Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dangerous bleachers in the 15th
I went to the sheldon clark v.s. paintsville game the other day and the away side bleachers for p-ville are the most dangerous bleachers that i have ever set its suprising to me that nobody has gotten hurt yet.
how are they dangerous?
Yeah?
Rickety. I sat over there one time and it made me so nervous, I bought some folding chairs and sat along in front of the bleachers. This was the year our Junior League team had to use that dugout. Those bleachers are too high.... and some aisles seem loose or something. The rows that aren't too high are okay... as far as not being unsteady feeling., however, the rows that are higher and in the shade are very unstable feeling.
IISnakE Wrote:Rickety. I sat over there one time and it made me so nervous, I bought some folding chairs and sat along in front of the bleachers. This was the year our Junior League team had to use that dugout. Those bleachers are too high.... and some aisles seem loose or something. The rows that aren't too high are okay... as far as not being unsteady feeling., however, the rows that are higher and in the shade are very unstable feeling.

Well, where I am talking about there are no bleachers. But, what about the parking area above those bleachers? If you aint careful you will get yer brains knocked out by a foul ball! LOL!! Seen many a car smacked up there! LOL! Actually not dangerous! Just funny!! LOL!! Better bring a GLOVE! GREAT SEATS THOUGH! :thumpsup:
If you want to see a set of dangerous bleachers, go to a Shelby Valley Fast-pitch softball game. I can't understand how a program that has been so successful during the past decade is still living in the mid-90s. Pikeville, East Ridge, and Belfry have state-of-the-art facilities...WHY NOT SV?
I Think Pikeville has very un safe dugouts...........the dug outs are open and level with the field during a game a boy got drilled in the chest by a foul ball but nothing serious yet!
Mr.Baseball2 Wrote:I Think Pikeville has very un safe dugouts...........the dug outs are open and level with the field during a game a boy got drilled in the chest by a foul ball but nothing serious yet!

Nothing wrong with an open dugout..I love Pikeville's dugout...As long as kids are paying attention they won't be getting drilled....Shelby Valley's used to be like that until the board came and put a fence around the dugout to avoid a lawsuit in the rare occurance of that...Really ruined the baseball feel of the game when they put that fence up...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kids need to be paying attention to the game anyway.
Johnson Central bleachers are steep also
Mr.Baseball2 Wrote:I Think Pikeville has very un safe dugouts...........the dug outs are open and level with the field during a game a boy got drilled in the chest by a foul ball but nothing serious yet!

Im going to agree with Mr.Baseball2 on this one
NYY10 Wrote:Im going to agree with Mr.Baseball2 on this one

So you like having a fence around the dugout? It just doesn't feel like baseball to me...Pikeville's dugouts are fine, because if the players had any sense they'd be paying attention to the game and not have to worry about a ball coming in and hitting them...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Well Alfus, you know I agree with you on this, but just for the sake of discussion let me ask this. (situation: your child is in the dugout without a guard of some sort. They are sitting there minding their own business watching the game, someone in a split second yells your child's name and they look around.[split second distraction: perhaps to have their cap tossed to them or a bottle of water tossed their way to hand to another player... who knows] but in the split second a ball is hit and it's a shot straight into the dugout, like the same one I saw @ Pikeville... and your child is hit. It's an accident plain and simple, but if your child is hit and seriously injured, how would you feel then? I was going to ask who would be responsible, but that's not the issue on this one but it would certainly come up.)
[this sounds like a an ad on tv for a lawyer...lol]

I'm certainly not trying to "stir" anything up, just making a point that sometimes the stars are lined up in a fashion and things happen... why not take the initiative and do something to prevent such an occurance. Kids are kids and even though they should be paying attention at all times, should a serious injury have to happen to them to prove the point?
You have some good points there, and I hadn't though of having a child get hit mainly because I'm at least 10 years from having a child or at least I hope...I dont know who would be responsible, the home school I suppose....I just like the feel of a real ball park with no big fence around a dugout...I think it really takes away from the game...Anyways, each to his own I suppose..You brought up some good points, I can see where you're coming from...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I dont think snake's scenario is very plausible...thats just me, but there is virtually no chance of that happening...
IISnakE Wrote:Well Alfus, you know I agree with you on this, but just for the sake of discussion let me ask this. (situation: your child is in the dugout without a guard of some sort. They are sitting there minding their own business watching the game, someone in a split second yells your child's name and they look around.[split second distraction: perhaps to have their cap tossed to them or a bottle of water tossed their way to hand to another player... who knows] but in the split second a ball is hit and it's a shot straight into the dugout, like the same one I saw @ Pikeville... and your child is hit. It's an accident plain and simple, but if your child is hit and seriously injured, how would you feel then? I was going to ask who would be responsible, but that's not the issue on this one but it would certainly come up.)
[this sounds like a an ad on tv for a lawyer...lol]

I'm certainly not trying to "stir" anything up, just making a point that sometimes the stars are lined up in a fashion and things happen... why not take the initiative and do something to prevent such an occurance. Kids are kids and even though they should be paying attention at all times, should a serious injury have to happen to them to prove the point?

I agree..good points Snake
I'm not wanting to "rag" on Pikeville because they have a wonderful facility. I did, however, witness a player from Pikeville get drilled by a fouled line shot right into the pikeville dugout and that kid was watching the game. My scenario may or may not seem plausible to you, but if a kid can get hit watching the game, it's plausible they could be distracted and accidentally hit as well. This is all I am saying on this, back to the bleacher discussion.
IISnakE Wrote:I'm not wanting to "rag" on Pikeville because they have a wonderful facility. I did, however, witness a player from Pikeville get drilled by a fouled line shot right into the pikeville dugout and that kid was watching the game. My scenario may or may not seem plausible to you, but if a kid can get hit watching the game, it's plausible they could be distracted and accidentally hit as well. This is all I am saying on this, back to the bleacher discussion.

Didnt he get killed...or someone from Pikeville did didnt they
No, it was not a serious injury. We're all glad of that, but IISnakE makes a good point.
NYY10 Wrote:Didnt he get killed...or someone from Pikeville did didnt they

That would have made some national headlines if that happened. I'd like to know where you got that from Smile
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
NYY10 Wrote:Didnt he get killed...or someone from Pikeville did didnt they
I think you are thinking of the Pikeville player that was killed after being struck by the ball in the outfield in 1984, Butch Davis.
fox sports Wrote:I think you are thinking of the Pikeville player that was killed after being struck by the ball in the outfield in 1984, Butch Davis.

I remember hearing about that..That's sad
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:I remember hearing about that..That's sad
Indeed it was.
Butch Davis is one of the namesakes of Davis Park, Pikeville's home field.
(Gene Davis, long time Pikeville coach is the other)