Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outraged
I read the article below and couldn't believe what I saw. I am outraged at how offensive that logo is.

Seriously, don't these people have anything better to do than pick apart a darn logo?

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/f...nance.html

"Late last week, Enterprise Florida, an organization promoting Florida's job growth, held a press conference to unveil its slogan: "FLORIDA: The Perfect Climate For Business." Florida Gov. Rick Scott posed for pictures with board members from the publicly funded group, holding a sign with the logo of the state's "first-ever business brand."

Now that logo, which features a necktie in place of the "I" in "FLORIDA," has come under fire by critics who say it's sexist.

“Your tie logo is offensive," one commenter wrote on Enterprise Florida's Facebook page. "What, business is men only?”

“Not very female friendly at all," another wrote. "With so many new women business owners impacting our economy ... you should consider ditching the tie."

Florida is home to more than 587,000 female-owned businesses, ranking it No. 4 in the country, according to a 2012 study. (California, with more than 1 million, ranked first.)"
Am I missing something or can women not wear neck-ties?

Seems sexist to think that they cannot do so.
This silly issue symbolizes the depth to which this country has fallen because of political correctness run rampant. Apparently, the only groups who are fair game are white males and traditional Christians. Khrushchev said this country would destroy itself from within. He will likely be proven correct. Do you suppose he had a vision of Obama?
If I may, I would like to offer an opinion from a female perspective. I've fought for equal rights as long as I can remember. To be perfectly candid, going to the front line in a war situation was never the first thing that occurred to me; mostly what I thought and spoke out for was equal pay for equal work.

That being said, this logo is a non-issue for me. I actually find it sickening that folks can become "outraged" over a logo on a sign while being perfectly fine with 4 military men thrown to the wolves in Benghazi.

America's priorities are being flipped; I don't like it either.

Just my opinion.
Wide, Panther, Harry and Granny you are making way too much sense....you're doing it wrong! Wink
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Should have put a skirt as the I .
Or a thong? :biggrin:Confusednicker:

sorry, couldn't resist.
Our PC society will be the death of the american experiment.
"Well, it come down to either a tie or a penis. Would you have rather it been a penis? Shut up then."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We could have put a nipple in the spot of the "O" in Florida to even it out...
^^
YOU wish!!!
Confusednicker:

TidesHoss32 Wrote:"Well, it come down to either a tie or a penis. Would you have rather it been a penis? Shut up then."

Hmmmmmm......still pondering this question.
Confusednicker:
TidesHoss32 Wrote:"Well, it come down to either a tie or a penis. Would you have rather it been a penis? Shut up then."

Granny Bear Wrote:Hmmmmmm......still pondering this question.
Confusednicker:

Depends on what your definition of whizz, is. Confusedinglepar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I do not see the word "whizz" in either quote...confused....

You thinking like Bill Clinton, TRT???
:yikes:
Granny Bear Wrote:I do not see the word "whizz" in either quote...confused....

You thinking like Bill Clinton, TRT???
:yikes:

Okay, that was a little thin, LOL.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sorry, I couldn't resist either!!
Wink
Granny Bear Wrote:If I may, I would like to offer an opinion from a female perspective. I've fought for equal rights as long as I can remember. To be perfectly candid, going to the front line in a war situation was never the first thing that occurred to me; mostly what I thought and spoke out for was equal pay for equal work.

That being said, this logo is a non-issue for me. I actually find it sickening that folks can become "outraged" over a logo on a sign while being perfectly fine with 4 military men thrown to the wolves in Benghazi.

Just my opinion.

I am usually in agreement with Granny Bear. However, I do want to shed light on one of her statements- "equal pay for equal work". In the eyes of The government and liberals, what does that term mean?

It doesn't mean "equal pay for the same work" as many seem to think. That concept is already a part of our labor law. "Equal work" does not mean the "same work". the government decides what jobs are equal and applies the "equality". For example, in one instance, the government determined that a librarian (female) and a carpenter (male) were "equal jobs" and were entitled to "equal pay".

"Equal job " is an elusive term that is defined by the government. Therein lies the danger and the deception.

Surely, no one opposes "equal pay" for the same job. Having the government define "equal jobs" is another matter.
Granny Bear Wrote:If I may, I would like to offer an opinion from a female perspective. I've fought for equal rights as long as I can remember. To be perfectly candid, going to the front line in a war situation was never the first thing that occurred to me; mostly what I thought and spoke out for was equal pay for equal work.

Just my opinion.

I am usually in agreement with Granny Bear. However, I do want to shed light on one of her statements- "equal pay for equal work". In the eyes of the government and liberals, what does that term mean?

It doesn't mean "equal pay for the same work" as many seem to think. That concept is already a part of our labor law. "Equal work" does not mean the "same work". The government decides what jobs are equal and applies the "equality". For example, in one instance, the government determined that a librarian (female) and a carpenter (male) were "equal jobs" and were entitled to "equal pay". The "equality" was obviously governmentally decreed without any semblance of reality.

"Equal job " is an elusive term that is defined by the government. Therein lies the danger and the deception.

Surely, no one opposes "equal pay" for the same job. Having the government define "equal jobs" and making demands is another matter.
This was so important to you that you had to post twice!!??
Wink

Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I am usually in agreement with Granny Bear. However, I do want to shed light on one of her statements- "equal pay for equal work". In the eyes of the government and liberals, what does that term mean?

I honestly don't give a damn what the term means in the eyes of the liberals...I'm just so tired of that.

It doesn't mean "equal pay for the same work" as many seem to think. That concept is already a part of our labor law.

It may be a part of our labor law, but it isn't effective, IMO.

"Equal work" does not mean the "same work". The government decides what jobs are equal and applies the "equality". For example, in one instance, the government determined that a librarian (female) and a carpenter (male) were "equal jobs" and were entitled to "equal pay". The "equality" was obviously governmentally decreed without any semblance of reality.

Total BS...again just my opinion.

Agree with this statement.

Surely, no one opposes "equal pay" for the same job. Having the government define "equal jobs" and making demands is another matter.

This first statement is very very unlike you, Harry Rex......naive.
Agree with your last statement.

Please don't be offended. I've followed your posts for years, and agree with the overwelming majority! I will freely admit that my perspective comes from a woman working in a predominately male industry.
We all know men should be paid atleast double what women are. :biggrin:
Bazinga!!
;P
With all due respect, I would like for someone to give me an example of where a male and a female, side by side, perform absolutely the same job with the same experience, seniority, and expertise and the male is paid more than the female. If that really occurs, the female has a claim against her employer.
I could site a few; some of them personal.

I just erased a couple of paragraphs detailing one of them. It just isn't worth it.
Granny Bear Wrote:I could site a few; some of them personal.

I just erased a couple of paragraphs detailing one of them. It just isn't worth it.

Because the only response you would have got was.... well maybe the guy was just better at his job.

It happens both ways I'm sure. One more than the other.
In all honesty, shouldn't it be the owners choice as to what he pays each employee?
Discrimination aside, I fully believe an owner should be able to pay someone 50 an hour if he wants to and pay the other guy 7 dollars an hour while doing the same job, if its a private company...
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Because the only response you would have got was.... well maybe the guy was just better at his job.
It happens both ways I'm sure. One more than the other.

I resent that statement. You've no idea what my "only response" is/was/could be.
That statement is ignorant and arrogant Wildcatk23.
Granny Bear Wrote:I could site a few; some of them personal.

That is your choice. However, I still have no examples. For all employers subject to state and federal labor laws, inequitable pay for truly the same job are not legal. Keep in mind, I am not talking about comparable jobs or similar jobs or almost equal jobs or almost equal credentials. I am talking about the exact same jobs.

Those who whine about inequality of pay are trying to mislead people into believing that they are talking about the same job. They are not. Of course, no one ever accused the general public of being too smart to be fooled by doubletalk.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:With all due respect, I would like for someone to give me an example of where a male and a female, side by side, perform absolutely the same job with the same experience, seniority, and expertise and the male is paid more than the female. If that really occurs, the female has a claim against her employer.
My wife is a supervisor, with more time, and experience, and get's paid 4k less a year than a male with the same position with the state, in the same job and building. They claim it is because of the time that he hired in, which was after my wife. The state has standardized pay for the same positions, supposedly, btw.
TheRealVille Wrote:My wife is a supervisor, with more time, and experience, and get's paid 4k less a year than a male with the same position with the state, in the same job and building. They claim it is because of the time that he hired in, which was after my wife. The state has standardized pay for the same positions, supposedly, btw.

I find it hard to believe that he receives more pay because he has worked the job for a shorter time. Could it be that he had experience from a previous position? I believe there must be more to the story.
If what you say is the entire story, TheRealVille, your wife would seem to have a claim for employment discrimination. Particularly since this is a state job, it doesn't jive with the law of today.
Memo Luna Wrote:I find it hard to believe that he receives more pay because he has worked the job for a shorter time. Could it be that he had experience from a previous position? I believe there must be more to the story.
Nope. She had more education, more time, and even trained him for his job. The only "rest of the story" that I didn't know until just now when asking her about it, is that he resigned and went back to being a worker as of late. So she really don't have a case any more. For the record, she is a 14 year supervisor for social services for the state. They claimed his hire in date for supervisor made the difference.