Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 3 Greenup County 1 (Round of 16, Boys' Soccer State Tournament)
Panthers take a 3-0 lead into the half and Greenup nets one in the last 5 minutes.

Pikeville advance to the Elite 8 of the Boys' Soccer State Tournament!

Something about blowing out Greenup County in State Tournament games? :biggrin:

Pikeville will play Henderson County (2-0 winners over Marshall County) Saturday at 3:00 PM at Henry Clay. PHS is the last Class A school left.

HAIL PIKEVILLE!
Very proud, love it how Pikeville competes with the much bigger schools!
I knew they would win this one. It wouldn't suprise me if they won the next one. Congrats! Rep the mountains well guys!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
I will root for them, but I'm very afraid for them next round!:Cheerlead
Congrats to Pikeville!

I hope they can get another win in the next round but realistically idk if they will. Henderson is a very good program who has notched some very impressive games against high quality teams this season.

In saying that though, best of luck to the Panthers. It would be nice to see a mountain team in the Final 4!
I'm rooting SO hard for the Panthers. Few people realize how hard it is for a small school like Pikeville to have this much success across a broad spectrum of sports. They have won region and advanced to Elite 8 in soccer this year, were a Final Four program in baseball, advanced to the Final Four of the All A softball tourney, won a regional football title again last year, ranked as high as #53 in the state in volleyball (finished this season with a 29-10 record while winning the Harrison County tournament over a highly ranked Marion County), were district champs a couple years ago in basketball in a very hotly contested district, etc. I could go on and include the academic successes as well, but not the right forum. The school is simply a great PROGRAM overall and we are very proud of these kids!
:Thumbs:I agree! Pikeville has always brought great teams. You also forgot there girls soccer was regional semi finals last year. How did they do this year? Good luck to the panthers and Mountain schools.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
PHSForever Wrote:I'm rooting SO hard for the Panthers. Few people realize how hard it is for a small school like Pikeville to have this much success across a broad spectrum of sports. They have won region and advanced to Elite 8 in soccer this year, were a Final Four program in baseball, advanced to the Final Four of the All A softball tourney, won a regional football title again last year, ranked as high as #53 in the state in volleyball (finished this season with a 29-10 record while winning the Harrison County tournament over a highly ranked Marion County), were district champs a couple years ago in basketball in a very hotly contested district, etc. I could go on and include the academic successes as well, but not the right forum. The school is simply a great PROGRAM overall and we are very proud of these kids!

Guys, I'm not trying to burst any bubbles. Cause I am tickled as well for them. BUT, with the new re-alignments. It made it much easier for a team from the 15th or 16th to make it to the Elite 8 or Final Four.

Just being honest. If this were the case last season. Paintsville's squad WOULD have reached the Final Four. BUT, this isn't last season.

At least now a mountain squad will reach the state tourney EVERY year.
Good Luck and go Panthers!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:Guys, I'm not trying to burst any bubbles. Cause I am tickled as well for them. BUT, with the new re-alignments. It made it much easier for a team from the 15th or 16th to make it to the Elite 8 or Final Four.

Just being honest. If this were the case last season. Paintsville's squad WOULD have reached the Final Four. BUT, this isn't last season.

At least now a mountain squad will reach the state tourney EVERY year.
Good Luck and go Panthers!
I'm not taking any offense, and I certainly don't mean any either, but aren't the regional alignments like the baseball and basketball ones? If so, you STILL have to win the games. So congrats are still in order to them for taking care of business, likewise, congrats to the Lawrence County girls team on their win and advancement. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I certainly am a novice with soccer.

Irregardless, looking at the bracket, it seems Pikeville did get a draw that works favorably for them to possibly reach the final four, although Dunbar is no slouch of a team, I know they've been among the best teams in Lexington for a while now.
Soccer has sub sectionals which men's you play the same region every year. Baseball did it for a while, but switched to a random draw. Congrats anyway to the Panthers. Good Luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

It's my understanding that you don't play the same region every year. Sub-sectionals is split into four region groupings. Each year one region will play a different one in that respective group. The 13, 14, 15, and 16 are one of those groups. This year the 13 and 14 played as well as the 15 and 16. After that opening round game it is a random draw who you play. I don't necessarily like the idea of a sub-sectional in soccer because I don't know if you get the feel of really being a part of the state tournament since one team essentially gets a home game.

Nonetheless, it is good for the mountain teams since we compete best with other mountain teams because let's face it...in the grand scheme of things if you compared the mountain area to the rest of the state we are the bottom of the barrel as far as soccer advancement. There has been improvement though in the last 5-10 years which is nothing to scoff at BUT, we still have a long way to go before we see a team really compete in a statewide tournament.
dores legend Wrote:It's my understanding that you don't play the same region every year. Sub-sectionals is split into four region groupings. Each year one region will play a different one in that respective group. The 13, 14, 15, and 16 are one of those groups. This year the 13 and 14 played as well as the 15 and 16. After that opening round game it is a random draw who you play. I don't necessarily like the idea of a sub-sectional in soccer because I don't know if you get the feel of really being a part of the state tournament since one team essentially gets a home game.

Nonetheless, it is good for the mountain teams since we compete best with other mountain teams because let's face it...in the grand scheme of things if you compared the mountain area to the rest of the state we are the bottom of the barrel as far as soccer advancement. There has been improvement though in the last 5-10 years which is nothing to scoff at BUT, we still have a long way to go before we see a team really compete in a statewide tournament.

Nope, all you have to do is drive to Lexington tomorrow and be at Henry Clay HS at 3:00 and you will see it.:Thumbs:
I'll be there...
PHSForever Wrote:I'm not taking any offense, and I certainly don't mean any either, but aren't the regional alignments like the baseball and basketball ones? If so, you STILL have to win the games. So congrats are still in order to them for taking care of business, likewise, congrats to the Lawrence County girls team on their win and advancement. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I certainly am a novice with soccer.

Irregardless, looking at the bracket, it seems Pikeville did get a draw that works favorably for them to possibly reach the final four, although Dunbar is no slouch of a team, I know they've been among the best teams in Lexington for a while now.

What is different now is. This is the first year for the allignment like baseball and basketball (which I agree with) (Just a year to late...lol.). There were ONLY four teams in the Regional Tourney this year and it is actually played in the 15th. Before, the Region had EIGHT teams and you had to travel to London or Corbin. Last season we had to make four trips to London! Plus the teams in years past were much harder to get by to make it to state. I look for Pikeville, Paintsville and JC to rule the 15th for years to come.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
I agree with your 15th region assessment. Despite the travel difficulties, the region needs to see higher quality opponents to get past the region year in and year out. The state opened the doors for regions 14-16, but now the game speed experience and adjustments must improve for all these teams. I am sure my statement is easier said than done due to travel, etc. Congrats to Pikeville on a great season.
ekfc Wrote:I agree with your 15th region assessment. Despite the travel difficulties, the region needs to see higher quality opponents to get past the region year in and year out. The state opened the doors for regions 14-16, but now the game speed experience and adjustments must improve for all these teams. I am sure my statement is easier said than done due to travel, etc. Congrats to Pikeville on a great season.

Could not agree more. Teams in any three of the 14-16th regions until they go out and see what they are up against. I don't think that playing teams in the 13th will count either. It does suck that a lot of schools can't afford to drive to central and northern ky every year to play the higher quality opponents but that is where the talent is.

I believe another problem could be the absence of club teams based in eastern ky. It's hard to cultivate talent without the right kind of youth programs. And most or all recreational leagues around here are very inadequate due to coaching. Growing talent starts at the grassroots level and until that problem is dealt with eastern ky soccer teams are going to continue to play at this same general level of beating each other to death then not doing so well outside of the region.
^I know Paintsville goes to the Bluegrass Games every year and plays pretty high quality teams every year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
^ I had heard that too. They should continue to do that as well because it is working. They have a couple very exceptional players in Nordin and Baldwin.
Letcher Central needs to do this. Club soccer is the way to go.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!