Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 State Finals Recap
Total Attendance: 46,738

Class 1A: Mayfield 55, Fairview 8
Class 2A: Newport Central Catholic 30, Caldwell County 26
Class 3A: Lou. Central 12, Belfry 6 (O.T.)
Class 4A: Highlands 47, Collins 0
Class 5A: Bowling Green 34, Cooper 20
Class 6A: Lou. Trinity 61, Pleasure Ridge Park 7

2 awesome games, 1 pretty good game, 3 snoozers
what you guys think?
I think my trolling on people who hate first round games is accurate.
Not much of a surprise to me.

Trinity and Highlands were expected to get the running clocks.

Fairview's performance was disappointing, I thought they would give a better showing, but ...

BG was expected to win, but Cooper did much better than many expected.

Belfry/Central was expected to be a barn burner and no one but the Belfry fans were disappointed.

NCC/Caldwell could have gone either way and did.

Three "home" teams (Mayfield, Central and BG) won and three "visiting" teams (Highlands, NCC and Trinity) won.

Two private school won, three schools from independent school districts won. No "County" teams won.

Campbell County schools won two.

Two Jefferson County schools won.

Two teams from the Central Time Zone counties won.
If you had to pick a game of the weekend and a player of the weekend, who would it be?

I'm stuck between the 3A final and 2A final, both great games to watch. player of the week imo is jonathon jackson
toussaints Wrote:If you had to pick a game of the weekend and a player of the weekend, who would it be?

I'm stuck between the 3A final and 2A final, both great games to watch. player of the week imo is jonathon jackson

I'll second those pics.
As a Belfry fan, I was disappointed with the outcome. As a football fan, damn good game. Two stout defenses.

Where can I see the individual numbers for game attendance?
^ http://khsaa.org/football/2012/3a/xlive.htm lower right corner
Wise one Wrote:Not much of a surprise to me.

Trinity and Highlands were expected to get the running clocks.

Fairview's performance was disappointing, I thought they would give a better showing, but ...

BG was expected to win, but Cooper did much better than many expected.

Belfry/Central was expected to be a barn burner and no one but the Belfry fans were disappointed.

NCC/Caldwell could have gone either way and did.

Three "home" teams (Mayfield, Central and BG) won and three "visiting" teams (Highlands, NCC and Trinity) won.

Two private school won, three schools from independent school districts won. No "County" teams won.

Campbell County schools won two.

Two Jefferson County schools won.

Two teams from the Central Time Zone counties won.

I've gotten bashed for saying that Independent and Private schools usually fair a lot better than county schools, so I kept my mouth shut on that this past week, glad you showed that I was correct.
HHellBird Wrote:I've gotten bashed for saying that Independent and Private schools usually fair a lot better than county schools, so I kept my mouth shut on that this past week, glad you showed that I was correct.

I put that in for your benefit. I understand what you Were saying. Many many years (1975) I difd my student teaching at Madison Central in Richmond. They had students that rode the bus from south of Berea. That situation no longer exists, but it had to have been hard to get those boys from south of Berea to come out for spots of any type. However, today with more students having cars and more schools in many schools, it may be less of a problem.
Jackson was very impressive. The 3A was awesome. Was pulling for Belfry but that was a great catch.
3A 2a. Both dam good games... as for mvp and my vote for mr football... Jonathen Jackson
Can I vote. I would like to vote several thousand times for JJ from Mayfield.
toussaints Wrote:If you had to pick a game of the weekend and a player of the weekend, who would it be?

Without a doubt Jackson
outside of the 2 and 3A games the rest were not real interesting unless you were a fan of one of the teams. I stayed and watched all 6 games. Other than the obvious in the Mayfield game. I enjoyed the 2A game the most due to it having more scoring. 3A was easily the #3 for me. Had the Belfry qb pitched sooner on their last series in OT we might still be playing
The regions of the state went like this

West was 2-3, East was 0-2, North was 2-3 and Louisville was 2-4

Louisville or Jefferson County and Campbell County each had 2 champions making them the 2012 title towns or counties
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Without a doubt Jackson
outside of the 2 and 3A games the rest were not real interesting unless you were a fan of one of the teams. I stayed and watched all 6 games. Other than the obvious in the Mayfield game. I enjoyed the 2A game the most due to it having more scoring. 3A was easily the #3 for me. Had the Belfry qb pitched sooner on their last series in OT we might still be playing

Bingo. Hard to say one play; one decision by any one player, decided the outcome of any game, but if he pitched that ball a step or two sooner, I think the RB would have made it easily into the endzone.
JJ made his statement for Mr. Football in his performance against Fairview no doubt in this persons mind Jonathan Jackson is the best football player in the state regardless of class.
barnabus_c2001 Wrote:JJ made his statement for Mr. Football in his performance against Fairview no doubt in this persons mind Jonathan Jackson is the best football player in the state regardless of class.

Pretty much the same statement he has made all year at that
My thoughts in a nutshell?

The Rich Got Richer
If there was ever anyone that epitomized the name of Mr Football it is JONATHAN JACKSON #9 MHS. I don't think he will get it for 2 reasons, 1 is he is from a 1a school and 2 is he is from the west. I think it will be the biggest error ever made in Ky Football if they overlook him though. Only kid to ever start in 60 straight games for Mayfield. Holds all time tackling record, all time rushing record, all time scoring record for Mayfield. Played very hurt in his 2 state runner up games. Played almost 100% healthy in the two wins. Since he has been in Mayfield High School we have a record of 56-4. I think he even brushes his teeth with a football toothbrush. Need I say more.
You all seem to be forgetting about James Quick from Trinity. Jackson is a good ball player, but not even close to Quick. Heck, Trinity has a couple players that would have a better chance at Mr. Football. If Mayfield played Trinity's schedule, do you think he would still have all those stats?
Crossbones Wrote:You all seem to be forgetting about James Quick from Trinity. Jackson is a good ball player, but not even close to Quick. Heck, Trinity has a couple players that would have a better chance at Mr. Football. If Mayfield played Trinity's schedule, do you think he would still have all those stats?

The fact remains that JJ probably will not get Mr. Football, because of where he plays. There are a few players out there that had great years and careers. The choice is made by people who supposedly "know" football, but they will be influenced by the hype of the various schools and scouting folks.

From which colleges does JJ have offers?
How often is JJ mentioned by the newsmedia in the big KY cities?

From which colleges does Quick have offers?
How often is Quick mentioned by the newsmedia in the big KY cities?

From which colleges does (name you favorite candidate) have offers?
How often is (name you favorite candidate) mentioned by the newsmedia in the big KY cities?

That is how it will be decided. Not on a discussion board.
Wise one Wrote:The fact remains that JJ probably will not get Mr. Football, because of where he plays. There are a few players out there that had great years and careers. The choice is made by people who supposedly "know" football, but they will be influenced by the hype of the various schools and scouting folks.

From which colleges does JJ have offers?
How often is JJ mentioned by the newsmedia in the big KY cities?

From which colleges does Quick have offers?
How often is Quick mentioned by the newsmedia in the big KY cities?

From which colleges does (name you favorite candidate) have offers?
How often is (name you favorite candidate) mentioned by the newsmedia in the big KY cities?

That is how it will be decided. Not on a discussion board.

All of that really means nothing to me. All of the Mayfield faithful are pulling for him on this board to win Mr. Football. As fans of their team that is fine and dandy. My point was that there are a lot of great players in the state. JJ, will not win Mr. Football no matter how much they get on here an poll for him. He is a great football player, no doubt. But there are several better.
Crossbones Wrote:All of that really means nothing to me. All of the Mayfield faithful are pulling for him on this board to win Mr. Football. As fans of their team that is fine and dandy. My point was that there are a lot of great players in the state. JJ, will not win Mr. Football no matter how much they get on here an poll for him. He is a great football player, no doubt. But there are several better.

I think you are probably correct. Although Jackson had a very, very impressive state game. Kid can flat out play.

However, I think those voting for Mr. Football (AP writers, correct?) realize that if Jackson played for a team like, say Trinity, he'd be a one way starter and probably would be an inside or outside LBer. Actually he reminded me a lot of one of Trinity's inside Lbers (Bertram, who had an outstanding game, as did Bobby Bryant and Jabari Jordan. As good as Trinity's D was this year, it would have been illegal to have Jackson playing alongside of Bertram). No disrespect at all towards Jackson because the kid is a player, but at other programs he is more of a role player. Heck I wonder if you took Bertram off of Trinity's team and put him on Mayfield's team, using him the same way Mayfield used Jackson, whether it would be Bertram's name being floated as a possible Mr. Football. I obviously never saw Bertram carry the ball, but the way he moved on the field, he looked liked he'd have been one heck of a RB too in a Mayfield type offense. No doubt the kid can play LBer. Bertram was the best LBer I saw play in the state games.

If Mr. Football goes to the most important player to a very good team, then Jackson wins it. If it goes to the best football player period, then probably not in my opinion. Right, wrong or otherwise, Jackson playing for a 1A team probably does hurt him. When you look at Mayfield's schedule and see who Mayfield played against, the one game that really sticks out, competition wise, is Warren Central. In that game (a 42-28 Mayfield loss) Jackson had a okay game rushing (83 yards) but...... If Jackson had racked up 150 plus yards, even in a losing effort, perhaps the voters could have felt comfortable that Jackson's gaudy stats weren't just due to the fact that most of his games were against lower level competition. But he didn't. Again, right, wrong or otherwise, I think the voters are going to feel that if he had played against tougher competition at a bigger school, his accomplishments might not have been so gaudy (and yes I fully realize that if Jackson had played for a Trinity type team he would have been surrounded by better players making it easier for him to do extremely well against tougher competition). I just think the voters will look at Quick, his accomplishments, his D-1 offers, the fact that Trinity struggled somewhat without him and demolished PRP when he came back and conclude that he was the difference maker unless an anti-Trinity/anti Jefferson County bias kicks in.
100% correct IMO.
Charlie

Jackson did not play in the second half of the WC game. He had a infection and the medicine was causing cramps and sickness. The other stud lb for Mayfield broke a bone in his hand and also exited yet we were within a td with 3 minutes to go. Oh and we were ahead at the half while Jackson was playing.

As far as Jackson and Mr KY Football, I realize that it s Quick's to lose. He plays on the best KY team in the biggest city and he is the better college prospect. Jackson easily means more to his team and is ask to do more. I see nothing wrong with supporting him on sites like this and who knows it might even help some after the showing he made in front of the state in the title game. The more talk the better. I think he should be named a finalist atleast. I have watched Bertram play 3 times he is good but so is Jackson
If someone had suggested to me that we should take Bertram or any other player and let Jonathan Jackson go, I believe I would take them out behind the woodshed. That is the craziest statement made. Why is it made, maybe because you either hate Mayfield or because you think just because Trinity can recruit from all of Ky and Oh that they must have the best players. I happen to know that there was mention a year or so ago that they also wanted him. Mr Football says it all, it means the best football player. It does not mean the best football player on the biggest private school in Ky. It means the best player in Ky. That without a doubt, not even a question is JONATHAN JACKSON if you don't like what we have to say, take a Tylenol PM and go back to sleep until you have something worth saying.
charlie22 Wrote:I think you are probably correct. Although Jackson had a very, very impressive state game. Kid can flat out play.

However, I think those voting for Mr. Football (AP writers, correct?) realize that if Jackson played for a team like, say Trinity, he'd be a one way starter and probably would be an inside or outside LBer. Actually he reminded me a lot of one of Trinity's inside Lbers (Bertram, who had an outstanding game, as did Bobby Bryant and Jabari Jordan. As good as Trinity's D was this year, it would have been illegal to have Jackson playing alongside of Bertram). No disrespect at all towards Jackson because the kid is a player, but at other programs he is more of a role player. Heck I wonder if you took Bertram off of Trinity's team and put him on Mayfield's team, using him the same way Mayfield used Jackson, whether it would be Bertram's name being floated as a possible Mr. Football. I obviously never saw Bertram carry the ball, but the way he moved on the field, he looked liked he'd have been one heck of a RB too in a Mayfield type offense. No doubt the kid can play LBer. Bertram was the best LBer I saw play in the state games.

If Mr. Football goes to the most important player to a very good team, then Jackson wins it. If it goes to the best football player period, then probably not in my opinion. Right, wrong or otherwise, Jackson playing for a 1A team probably does hurt him. When you look at Mayfield's schedule and see who Mayfield played against, the one game that really sticks out, competition wise, is Warren Central. In that game (a 42-28 Mayfield loss) Jackson had a okay game rushing (83 yards) but...... If Jackson had racked up 150 plus yards, even in a losing effort, perhaps the voters could have felt comfortable that Jackson's gaudy stats weren't just due to the fact that most of his games were against lower level competition. But he didn't. Again, right, wrong or otherwise, I think the voters are going to feel that if he had played against tougher competition at a bigger school, his accomplishments might not have been so gaudy (and yes I fully realize that if Jackson had played for a Trinity type team he would have been surrounded by better players making it easier for him to do extremely well against tougher competition). I just think the voters will look at Quick, his accomplishments, his D-1 offers, the fact that Trinity struggled somewhat without him and demolished PRP when he came back and conclude that he was the difference maker unless an anti-Trinity/anti Jefferson County bias kicks in.

Jackson had 80 yards rushing averaging 8 yards a carry and had 8 tackles at half against WC before cramps kept him from contributing in the second half. In a game Mayfield was winning at half. So Jackson could have conceivably. Had 150 yards and 12 to 16 tackles if he had played both halfs against WC
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Charlie

Jackson did not play in the second half of the WC game. He had a infection and the medicine was causing cramps and sickness. The other stud lb for Mayfield broke a bone in his hand and also exited yet we were within a td with 3 minutes to go. Oh and we were ahead at the half while Jackson was playing.

As far as Jackson and Mr KY Football, I realize that it s Quick's to lose. He plays on the best KY team in the biggest city and he is the better college prospect. Jackson easily means more to his team and is ask to do more. I see nothing wrong with supporting him on sites like this and who knows it might even help some after the showing he made in front of the state in the title game. The more talk the better. I think he should be named a finalist atleast. I have watched Bertram play 3 times he is good but so is Jackson

Impressive that he did that in one half and I obviously didn't know that. If Jackson has a real chance of being Mr. Football, he better hope the voters know it. I've got no problem with the Mayfield folks supporting him. Heck, I think McCoy for Highlands should be considered for Mr. Football.
mysonis55 Wrote:If someone had suggested to me that we should take Bertram or any other player and let Jonathan Jackson go, I believe I would take them out behind the woodshed. That is the craziest statement made. Why is it made, maybe because you either hate Mayfield or because you think just because Trinity can recruit from all of Ky and Oh that they must have the best players. I happen to know that there was mention a year or so ago that they also wanted him. Mr Football says it all, it means the best football player. It does not mean the best football player on the biggest private school in Ky. It means the best player in Ky. That without a doubt, not even a question is JONATHAN JACKSON if you don't like what we have to say, take a Tylenol PM and go back to sleep until you have something worth saying.

You seriously have problems with people that disagree with you. No I'm not a Mayfield hater and no I'm not a fan of Trinity. Actually, I've got no problem with Mayfield at all. Why would I? I'm a friend of Lonnie's. I expressed my opinion in a very civil and polite manner. You don't have to disagree with it, but when you respond in the manner that you did, you reflect very poorly on Mayfield. If that is your desire, so be it. And once again, I said Jackson is very, very good and had an outstanding state game. No debate about that at all.
mysonis55 Wrote:If someone had suggested to me that we should take Bertram or any other player and let Jonathan Jackson go, I believe I would take them out behind the woodshed. That is the craziest statement made. Why is it made, maybe because you either hate Mayfield or because you think just because Trinity can recruit from all of Ky and Oh that they must have the best players. I happen to know that there was mention a year or so ago that they also wanted him. Mr Football says it all, it means the best football player. It does not mean the best football player on the biggest private school in Ky. It means the best player in Ky. That without a doubt, not even a question is JONATHAN JACKSON if you don't like what we have to say, take a Tylenol PM and go back to sleep until you have something worth saying.

:lame: You need to get out of the western tip of the state. Football is played all over the state.