare system. We don't really encourage folks to try to break out of the cycle rather, we coddle them and like loving husbandmen. It really has to stop. If members of government could find some integrity, and raise the bar just a bit for these folks, instead of viewing them as an automatic vote for the dems, I believe self respect would begin to return. I would favor the suspension of voting privilege for folks that have been on welfare for an extended period. They're obviously going to vote for whoever promises to continue taking care of them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:Totally agree with everything you have said here. In my view the problem is a lot wider spread than up eastern Kentucky hollers. Many folks in this country live only for today. Anything past the urges of today is a problem they don't give a 'hoot in a holler' about. Sorry, I know that was corny but I couldn't resist. That's why we cannot continue to add to the ever expanding list of goodies they get through the welfare system. Seriously, what's next, big screen TV's? There ought to be something attached for the long term freeloaders, some of them are 2nd and 3rd generation freeloaders. If they had to report to work in exchange for their free groceries, Hud allowance, medical, free utilities etc, etc. things would begin to change.

Not only will folks like this sell their vote. They will sell their dignity, their self respect, their blood, their body, you name it. This death spiral of ever descending values we find our self locked in, is fueled in large part by the welfare system. We don't really encourage folks to try to break out of the cycle rather, we coddle them and like loving husbandmen. It really has to stop. If members of government could find some integrity, and raise the bar just a bit for these folks, instead of viewing them as an automatic vote for the dems, I believe self respect would begin to return. I would favor the suspension of voting privilege for folks that have been on welfare for an extended period. They're obviously going to vote for whoever promises to take care of them.

why would you vote for somebody who want's to privatize medicare?
vector Wrote:why would you vote for somebody who want's to privatize medicare?

For this country to work, folks need to be of sufficient character to realize a government "of the people, by the people, for the people" is based on principles. Principles of faith, integrity, honesty, and self sacrifice. Selling one's vote, or one's virtue, is not part of that equation. My point is, we have a vast segment of our society willing to let me and you pay for their existence. The fact that their vote is for sale is just the tip of the iceberg, a closer look under the surface will reveal a miserable lack of intitiative. Our government encourages them to stay dependent on welfare, rather than contributing one thing to the common good.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
you still didn't answer my ?
vector Wrote:you still didn't answer my ?

When I vote, I try to vote for what I think is best for my country. For example, I cannot vote for any man, or woman, who openly supports abortion rights. They don't do this anymore, but, I'd rather pick up pop bottles on the side of the road, than vote for some bozo who promises me grand days ahead for my union and on the other hand promises to fund abortion clinics. I simply will not have any part of that. If a candidate's platform includes gay rights, I'm out. Again, I believe man ought to obey God rather than men. And, I get in a lot of trouble for it. Pointing men to the Lord doesn't get one that many new friends, but so be it.

To speak to your question directly. I would vote for the privitization of medicare any day, over supporting the Obama policies which are bankrupting the United States. I wouldn't care if he said he was a democrat or one of the Marx brothers. I don't think Obama has the first clue what it means to serve this land and be an American in the traditional sense. I believe he's a product of the liberal mind set of current academia. Further, all those silly failed in the past ideas, floating around in that noggin of notable ear structure of his, were deposited in there by elitest profs with no experience in the real world. I believe it borders treason, to vote party line, without respect of the candidate's views and values. That's why I say supporters would vote for Satan if he said he was a democrat. Far more than ridiculous, I find the notion of blind support tragic and a destroyer of freedom.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
When we speak of the government "providing" healthcare and other services we should keep in mind that the government has no resources other than what it confiscates from the taxpayers. Therefore, in either case, the taxpayers are footing the entire bill.

Anything that is funded by the public is saturated with fraud This fraud is not limited to recipients although this group defrauds with great zeal. It includes providers (doctors, hospitals, etc.). If medicare and medicaid were privatized, there would likely be less opportunity for abuse.

Of course, as a taxpayer, I'm footing the bill either way.
Did Fox News mention Clay County. The most notoriously crooked county in Kentucky when it comes to vote buying and election rigging.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Did Fox News mention Clay County. The most notoriously crooked county in Kentucky when it comes to vote buying and election rigging.

Yes. I don't know that Clay County is the most crooked. Our neighbors in Clay County are, most likely, just not as slick and proficient with the practice as are some others.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Did Fox News mention Clay County. The most notoriously crooked county in Kentucky when it comes to vote buying and election rigging.

Unfortunately, Clay County was the headline of this news story on Fox website. I didn't post anything for fear of totally offending Skinny Pig.
Like Truth, I don't know why CC is being singled out. Perhaps it is because they have been the most recent ones to receive the most negative publicity.
They mentioned both Clay and Breathitt Counties but I think that the two interviews that I saw (a seller and his "customer") repeatedly were of Breathitt County residents but I could be mistaken. They also made a point to say the the investigations had snared both Republicans and Democrats and that much of the money spent on votes came from the sale of illegal drugs.
Clay County was the most widespread in regards to how many people were arrested. It covered both Democrats and Republicans, It included Mayors, County Clerks, Circuit Clerks, Circuit Judges, School Superintendants, police officers and many business people and citizens in Clay County. I think what makes Clay County stick out is the number of people that were busted, their stature in the community, and the variety of crimes that they were involved in. Vote buying, voting machine rigging, arson, shootings, drug dealing for votes, etc etc. No, they are definitely not the only guilty ones, but their problems resembled organized crime similar to the Dixie Mafia.
Granny Bear Wrote:Unfortunately, Clay County was the headline of this news story on Fox website. I didn't post anything for fear of totally offending Skinny Pig.
Like Truth, I don't know why CC is being singled out. Perhaps it is because they have been the most recent ones to receive the most negative publicity.

No offense will be taken. Clay was most definitely one of the crookedest. Here is where the ball got rolling and an example was made. There were some rifts between some of the federal people and one or two of those in Clay County. It included some family/custody battles that could not be swayed years ago. I suspect the whole bunch suffered more than expected because of it.

Anyway, we've earned our reputation.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Clay County was the most widespread in regards to how many people were arrested. It covered both Democrats and Republicans, It included Mayors, County Clerks, Circuit Clerks, Circuit Judges, School Superintendants, police officers and many business people and citizens in Clay County. I think what makes Clay County stick out is the number of people that were busted, their stature in the community, and the variety of crimes that they were involved in. Vote buying, voting machine rigging, arson, shootings, drug dealing for votes, etc etc. No, they are definitely not the only guilty ones, but their problems resembled organized crime similar to the Dixie Mafia.

It resembles Washington in a lot of ways too. :Thumbs:
I read that as many as 50 dollars to 8000 votes totaling somewhere around $400,000.
And it was mostly drug money, if not all paying for it.
^^
I heard nearly the identical story. Also heard a couple of the personal grudge stories, too
Glad you're not offended Skinny Pig; would never want you to think that I would be slinging dirt.....living in pristine Harlan Co!!
Confusednicker:

Maybe someday, we could meet and I'm certain I could match you story for story....unfortunately.