Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lance Armstrong's doping admission: Questions Oprah should have asked
So here are some of the questions we hope Oprah asked Lance: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/questions-o...49439.html

1. Why now, Lance? Is it because in one potential perjury case the statute of limitations has passed? Is it because you've already lost almost all your sponsors, had to step back from your foundation and are no longer getting the attention you once earned?
Did you have to lose nearly everything until you sought the only possible out? And at this point, why are you worth listening to at all?

2. Why are you doing this with me, Oprah Winfrey? I'm not known for my cycling knowledge or for pointed follow-up questions or my investigative journalistic skills. In fact, it's the opposite.
Wouldn't sitting down with Scott Pelley at "60 Minutes" have been a more legitimate forum? How about the Sunday Times of London, which you sued for libel for printing the truth? Or any of the French or American media that you bashed all along when in fact they weren't wrong at all?
You always fashioned yourself as a tough guy, Lance. You beat cancer for crying out loud, why go soft now?

3. Let's talk Betsy Andreu, the wife of one your former teammates, Frankie. Both Andreus testified under oath that they were in a hospital room in 1996 when you admitted to a doctor to using EPO, HGH and steroids. You responded by calling them "vindictive, bitter, vengeful and jealous." And that's the stuff we can say on TV.

Would you now label them as "honest?"
And what would you say directly to Betsy, who dealt with a voicemail from one of your henchmen that included, she's testified, this:
"I hope somebody breaks a baseball bat over your head. I also hope that one day you have adversity in your life and you have some type of tragedy that will … definitely make an impact on you."
When you heard about that voicemail, why didn't you call Betsy and apologize then?

4. By the way, did you take performance-enhancing drugs prior to your diagnosis of testicular cancer, as Betsy Andreu, who I now have every single reason to believe, says you admitted to doing? Do you think it played a role in your diagnosis?
And while the reason you contracted cancer does nothing to diminish the intensity of your battle, or the great example of strength it provided, don't you think it would've been an essential part of your public campaign against the disease to mention that you used performance-enhancing drugs?

5. Just to get it on the record, because the way things are going I'm pretty sure this will come out at a later date, did you or your minions ever pressure federal authorities to stall out investigations into your doping?
Now, you wouldn't lie to me, right Lance?

6. What do you say to Emma O'Reilly, who was a young Dublin native when she was first hired by the U.S. Postal team to give massages to the riders after races?

In the early 2000s, she told stories of rampant doping and how she was used to transport the drugs across international borders. In the USADA report, she testified that you tried to "make my life hell."

Her story was true, Lance, wasn't it? And you knew it was true. Yet despite knowing it was true, you, a famous multimillionaire superstar, used high-priced lawyers to sue this simple woman for more money than she was worth in England, where slander laws favor the famous. She had no chance to fight it.

She testified that you tried to ruin her by spreading word that she was a prostitute with a heavy drinking problem.

"The traumatizing part," she once told the New York Times, "was dealing with telling the truth."

Do you want to apologize to her? Not in general. I mean directly and by name. I mean, Lance, of all the people to attack like that, of all the people you had power and wealth over, you had to go after her? How Lance, could you do this to someone, and why would anyone want to believe again in someone capable of doing this to someone?

7. In 2011, former teammate Tyler Hamilton spoke about you and doping on "60 Minutes." He later said you two ran into each other in a Colorado restaurant where he says you tried to intimidate him, saying, "I'm going to make your life a living hell both in the courtroom and out of the courtroom."
Yet you knew he was telling the truth, right Lance? So why threaten him?

8. Greg LeMond, a three-time Tour de France champion, once raised the following hypothetical question: "If Lance's story is true, it's the greatest comeback in the history of sport. If it's not, it's the greatest fraud."

The allegation is that you heard that and decided to use your influence with Trek bikes to drop its association with LeMond's brand. The company even went to court to end a long-term contract. "Greg's public comments hurt the LeMond brand and the Trek brand," a company official said at the time.
What comment? Wondering about something that was true?

The move cost LeMond millions. Did you try to ruin him financially simply for spite?
I don't have access to the channel this will air on but I wish I did...

He has turned out to be complete scum.
^ Hmm, he generated over $400M that went directly to research for Cancer, providing medicine for those who could not afford it, and transportation to facilities that could not have been accomplished otherwise.

His lying had a greater cause that has not been matched by anyone else! He doped, and he won 7 Tour De'France titles. I could care less about his accomplishments, but through his corrupt ways, he bettered 100's of thousands of lives that would NOT have benefited had he not lied to everyone about it!

So scum? I'm just not so sure that I characterize it as that! His actions to protect his name are deplorable. The result of him taking such deplorable measures generated more money than anyone else in history for the cure of most deplorable means of death!
When i first saw this, i thought the same thing i always did.....i dont give a crap.
However, you got to feel for the people whos lives he pretty much ruined.

When it comes to doping, i could care less. I would guess that almost ever cyclist has used something at some point.
Stardust Wrote:^ Hmm, he generated over $400M that went directly to research for Cancer, providing medicine for those who could not afford it, and transportation to facilities that could not have been accomplished otherwise.

His lying had a greater cause that has not been matched by anyone else! He doped, and he won 7 Tour De'France titles. I could care less about his accomplishments, but through his corrupt ways, he bettered 100's of thousands of lives that would NOT have benefited had he not lied to everyone about it!

So scum? I'm just not so sure that I characterize it as that! His actions to protect his name are deplorable. The result of him taking such deplorable measures generated more money than anyone else in history for the cure of most deplorable means of death!

Although true, but the fact that he not only threatened his teammates and former friends, he made threats to and against their wives and girlfriends. To me that makes him scum.

You can say he raised all of this money through Livestrong, but how much of that was him and how much of that was those he put in charge of the organization?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:When i first saw this, i thought the same thing i always did.....i dont give a crap.

When it comes to doping, i could care less. I would guess that almost ever cyclist has used something at some point.

This is true....apparently in stripping him of his Tour de France wins, when going down the line to award them to the next finisher of each race, they had to go 4-5 deep due to people having tested positive for doping.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:When i first saw this, i thought the same thing i always did.....i dont give a crap.

In his last Tour De' France win, Armstrong was stripped of the title. They went through all 1,200 entrants, and they could not find a single cyclist who had not been tested positive, or under investigation, thus they could not pass the title to anyone. Revised race results indicate no contestants. That tells you that everyone in cycling was doping.