Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rope A Dope II
Dont have much time to go into much right now. But the more I think about what transpired last night, I firmly believe that was Romney's debate stategy . Just throwing this out for you all to ponder and comment on until I have a little more time to elaborate.

Thoughts?
Romney did come off as more poised and more Presidential. The President had to come out swinging with all his might, and all Romney had to do was respond with poise and candor.

Where you say it was Romney's strategy, I contend that it was Baracks strategy to try and unsettle Romney. Obama needed Romney to show emotion show his people could contend that Romney breaks under pressure. You could tell that Obama was frustrated in his attempts and it did a 180 on the President instead - it was the President who looked desperate!
^Agree, Romney knows the fact checkers will flood the news loop with follow ups from both debates. It's worth noting that each time there has been a point of contention between the two candidates, fact checkers have come in on Romney's side. Same thing is true for last night, when the points are relitigated on the news, video clips and other indisputable supporting evidence will be offered up. I saw the clip of Obama speaking today on his appology tour, facts are stubborn things and reliving the moment is even more impactful than watching in real time. By the time world leaders get through weighing in on Obama's self proclaimed foreign policy successes, he will look even worse. America stronger now than when he took office? Only in the minds of the 'eyes glazed over' liberal dreamers.

Why would Romney give in to an emotional exchange with Obama where one has a tendency to bury himself? Obama's venom laced tirades of the last two debates, made him look "petulant and petty". But, being devoid of a defensible record, that's all he's got. The distortions and the fabrications, I mean, he even does it to himself. Take the Benghazi deal for example. How many different stories have we heard now? If one were to read back the transcripts of administration officials in a court of law, the abundance of contradictions would compel the jury to convict.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bob Seger Wrote:Dont have much time to go into much right now. But the more I think about what transpired last night, I firmly believe that was Romney's debate stategy . Just throwing this out for you all to ponder and comment on until I have a little more time to elaborate.

Thoughts?
I agree, Bob. I was very frustrated listening to Romney during the debate last night, but like you, I now believe that Romney executed his strategy perfectly. He looked presidential and by staying so calm, he frustrated Obama and made him look childish. Obama was the aggressor, but all Romney needed to do was look presidential and he accomplished that mission. Romney understands that this election will be decided on the economy, and highlighting Obama's failed economic policies and repeating his five-point plan, he probably swayed a lot of people last night.

I also thought Bob Schieffer did a very good job of staying out of both candidates' way and letting them decide the outcome of debate. He let them ramble beyond foreign policy at times, but he gave both men the same sort of latitude.
My thoughts are similar to Hoot's. I was wondering what happened to Mitt Romney when he backed down from Obama. I still don't like how he stuttered and stumbled through his lines, but I was shocked to see the positive reaction. In the end, it was probably a better strategy because he would have been labeled a war mongerer, drawn Bush comparisons, etc. which would not be good for him in this scenario.

Also, I think it's tough to debate any sitting president on foreign policy. But given the scenario, Romney did well. The economy should have something to do with foreign policy. After all, we work with and help fund other countries. We can't do this, if we can't take care of ourselves first.