Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coal: Cleanest energy source?
Researchers have discovered a stunning new process that takes the energy from coal without burning it -- and removes virtually all of the pollution.

The clean coal technique was developed by scientists at The Ohio State University, with just $5 million in funding from the federal government, and took 15 years to achieve.

"We've been working on this for more than a decade," Liang-Shih Fan, a chemical engineer and director of OSU's Clean Coal Research Laboratory, told FoxNews.com, calling it a new energy conversion process. "We found a way to release the heat from coal without burning."

The process removes 99 percent of the pollution from coal, which some scientists link to global warming. Coal-burning power plants produced about one-third of the nation's carbon dioxide total in 2010, or about 2.3 billion metric tons, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/02/2...-there-is/
Is this good news?
Budget of 5 million? That's remarkable.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Budget of 5 million? That's remarkable.

LOL, I guarantee you this has environmentalists tore all to pieces. But, this is an example of how true science really functions and the enormous benefit man realizes by living somewhere other than la-la land. We will not have the technology to put fossil fuels in our rear view for a long time, if ever. For our society to continue to exist, we're gonna have to have abundant fuel sources. Given that fact, and given that there are "enough coal reserves to power our economy for the next century and beyond." http://www.coalcandothat.com/content.php?view=403

Why do we continually bow to the people from the green crowd? More than once, they've been caught falsefying evidence and data in order to foist their mother earth religious agenda on the rest of us. In fact, there are many in the scientific community in open rebellion to the president and his views about global warming being viable in the real world. • "More than 31,000 scientists in the United States have signed a petition urging the U.S. government to reject the kinds of AGW policies proposed by the UN IPCC and environmental extremists. The Petition Project was organized by Dr. Arthur Robinson of the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine and Dr. Frederick Seitz, physicist, professor, past president of Rockefeller University, and past president of the National Academy of Sciences." Here's the whole article, it is well worth taking the time to read --- http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/politic...ate-change

Bottom line. Liberal ideologues are finally getting the chance to feel important with all this sky-is-falling talk about global warming. So, they are not about to give up their new found fame and fortune willingly. What makes this problem so hard to deal with is the fact that these climate change extremist nut balls, have managed to get themselves appointed to various positions in our federal government by gullible legislators ala Al Gore. Some of these posts carry great power such as positions with the nearly omnipotent EPA. Now, we've got a fight on our hands, and we will have to get down and dirty (pun intended) to get rid of these bozos.

I don't think there is any question that real science, such as that you have cited above, will in fact continue to make advancements in the consumption of fossil fuels via clean energy innovations. These innovations would then be sellable technologies to all the G-Summit nation participants which, would wind up doing far more to help clean up the environment and give our economy a substantial get-along, than any offering of green energy technology, for the foreseeable future. Such is often the case when one is dealing with real science and American industry versus wide eyed liberal dreamers who could be much better served at a local psycho-ward.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Can you imagine what they could have done with the kind of money normally handed for "entitlements"?? Five million dollars......wow!!! Wouldn't last two hours in the PA world.
Granny Bear Wrote:Can you imagine what they could have done with the kind of money normally handed for "entitlements"?? Five million dollars......wow!!! Wouldn't last two hours in the PA world.

Good point Granny Bear! Now just how long would that last? Hmm. My head hurts from all the I have done recently for work, but we will take an article below from a LIBERAL source, and do some math below that to try to figure it out.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/economyw...-1B8329858

"People who receive food assistance -- now known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP -- got a raise starting in April 2009 as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. The increase in benefits, which amounted to about $80 more a month for a family of four, was part of a massive effort to help mitigate the worst effects of the Great Recession."

$80 x 12 months x 47 million...

Not wasting my time on it.
The best part of all of this is the recent news that solar panels produce billions of pounds of toxic waste every year.

Coal is, was, and always will be the most efficient and cleanest way to produce energy.
Love coal...how's my utility bill going to get any less expensive :Thumbs:?

I'll be happy to dance a jig in Cincy Fountain square naked once quarterly for a 50% discount....I'll tolerate the cold weather nicknames while Mrs. Spirit and I enjoy the savings annually during a 4 day weekend in the Virgin Isles Confusednicker:!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
My electric bill had been 600$+ for 4u months.
Granny Bear Wrote:Can you imagine what they could have done with the kind of money normally handed for "entitlements"?? Five million dollars......wow!!! Wouldn't last two hours in the PA world.

Well, speaking of throwing money around like it comes down a perpetual conveyor belt, Michelle and the girls are off somewhere again on an "annual trip." And while they are gone, Obama treated himself to yet another lavish outing, taking Air Force One to Palm Beach, Florida for a 3 day golf trip. At a cost of $180,000 dollars an hour for what is approximately 5 hours of flight time there and back, we soon see they smoked just under a million for his golf travel alone. It is not hard to imagine all the secret service personel and fanfare associated with the presidential golf junket could well have racked up something in excess of two million with ease. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics...-1.1265919

Heck, I wouldn't doubt that Barry's EPA jackboots and the 'green gestapo' could spend more than that to hush this clean coal story up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wildcatk23 Wrote:My electric bill had been 600$+ for 4u months.

And thats ridicolous.
If coal companies were able to see a fluxuation of permits granted, then those would be a lot cheaper because of the piles of coal.

I hate utility companies that buy off of KU.
Jackson, Cumberland Valley, etc are all major ripoffs.

I have Cumberland Valley and my bill was 400 last month, and when I had my other place which was about the same size, it was KU and the highest bill i ever got there was like 180
I paid the highest EVER utilility bill last month. We are very mindful about conserving energy, and it's just the two of us. It really chaps my butt that so much progress toward cleaner energy was done on so little money.

If we took away all the free cell phones, and applied just that program toward the coal industry, it would touch millions of people and save millions of dollars. Why is that so difficult to understand?
It amazes me that something like electricity that is needed to survive (in this day and time, not in the olden days) can cost so much.

IMO, everyone should receive free utilities up to a certain point. Beyond that point is when you have to pay for it.
Granny Bear Wrote:I paid the highest EVER utilility bill last month. We are very mindful about conserving energy, and it's just the two of us. It really chaps my butt that so much progress toward cleaner energy was done on so little money.

If we took away all the free cell phones, and applied just that program toward the coal industry, it would touch millions of people and save millions of dollars. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Unlike so many welfare programs, this one is carved out in such a way that anyone can see exactly how much they personally pay or, how much money is extorted, from their phone bill, which is then used by the government to provide free phones for no-works. It's known as the "Universal Service Fund fee." And as is the case in every last federal program known to exist, the federal cell phone program is woefully mismanaged and rife with abuse and fraud. The following excerpt comes from a very revealing article out in Oklahoma;
EXCERPT --- OKLAHOMA CITY -
If you pay a phone bill, you're paying for a program that's losing millions each year to waste, fraud and abuse. A formerly homeless man, who didn't want to be named, showed us his duffle bag full of phones, and said he has another bag just like it at home, for a total of more than 20 phones collected in the last year. "I just find somebody that needs a phone, that don't have a phone, and I sell it to them for about 10, 15, 20 bucks," he said.
END --- http://www.news9.com/story/21130543/desp...d-by-fraud

There isn't a single example in existence, of a government run program that isn't a joke by comparison to private sector commerce. I would challenge anybody to give even one example of a well run viable federal program in existence today. There just isn't one to be found. So, based on that undisputed truth, we as a people, have let folks like the guy in the article who said this "It's free. There ain't no catch to it. Who cares?" out vote conservatives again in the last election. Thanks to elections like the ones of the last two presidential cycles, we have ObamaCare, exploding numbers of disabled folks, 50 million plus on food stamps, ramped up tax payer funded abortions on demand, despite Obama's oath to America that ObamaCare would never pay for abortions (remember the resistance put up by Senator Ben Nelson from Nebraska and the resultant CornHusker Kickback?) and many other programs to pay for.

The point is, what government did to "Lifeline" they will do to their idea of universal health care. We are in real trouble, in that the health care we gave our entire 'working life' to achieve, is very likely gone, destined to be divided up and passed out among the listless. 20 cell phone toting jokers on the street will be ushered up for their care like Kings, and we of the "destined to be shorn crowd" will get what ever quality of care , table scraps, that may be left over. And, to all the slugs out there who couldn't care less if it snowed straight up it will go like this, "It's free. There ain't no catch to it. Who cares?" Seriously, who does care? Well, I know I do, are there any others out there?

With the coming of the Obama ascension to power, came the end of America as we knew it growing up and through the days of George W.. On it's head, is anything familiar. No longer does hard work and responsible living separate one from the throngs of people who only know they want things. From now on, giving one's self to provide for one's family is suddenly a passe and laughable notion for the simple minded. Why knock yourself out working for something liberal democrats are giving away, right? I still have my doubts that the average American, has any idea what the "fundamental transformation" of the Obama vision is really about and what it will mean to their style of living. When he said he believes that money should be redistributed, he meant from now on folks with money would have it taken away from them under the guileful social misnomer liberals affectionately call, the act of "doing your fair share." Translated, that means something like this; Your government embedded liberal speaking truthfully about the redistribution of wealth --- "We here in America have millions of people to take care of, many millions. Therefore, be it known from this day forward, that if you have any money, you may expect much of it to be ripped away in the form of various taxes and fees, in order that your federal government may pass it out to those who will not work for what they want and need." To prove we Americans have become full fledged zombies, Obama was able to win a second term as president.

The mid-terms of 2014 may represent our last hope and opportunity (if opportunity still exists) to stave off the full effects of the liberal onslaught to our great country.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Your post reads like the last days.....

I fully expected to see scripture reference. It's a little frightening to realize it's current.
Granny Bear Wrote:Your post reads like the last days.....

I fully expected to see scripture reference. It's a little frightening to realize it's current.

I suppose even though the present state of affairs is frightening, things could be much worse. I really don't see how America could have dodged the bullet we're having to eat right now, given that most people just don't want to be bothered with the disciplines demanded by living in a free society. In our case, we are clearly defined by the words of Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg; "But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Define irony, Ultra liberal Barack Obama likes to compare himself to Abe Lincoln. :please: Let me assure you, liberals are doing their dead level best to get as much of the truth stricken from the record and the text books from which our youth study, as they possibly can. Lincoln would be horrified to see how we have allowed the liberal to rob America of her natonal identity. It seems those spoken of by Lincoln may actually suffer the fate he most feared. Have those dead died in vain?

I would just repeat something I have said before, what the Axis Powers of WWII failed to take from us by force, the liberals have gotten us to forfeit without a whimper. Like Esau, we have sold our birthright for which so many have laid down their lives in payment, for a bowl of pottage. Ben Franklin said it like this, "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." The voting public of this land are driven to give up liberty (which involves personal financial responsibility), in exchange for their vote for those who promise temporary safety, (welfare/unlimited freebies).

Our troubles all started in earnest during the calm glory days of the late 1950's and 60's. America had beaten back the best that Hitler and Tojo had to offer. Russia posed a viable threat but, we were every bit their equal. It just never occurred to most folks that anybody from within would want to rock our national boat. Everybody knew we were the greatest nation on earth. Most folks alive today cannot fathom the nature of a true threat, because they have never had to face one. My generation understands there are people out there who would do anything to bring down the USA. Try telling that to liberals though. The point is however, that many current legislators are hell bent to tinker with America until they get us so out of whack we might not recover. Like the shade tree mechanic soon discovered. Everything looks in order while your disassembling your engine. It's putting it all back together that requires expertise. Our country was running perfectly, purring like a kitten, thanks to the George Washingtons, Abe Lincolns and the afore mentioned who martyred themselves for the sake of country, 625,000 in the Civil War and a total of 1.2 million since the Revolutionary War.

Now comes the modern liberal onto the American scene. He will never be satisfied with America as it exists. The liberal will push and push, tinker and "fundamentally transform" until we fall, because he believes in a global brotherhood of man. Really, what we are looking at, is so clear. They're attempting to force John Lennon's vision of man, "sharing all the world" to come to fruition. It's an alternate form of religion to these guys. And, believe me when I tell you they are true religious zealots! Opting to rurn their backs on God, in their minds they are the products of evolution, emergent life forms of 'mother earth', ever evolving until at last that image of utopia that dances in their heads comes to pass. To me, one major mistake they make is in assuming Russians, Red Chinese, Arabs, and North Koreans give a flip about John Lennon's vision, much less the rational Americans among us.

Like I said, as many of these guys that have seats coming avaiable in the 2014 mid-terms need to be sent packing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
judgementday Wrote:It amazes me that something like electricity that is needed to survive (in this day and time, not in the olden days) can cost so much.

IMO, everyone should receive free utilities up to a certain point. Beyond that point is when you have to pay for it.
Who do you propose paying for those "free utilities?" Electricity does not grow on trees. Somebody pays for it, the same as somebody pays for all the free stuff that Obama and the liberals dish out in exchange for votes.
There is not much meat to this story. Don't assume that this was not just another case of $5 million of our money getting flushed down the drain. Aside from mentioning that it would be "expensive" to retrofit existing power plants to use the new technology, the article is devoid of any details about the financial viability of the new technology. For all we know, the new process might use gold to extract energy from coal.

Government-funded researchers' primary concern is to qualify for additional funding. Providing sketchy details in press releases that suggest the end of all of mankind's worries is within their grasp - but will require more research to attain, is part of the process. 15 years and $5 million is long enough and money enough to expect a few more details.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:There is not much meat to this story. Don't assume that this was not just another case of $5 million of our money getting flushed down the drain. Aside from mentioning that it would be "expensive" to retrofit existing power plants to use the new technology, the article is devoid of any details about the financial viability of the new technology. For all we know, the new process might use gold to extract energy from coal.

Government-funded researchers' primary concern is to qualify for additional funding. Providing sketchy details in press releases that suggest the end of all of mankind's worries is within their grasp - but will require more research to attain, is part of the process. 15 years and $5 million is long enough and money enough to expect a few more details.

Agreed. And yet, it doesn't seem likely the process is any more of a stretch than bio fuels derived from algea technology. That process, though cited time and again as imminently viable, requires much in the way of process equipment to get little in the way of usable product. It will be interesting to see if anything ever comes of this story but, even if it is another dead end, we already have the necessary developed technology to burn coal cleanly enough so as not to harm the environment. In any event, doing away with coal makes no sense at all due to the fact there is absolutely nothing other than natural gas in the wings to replace it with. By the time the EPA gets through forcing industry to run through all the gas reserves in lieu of burning coal, what are homeowners going to heat with?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]