Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County 21 - Sheldon Clark 2
lc plays phs at phs wed.5/3 and boyd thur.5/4
Is Sheldon Clark ever going to win another game?
Tough loss to lose by that many
Congrats Lawrence County!
LC may be the best of the rest after the big three.
This is the biggest joke I have ever seen. SC should scrap the softball program. I don't care how many mommys and daddys cry about Title 9. Watching a SC softball game is only one rung up from watching the Jenifer Lopez & Ben Affleck movie Gigli. The program has yet to help put anyone into college by displaying their athleticsm and by looking at this years team I know nobody is going to play college softball. I am close friends with Robert Staggs (Pikeville College Head Softball Coach) and he said he has never seen a Sheldon Clark softball game and does not know of any plaer on the team. If you can't get a college coach that is less than an hour away to watch you one time maybe you should just give up.
Super-Card Wrote:This is the biggest joke I have ever seen. SC should scrap the softball program. I don't care how many mommys and daddys cry about Title 9. Watching a SC softball game is only one rung up from watching the Jenifer Lopez & Ben Affleck movie Gigli. The program has yet to help put anyone into college by displaying their athleticsm and by looking at this years team I know nobody is going to play college softball. I am close friends with Robert Staggs (Pikeville College Head Softball Coach) and he said he has never seen a Sheldon Clark softball game and does not know of any plaer on the team. If you can't get a college coach that is less than an hour away to watch you one time maybe you should just give up.

SC is having a hard time...alot of problems...not much they can do but finish out the season... There is a few players that have potential, but how can ne one ever get ne attention if thier team cant win? There have been some good games this year...but when SC gets down...there is no coming out of it... I'd like to c em shock the socks off everyone...lol, but its gonna take a lot of work and determination in order to do that.....I guess we will c how it goes..
Hold ur heads up CARDS and give em a fight 4 their money!
Super-Card Wrote:This is the biggest joke I have ever seen. SC should scrap the softball program. I don't care how many mommys and daddys cry about Title 9. Watching a SC softball game is only one rung up from watching the Jenifer Lopez & Ben Affleck movie Gigli. The program has yet to help put anyone into college by displaying their athleticsm and by looking at this years team I know nobody is going to play college softball. I am close friends with Robert Staggs (Pikeville College Head Softball Coach) and he said he has never seen a Sheldon Clark softball game and does not know of any plaer on the team. If you can't get a college coach that is less than an hour away to watch you one time maybe you should just give up.
all sc needs is a good league program and the proper training program.at lawrence for example they are broken down into three groups,pitchers/catchers,infield and outfield.the first hour of practice is position only the second hour is team/game situations.as for colleges scouting it is rare for any college coach to scout a high school game because their season is at the same time and they have a demanding schedule.mr. staggs is the rare coach who has the advantage of so many good teams playing in his home county.parents and players alike need to realize that they must promote their abilities to the coach and make them aware they are interested in their program.
Good post Dawg all programs take time to build especially softball in this area of the state. Give it some time it will catch on.

Are you sure that Robert Staggs doesn't know any player on the team or are you just making that up? because I know that he knows of one of them for sure.....
ggh04 Wrote:Are you sure that Robert Staggs doesn't know any player on the team or are you just making that up? because I know that he knows of one of them for sure.....

I know for a fact. I had heard a while back he was recruting a girl from SC and when I saw him at church I asked what local girls he was looking at and he gave some names. When he didn't mention anyone from Sheldon Clark I asked him if anyone from SC was being looked at and he said and I quote "Off the top of my head I can't give you a single name from Sheldon Clark. I know that we don't have any targets from SC, but I have never seen them play."
So yes I am sure. That is coming straight from his own mouth. Maybe he knows them outside of softball and hasn't put 2 & 2 together, but he is not after any SC softball players nor does he even know any.
Super-Card Wrote:I know for a fact. I had heard a while back he was recruting a girl from SC and when I saw him at church I asked what local girls he was looking at and he gave some names. When he didn't mention anyone from Sheldon Clark I asked him if anyone from SC was being looked at and he said and I quote "Off the top of my head I can't give you a single name from Sheldon Clark. I know that we don't have any targets from SC, but I have never seen them play."
So yes I am sure. That is coming straight from his own mouth. Maybe he knows them outside of softball and hasn't put 2 & 2 together, but he is not after any SC softball players nor does he even know any.

I know that he knows one of them most definatley.....I am 100% sure that he knows of one of them, not a doubt in my mind about it. Maybe he just wasn't thinking about her? I'm pretty sure that she is going to play there....
ggh04 Wrote:I know that he knows one of them most definatley.....I am 100% sure that he knows of one of them, not a doubt in my mind about it. Maybe he just wasn't thinking about her? I'm pretty sure that she is going to play there....
I asked him this morning and he said that nobody from SC was getting any type of financial aid to play softball. Now maybe the individual you are speaking of is going to go to school there and walk on the softball team, but he said he is certain no scholarships have been given out. So he could very well know her, but she is not, from what I can gather, in his mind going to be on the softball team outside of walking-on. I still stand by my statment saying that the program should be scraped because walking on is no achievment. Anyone can walk on any where. Softball is the biggest waste of time at Sheldon Clark since girls basketball.
Super-Card Wrote:I asked him this morning and he said that nobody from SC was getting any type of financial aid to play softball. Now maybe the individual you are speaking of is going to go to school there and walk on the softball team, but he said he is certain no scholarships have been given out. So he could very well know her, but she is not, from what I can gather, in his mind going to be on the softball team outside of walking-on. I still stand by my statment saying that the program should be scraped because walking on is no achievment. Anyone can walk on any where. Softball is the biggest waste of time at Sheldon Clark since girls basketball.

Yeah, I dont think the person we are talking about is getting any financial aid to play, but the coach calls this person very regularly and talks about her playing softball....and yeah SC softball team isn't great but why should everyone be so mean about it? SC softball hasn't always been so bad..why look at the tropheys in the school and you'll know that... The team has alot of young players who could be very good in the future if they stick with it and give it their all, but if they won't do that then yeah its a total waste of time...
I think that in order for Sheldon Clark athletics to pick up, especially softball, there needs to be like summer leagues and camps and all these other things that teach players how to be fundamentally sound and get the young ones interested. I think a lot of the difference with the softball program, is girls in other counties have a league to play in before it comes time for high school softball, am I wrong? They start at a young age and gain knowledge and skill that nobody from Sheldon Clark got.

In my day (wow, makes me sound old) Martin County had a little league for softball... and I participated. That program weeded out the kids that really just didn't cut it athletically and worked with the ones with talent and made them ready to perform at a varsity level. The SCHS softball program has not been the same SINCE about '02 and that is kinda the generation that grew up with the junior league to start out in.

As far as nobody getting scholarships, thats not the girls' fault.. you can have a very outstanding player but if your coach doesn't CARE enough to try to get you looked at, believe me, you won't get looked at. You've gotta get your name out there before ANYONE will be interested, especially on a team with a constant losing season.

And about the coaching -- I think a change of coaching staff is in order with nearly EVERY Sheldon Clark sport, it would make a world of difference if we got people in that didn't worry about politics and who you are... and whether or not your daddy is gonna get his shotgun out on them... haha. But yeah, Larry May, for example, may know baseball and how to coach boys, but as far as getting a bunch of girls together and getting them to play well, I think he needs to step down and let SC find someone else.
twentythree Wrote:I think that in order for Sheldon Clark athletics to pick up, especially softball, there needs to be like summer leagues and camps and all these other things that teach players how to be fundamentally sound and get the young ones interested. I think a lot of the difference with the softball program, is girls in other counties have a league to play in before it comes time for high school softball, am I wrong? They start at a young age and gain knowledge and skill that nobody from Sheldon Clark got.

In my day (wow, makes me sound old) Martin County had a little league for softball... and I participated. That program weeded out the kids that really just didn't cut it athletically and worked with the ones with talent and made them ready to perform at a varsity level. The SCHS softball program has not been the same SINCE about '02 and that is kinda the generation that grew up with the junior league to start out in.

As far as nobody getting scholarships, thats not the girls' fault.. you can have a very outstanding player but if your coach doesn't CARE enough to try to get you looked at, believe me, you won't get looked at. You've gotta get your name out there before ANYONE will be interested, especially on a team with a constant losing season.

And about the coaching -- I think a change of coaching staff is in order with nearly EVERY Sheldon Clark sport, it would make a world of difference if we got people in that didn't worry about politics and who you are... and whether or not your daddy is gonna get his shotgun out on them... haha. But yeah, Larry May, for example, may know baseball and how to coach boys, but as far as getting a bunch of girls together and getting them to play well, I think he needs to step down and let SC find someone else.

great post...I agree with most of it...
ggh04 Wrote:great post...I agree with most of it...

Thanks! :thumpsup:
Super-Card Wrote:I asked him this morning and he said that nobody from SC was getting any type of financial aid to play softball. Now maybe the individual you are speaking of is going to go to school there and walk on the softball team, but he said he is certain no scholarships have been given out. So he could very well know her, but she is not, from what I can gather, in his mind going to be on the softball team outside of walking-on. I still stand by my statment saying that the program should be scraped because walking on is no achievment. Anyone can walk on any where. Softball is the biggest waste of time at Sheldon Clark since girls basketball.

Ok.. this player from Sc will be attending Pikeville College.. Im not sure about the financial aid and scholarship.. But the coach has made contact with this player numerous times.. And softball is not a waste of time.. Some people do like to attend the games.. So if you dont.. Then just why complain about it.. Just don't go.. And girls basketball bein a waste of time?... oh how wrong you are there.. i believe the lady cards did very well in past season with new coach, Roger Harless.. They went from winning 3 games.. To having a winning season at 15-14.. And it was a very exciting season with many close games.. So a waste of time.. Im believe not..
That's a beating.
hey i know schs dont win but i think its great they still play on for the love of the game.in the end its not about winning its the love of the game and being the best you can be.i would love the opportunity to coach this team,because they obviously have the love of the game to keep showing up.so i give schs the award for the love of the game keep loving it it will come
firebird Wrote:hey i know schs dont win but i think its great they still play on for the love of the game.in the end its not about winning its the love of the game and being the best you can be.i would love the opportunity to coach this team,because they obviously have the love of the game to keep showing up.so i give schs the award for the love of the game keep loving it it will come

Thank You very much..I will pass it on to the girls...they have a few who could care less, but most of the girls go out there with a winning attitude every game.... alot of very young players who have great potetnial to b great...with a lil work SC softball could have a great future...
ggh04 Wrote:Thank You very much..I will pass it on to the girls...they have a few who could care less, but most of the girls go out there with a winning attitude every game.... alot of very young players who have great potetnial to b great...with a lil work SC softball could have a great future...

Its gonna take more than a little work from Freshmen. Like I said, in order for Softball to become a serious and respected sport in Martin County there needs to be some kind of foundation at a younger age. Fundamentals first!