Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handouts
Are liberals getting concerned about losing their free handouts when Romney gets elected? It has to be upsetting that the Obamaphone is not considered a Smartphone, and it has to be difficult knowing that you will never have the skills it takes to succeed in life - so you have to rely on Obama to get you what you need. Candy Crowder and Chris Matthews sure love the "vibrator mode" feature of the Obamaphone.
Are liberals getting concerned about losing their free handouts when Romney gets elected?
Yes

It has to be upsetting that the Obamaphone is not considered a Smartphone, and it has to be difficult knowing that you will never have the skills it takes to succeed in life - so you have to rely on Obama to get you what you need.
Scarey thought!!

Candy Crowder and Chris Matthews sure love the "vibrator mode" feature of the Obamaphone.

You are so sick!!
Confusednicker:
WideRight05 Wrote:Are liberals getting concerned about losing their free handouts when Romney gets elected? It has to be upsetting that the Obamaphone is not considered a Smartphone, and it has to be difficult knowing that you will never have the skills it takes to succeed in life - so you have to rely on Obama to get you what you need. Candy Crowder and Chris Matthews sure love the "vibrator mode" feature of the Obamaphone.

I can't wait till your alter ego replies to this.... Wink
WideRight05 Wrote:Are liberals getting concerned about losing their free handouts when Romney gets elected? It has to be upsetting that the Obamaphone is not considered a Smartphone, and it has to be difficult knowing that you will never have the skills it takes to succeed in life - so you have to rely on Obama to get you what you need. Candy Crowder and Chris Matthews sure love the "vibrator mode" feature of the Obamaphone.

I agree that "handouts" in some instances are bad. You have a very good example stated here!

How do you feel about Pail Grants?
I don't equate Pell Grants with handouts.

After all, you must use that money toward secondary education, if I understand the concept correctly.
Granny Bear Wrote:I don't equate Pell Grants with handouts.

After all, you must use that money toward secondary education, if I understand the concept correctly.

To some on the right it would be considered! So money going to education is ok with you, how about food or medical care for the poor?
Here is my problem. If liberals are so concerned with giving money to the poor, why don't they pony up and give up their car, give up that weekend trip to Lexington, give up a night out to eat and give that money to those in need?

Why is it the government's job to do so?

We, as individuals, do not need to government to participate in charity. Believe it or not, you can do things without governmental assistance. That may come as a shock, but it is true.

IMO, individuals should not be mandated to give to the poor via the government. If you want to, and I would encourage charity, then go right ahead. But, more often than not, the money goes to places that the use is grossly inappropriate.

I just get a kick out of liberals that drive pretty nice cars, have internet, have nice homes, etc... and act high and mighty when Republicans want to cut the Gov't handouts. If you are such a better person then prove it. Put your $ where your mouth is. Give up your internet and donate that money to charity.

You won't. You know why? Because we are all selfish to a certain extent. We all want to live comfortably. We all want luxuries. But don't let government decide to what extent that should be.

There is a place for Gov't assistance, but the current format is broken. And needs to be reformed.
tvtimeout Wrote:I agree that "handouts" in some instances are bad. You have a very good example stated here!

How do you feel about Pail Grants?

I consider the Pell Grant like an investment. I don't consider that, and actually nor do I consider welfare handouts. There are actually real, legitimate situations for both. However, the welfare program is being taken advantage of big time right now. I hope Memo Luna is reading this, as he has mentioned his experiences as a professor on here. I honestly don't know a lot about the pell grant and if it is being taken advantage of like welfare, but he would probably know more.

Now, getting back to my contention though - welfare, is meant for people who are seriously unable to get out and be a part of the workforce. The pell grant is like an investment. The student receives the pell grant to help them through school and cover their tuition. The student gets out of school and receives a nice job, making well above the national average. So, they would end up paying in taxes more than they originally received from the Pell due to their higher income, resulting in paying more taxes. I would bet that it is taken advantage of in some ways like welfare, but am not sure on this one.

It is not welfare, or the pell grant, themselves that most conservatives are against with Obama. If they're used for the right, legitimate situations, I am all for them. However, people continue to take advantage of the system, and our nation is providing more and more for them.
temporary help is one thing a lifetime of help is another
nky Wrote:temporary help is one thing a lifetime of help is another

whats temporary of getting college paid for lol?
well for most 4 years is temporary and Pell Grants doesn't pay for all of college LOL
what is temporary of never haveing to pay money back o.0...and sorry sir i didnt specify on the amount of college being paid for
So welfare recipient have to pay back the money?
get caught up into welfare fraud and see what you payback
^experienced?
not myself but i know someone who has..you pay every dime back..just as long as we have established never having to pay back a pell grant isnt temporary
So you're going to live off Pell Grants?
umm wouldnt pell grants go forward in helping you make money lmao?
only if you get a job but under President Obama that's not likely
FYI (I'll type slowly)
Quick information on Pell grants:
  • A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid.
  • The maximum Pell grant for the 2011-12 award year (July 1, 2011, to June 30, 2012) is $5,550.
  • The amount depends on your financial need, costs to attend school, status as a full-time or part-time student, and plans to attend school for a full academic year or less.
learn more at https://studentaid.ed.gov/types/grants-s...ships/pell
oh boy...unemployment isnt 51% lol....so unless my elementary school math is failing me its still likely you have a job rofl
Nope over 53% for college grads
http://news.yahoo.com/1-2-graduates-jobl...00522.html
53.6 percent, of bachelor's degree-holders under the age of 25 last year were jobless or underemployed, the highest share in at least 11 years
describe to me underemployed please
working a job that requires a high school diploma instead of a college one
nky Wrote:working a job that requires a high school diploma instead of a college one
Oh really? Confusednicker: What about high paying jobs that don't require a college degree? You think TRT and I were/are underemployed?
If you say so, just using the governments definition
nky Wrote:If you say so, just using the governments definition
Not really. Underemployed means several things.

Quote:Underemployment refers to an employment situation that is insufficient in some important way for the worker, relative to a standard.[1] Examples include holding a part-time job despite desiring full-time work, and overqualification, where the employee has education, experience, or skills beyond the requirements of the job.
Underemployment has been studied in recent decades from a variety of perspectives, including economics, management, psychology, and sociology. In economics, for example, the term underemployment has three different distinct meanings and applications. All meanings involve a situation in which a person is working, unlike unemployment, where a person who is searching for work cannot find a job. All meanings involve under-utilization of labor which is missed by most official (governmental agency) definitions and measurements of unemployment.
Underemployment can refer to:
"Overqualification" or "overeducation", or the employment of workers with high education, skill levels, and/or experience in jobs that do not require such abilities.[2] For example, a trained medical doctor who works as a taxi driver would experience this type of underemployment.
"Involuntary part-time" work, where workers who could (and would like to) be working for a full work-week can only find part-time work. By extension, the term is also used in regional planning to describe regions where economic activity rates are unusually low, due to a lack of job opportunities, training opportunities, or due to a lack of services such as childcare and public transportation.
"Overstaffing" or "hidden unemployment" (also called "labor hoarding"[3]), the practice in which businesses or entire economies employ workers who are not fully occupied---for example, workers currently not being used to produce goods or services due to legal or social restrictions or because the work is highly seasonal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underemployment

Quote:un·der·em·ployed (ndr-m-ploid)
adj.
1. Employed only part-time when one needs and desires full-time employment.
2. Inadequately employed, especially employed at a low-paying job that requires less skill or training than one possesses.
3. Not fully or adequately used or employed.
tvtimeout Wrote:To some on the right it would be considered! So money going to education is ok with you, how about food or medical care for the poor?

I absolutely do. The problem, as in so many other aid programs, is drawing the line between "need" and "exploitation".

There was a time early in my married life, when we qualified for government aid. My husband was adamant in his decision about that. Soooo, he got a second job. I was already working 2. We got through that time, and learned a lot of life lessons from it. It just seems to me, and I know this is a little vague, that work ethic, character, etc has been replaced by greed and immediate self gratification. Rather than doing without, making your ends meet, etc. folks want to get everything they can...with no responsibilities.

I think helping the poor with food and medical care is actually part of what America is all about, but when that's turned into a frenzy to see who can get what, the programs are exploited until they are no longer recognizeable.

I know how hard we have worked to make a decent life. I am offended by people who are too lazy to cash their government check.
TheRealVille Wrote:Oh really? Confusednicker: What about high paying jobs that don't require a college degree? You think TRT and I were/are underemployed?

College degrees are all fine and dandy, but right now there is more of a need for those with technical training rather than college training, IMO.

What you have right now are scores of educated dummies that cant screw a light bulb in a socket, which also IMO, is going to become more and more the case.