Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7.8% Unempolyment? Who Believes It?
TheRealThing Wrote:I'll tell you what I realize. All any plant consists of, is a collection of pipes, valves, heaters, boilers, various types and kinds of machinery, and so on and so forth. None of them are non-replaceable. As a matter of fact, the items that make up the 'plant', are replaced almost daily throughout the life of the plant in a process known as maintenance. You do realize every plant has a maintenance department, right? The bigger work is usually accomplished during something called a shutdown. Been on a few of those myself. :biggrin: A plant therefore can continue to exist on into perpetuity. Even the concrete footings, pump bases and foundations are torn out and replaced as their serviceability begins to deteriorate. Same thing for the control rooms and the buildings, pipe racks, roads, etc.

Therefore to upgrade any facility into the 21st century all that is needed is equipment like scrubbers to clean up the emmissions. Of course, it would have been nice if the Obozo adminstration, would have decided to pour 90 billion dolars worth of aid into power stations, helping out our national interests, upgrading our infrastrucure and thereby saving the middle class a ton by keeping down the cost of electricity. But no, instead he put that much into Solyndra and other equally dubious rat holes and, as a result, the "costs of electricity necessarily skyrocketed". What a nincomPOTUS!
Bingo. Try replacing that monster in a unit. :biggrin: Powerplant units do, in fact, wear out, and outlive their usefulness.
TheRealVille Wrote:Bingo. Try replacing that monster in a unit. :biggrin: Powerplant units do, in fact, wear out, and outlive their usefulness.

:please:
TheRealVille Wrote:Bingo. Try replacing that monster in a unit. :biggrin: Powerplant units do, in fact, wear out, and outlive their usefulness.

Repeating the obvious, there is nothing in a power plant that cannot be replaced waaaaay more cheaply than shutting down the whole unit to repace it with---what? RV, it's a smoke screen. It is the unfolding of Obama's war on coal. You said yourself you install scrubbers that enable coal fired stations to burn coal which is high in pollutants like sulfur. How much cleaner then would it be to use our own locally high quality coal reserves? Modern technology has neutralized the threat coal poses to the environment. In my mind there is absolutely no justification for a nation blessed with abundant natural resources to run amok expecting the sky to fall.

We have the coal, it burns clean under the right circumstances, and it is abundant. Why put millions out of work and run utility prices through the roof for the sake of a largely unsubstantiated and therefore highly suspect global warming conspiracy? I mean, we've managed to bring our nation to it's knees dodging shadows.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:Repeating the obvious, there is nothing in a power plant that cannot be replaced waaaaay more cheaply than shutting down the whole unit to repace it with---what? RV, it's a smoke screen. It is the unfolding of Obama's war on coal. You said yourself you install scrubbers that enable coal fired stations to burn coal which is high in pollutants like sulfur. How much cleaner then would it be to use our own locally high quality coal reserves? Modern technology has neutralized the threat coal poses to the environment. In my mind there is absolutely no justification for a nation blessed with abundant natural resources to run amok expecting the sky to fall.

We have the coal, it burns clean under the right circumstances, and it is abundant. Why put millions out of work and run utility prices through the roof for the sake of a largely unsubstantiated and therefore highly suspect global warming conspiracy? I mean, we've managed to bring our nation to it's knees dodging shadows.
Scrubbers clean the coal, and a lot less pollutants enter the air with them, even with high sulfur coal.
WideRight05 Wrote::please:
At least, be in the industry before you try to interject an opinion on something you know nothing about.
TheRealVille Wrote:At least, be in the industry before you try to interject an opinion on something you know nothing about.

"Laziness may appear attractive, but real work gives satisfaction." - Anne Frank
TheRealVille Wrote:At least, be in the industry before you try to interject an opinion on something you know nothing about.

Seriously? So you're in the polling industry? The unemployment figures industry? How about politics?

Follow your own suggestion and Confusedhh:
ronald reagan Wrote:Seriously? So you're in the polling industry? The unemployment figures industry? How about politics?

Follow your own suggestion and Confusedhh:
No, I'm in the construction industry. Check back and you will see that he posted the "please sign" when I posted this

Quote:Bingo. Try replacing that monster in a unit. Powerplant units do, in fact, wear out, and outlive their usefulness.
He knows nothing about power plants, I do.
TheRealVille Wrote:No, I'm in the construction industry. Check back and you will see that he posted the "please sign" when I posted this

k.

Whats your next career gonna be, after Obama finishes his assault on coal?
TheRealVille Wrote:No, I'm in the construction industry. Check back and you will see that he posted the "please sign" when I posted this

“Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.” - Eoin Colter, Artemis Fowl
WideRight05 Wrote:“Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.” - Eoin Colter, Artemis Fowl
In the words of a famous singer, "It ain't cocky(I'll leave the next two words out for sensitive ears), if you can back it up".
TheRealVille Wrote:In the words of a famous singer, "It ain't cocky(I'll leave the next two words out for sensitive ears), if you can back it up".

:lame:
WideRight05 Wrote::lame:
Give us a run down on your coal power plant knowledge, and experience in them.
TheRealVille Wrote:Give us a run down on your coal power plant knowledge, and experience in them.

Give us a rundown of Obama's policies that have helped you in the last 4 years?
ronald reagan Wrote:Give us a rundown of Obama's policies that have helped you in the last 4 years?
Just in the last 4 years, I have made almost more than 8 years under the previous administration. You figure.
ronald reagan Wrote:k.

Whats your next career gonna be, after Obama finishes his assault on coal?
I don't need another career. But, that's the beauty of it. I will run piping systems on any new energy source. Coal doesn't provide me with a living. As a matter of fact, I have made my living this year cleaning up coal's mess.

My opinion is based on first hand knowledge. There is about as much difference between the various industrial plants as there is between chevys and fords. I've been in on the construction of a nuclear power plant, a steel mill, an electric steel mill, two oil refineries, a petro chemical plant, a coke producing plant, a sanitation facility, a hydroelectrical generating station, a coal liquification facility and various and sundry other industrial projects. And whether you like it or not, I've been involved in more than a few maintenance shut downs. Pipes are pipes, valves are valves, machinery is machinery, vessels are vessels, heaters are heaters and boilers are boilers, and, FWIW, it isn't easy to replace reactors or vessels or heaters, but it's done every darn day. I worked with my tools and I ran entire projects. I'm qualified to speak to this issue alright. My posts are correct and have been made from an informed position. Now, it's your turn to spin, like you do everything else.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:My opinion is based on first hand knowledge. There is about as much difference between the various industrial plants as there is between chevys and fords. I've been in on the construction of a nuclear power plant, a steel mill, an electric steel mill, two oil refineries, a petro chemical plant, a coke producing plant, a sanitation facility, a hydroelectrical generating station, a coal liquification facility and various and sundry other industrial projects. And whether you like it or not, I've been involved in more than a few maintenance shut downs. Pipes are pipes, valves are valves, machinery is machinery, vessels are vessels, heaters are heaters and boilers are boilers, and, FWIW, it isn't easy to replace reactors or vessels or heaters, but it's done every darn day. I worked with my tools and I ran entire projects. I'm qualified to speak to this issue alright. My posts are correct and have been made from an informed position. Now, it's your turn to spin, like you do everything else.
Was I talking to you, or Wideright? Explain how you would replace a coal fired boiler in a power house. One that covers at least 5-6 stories high in said plant.
TheRealVille Wrote:Was I talking to you, or Wideright? Explain how you would replace a coal fired boiler in a power house. One that covers at least 6-6 stories high in said plant.

Just pointing out that IMO, his support was not misplaced.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealVille Wrote:Was I talking to you, or Wideright? Explain how you would replace a coal fired boiler in a power house. One that covers at least 6-6 stories high in said plant.

Guys like us don't design them we just build them. I've been involved in some mammoth lifts. It can be done. In construction anything can be done. It's just a matter of planning and engineering.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:Just pointing out that IMO, his support was not misplaced.
How would you go about replacing that monster boiler in a 45 year old unit?
TheRealVille Wrote:Give us a run down on your coal power plant knowledge, and experience in them.

Why don't you give us a run down?

Big talk coming from someone who doesn't feel inclined to say why he is voting for Obama. :lmao:
therealville Wrote:was i talking to you, or wideright? Explain how you would replace a coal fired boiler in a power house. One that covers at least 5-6 stories high in said plant.

weak!
TheRealVille Wrote:How would you go about replacing that monster boiler in a 45 year old unit?

Well, after all the abatement of hazardous materials had been signed off on and all the related demo was done. I would drive in the front gate, get out of my truck. Roll open the drawings, read the specs, talk to the fitter boss, the boilermaker boss, the ironworker boss, and likely the operating engineer's boss, and come out of my trailer six guns blazing! :biggrin: You know these things are planned down to the last detail by engineers and architects. Any deviation from the plan and likely we'd all be down the road. And every job has it's unique applications. What's your point?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I was kind of spoiled when it comes to comparing now to the start of all this shit in 2008...not being able to find a good job, and it just feeling like the right thing for me led to me enlisting in the Army. Even after I got through my training, I had plenty of money because I didn't have any bills besides a cell phone. It was paradise.

Until I made the dumbass mistake of getting out. Now I'm going to school (with the help of the Post-9/11 GI Bill, thank God) with kids 4 and 5 years younger than me, which in itself is hard, lol. If it wasn't for my disability and the GI Bill, I'd be VERY, very screwed...even with the job i have now I'd still be in trouble...don't even want to think about it.

I like to live comfortably and be able to do the things I want. So far, I've been able to do that thankfully, but I'm reminded everyday of how bad it is. I worked hard to be where I'm at and I think I paid for the help I'm getting now. I'm technically disabled, but I don't like to use that word because I know a lot of guys who are a lot worse off than I am who don't use it. One of my buddies wanted me to take advantage of that disabled classification, but I can't do that. Makes me feel bad, lol.

I don't get aggravated when someone around my age brags about their degree and tries to put me down (which happens A LOT more than I thought it would, lol), because I know what I was doing when they were smacking their frat buddy's ass. I have a degree in real shit I think. But still, it'd be nice to not have to spend time on catching up. Very thankful to even have the help I do from the GI Bill though, it's been a lifesaver. I'm a much different person after the military, both good and bad, but I'm glad I did it not only for the experience, but for how they've taken care of me after. No way in hell I'd be in school right now without it.
TheRealThing Wrote:Well, after all the abatement of hazardous materials had been signed off on and all the related demo was done. I would drive in the front gate, get out of my truck. Roll open the drawings, read the specs, talk to the fitter boss, the boilermaker boss, the ironworker boss, and likely the operating engineer's boss, and come out of my trailer six guns blazing! :biggrin: You know these things are planned down to the last detail by engineers and architects. Any deviation from the plan and likely we'd all be down the road. And every job has it's unique applications. What's your point?
How many boiler(big ones, that is) replacements have you done?
vundy33 Wrote:I was kind of spoiled when it comes to comparing now to the start of all this shit in 2008...not being able to find a good job, and it just not feeling like the right thing for me led to me enlisting in the Army. Even after I got through my training, I had plenty of money because I didn't have any bills besides a cell phone. It was paradise.

Until I made the dumbass mistake of getting out. Now I'm going to school (with the help of the Post-9/11 GI Bill, thank God) with kids 4 and 5 years younger than me, which in itself is hard, lol. If it wasn't for my disability and the GI Bill, I'd be VERY, very screwed...even with the job i have now I'd still be in trouble...don't even want to think about it.

I like to live comfortably and be able to do the things I want. So far, I've been able to do that thankfully, but I'm reminded everyday of how bad it is. I worked hard to be where I'm at and I think I paid for the help I'm getting now. I'm technically disabled, but I don't like to use that word because I know a lot of guys who are a lot worse off than I am who don't use it. One of my buddies wanted me to take advantage of that disabled classification, but I can't do that. Makes me feel bad, lol.

You need to get past the part of feeling bad Vundy. When a man goes out and fights in war for his country and gets wounded or worse, hence the song "Some Gave All" Lots of folks are on a so called disability that don't deserve it but, yours is earned, my friend. Your country owes you that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealVille Wrote:How many boiler(big ones, that is) replacements have you done?

That's all the resume you get. I've done enough to know what I'm talking about. I've never built a bridge but I know it's done all the time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:You need to get past the part of feeling bad Vundy. When a man goes out and fights in war for his country and gets wounded or worse, hence the song "Some Gave All" Lots of folks are on a so called disability that don't deserve it but, yours is earned, my friend. Your country owes you that.

Yeah, but I already get disability pay and GI Bill. My buddy wanted me to get disability from the government, like Social Security or something like that. I don't need it now, that should be used for people who need it more who can't work. That's why it'd make me feel bad, because I don't need extra.

Heck, I'm so happy for the GI Bill, and what I get from the VA, I just don't need any more. I guess I could use it if and when I need it, but I'm good right now. I always got mad at the guys that claim PTSD when they sat on a huge base for the entire pump, so trying to get more than I need goes against my values I guess, haha.

But yeah, that's why I feel like that. One thing I can't complain about is the government taking care of us. There are cases where they can improve, but as a whole, they do a hell of a job.
TheRealThing Wrote:That's all the resume you get. I've done enough to know what I'm talking about. I've never built a bridge but I know it's done all the time.
That's what I thought.