Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will Obama's next career be?
ronald reagan Wrote:I don't claim to be a republican, I am a republican. I disagree with about 90-95% of Obama's ideas and values. Being a military guy myself, I know that his decision on DADT was a good thing. All the guys I serve with supported it.

Otherwise, you don't see me defending Obama. I'm not rallying around obamacare, his tax plan, his regulations, his hatred of the rich, his assault on the Catholic church, his failed foreign policy, his deficit spending, his liberal justices, his cabinet members, etc.

Its a single issue that I happen to believe in. Do you support Mitt Romney on everything? or did you support Ronald Reagan on everything?

And the post about Reagan being more liberal than most would realize, you are dead on.

Reagan was a hardcore New Dealer. FDR was his political ideal. He was president of a union, and let it to a strike. He raised taxes every year from 82-87, on business, individuals, gas, and social security (including the largest increase ever at that point.). He supported and expanded the EITC. He was a huge deficit spender. Raising the debt from less than a trillion to almost 3 trillion. He supported the UN. Went back and forth on ERA. As governor of California he supported and signed the most liberal abortion law in the country. He grew the size of government by 61,000. (Clinton's term saw a drop in 300,000).

But through all of that. He's still my hero.

His steadfast leadership saw the fall of the USSR. And the rebuilding of a great Superpower --- economically and through military might. When he took office, we had been faced with stagflation. Interest rates, inflation, and unemployment hovering at or near double digits. Yet by the end of his first term, all three were under control. Obama has shown us his inability to do the same.

Romney can and will do better.

You know, I think you guys have gotten your cart up in front of your horse about the DADT deal. All you're really saying is that you chose not to deal with your gay buddies any differently than your straight buddies. You were able to look past the gay soldier's fault and see the good in him. You were on the same team, risking your life for the sake of your country. It's pretty natural to believe one would have respect for the one who fights with honor beside you, gay or not.

Not judging his soul and not feeling like you're better than him describes most of the folks I have known during my lifetime. All the bru-ha-ha over the so-called gay rights issue was never a fight or a concept to be fought by man, or judged by man. Folks who find themselves at odds with God's law have an issue with God, not other men who agree with God. It can never be solved, even if every court in the US signs on. Man cannot circumvent God's Word and expect the results to be good. Is that such a difficult concept? You can accept that God spoke the universe into existence, formed man out of the clay and breathed the breath of life into his nostrils but you doubt He had the wherewithal spiritually, or the power to get his Holy Word written correctly?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ronald reagan Wrote:I don't claim to be a republican, I am a republican. I disagree with about 90-95% of Obama's ideas and values. Being a military guy myself, I know that his decision on DADT was a good thing. All the guys I serve with supported it.

Otherwise, you don't see me defending Obama. I'm not rallying around obamacare, his tax plan, his regulations, his hatred of the rich, his assault on the Catholic church, his failed foreign policy, his deficit spending, his liberal justices, his cabinet members, etc.

Its a single issue that I happen to believe in. Do you support Mitt Romney on everything? or did you support Ronald Reagan on everything?

And the post about Reagan being more liberal than most would realize, you are dead on.

Reagan was a hardcore New Dealer. FDR was his political ideal. He was president of a union, and let it to a strike. He raised taxes every year from 82-87, on business, individuals, gas, and social security (including the largest increase ever at that point.). He supported and expanded the EITC. He was a huge deficit spender. Raising the debt from less than a trillion to almost 3 trillion. He supported the UN. Went back and forth on ERA. As governor of California he supported and signed the most liberal abortion law in the country. He grew the size of government by 61,000. (Clinton's term saw a drop in 300,000).

But through all of that. He's still my hero.

His steadfast leadership saw the fall of the USSR. And the rebuilding of a great Superpower --- economically and through military might. When he took office, we had been faced with stagflation. Interest rates, inflation, and unemployment hovering at or near double digits. Yet by the end of his first term, all three were under control. Obama has shown us his inability to do the same.

Romney can and will do better.

I agree 100%. I have a few gay friends that are still in and it was absolutely the right decision. The military may be jacked up in a lot of ways, but they did get this one right.
TheRealThing Wrote:No he wasn't junior. Reagan was very conservative. Reagan knew that government intervention into the market place was never good for business saying---"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." Proof of his genius lies in the remarkable turn-around from days of recession, rampant inflation and 14% interest rates, and, the long gas lines of the late 1970's, to a vibrant "happy days are here again" economy, all of which were thanks to his fearless leadership. As a matter of fact, his first act as president was to issue an executive order ending certain price controls on domestic oil, which had contributed to the 1973 Oil Crisis and the 1979 Energy Crisis. As a result, America didn't want for oil or cheap gasoline until the world food and oil crisis of 2008. Reagan left our land so financially well healed in fact, Clinton, riding in on Reagan's fiscal coat tails, was able to reap the benefits of a booming economy, laying claim to a federal surplus in the general fund. [Wiki]

For the so-called gay community, the problem has never been one of governmental predjudice. They have always been treated fairly. No, the problem is and has always been, the moral stigma of the homosexual life style. God says it's wrong and society takes their cues from God with respect to right and wrong. That was never acceptable to homosexuals and they therefore took the lead of the ACLU by taking their case to the courts, suing for the legitimacy that God and man had withheld from them. In other words, it was an end run. Since God has declared homosexuality a sin, the gay community sidestepped the Lord and got activist judges to circumvent God's moral law, declaring the practice of homosexual pursuits to be human rights, and well, we're all about human rights in this land, right?
What God has declared as wrong, man has now decreed by law to be right, that along with the hellish assault on the unborn we call pro-choice in this country.

We sort of just rename stuff these days. Practicing sexual perversion in the form of homosexuality, is now gay rights. And the murder of 4,110 babies a day is now called pro-choice. When one neatens it all up like that it just sounds so much better.

I guess you missed all the liberal things he did that I showed you. His "therapuetic abortion act". His year after year tax increases. Including the largest one of all time. His bailout of social security. His expansion of medicare. His support for wealth redistribution in the form of Earned Income Tax Credits. His support of the UN. His pick of moderate O'connor. His massive deficit spending. His increase in the size of government. His withdrawal of our marines in the face of terror.

Very conservative huh? You, my friend do not know Reagan. Sure, I can rattle off many conservative things he did *more so than the liberal. But, I don't turn my head to the liberal ideas he had.

Junior... haha:hilarious:
WideRight05 Wrote:After November 6 we will be electing a new president to the white house. I got to thinking, what will Obama do after he is voted out? He has four years of experience as the POTUS on his resume, but that can be a good thing and a bad thing. When people see that you suck at what you do, people are hesitant to hire you. It is important to put on a good impression when networking, and the Kardashian has not done that while in office. Will the worst president in the history of the United States have trouble landing a job outside of the ranks of academia? What career decision will he make after he is voted out?

Reagan said something like, "Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."

But my suggestion is that Obama stay away from any jobs that call for debating, conversation, no teleprompter, telling the truth, or physical labor. My guess is, he'll join the 47%.
ronald reagan Wrote:Reagan said something like, "Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."

But my suggestion is that Obama stay away from any jobs that call for debating, conversation, no teleprompter, telling the truth, or physical labor. My guess is, he'll join the 47%.

When you think about it, that's where he's always been. He's never had a job his whole life. He's always drawn a government check.
Bob Seger Wrote:When you think about it, that's where he's always been. He's never had a job his whole life. He's always drawn a government check.

One difference in Romney and Obama is that Romney signs on the front of his checks and Obama the back of his,Lol. The same goes for their supporter's.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ronald reagan Wrote:I guess you missed all the liberal things he did that I showed you. His "therapuetic abortion act". His year after year tax increases. Including the largest one of all time. His bailout of social security. His expansion of medicare. His support for wealth redistribution in the form of Earned Income Tax Credits. His support of the UN. His pick of moderate O'connor. His massive deficit spending. His increase in the size of government. His withdrawal of our marines in the face of terror.

Very conservative huh? You, my friend do not know Reagan. Sure, I can rattle off many conservative things he did *more so than the liberal. But, I don't turn my head to the liberal ideas he had.

Junior... haha:hilarious:

My response to 03 was not intended to taken as a Reagan mini-biography, rather his days as president. See, the difference is I was there I voted for Reagan, I don't have to go on line and look stuff up. And, I don't need any help finding my opinion from somebody that thinks God supports gay marriage and, who wasn't even alive, or at best still soiling his little diapers, when the man was president. You're like all the rest of the young-uns running around repeating what they hear. Reagan's views evolved over time to make him the man he was during his days as president. His genius was his ability to take advice from the very talented people he surrounded himself with. Serious writtings of his presidency all agree that Reagan was one of the most conservative presidents in history. If you truly believe otherwise you need to look into the matter further. Calling the income tax scale, redistribution of wealth is baloney, and I can see you're easily influenced by whatever particular slant the author of the article you happened to land on was selling.

I was there when he came in and saved our economy from the ravenges of interest rates and inflation rates north of 18%. I saw him rebuild our military and face down the soviets. I watched the O'Connor confirmation hearings and I know for a fact Reagan thought, as did everybody else, she would judge more conservatively than she actually did. Reagan added about 1 and a half trillion to our national debt in his 8 years at the helm, largely due to social security going into insolvency and medicare expansion. I guess you must have missed the fact that presidents in this land wind up governing from the middle? Clinton certainly moderated to the right in order to win his reelection bid. Presidents and governors often compromise to some extent with their legislatures to serve the common good, hence, liberal programs like medicare get funded.

It's no secret that Reagan left the democrat party and became a republican. He was union and he had a lot of California's liberal influence in his life. But, liberal in those days compared to liberal in this day is hardly comparable. Reagan didn't push any liberal agenda when he was president. He did govern from the middle right, and it is no wonder why he had to that with a staunch liberal like Tip O'Neill being speaker of the House for nearly all of the Reagan presidency. I mean, lots of people continue to find enlightenment thoughout their life time. As they grow older, they grow wiser, Reagan was proud of the way life experiences made him grow in understanding and knowledge. He was in fact one of the most consevative presidents we have ever seen, and the most conservative president of my lifetime.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:My response to 03 was not intended to taken as a Reagan mini-biography, rather his days as president. See, the difference is I was there I voted for Reagan, I don't have to go on line and look stuff up. And, I don't need any help finding my opinion from somebody that thinks God supports gay marriage and, who wasn't even alive, or at best still soiling his little diapers, when the man was president. You're like all the rest of the young-uns running around repeating what they hear. Reagan's views evolved over time to make him the man he was during his days as president. His genius was his ability to take advice from the very talented people he surrounded himself with. Serious writtings of his presidency all agree that Reagan was one of the most conservative presidents in history. If you truly believe otherwise you need to look into the matter further. Calling the income tax scale, redistribution of wealth is baloney, and I can see you're easily influenced by whatever particular slant the author of the article you happened to land on was selling.

I was there when he came in and saved our economy from the ravenges of interest rates and inflation rates north of 18%. I saw him rebuild our military and face down the soviets. I watched the O'Connor confirmation hearings and I know for a fact Reagan thought, as did everybody else, she would judge more conservatively than she actually did. Reagan added about 1 and a half trillion to our national debt in his 8 years at the helm, largely due to social security going into insolvency and medicare expansion. I guess you must have missed the fact that presidents in this land wind up governing from the middle? Clinton certainly moderated to the right in order to win his reelection bid. Presidents and governors often compromise to some extent with their legislatures to serve the common good, hence, liberal programs like medicare get funded.

It's no secret that Reagan left the democrat party and became a republican. He was union and he had a lot of California's liberal influence in his life. But, liberal in those days compared to liberal in this day is hardly comparable. Reagan didn't push any liberal agenda when he was president. He did govern from the middle right, and it is no wonder why he had to that with a staunch liberal like Tip O'Neill being speaker of the House for nearly all of the Reagan presidency. I mean, lots of people continue to find enlightenment thoughout their life time. As they grow older, they grow wiser, Reagan was proud of the way life experiences made him grow in understanding and knowledge. He was in fact one of the most consevative presidents we have ever seen, and the most conservative president of my lifetime.
I seem to recall interest rates hitting as high as 22%, because that was the exact same time I was trying to negotiate a home loan. At that time a special bond program became available and I was able to build a house on a loan @ 8-7/8 %. That rate would terrify people now, but that is in reality the economic mess that our now second worst president in history handed the real Ronald Reagan The difference is that he just didn't whine around and blame Carter. He fixed it.

Excellent post TRT. Like you, I was there too. I dont have to google any of it up either. We've got another resident googler on here that gets 100% of his information and whose thought process only comes from the slant of another author as well. Spot on brother. Spot on.
We could always use a good anchor at WYMT.

We have a really good teleprompter.
TheRealThing Wrote:My response to 03 was not intended to taken as a Reagan mini-biography, rather his days as president. See, the difference is I was there I voted for Reagan, I don't have to go on line and look stuff up. And, I don't need any help finding my opinion from somebody that thinks God supports gay marriage and, who wasn't even alive, or at best still soiling his little diapers, when the man was president. You're like all the rest of the young-uns running around repeating what they hear. Reagan's views evolved over time to make him the man he was during his days as president. His genius was his ability to take advice from the very talented people he surrounded himself with. Serious writtings of his presidency all agree that Reagan was one of the most conservative presidents in history. If you truly believe otherwise you need to look into the matter further. Calling the income tax scale, redistribution of wealth is baloney, and I can see you're easily influenced by whatever particular slant the author of the article you happened to land on was selling.

Well, as Reagan said... "Facts are stubborn things."

If you consider massive deficit spending, medicare expansion, UN support, year after year of tax increases, a social security bailout and fix that taxed the rich, expanding the department of education, the size of overall government, support for the ERA, paying for another holiday off for government officials (MLK day).... conservative ideas, then we'll just disagree on the definition of what makes a conservative. These are the things he did while president. You may have been 'there', but you certainly weren't paying attention.

And if you think I have to google Reagan's record to make my point, you are a bigger fool than you sound. However, someone had to 'wiki' it, to make their point....

Reagan was the most conservative president since Silent Cal, this is a fact. But seriously, who else can you compare it to? FDR? Truman? Eisenhower? JFK? LBJ? Nixon? Ford? Carter? Bush? Clinton? Bush? hahaha. All were centrist to liberals.

I love to watch you drink koolaid. But seriously, you should lay off for a while and do your homework. You have no clue what you're talking about if you think Reagan was some hard right winger.
ronald reagan Wrote:Well, as Reagan said... "Facts are stubborn things."

If you consider massive deficit spending, medicare expansion, UN support, year after year of tax increases, a social security bailout and fix that taxed the rich, expanding the department of education, the size of overall government, support for the ERA, paying for another holiday off for government officials (MLK day).... conservative ideas, then we'll just disagree on the definition of what makes a conservative. These are the things he did while president. You may have been 'there', but you certainly weren't paying attention.

And if you think I have to google Reagan's record to make my point, you are a bigger fool than you sound. However, someone had to 'wiki' it, to make their point....

Reagan was the most conservative president since Silent Cal, this is a fact. But seriously, who else can you compare it to? FDR? Truman? Eisenhower? JFK? LBJ? Nixon? Ford? Carter? Bush? Clinton? Bush? hahaha. All were centrist to liberals.

I love to watch you drink koolaid. But seriously, you should lay off for a while and do your homework. You have no clue what you're talking about if you think Reagan was some hard right winger.

Unlike you, I'm not suffering from an identity crisis so when I borrow something from another's work I cite that source. Oh, you Google alright. And, since you brought up koolaid, absolutely everything coming out of your spout was put there by somebody else. Hard right winger? Where did that come from?

Are you offended because you can't speak to the question I asked you with regard to the first chapter of Romans and God's clearly revealed stance on the sin of homosexuality? I posted that for your consideration. It seems that once you're feathers get a little ruffled, the kid gloves come off. For example, consider your posted assessment of my intellectual ability against the following; Matthew 5:22 (KJV)
22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Don't try to give me my opinion, I earned it. :biggrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:Unlike you, I'm not suffering from an identity crisis so when I borrow something from another's work I cite that source. Oh, you Google alright. And, since you brought up koolaid, absolutely everything coming out of your spout was put there by somebody else. Hard right winger? Where did that come from?

Are you offended because you can't speak to the question I asked you with regard to the first chapter of Romans and God's clearly revealed stance on the sin of homosexuality? I posted that for your consideration. It seems that once you're feathers get a little ruffled, the kid gloves come off. For example, consider your posted assessment of my intellectual ability against the following; Matthew 5:22 (KJV)
22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

I can't seem to find Romans in American law.
TheRealThing Wrote:Unlike you, I'm not suffering from an identity crisis so when I borrow something from another's work I cite that source. Oh, you Google alright. And, since you brought up koolaid, absolutely everything coming out of your spout was put there by somebody else. Hard right winger? Where did that come from?

I know God's view on homosexuality. Its evil, sinful, immoral. I concur. I've made that clear. Heterosexual marriage outside of the church is as well. You know my view clearly on government marriage versus christian marriage. They are two totally different things. You can think what you want, you can quote more verses if you'd like, and you can sleep better tonight if thats what it does for you. I will not get into a theological debate with you, because frankly, I doubt that you are Catholic.... and if I stated my true beliefs on non-Catholics, it would surely offend you. Thats not my goal. And after speaking with my spiritual advisor and priest, I feel pretty comfortable in my view on government.

And trust me, I've been in danger of hell fire many times. :devilflam

But back to the issue at hand. And that you still apparently deny, Reagan wasn't "very conservative". He was a moderate who believed in one key idea that differentiates him from many that came before and after --- Federalism.

I have a Reagan library... bios, autobio, policy statements (abortion), policy studies, personal letters, radio addresses, private diary, love letters to nancy, and a personal favorite... "how ronald reagan changed my life". It seems to me from my 20 years of Reagan study, that the facts are clear. He was the best president in modern era, a brilliant orator, a man who believed in conservative principles (yet struggled to implement them).... and most of all, a deeply spiritual man with a love for this country that rivals that of anyone who came before him.

Are you denying that Reagan raised taxes time after time? Expanded medicare? Bailed out social security? Added twice as much to the debt as every president combined before him? Grew the size of government? Or are you trying to say that these are conservative principles?

You were 'there' huh? Well, before you were, I AM. :worthy:

I can't keep defending a view on government that you don't accept. Its absolutely pointless. You're right, I'm wrong. Thats you're view. Thats ok with me.

I love religious freedom. Especially your right to believe as you do. I encourage you to do more though than write about it on BGR. Hopefully you're involved at levels that can influence those in power to follow your idea.

Reagan loved freedom. I'm sure we both can agree on that.
TheRealVille Wrote:I can't seem to find Romans in American law.

Lets keep it that way. Confusedinglepar
TheRealVille Wrote:I can't seem to find Romans in American law.

You won't find any Muslims or Marxists there either.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:You won't find any Muslims or Marxists there either.

I found a Marxist in American Law...

[Image: http://commieblaster.com/images/obama/ob...e-face.jpg]
ronald reagan Wrote:I know God's view on homosexuality. Its evil, sinful, immoral. I concur. I've made that clear. Heterosexual marriage outside of the church is as well. You know my view clearly on government marriage versus christian marriage. They are two totally different things. You can think what you want, you can quote more verses if you'd like, and you can sleep better tonight if thats what it does for you. I will not get into a theological debate with you, because frankly, I doubt that you are Catholic.... and if I stated my true beliefs on non-Catholics, it would surely offend you. Thats not my goal. And after speaking with my spiritual advisor and priest, I feel pretty comfortable in my view on government.

And trust me, I've been in danger of hell fire many times. :devilflam

But back to the issue at hand. And that you still apparently deny, Reagan wasn't "very conservative". He was a moderate who believed in one key idea that differentiates him from many that came before and after --- Federalism.

I have a Reagan library... bios, autobio, policy statements (abortion), policy studies, personal letters, radio addresses, private diary, love letters to nancy, and a personal favorite... "how ronald reagan changed my life". It seems to me from my 20 years of Reagan study, that the facts are clear. He was the best president in modern era, a brilliant orator, a man who believed in conservative principles (yet struggled to implement them).... and most of all, a deeply spiritual man with a love for this country that rivals that of anyone who came before him.

Are you denying that Reagan raised taxes time after time? Expanded medicare? Bailed out social security? Added twice as much to the debt as every president combined before him? Grew the size of government? Or are you trying to say that these are conservative principles?

You were 'there' huh? Well, before you were, I AM. :worthy:

I can't keep defending a view on government that you don't accept. Its absolutely pointless. You're right, I'm wrong. Thats you're view. Thats ok with me.

I love religious freedom. Especially your right to believe as you do. I encourage you to do more though than write about it on BGR. Hopefully you're involved at levels that can influence those in power to follow your idea.

Reagan loved freedom. I'm sure we both can agree on that.

Fair enough. For obvious reason, there is a vast body of work and opinion out there about the life of Reagan. Liberals want to claim him, as in the case of Obama's brief flirtation with the idea that he and Reagan could somehow be packaged as political soul mates. However, a substantially more legitimate claim can be made by conservatives. One can find plenty of points to argue the case from either position, I freely conceed that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:Fair enough. For obvious reason, there is a vast body of work and opinion out there about the life of Reagan. Liberals want to claim him, as in the case of Obama's brief flirtation with the idea that he and Reagan could somehow be packaged as political soul mates. However, a substantially more legitimate claim can be made by conservatives. One can find plenty of points to argue the case from either position, I freely conceed that.

Although Reagan "matured" at a later time, the quotation from Sir Winston Churchill is appropo.

"If you are not a liberal at the age of 20, you have no heart. If you are not a conservative at the age of 40, you have no brain."
He will be a human lie detector.