Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon Clark 7 - Lawrence Co 6
This was the 2nd game today of the Bulldog Classic. And I tell you the Bulldogs battled back to have it taken away from them in the bottom of the 7th inning.

The Dawgs had a runner on 2nd with 2 outs and then a wild pitch that went all the way to the back drop that the runner advances to 3rd and then the catchers is tring to run the ball down that had kicked toward the Dawgs dug out and the runner was half way home when the Umpire called the ball out of play whic should have given the runner home plate and after the two umpires talked about it they gave him home this was after SC coach had come out onto the field and then as the batter was getting ready there was another conference and then after they already gave hime home plate that tied the game they took it away and then it was a battle of word among all coaches.

It was a shame that the game had to end this way, both team battled all night.

So my understanding of the rule and i may be wrong is when the balk kicks into the dug out it is the base plus one. But I may be wrong.

ealier in the game LC had a simlar play but the lc runner was just getting to third when the base went into the dugout. On the play that is in question the runner was half to home when the ball went into the dug out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
I agree with u... Lawrence County had this game and then had it taken away... Not taking anything away with how sheldon clark played but i think Lc had this one and were robbed of bad umpires.
The umpires struggled to say the least. I'm not sure what the rule is but Coach Hall said that it is from the pitch the runner gets one base so I guess he sold his arguement pretty good. The runner in question should have never been on in the 1st place because he took strike 3 on a curve ball that the mit never moved on. After that he's thrown out on second by five feet and is called safe.

LC battled back and showed heart but the game should not have been close. SC should have had many more runs but bone head base running and bad breaks cost them dearly. SC had 12 hits and 0 errors and Lawrence had 5 hits and commited 5 errors.
Wow wish I could have been there to see all this. I wasn't so I will just say good win for the Cards and tough break for LC
My understanding of the rule is that if a throw,(including a pitch), is thrown, or kicked or spit or other various ways, into a dugout, the runner is awarded ONE base. If the umps awarded him home, it was a bad decision, hence coach hall stepping in. Then they overturn it AFTER talking with coach hall, looks real bad, but it was the right decision. Im not sure you can say that LC had it taken away, when from what i understand this run would have tied the game?? Sorry LC fans, it was the correct call...its really a tough break, but i dont want to play LC in the District tourny...
Close game, good job SC and good luck on the reaming season
The problem i have is that he had already reached 3rd and the fact that they had never covered home when the catcher went after the ball and was half way to home when the ball went out of the field of play and should have been awarded home.

And yes he it was a close play at 2nd base when he stole it, the tag was high and he slid under the tag.

And as far as balls and strikes johnson was all over the place, he is a good pitcher but they should have pulled him in the 5th his arm was gone then. Morgan pitched good and got stronger in the later part of the game. but he to was allover the place but was still bringing the heat. he was closer to the plate then Johnson was with his pitches. I didnt get to see the 1st 4 innings so i dont know how he was then.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kenneth Todd pitched the last 2 innings for SC.
The rule is the runner only gets one base when a PITCHED ball goes out of play.
Therefore, from what I can tell from your post is that if the runner was on 2nd when the pitch was made, then the runner should have only gotten 3rd.
fox sports Wrote:The rule is the runner only gets one base when a PITCHED ball goes out of play.
Therefore, from what I can tell from your post is that if the runner was on 2nd when the pitch was made, then the runner should have only gotten 3rd.

Yes it was a wild pitch and the runner made it to 3rd but because the catcher still hadnt gotten to the ball and it was still in play at the time and no one was covering home he made it around thrid and half way home before the ball went out of play so he should have been give home.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
No, it doesn't matter how long it takes to reach out of play...it's one base from the mound. Period, according to the rulebook.
fox sports Wrote:No, it doesn't matter how long it takes to reach out of play...it's one base from the mound. Period, according to the rulebook.

:thumpsup:
If that was the case and the runner had been on first and had made it all the way between 3rd and home before the ball went out of play they would have to send him back to 2nd. I don't think that would fly.
CatDawg Wrote:If that was the case and the runner had been on first and had made it all the way between 3rd and home before the ball went out of play they would have to send him back to 2nd. I don't think that would fly.

A rule is a rule...
Might be but there is no way anyone would send a runner back to second on my example.
CatDawg Wrote:Might be but there is no way anyone would send a runner back to second on my example.

Well....they would have to....
No they don't have to do anything. Just because its in the rule book doesn't mean they will always follow it.
What upset everyone was they gove it to us after a meeting that took about 15 mins, and they as they were getting ready for play and the pitcher was getting ready to pitch they had another meeting and took the run away.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]