Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade School Kids???
Why are high schools playing young kids with 18 and 19 year old men?
I don't know about other parts of the state, but in Clay County I think it is because of basketball and football. Everyone has to admit these 2 sports get the best atheletes.
I dont see anything wrong with it...Some grade school kids are actually better at baseball than some high school kids because they are good at the fundamentals of the game, and can make good contact at the plate...I started playing high school baseball in 7th grade, and I know many others who have done the same and been able to compete...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think it is mainly because of the participation at some school. Usually, like at any other school, a coach wants a jv team, and well some schools just dont get the kids to play on varsity and jv, so they invite anyone through grades 7-8 to come join the team.
The high school where my child plays has a kid that has been on there since he was in the 7th grade.. he is now a freshman and basically is one of the best pitchers in the area... IMO!!
I just can't see how a kid in the 7th grade can compete with a senior in high school. How could the have the arm strength or mental discipline to play at this level, not to mention PITCH?
Knott Central has a 7th grader that no hit a very solid Perry Co. Central.
I guess there might be a few kids out there, but I'm not sure about the whole no hit by the 7th grader.
I was at that game and it actually DID happen.
A team of 7th Graders will typically not compete with a team loaded with upperclassmen simply because of strength and other factors; however, that is not the case. Typically -- especially with teams in eastern KY -- teams have about 15 high school players out for a team (in some cases a few more, in some a few less). Middle school kids are asked to participate on these teams to fill up a roster, plus gain valuable playing experience as a youngster. Most of the time these 7th-8th graders won't play a lot but the time they get is so valuable for them entering their high school years. They have spent two years getting through the overwhelming stage of playing as a freshman, and by their freshman year, many of these who have played, start for ball clubs and have developed some mental discipline with some playing experience and have a big impact on their ball clubs.
I don't see how setting on the bench at a high school game can help as much as playing in a middle school game. AND if a kid can throw a no hitter in the 7th grade why don't we see him pitching in the little league world series?
Take a look at the Shepherd kid for LC Only a 7th grader one of the upcoming best As for the 18&19 age per KHSAA rules as a kid can play as long as he is not 19 by August 1 of his senior year. You see a lot of holdbacks because of this LC is a prime example
there 4 or 5 seventh graders on the high school team when i was in 7th grade for SC. It will help them in the long run. It gives them an extra 2 years of experience of high school ball. I believe Brandon May and Braxton Lafferty played in 7th grade and now they are two of the top players in the region.
Poor Richard Wrote:I guess there might be a few kids out there, but I'm not sure about the whole no hit by the 7th grader.
I saw a 7th grader strike out thirteen the other night in a five inning game. His team was competing against a Jv team with freshmen and sophmores.
Who are some of these 7th graders everyone keeps talking about. How old are they? I just can't see why, if they're in the 7th and 8th grade, why they don't play 13 & 14 year old Babe Ruth.
Just a thought. Who are the top young kids coming up? I want to go watch some of them play.
Poor Richard Wrote:Who are some of these 7th graders everyone keeps talking about. How old are they? I just can't see why, if they're in the 7th and 8th grade, why they don't play 13 & 14 year old Babe Ruth.
Cody Parker from Johnson county middle school is the 7th grader I was refering to. he is 14 and throws mid 70's. Jeremy Stacey is also a good one from JCMS, he is an eighth grader. Austin Lyons is a hard throwing eighth grader who knows how to pitch from paintsville. I think he won a varsity game. I don't think Austin is in the babe ruth league, but the other two are (along with other good middle school pitchers). I don't think you will see much of them on the mound in a Babe Ruth or Jr. League game until school ball is over.
What about Dillion Hughes, Tanner Tackett, they both are 8th graders and pitch on the JV team for Shelby Valley
I know a few 8th graders that are great releivers and will probly soon be starting
phs1986 Wrote:The high school where my child plays has a kid that has been on there since he was in the 7th grade.. he is now a freshman and basically is one of the best pitchers in the area... IMO!!
I think I know who you are speaking and I agree, he is a dandy!
Patrick Smith started playin for valley when he was in 7th grade and look at him now, pretty good he is..
Someone said there was a 7th grader pitched aginst Elliot Co. this weekend. Anyone know anything?
It wasn't Elliot Co. I think it was Estill Co.
ballfan87 Wrote:Take a look at the Shepherd kid for LC Only a 7th grader one of the upcoming best As for the 18&19 age per KHSAA rules as a kid can play as long as he is not 19 by August 1 of his senior year. You see a lot of holdbacks because of this LC is a prime example

Hey ballfan87-just FYI-Shepherd is a true 7th grader-never has been held back/his parents wouldn't let him hold back for sports even though he could have
Evan Potter is the 7th grader for KCC that pitched a no hitter for them against PCC. This kid is not only an excellent baseball player but a heck of a basketball player as well.
Logan Crowder (8th grade) started his first career game on the mound for Ac the other day against KCC and picked up the win.
Crowder pitched very well. He only allowed 2 hits I think through 4 innings before running into trouble in the 5th.
well in some high school's they dont get enough high school students to play so that probably go to middle schools and find some students interested in playin
Poor Richard Wrote:I don't see how setting on the bench at a high school game can help as much as playing in a middle school game. AND if a kid can throw a no hitter in the 7th grade why don't we see him pitching in the little league world series?

First of all my son has played highschool baseball since he was in the 6th grade. He is now a Freshman and has played on the varsity team since he a 7th grader.
He started out playing JV and quickly was moved to Varsity because of the love of the game and his mental discipline. As far as not being able to compete with stronger "men" on the team...that is a joke.....just because you are a bigger player doesnt mean you are a better player......my son outran half the players on most teams and very rarely ever struck out....granted he hasnt had a babe ruth homerun record, he has ripped it to the fence more than his share...(.Im not showboating anything or anyone because God knows he may never play past high school level because his true passion is to be a biochemist one day and help find a cure for cancer....who says "jocks" are all dumb?? ) My son began playing HS when he turned 12 and was too old for the Hindman Little League teams .....
As far as the 7th grader pitching a no hitter ...it happened.....Potter from KCC...he is a great player.....and no Im not a KCC fan but that it one talented young man!!!
Size and strength aren't always an ally. Sure the bigger guys are always going to outswing you (or they should 99% of the time) but there are other ways of beating an opponent. Just watch a good pitching game, what his eyes, his foot placement on the rubber, you can see the wheels turning in his mind how he's going to beat that batter, and right at that moment age doesn't play into it at all.
I do think if that middle schooler has the opportunity to play LL ball in his age group that he should. The education you get there is fantastic.