Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gary Henderson signs Contract extension
After leading UK baseball to a school record 45 wins, Gary Henderson has a new five-year contract worth 2.1 million over 5 years.

"I want to begin by thanking Mitch, Dr. Capilouto and Marc Hill for their overall commitment to our baseball program and for helping us establish Kentucky baseball as one of the nation's elite," says Henderson. "We have had some exciting moments during my nine years at UK and we still have a lot of things that we want to accomplish."

"I also want to thank our players and their families. They all bought in. We have a group of kids that have tremendous pride in the program, they like each other and they like to play. The complete and total absence of selfishness that our club demonstrated this past season will be vitally important to maintain as we move forward. We have great kids with supportive families and it is my responsibility, along with my staff, to make sure they clearly understand Kentucky baseball will not be sneaking up on anybody in 2013."

Keeping your staff together is huge. UK baseball assistant coaches Brad Bohannon and Brian Green also been new contracts. Bohannon serves as UK's recruiting coordinator and Green functions as the offensive coordinator and hitting coach.

"It was very important to me that we were able to keep Brad Bohannon, Brian Green and Keith Vorhoff on my staff," says Henderson. "My three assistants have tremendous passion, energy, intelligence and work ethic. The continuity of our staff has been a program strength and I appreciate Mitch's efforts to help with that continuity."

Henderson was the SEC Coach of the year. That included the best finishes ever for UK in the SEC and NCAA Tournaments.

"I want to thank the Big Blue Nation," Henderson said. "Our fans came out and supported us in a big way this spring. We are going to do everything possible to give them another exciting, winning team to make it easy for them to continue coming out to the ballpark."

UK was also ranked No. 1 for three weeks during the season, After the season, UK had a school-record nine players selected in the 2012 MLB Draft, the second most in the nation and the most in the SEC, and the 2013 roster has sent an NCAA-leading eight players to the prestigious Cape Cod League.
Very well deserved after doing what he done last year
Hopefully he will build on it and get us another top level program
Glad to see him stay. I think he will be very good for UK baseball.
Not totally sold on him. Last year did well start of the year then flamed out. hope they keep the program moving forward