Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Race in Football
Now, before I start this thread, let it be known that this isn't to discriminate any race whatsoever, and if anyone does so, they will be subject to an infraction, and if its to big of a deal, ill just close the thread.

Now to the question. Me and one of my closer friends who i grew up with, which is black, was talking about race in football.
We pretty much thought about positions and race. I was pretty surprised when i realized exactly what we had sort of uncovered, however im sure all of you have had the same type of light bulb moment as we did at some point or another.

Look at the positions in football at the divsion one college level and the NFl.

QB's-mostly white
RB's-mostly black
Fb's-mostly white
WR's-mostly black
TE's-mostly white
Olineman-mostly white
Dlineman-mostly black
lb's-mix, probably leaning black
defensive secondary-mostly black
punters-mostly white
kickers-mostly white

We thought this was pretty interesting and im sure most of you have realized this at some point.
We were trying to think of the reasons why positions are often subject to one race.
Take kickers for example. How many black kickers do you know? Does that mean white guys kick better? I doubt it.
What about QB's? Can white guys throw better the majority of the time? I doubt it.
What about RB's? Are blacks just simply faster?

Just a funny little thought i thought id share.
Anyone else noticed this much?
Yep I've noticed this as well Gut
I'm going to get ripped for this one, but I can't ignore what I see

Blacks are typically faster, whites are typically smarter. lineman are big, strong guys. offensive lineman need to be smarter, defensive lineman need to be faster. as far as kickers, they're typically white because black kids don't want to kick the ball, they want to run with it. same can be said about QB. it's not always true, but that's what happens the majority of the time.

for the record (even though it doesn't matter) I'm biracial (black, white)
toussaints Wrote:I'm going to get ripped for this one, but I can't ignore what I see

Blacks are typically faster, whites are typically smarter. lineman are big, strong guys. offensive lineman need to be smarter, defensive lineman need to be faster. as far as kickers, they're typically white because black kids don't want to kick the ball, they want to run with it. same can be said about QB. it's not always true, but that's what happens the majority of the time.

Well said, I see nothing wrong with your view.:Thumbs:
What about expectations of kids as they grow up? Does that have anything to do with what they become? Black kids expected to run fast, big white guys expected to be strong, and then you have the freaks that play d-line and linebacker (nothing explains these guys because they are not human). The best of the best usually end up as QB's, or guys who are natural born leaders. Some can say that white kids are raised to lead where black kids are raised to be individuals (movie quote), but we see that breaks the mold in some cases.
I was thinking perecption, but expectation is a good way to put it too. I remember going to scout a team we were going to play and before the game and another team was there watching. I over heard one of the coaches say "keep an eye on the black kid, he looks like a playmaker" The black kid was running routes on the scout team and never played in the game. after the game, he was wondering why the black kid didn't play, even though the team won by 2 tds. ive seen this with basketball too

now im sure the majority of his time coaching, the "black kids" were usually pretty good players. our eyes are trained to see an athletic looking black kid and say "playmaker". it's not racist, it's not wrong
toussaints Wrote:I'm going to get ripped for this one, but I can't ignore what I see

Can't get ripped for the truth bro. What you said is a spot on analysis.

nothing wrong with the truth, you answered this as good as anyone could:Thumbs:

Spot on.
This is my feelings as well. I wanted to see others answer before i gave my response however this nailed it.
The simple facts are, black kids are faster. I dont know why, i dont know how.

I do think genetics play a lot into it. Humans adapt the same way animals do. Now, before i go all darwin on everyone, its easy to see the differences among every race. Theres a reason some are shorter, some are taller, some are darker skin, some are lighter skin.
It just so happens we get to see everyone play sports against one another now.
If you look at other sports, bball is predominently a black sport. Baseball is usually a white sport, with some mixture, but still mostly white. Soccer is handled by the spaniards, and so on and so forth.I dont know to many hockey players that arent white.

The point, and more or less answer i was trying to get out of this was if anyone else had noticed. I think it shows how diverse we really are.
A couple of years ago I read somthing about this and some experts made mention that it is not suprising because a black persons chances of being faster are due to some sort of jean that is more likely. Also a black persons body frame has more potential. Whites also have some advantages in some areas, ect
The histroy of the 100 meter sprint will shine some light on this subject. The 10 second barrier has only been broken by one white European (Christophe Lemaitre). One has to go back to the 1980 Olympic games to find the last white 100m gold medal winner, who was one Allen Wells of Scotland. We all know that the USA boycotted the 1980 Olympics. In 1972 Russian sprinter Valeri Borzov won the 100m and 200m sprints, even to this day his Technique is still considered the best ever. <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LtmTQvyzs0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Spot on.
This is my feelings as well. I wanted to see others answer before i gave my response however this nailed it.
The simple facts are, black kids are faster. I dont know why, i dont know how.

I do think genetics play a lot into it. Humans adapt the same way animals do. Now, before i go all darwin on everyone, its easy to see the differences among every race. Theres a reason some are shorter, some are taller, some are darker skin, some are lighter skin.
It just so happens we get to see everyone play sports against one another now.
If you look at other sports, bball is predominently a black sport. Baseball is usually a white sport, with some mixture, but still mostly white. Soccer is handled by the spaniards, and so on and so forth.I dont know to many hockey players that arent white.

The point, and more or less answer i was trying to get out of this was if anyone else had noticed. I think it shows how diverse we really are.

Hats off to you Gut...and thanks to Tous for your insights.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
with proper coaching, you can have a green man playing RB or an orange fellow at the punter. Race has nothing to do with how good a player can be. It's all about how they were raised and trained throughout life.
^
You cant teach speed.

"Thats god given son"