Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region All "A" Tournament
Here are the brackets for the tournament. Starts Saturday at Pikeville High School's TW Oliver Gymnasium. Hope everyone comes out and enjoys the day!
Could East Ridge possibly have gotten a tougher draw?!? Definitely look for the bottom half semifinal to essentially be the championship - no disrespect to BL or SF intended, they're both very good teams, but hard to see them taking down AC, ER or even Pikeville at this point. Crazier things have most certainly happened, though!
BBN4EVER Wrote:Could East Ridge possibly have gotten a tougher draw?!? Definitely look for the bottom half semifinal to essentially be the championship - no disrespect to BL or SF intended, they're both very good teams, but hard to see them taking down AC, ER or even Pikeville at this point. Crazier things have most certainly happened, though!
I have to agree, Pikeville, AC and ER half of the bracket will probably be the winner. BUT I have to point out, Betsy Layne DID beat Johnson Central 3-1 last night, according to KHSAA. First 3 sets very close, 4th set was a blow out. I wasn't there, so I don't know if it was just a bad night by JC or what.
East Ridge didn't look like themselves, but I am not taking away any thing from Paintsville as they were playing to win. First time I have seen Paintsville play this year and I am very impressed with the coaching staff. So far all the other games are as i thought they would go.
Iredata90 Wrote:East Ridge didn't look like themselves, but I am not taking away any thing from Paintsville as they were playing to win. First time I have seen Paintsville play this year and I am very impressed with the coaching staff. So far all the other games are as i thought they would go.
I was told East Ridge was missing a player. I could not verify that, just what a fan of theirs told me... Pikeville defeats Lawrence County 2-0 to advance and play Piarist on Tuesday night.
Huge disappointment for the Warriors losing in the first round today. Paintsville, in my opinion, is not all that impressive... East Ridge just looked very out of sync. From what I could tell, they had all of their key players. I'm confident they will right the ship.

The scores from today, as KHSAA has them:

South Floyd def. Prestonsburg (25-13, 25-18)
Sheldon Clark def. Phelps (25-20, 25-15)
Paintsville def. East Ridge (26-24, 25-21)
Allen Central def. Magoffin County (25-11, 25-10)
Pikeville def. Lawrence County (25-4, 25-8)

I expect it to be South Floyd vs. Betsy Layne, and Allen Central vs. Pikeville in the semis. Could get very interesting!
Thank you for clarifying. I had been told by someone there they were missing a player, but I saw everyone that I am aware of on their team (the main players), plus their new player. You are right, they did look a lot out of sync. Nevertheless, thats why they play the games. Big shock.
BBN4EVER Wrote:Could East Ridge possibly have gotten a tougher draw?!? Definitely look for the bottom half semifinal to essentially be the championship - no disrespect to BL or SF intended, they're both very good teams, but hard to see them taking down AC, ER or even Pikeville at this point. Crazier things have most certainly happened, though!

Looks like someone forgot about paintsville! Way to go Lady Tigers!

Let's not also forget that Paintsville did make the Championship game last season. :Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:Looks like someone forgot about paintsville! Way to go Lady Tigers!

Let's not also forget that Paintsville did make the Championship game last season. :Thumbs:
I don't think anyone "forgot" about Paintsville, per se, just had no clue what they had. Hadn't seen them play, etc. I think they only had 3 games played before the East Ridge game, maybe? But it was good to see them do well. The whole region benefits the more teams are quality teams. Records might sometimes take a lumping, but come tourney time, it has made everyone better through the season. One of the more competitive All A's in the past couple of years top to bottom, I think.
I think it will come down to Betsy Layne and Allen Central!!
bobcatfan8 Wrote:I think it will come down to Betsy Layne and Allen Central!!
Well, still a lot of volleyball left to be played. Tonight is Allen Central and Paintsville at 6:30 followed by Pikeville and Piarist at 7:30 (approximately), and Betsy Layne has to get past South Floyd. Don't count out Pikeville either, anything can happen. They've been playing awfully well lately. No one ever thought East Ridge would lose to Paintsville, realistically. It will be a fun time the next couple of nights watching everything shake out. A bunch of region winners have already been decided in other regions, so the All A state is starting to take shape.

That I know of already, Hazard and Caldwell County have won their respective regions, not sure of all the others just yet but remember seeing some of the scores on KHSAA.
Semi finals are gonna be exciting! Betsy Layne Vs South Floyd then Pikeville Vs Allen Central!
Pikeville and Allen Central should be a dandy!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:Pikeville and Allen Central should be a dandy!
I agree, it should be an exciting game. It has been fun watching Pikeville evolve to where they are now, I will say. Luckily, they put Piarist away early enough last night to where they didn't have to expend much energy and not show too much for tonight. I've enjoyed most of this All A tourney, been a real treat to watch!
Betsy Layne and Allen Central battle tonight for the 15th Region All A Chanpionship Game! South Floyd Played close against Betsy Layne in both sets. Pikeville almost came out with a win in the first set against Allen Central but Let the rebels have to many points early on in the 2nd.
Very excited about tonight's game should be a good one!! What are your alls thoughts on tonights game!! I think BL could pull off a win but they will have to play great tonight with very little errors!!! Good luck ladycats!!!
Hey Coach where are you I have been waiting all day to get your take on the Allen Central ballgame!
Good Luck tonight Betsy Layne, but Allen Central seems to play around one game and then wow they are just so explosive. But your coaches know them better than anyone so tonight might just be your night!
The Pikeville-Allen Central game started off with a bang. Pikeville had them down and against the ropes in the first set, only to lose 25-23. I think it affected Pikeville girls when they realized that they let that one get away, and instead of putting pressure on Allen Central for the 2nd set, the pressure was on them. After the big run to start the second set by Allen Central, Pikeville just never recovered. Still proud of the girls for the way they played in the first set, it is part of being a young team to learn from experiences like that. It seems like they've already put it behind them, and I know they will use it as a learning experience to get better as the season goes along. They still have a great record of 12-2 on the season, and are heading to Lexington today for the Lafayette Invitational.

Congrats to Allen Central, the depth and experience of their program over the years showed up at a crucial time against Pikeville. I know the Pikeville coaches have a goal to someday get the program to the same level as that one, and it all starts with learning from stuff like this game, putting it behind you and going out to get the next one. Season is far from over.