Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purdue 48 Eastern Kentucky 6
Host Purdue raced out to a 20-0 lead and never looked back as the Boilermakers cruised to a 48-6 victory over the Eastern Kentucky University football team Saturday afternoon at Ross-Ade Stadium.

Purdue quarterback Robert Marve led the home squad by going 30-of-38 passing for 295 yards and three scores. The Boilermakers racked up 547 yards of offense against the Colonels, but EKU did manage to force five turnovers.

Purdue pounced quickly with back-to-back touchdowns in a span of 52 seconds midway through the first quarter. The Boilermakers took their second drive 87 yards in six plays for a 6-0 lead. An Akeem Shavers 34-yard run around the right end keyed the drive. Wide receiver Gary Bush then hauled in a four-yard touchdown catch for the first points of the season.

Two plays into Eastern’s ensuing drive, Purdue safety Landon Feichter intercepted Jared McClain’s tipped pass and returned the ball 34 yards for another score.

Early in the second quarter, Purdue extended its cushion to 20-0 behind a seven-yard touchdown run from Kurt Freytag.

Eastern Kentucky finally responded with three straight big plays to get on the board. Senior Tyrone Goard’s 16-yard catch on third down kept the drive alive. McClain then hit senior wide receiver Cameron Bailey for 24 yards to the Purdue 30-yard line. Senior running back Matt Denham finished the drive with a 30-yard touchdown run straight up the middle of the field.

The Colonels had a chance to creep even closer following senior Brooklyn Fox’s second interception. Fox picked off a Purdue pass at the EKU 30-yard line and returned it 46 yards deep into Purdue territory. However, Eastern had to settle for a 38-yard field goal attempt, which was blocked.

From that point, the Boilermaker offense turned up the heat again, scoring touchdowns on their final two possessions of the half to take a 34-6 lead into intermission. Purdue totaled 325 yards of offense in the first half and scored in all four trips into the red zone.

Eastern Kentucky started three possessions inside Purdue territory in the second half, but could not come away with any more points. The Colonels punted on one possession and had turnovers on the other two drives.

This was the first ever meeting between the two teams and just EKU’s second ever game against a Big Ten opponent. Purdue head coach Danny Hope, a former Eastern Kentucky player and head coach, guided the Colonels to the 2007 OVC title before taking the job at Purdue.

Eastern Kentucky will next host Morehead State in the Colonels’ home opener on Saturday, Sept. 8. The game is slated to start at 6 p.m.

NOTES:
--Senior safety Brooklyn Fox tallied two first half interceptions, raising his career total to five. The Colonels produced five total turnovers, but did not score any points off of those turnovers. Last year, the EKU defense forced at least three turnovers in seven games.

--Sophomore quarterback Jared McClain made his second career start. He also started the 2011 season opener at Kansas State.

--This was the seventh straight year that EKU has opened its football schedule on the road and 13th consecutive season the Colonels have squared off against an NCAA FBS program. Eastern’s last win against an FBS school happened in 1985.
wow.
Wasnt expecting a complete blowout.
I wonder what kind of payday EKU got?
Looks like it was a bad Saturday for Westside.
From what I hear EKU will be OK this year. Hopefully, this will make them better for a playoff run.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Spud6 Wrote:I wonder what kind of payday EKU got?

I heard $400,000.
^
wow.
Westside Wrote:I heard $400,000.

Holy crap!!
EKU may not lose another game this season. Seriously.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:EKU may not lose another game this season. Seriously.
I hope you are right.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:EKU may not lose another game this season. Seriously.

Jacksonville St looked good Saturday against Arkansas. The Murray St Mules brought in 12 FBS transfers. Tenn Tech will be tough too. It's going to be tough.