Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Happened in the Benghazi Attack?
I was just curious, could someone list the events here and maybe a map that shows what happened? I'm just curious. I know there's been a lot of different updates since it happened about two months ago.

Just to make it clear, I'm talking about the attack on the US embassy in Libya on 9/11/2012.
The attack was not on the embassy, which is located in Tripoli, it was on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi and a CIA safe house, which is located about a mile away.

Good luck finding out what really happened in Benghazi before the election. There are important questions that only President Obama can answer and he says that he needs a full investigation before he will be able to explain his actions.

Short of President Obama deciding to give an honest account of what happened, the most complete account of what happened is probably the one put together by Fox News' Brett Baer.

[YOUTUBE="Benghazi Terrorist Attack"]nMSFzB01SN8[/YOUTUBE]
Another video that gives some context about what happened in Benghazi.

[YOUTUBE="Obama Fails to Send Help"]gf8lHz_7R_Y[/YOUTUBE]
It would be helpful if the liberal media gave this one-tenth the coverage they gave to Cindy Sheehan.
Wonder if she's still sitting there?
I would guess that the media has probably given more coverage to "horses and bayonets," "binders full of women," and "big bird" than this, sadly.
I'll tell you what happened. The CIA guys, two former SEALs, were ordered to stand down. They didn't, and fought back for hours. One even lased targets for aircraft that could have easily and precisely taken out targets, but they didn't. They are damn heroes if I've ever seen one.
vundy33 Wrote:I'll tell you what happened. The CIA guys, two former SEALs, were ordered to stand down. They didn't, and fought back for hours. One even lased targets for aircraft that could have easily and precisely taken out targets, but they didn't. They are damn heroes if I've ever seen one.
Vundy, is there any reason to believe that anybody in the Benghazi consulate would have survived if the Seals had not rushed to their aid? Do you think that the White House expected to lose everybody at the consulate when the order was given for the Seals to stand down? I think that the spontaneous mob violence triggered by a Youtube video might have stuck had there been no survivors.
Here's my take.

Obama and Co. knew there was a legitimate threat to the consulate. No, not one of the thousands I'm sure they receive a day, but legit intelligence that there would be some form of attack. Instead of preparing for and securing the area they let it happen, and when it did happen they refused to offer any help to the AMERICANS who there. I believe their thought was they could get a bump in the polls and maybe secure a more conservative state like Ohio in the elections. They could play the patriotic card, so on and so forth.

Based off what I have read about the history of Chicago politics, this type of thing would not surprise me at all. To President Obama that type of thing is just par for the course when it comes to winning elections.

I have yet to ever understand or heard an explanation of why American forces became involved in Libya in the first place. It's kind of like we just woke up one day and fighting was going on, and no one bother to explained why.
You guys search on fox news "Charles Woods". He's the father of one of the navy seals that was killed. It will do you no good to search on ABC, CBS, NBC, CNBC or CNN. There was NO response to my search on those networks; only foxnews.

Watch the interview with Mr. Woods and Judge Jeanine. Hell, watch ALL of them; I did. It will make you sick.

Obama knew, and he knew from the start!! He sat there with his "staff" and watched these navy seals, and American citizens get slaughtered and didn't do a damn thing but ignore their pleas for help!!! He watched this atrocity in real time!!
Granny Bear Wrote:You guys search on fox news "Charles Woods". He's the father of one of the navy seals that was killed. It will do you no good to search on ABC, CBS, NBC, CNBC or CNN. There was NO response to my search on those networks; only foxnews.

Watch the interview with Mr. Woods and Judge Jeanine. Hell, watch ALL of them; I did. It will make you sick.

Obama knew, and he knew from the start!! He sat there with his "staff" and watched these navy seals, and American citizens get slaughtered and didn't do a damn thing but ignore their pleas for help!!! He watched this atrocity in real time!!
You don't know any of what you are saying to be true. Fact is, none of us do at this time. All you know is what a Fox News "source" is saying, but the CIA spokeswoman says different. You say you are "through" with Obama? I beg to differ. I have read most of your political posts over time, and you never "started" with Obama. As usual with a lot of republicans, you shoot first, aim later.

Quote:CIA spokeswoman Jennifer Youngblood on Friday denied the claims that requests for help on Sept. 11 were denied.
"We can say with confidence that the Agency reacted quickly to aid our colleagues during that terrible evening in Benghazi," she said. "Moreover, no one at any level in the CIA told anybody not to help those in need; claims to the contrary are simply inaccurate. In fact, it is important to remember how many lives were saved by courageous Americans who put their own safety at risk that night-and that some of those selfless Americans gave their lives in the effort to rescue their comrades."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/...z2AsSjYUZk
You don't know any of what you are saying to be true. Fact is, none of us do at this time. All you know is what a Fox News "source" is saying, but the CIA spokeswoman says different. You say you are "through" with Obama? I beg to differ. I have read most of your political posts over time, and you never "started" with Obama. As usual with a lot of republicans, you shoot first, aim later.

This is a damn lie!!!

I didn't read a fox news source; I listened to a grieving father describe what it felt like to shake the hand of a deserter who CHOSE not to attempt to do anything to save his son. I tried to be fair; I searched the other websites...guess what....NO response.

No, I gave Obama a chance. I believe I needed to support the president of my country no matter who was elected. I tried to be open minded..NO MORE.

This is an atrocity that he created, and (THIS is speculation) for political reasons!

I'm not about to defend my opinion to you or anybody else. You say I shoot first, well at least I react. What Obama choses to do in response to the Libyan slaughter was criminal.

JMO
Granny Bear Wrote:You don't know any of what you are saying to be true. Fact is, none of us do at this time. All you know is what a Fox News "source" is saying, but the CIA spokeswoman says different. You say you are "through" with Obama? I beg to differ. I have read most of your political posts over time, and you never "started" with Obama. As usual with a lot of republicans, you shoot first, aim later.

This is a damn lie!!!

I didn't read a fox news source; I listened to a grieving father describe what it felt like to shake the hand of a deserter who CHOSE not to attempt to do anything to save his son. I tried to be fair; I searched the other websites...guess what....NO response.

No, I gave Obama a chance. I believe I needed to support the president of my country no matter who was elected. I tried to be open minded..NO MORE.

This is an atrocity that he created, and (THIS is speculation) for political reasons!

I'm not about to defend my opinion to you or anybody else. You say I shoot first, well at least I react. What Obama choses to do in response to the Libyan slaughter was criminal.

JMO
The father is reacting to a Fox news "source". It even says it in the article.

Quote:Charles Woods was reacting to accounts by Fox News sources that a request from the CIA annex for backup was denied by U.S. officials. His son, Tyrone Woods, was killed in the Sept. 11 assault.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/...z2Asdz7DiI
Sec. Of Defense Leon Paneta said that no help was sent to Benghazi because there was not enough known about the situation on the ground. This, despite a live feed from two drones and real time communication with the people who were under siege. As for denials from the underlings of Obama, what kind of people are still accepting the words of the despicable human beings who blamed a YouTube video for the terrorist attack and are still holding its producer prisoner without bail? Are you serious?
TheRealVille Wrote:The father is reacting to a Fox news "source". It even says it in the article.

I didn't read an article; I watched 3 interviews. I heard his own words; NOT a reaction to a news "source". The "source" was his grief. And you know what, he isn't placing blame anywhere, and ends his interview adamantly proclaiming forgiveness for whoever was at fault.

Have you even watched the interview?

Why didn't the other networks report on this?

Do you ever question anything this president does, or doesn't do in this case?

Are you still undstanding that this president blamed the YouTube video for this horrible tragedy?

I never figured you for a kool-aid drinker RV, but you are continuing to prove me wrong on that. Mr. Woods is a far better person that I could ever aspire to be. He has earned my respect and gratitude.
Granny Bear Wrote:I didn't read an article; I watched 3 interviews. I heard his own words; NOT a reaction to a news "source". The "source" was his grief. And you know what, he isn't placing blame anywhere, and ends his interview adamantly proclaiming forgiveness for whoever was at fault.

Have you even watched the interview?

Why didn't the other networks report on this?

Do you ever question anything this president does, or doesn't do in this case?

Are you still undstanding that this president blamed the YouTube video for this horrible tragedy?

I never figured you for a kool-aid drinker RV, but you are continuing to prove me wrong on that. Mr. Woods is a far better person that I could ever aspire to be. He has earned my respect and gratitude.
Yes, I watched the video. I'll say it one more time. Look at the Fox article accompanying the video. The dad in his Fox interview is reacting to a "report" from a Fox news source.

Quote:Charles Woods was reacting to accounts by Fox News sources that a request from the CIA annex for backup was denied by U.S. officials. His son, Tyrone Woods, was killed in the Sept. 11 assault.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/...z2Asdz7DiI
Charles Woods personally met with President Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and concluded that they were not telling the truth about what happened in Benghazi. To say that Mr. Woods' opinion is based solely on a Fox News report is a lie. Furthermore, what kind of man would accept the word of a president who says that he needs an investigation that will take place after the election to answer a simple question about an event in which he was a central figure? Obama knows what he did or did not do that night.

Also, Mr. Woods' son was a 41 year old retired Navy Seal. Does anybody really believe that none of the people with whom he worked confided anything about what happened with his grief stricken father? That is just not how the real world works. Fox News is not the villain here.
I read the article; used your link.
My mind hasn't changed in the slightest.
As a matter of fact this article quotes Mr. Woods..."I wish the leadership in the white House had the same level of moral courage and heroism that my son displayed."

I agree.
Here is another clip of Mr. Woods, in which he explains his impressions from personal meetings with Obama, Biden, and Hillary Clinton. Yes, Glenn Beck is doing the interview but he barely speaks in the clip. Close your eyes and you will barely know that he is there. If Mr. Woods decides to take sides in the election, which he has not done, then watch the cockroaches who are lying for this administration scramble for their resumes!

[YOUTUBE="Charles Woods Thoughts on Obama, Biden, and Clinton"]a9tXekIVTsc[/YOUTUBE]
Just say n.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Vundy, is there any reason to believe that anybody in the Benghazi consulate would have survived if the Seals had not rushed to their aid? Do you think that the White House expected to lose everybody at the consulate when the order was given for the Seals to stand down? I think that the spontaneous mob violence triggered by a Youtube video might have stuck had there been no survivors.

Very insightful Hoot. I hope some patriot steps up and goes on record about what happened in the situation room before it's too late.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I know this an opinion column, but this guy makes good points. Also, the first comment you see at the bottom is a good one.

Quote:The attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi has become a political football in the presidential campaign, with all the grandstanding and misinformation that entails. But Fox News has raised some questions about the attack that deserve a clearer answer from the Obama administration.

Fox’s Jennifer Griffin reported Friday that CIA officers in Benghazi had been told to “stand down” when they wanted to deploy from their base at the annex to repel the attack on the consulate, about a mile away. Fox also reported that the CIA officers requested military support when the annex came under fire later that night but that their request had been denied.

The Benghazi tragedy was amplified by Charles Woods, the father of slain CIA contractor Tyrone Woods. He told Fox’s Sean Hannity that White House officials who didn’t authorize military strikes to save the embattled CIA annex were “cowards” and “are guilty of murdering my son.”

The Fox “stand down” story prompted a strong rebuttal from the CIA: “We can say with confidence that the agency reacted quickly to aid our colleagues during that terrible evening in Benghazi. Moreover, no one at any level in the CIA told anybody not to help those in need; claims to the contrary are simply inaccurate.”

So what did happen in Benghazi on the night of Sept. 11, when Woods, Ambassador Christopher Stevens and two others Americans were killed? The best way to establish the facts would be a detailed, unclassified timeline of events; officials say they are preparing one, and that it may be released later this week. That’s a must, even in the volatile final week of the campaign. In the meantime, here’s a summary of some of the basic issues that need to be clarified.

First, on the question of whether Woods and others were made to wait when they asked permission to move out immediately to try to rescue those at the consulate. The answer seems to be yes, but not for very long. There was a brief, initial delay — two people said it was about 20 minutes — before Woods was allowed to leave. One official said Woods and at least one other CIA colleague were “in the car revving the engine,” waiting for permission to go. Woods died about six hours later, after he returned to the annex.

The main reason for the delay, several sources said, was that CIA officials were making urgent contact with a Libyan militia, known as the February 17 Brigade, which was the closest thing to an organized security force in Benghazi. The United States depends on local security to protect U.S. diplomatic facilities everywhere, and officials wanted to coordinate any response to the consulate attack. After this delay, Woods and his colleague proceeded to the consulate.

Here’s my question: Was it wise to depend on a Libyan militia that clearly wasn’t up to the job? Could it have made a difference for those under attack at the consulate if Woods had moved out as soon as he was, in one official’s words, “saddled and ready”?

Second, why didn’t the United States send armed drones or other air assistance to Benghazi immediately? This one is harder to answer. The CIA did dispatch a quick-reaction force that night from Tripoli, with about eight people, but it had trouble at first reaching the compound. One of its members, Glen Doherty, died along with Woods when a mortar hit the roof of the annex about 4 a.m.

What more could have been done? A Joint Special Operations Command team was moved that night to Sigonella air base in Sicily, for quick deployment to Benghazi or any of the other U.S. facilities in danger that night across North Africa. Armed drones could also have been sent. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta summarized last Thursday the administration’s decision to opt for caution: “You don’t deploy forces into harm’s way without knowing what’s going on.”

Looking back, it may indeed have been wise not to bomb targets in Libya that night. Given the uproar in the Arab world, this might have been the equivalent of pouring gasoline on a burning fire. But the anguish of Woods’s father is understandable: His son’s life might have been saved by a more aggressive response. The Obama administration needs to level with the country about why it made its decisions.

A final, obvious point: The “fog of battle” that night was dense not just in Benghazi but in Cairo, Tunis and elsewhere. U.S. officials needed better intelligence. That’s the toughest problem to address, but the most important.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/d...story.html

Comments section:

Quote:kdawgSW
3:39 PM EDT
When Americans were chasing Bin Laden through Afghanistan and into Tora Bora, the US forces gave control to Afghans to let then do the final capture or kill of Bin Laden. The strategy did not work. And, how many Americans have died in Afghanistan since then because of this military blunder and rarely does anyone question it? We've spent more time questioning this Benghazi incident far more than this previous event of far greater significance.

I believe that when all is said and done, we will find out it was the same mistake for both incidents: An inappropriate strategy given the circumstances at hand that could only be realized after the fact.

Also, no one is asking the obvious question: What is the survival value for a standing president to intentionally allow an ambassador to die in a terrorist attack in an election year? Answer: There isn't any. We can spend tax payer dollars to find out the truth, and we should, but the notion that we are going to find anything other than a strategic error is absurd, and jumping to conclusions is no help.
KeynesIsStillDead wrote:
4:08 PM EDTWe still don't know if Obama was eating Orville Redenbacher or Pop Secret while watching the video.

And another comment from your link...
Granny Bear Wrote:KeynesIsStillDead wrote:
4:08 PM EDTWe still don't know if Obama was eating Orville Redenbacher or Pop Secret while watching the video.

And another comment from your link...

Allow me to make a comment as well, what a total crock. Stick to your guns Granny, you've got it right.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Here is another clip of Mr. Woods, in which he explains his impressions from personal meetings with Obama, Biden, and Hillary Clinton. Yes, Glenn Beck is doing the interview but he barely speaks in the clip. Close your eyes and you will barely know that he is there. If Mr. Woods decides to take sides in the election, which he has not done, then watch the cockroaches who are lying for this administration scramble for their resumes!

[YOUTUBE="Charles Woods Thoughts on Obama, Biden, and Clinton"]a9tXekIVTsc[/YOUTUBE]

glenn beck :biglmao:
vector Wrote:glenn beck :biglmao:
vector :hilarious:
:thatsfunn:thatsfunn
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Vundy, is there any reason to believe that anybody in the Benghazi consulate would have survived if the Seals had not rushed to their aid? Do you think that the White House expected to lose everybody at the consulate when the order was given for the Seals to stand down? I think that the spontaneous mob violence triggered by a Youtube video might have stuck had there been no survivors.

Absolutely not. No way anyone would have survived had those CIA officers not defied orders. They were on M249 and/or M240 machine guns for over 4 hours...two weapons that are easily capable of putting out 800-1000 rounds per minute, and even they died before the night is over.

I really believe that hadn't those few guys did what they did, no one would've lived. I'm not being political or any of that crap...that's what I believe.
I have to say this though. We never send rounds at an enemy without knowing what is going on on the ground...

BUT, the guys on the ground were in constant communication with resources, not to mention the drones flying over which give a view of the ground so detailed that its hard to believe its real. We have sent aid in Afghan where the rules of engagement are nearly as right. Also, we had a tier one, which is Army Delta Force and SEAL Team Six who are the most skilled fighters on earth, in place that could've been inserted fairly easily. By ground or high altitude jump, they do it all the time.

It's just hard for me to believe we didn't send help because of a murky picture of what was happening. We've sent help to our people with MUCH less of an understanding of what's going on. Delta and DEVGRU are straight up killers and they hardly ever take any casualties, even against very well trained Al-Qaeda. In my opinion, they could have taken out the bad guys within 30 mins to an hour depending on ground conditions. But hell, we didn't even have to send them in! Remember me mentioning the CIA officers leading targets? They did that for aircraft, especially heavily armed and precise AC-130 Spectre gunships. They have 25mm rounds, a bigger cannon, and the a giant 105mm gun, all capable of taking out the targets on the ground that night.

All of this is why this just makes me sick. This same kind of hesitation has nearly killed and killed many of us, and why Marine SGT Dakota Meyer, a Kentuckian, was forced to do what he did to earn his Medal of Honor.

Don't leave people behind my ass....WE don't leave our people behind. Our government does.
Don't leave people behind my ass....WE don't leave our people behind. Our government does.

I think this deserves repeating...