Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Mountain Football Game in last 10 Years
What would you guys say? I don't mean like, if Phelps and East Ridge played a good one, I mean a game that had alot of hype and lived up to it (2008 Belfry/Johnson Central)
the 2005 game between Williamsburg and Corbin
^
That was a good game.
Theres been to many classics to pick just one.
Its unbelievable how many mountain games have been talked about all season and live up to the hype.
the A team Wrote:the 2005 game between Williamsburg and Corbin

I'm not certain but I think you may be referring to the 2004 Williamsburg-Corbin game. If you're not then I apologize but Williamsburg was very average in 2005, while in 2004 they were very good and won a close battle against an also very good Corbin team. Corbin was favored to win that game also. If that is, in fact, the game you're referring to then I agree that game would have to be up there.
^
Im sure thats what he meant.
Wburg went to Corbin in 03 and got smacked then won by a couple at Wburg in 04.
Two very similar teams that year. I remember Stan Lovitt going crazy on the radio that night on my way home from a Whitley game.
Rockcastle and Bell had some classic game back in 2005 and 2007. in the 2005 season game Bell beat Rock on the last plat of the game 33-29. then rock beat Bell in the playoffs. Both game in 2007 were thrillers to with both game going down to the final minutes.
Sheldon Clark vs Breathitt Co. 2009
Last years Pikeville/Hazard playoff game. Wow,what a high scoring affair.Very exciting to listen to on the radio.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
my personal favorite would have to be the 2004 Class AAA Playoffs second round between Rockcastle and Ashland Blazer, despite the loss....it was an awesome experience my sophomore year....this game went into 2OT Ashland having the upper hand 34-27...it paid off for the next season indeed!!!.....other notable favs are ROCK/Lincoln (04) winning on last play of the game giving Coach Larkey his 200th victory, ROCK/Bell I (06) winning 18-14 sending the Bobcats only excitment seeing Renfro Valley on the way back to Log Mountain not once but TWICE, ROCK/Lawrence Co. (03) winning 14-12....love the nailbitters Smile
2004 Belfry vs. Pburg, both games.

Belfry was the defending 2A State Champs who Survived the scare of a lifetime from Pburg in the playoffs in 2003. Pburg entered having already defeated Bell County (this is the Bell team who would come inches away from knocking off State Champ Highlands in the State Semi's, this was Bell's only loss in the regular season) and a pretty good Ashland team.

It was the Final year of Vipperman Stadium and to that point in time was one of the largest crowds I have ever witnessed there and an electric build-up/environment. Pburg had a very formidable defense and essentially contained Belfry's running game for 3 Quarters...they were really the only KY team that year who even slowed them down. Doug Howard took over late and Belfry won in OT in a game played beautifully by both sides.

Pburg took care of a business in a big way against a previously undefeated Breathitt County team in Jackson to set up a re-match with Belfry in the Regional Finals. As big as the crowd was for the first meeting, THIS game was the single largest crowd I had ever seen at Vipperman Stadium as people were literally climbing trees on the hillside to watch the game. Belfry ended up winning by 2 TD's, but the game was much closer as the Pirates held a precarious 7 point lead in the 4th Qtr and the Blackcats were driving. Belfry got a Pick 6 to seal the game and advance.

Belfry went on to defeat a very good Russell team and win the Championship over a pretty solid O'Cath team. I still think Pburg was the 2nd best team in 2A that year and would have been State Champs if not for Belfry.

Another epic game from the past ten years (even though Belfry didn't come out ahead) was the 2008 Belfry vs. Breathitt 3A State Semi-Final game. Belfry had crushed Breathitt 62-28 the year prior in the Semi's and returned a ton of experience. Belfry entered the game 13-0 and considered the best team in EKY. Breathitt executed a beautiful game plan and shut down the Belfry running game for the first half and took the lead. Belfry made a desperate comeback and had the ball inside the red zone and well within field goal range with under a minute left. Belfry's usually sure handed QB Andrew Elkins inexplicably just dropped the football and Breathitt recovered sealing the upset. Huge redemption game for Breathitt.
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:Rockcastle and Bell had some classic game back in 2005 and 2007. in the 2005 season game Bell beat Rock on the last plat of the game 33-29. then rock beat Bell in the playoffs. Both game in 2007 were thrillers to with both game going down to the final minutes.

rocket01 Wrote:my personal favorite would have to be the 2004 Class AAA Playoffs second round between Rockcastle and Ashland Blazer, despite the loss....it was an awesome experience my sophomore year....this game went into 2OT Ashland having the upper hand 34-27...it paid off for the next season indeed!!!.....other notable favs are ROCK/Lincoln (04) winning on last play of the game giving Coach Larkey his 200th victory, ROCK/Bell I (06) winning 18-14 sending the Bobcats only excitment seeing Renfro Valley on the way back to Log Mountain not once but TWICE, ROCK/Lawrence Co. (03) winning 14-12....love the nailbitters Smile

I agree with both. The Rock-Corbin game that ended 2-0 was awesome for so many bad reasons, lol. Also the playoff game with Sheldon Clark in 2000 that ended with a score of 7-6.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EKUAlum05 Wrote:2004 Belfry vs. Pburg, both games.

Belfry was the defending 2A State Champs who Survived the scare of a lifetime from Pburg in the playoffs in 2003. Pburg entered having already defeated Bell County (this is the Bell team who would come inches away from knocking off State Champ Highlands in the State Semi's, this was Bell's only loss in the regular season) and a pretty good Ashland team.

It was the Final year of Vipperman Stadium and to that point in time was one of the largest crowds I have ever witnessed there and an electric build-up/environment. Pburg had a very formidable defense and essentially contained Belfry's running game for 3 Quarters...they were really the only KY team that year who even slowed them down. Doug Howard took over late and Belfry won in OT in a game played beautifully by both sides.

Pburg took care of a business in a big way against a previously undefeated Breathitt County team in Jackson to set up a re-match with Belfry in the Regional Finals. As big as the crowd was for the first meeting, THIS game was the single largest crowd I had ever seen at Vipperman Stadium as people were literally climbing trees on the hillside to watch the game. Belfry ended up winning by 2 TD's, but the game was much closer as the Pirates held a precarious 7 point lead in the 4th Qtr and the Blackcats were driving. Belfry got a Pick 6 to seal the game and advance.

Belfry went on to defeat a very good Russell team and win the Championship over a pretty solid O'Cath team. I still think Pburg was the 2nd best team in 2A that year and would have been State Champs if not for Belfry.

Another epic game from the past ten years (even though Belfry didn't come out ahead) was the 2008 Belfry vs. Breathitt 3A State Semi-Final game. Belfry had crushed Breathitt 62-28 the year prior in the Semi's and returned a ton of experience. Belfry entered the game 13-0 and considered the best team in EKY. Breathitt executed a beautiful game plan and shut down the Belfry running game for the first half and took the lead. Belfry made a desperate comeback and had the ball inside the red zone and well within field goal range with under a minute left. Belfry's usually sure handed QB Andrew Elkins inexplicably just dropped the football and Breathitt recovered sealing the upset. Huge redemption game for Breathitt.

2004 was a great football year for the mountains, game wise.
This wasn't mountain-on-mountain...

but the Hazard - LCA game a couple years ago with Hazard punching in the 2pt conversion to win it was as good of a game as I've ever seen.
the Hazard@Pineville game in 2006 when Hazard won by a FG w// a final score 15-14 during the playoffs....2006 was a great year in the mountains as well.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:2004 Belfry vs. Pburg, both games.

Couldn't have said it better, but in the '04 regular season matchup Prestonsburg didn't exactly shut Belfry down. Howard had nearly 200 yards and 3TDs, but Jones had a subpar game for him. The playoff game was the opposite. Jones broke loose on several occasions and Howard had a mediocre running game but is was him with the pick 6.
BoondockSaint Wrote:Couldn't have said it better, but in the '04 regular season matchup Prestonsburg didn't exactly shut Belfry down. Howard had nearly 200 yards and 3TDs, but Jones had a subpar game for him. The playoff game was the opposite. Jones broke loose on several occasions and Howard had a mediocre running game but is was him with the pick 6.

Those games also produced the #1 and #2 "wow" moments I have ever seen at the HS level.

#1 was the stiff arm by Doug Howard on Blackburn of Pburg. To this day, on any level, I still have not seen a stiff arm like that. If there were 6800 fans there, all 6800 all went "ooooh" at the same time. Blackburn was awarded Player of the Week by WYMT for his performance the week before, but nearly his entire segment was focused on that stiffarm and WYMT showing it over and over again. I felt so bad for the kid, his shining moment was essentially taken over by a play where he was dominated.

#2 was a HB pass that Pburg set up beautifully. The Pburg receiver was literally all by himself in the endzone with no Pirate within 20 yards of him. Once David Jones recognized what was going on he turned on the jets as the ball was released and closed the entire gap just in time to bat the ball away as it came to the receiver. That year in Kentucky that would have been a TD in against literally any other team.
In 04 pirate fans got to see the two best highschool games ever played at the old field back to back. the playoff game against p-burg was the best and the next week the game against russel was just as exciting, not as physical but excitng. those were two great football games
MADJACK75 Wrote:In 04 pirate fans got to see the two best highschool games ever played at the old field back to back. the playoff game against p-burg was the best and the next week the game against russel was just as exciting, not as physical but exciting. those were two great football games
You're right. The Final Score was much more lopsided than the game itself. Josh Gross was simply outstanding and all three HB's put on a show that night. The hit Jones put on Gross at the goal line to stone wall him and force a fumble turned that game around.

Talk about talent, how many combined career rushing yards were on the field that night?

Belfry:
Howard
Jones
G
Matt Maynard
Dustin May

Russell:
Gross
Kasey Clark
Tommy Brown
I think all 3 (Gross, Howard, and Jones) had near or over 200 yards.

And then the next week Belfry put up a state finals record 576!!!!

Man I'm starting to get pumped about football season.TongueirateSho
Last years Whitley Co. vs PCC when Whitley went for two to try and win instead of taking the tie. What balls to put it all on the line away from home. If it hadn't been for Robinson they would have won, but that's the way she goes. One of the best games last year IMO.
Last years region championship between Harlan and Southwestern! One of the best high school games i have ever seen!
The Bell County vs Boyle County Playoff game at Bell County when the Bobcats won 17-15 and to advance to the State Championship game
Breathitt v Russell 2002 playoff game was the best game I attended.
Some games Pikeville has been involved in my personal order:

1. 2004 Pikeville vs. Williamsburg* -Win
2. 2011 Pikeville vs. Fairview* -Win
3. 2006 Pikeville vs. Belfry* -Loss

4. 2003 Pikeville vs. Somerset -Win
5. 2011 Pikeville vs. Hazard -Loss
6. 2011 Pikeville vs. Raceland -Win
7. 2011 Pikeville vs. Harlan -Win
8. 2009 Pikeville vs. Harlan -Loss
9. 2009 Pikeville vs. Corbin -Loss
10. 2007 Pikeville vs. Holy Cross (Lou) -Win

The * Games could be considered for this list. The rest were just good games, but no real hype around them or any great teams. But enjoyable to watch as a Panther fan.

Also, as you can tell 2011 was a freaking stressful year lol.

And 2007-20010 was pretty much blow out win or blow out loss.
HonestJohn Wrote:Last years Whitley Co. vs PCC when Whitley went for two to try and win instead of taking the tie. What balls to put it all on the line away from home. If it hadn't been for Robinson they would have won, but that's the way she goes. One of the best games last year IMO.

I don't think anyone on the planet wouldn't have handed that off to Bryant lol
Hazard beats Perry Central 2008 on a +40 yard hail marry pass caught in the end zone With no time left on the clock. Score 22-20. It was the last game played between two of the biggest rivals in the mountains.
If I remember correctly, the game where David Jones had a sub-par game he had like less than 20 rushing yards but Doug Howard took over? Those two P-Burg games were even thrilling to me at 11 years old, honestly, you couldn't ask for better football games.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Some games Pikeville has been involved in my personal order:

1. 2004 Pikeville vs. Williamsburg* -Win
2. 2011 Pikeville vs. Fairview* -Win
3. 2006 Pikeville vs. Belfry* -Loss

4. 2003 Pikeville vs. Somerset -Win
5. 2011 Pikeville vs. Hazard -Loss
6. 2011 Pikeville vs. Raceland -Win
7. 2011 Pikeville vs. Harlan -Win
8. 2009 Pikeville vs. Harlan -Loss
9. 2009 Pikeville vs. Corbin -Loss
10. 2007 Pikeville vs. Holy Cross (Lou) -Win

The * Games could be considered for this list. The rest were just good games, but no real hype around them or any great teams. But enjoyable to watch as a Panther fan.

Also, as you can tell 2011 was a freaking stressful year lol.

And 2007-20010 was pretty much blow out win or blow out loss.

Imo,the (lou) Holly Cross game would have to be on the fringe. What a game!
2000 sheldon,Clark and Rockcastle,Co at Sheldon,Clark Rock won7-6. Rock scored in the 3rd quarter and Sheldon,clark scored on an interception in the 4th and went for 2 and Rock held. Russell and Breathitt,Co in2002 Russell missed a field goal in OT. Russell was a very good team and should have really won that game at Breathitt. Hazard over Perry in 2007 last play how do you let a guy get open in the back of the end zone on a prevent defense???
ballboy Wrote:2000 sheldon,Clark and Rockcastle,Co at Sheldon,Clark Rock won7-6. Rock scored in the 3rd quarter and Sheldon,clark scored on an interception in the 4th and went for 2 and Rock held. Russell and Breathitt,Co in2002 Russell missed a field goal in OT. Russell was a very good team and should have really won that game at Breathitt. Hazard over Perry in 2007 last play how do you let a guy get open in the back of the end zone on a prevent defense???

Don't know.
Two of the safeties told Coach Browne after the game that they had guys stepping on their toes and cause one of them to fall down.

Coach Browne wasn't satisfied with that excuse lol