Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland 54 Boyd Co 52 (16th Championship)
Final
Congrats Lady Kittens
Congrats Kittens, this was a hard fought game!
Great game tonight by 2 great teams. it's a shame one had to lose. Allie Slone was the difference with 4 3 pointers. Boyd takes their only lead in the fourth qtr and Slone drains a 3 from the corner to tie it when all momentum had swung Boyds way. Super game in a losing effort by Boyd's Emily Stewart, most underated player in the 16th region. IMO if Boyd wins she is the MVP.
I agree Lion Eagle - unbelievably hard fought game between 2 traditional rivals. No one backed down on either side. I also agree that Emily Stewart had a stellar performance throughout the tourney. Boyd will have a very good team returning next year, but it will be very difficult for them to replace stewart.
I did not see this game being this close.
What a battle.:redboxer:Great game to watch! Both teams played outstanding basketball. I also think Slone's game was the difference in this one putting up 18 pts. none more important than the 2 clutch free throws with 21 secs to go to produce the final score of 54-52. Good luck to the Kittens at State.Confusedinglepar
Well-played classic. Both teams combined for only 16 TOs. Probably 7 players from this game, maybe 8, will be All-Area. Two evenly-matched teams.
Warthog Wrote:I did not see this game being this close.

When you have 2 teams that know each other so well and are traditional rivals in a tourney setting I think you throw out the regular season records and rankings. Each team had their own strengths and weakenesses (and each coach knew what they were and coached accordingly). This game was a classic between the 2 best teams in the 16th (IMO).
Great championship game. I hope all the Ashland faithful has enjoyed their ride because over the next few years barring any transfers coming in, fun time will soon be over. Boyd is in the same situation, after Wheeler graduates they are in big trouble. Look for East, especially with what is rumored, and Lewis to be the teams to beat next season.
DR. E. VILLE Wrote:Great championship game. I hope all the Ashland faithful has enjoyed their ride because over the next few years barring any transfers coming in, fun time will soon be over. Boyd is in the same situation, after Wheeler graduates they are in big trouble. Look for East, especially with what is rumored, and Lewis to be the teams to beat next season.

What is the East rumor?
I agree to a point. Ashland will be good next year but I don't think they will win district or region next year unless they get some transfers. Boyd and east will be tough. I know those schools are losing seniors also but going to be hard for Ashland to replace the tough defense by slone, the toughness of cullop, the shooting of Gambill, the smart play of Jones. I think that is losing a lot and I don't see much out of their young bench except for Robinson.
theend Wrote:I agree to a point. Ashland will be good next year but I don't think they will win district or region next year unless they get some transfers. Boyd and east will be tough. I know those schools are losing seniors also but going to be hard for Ashland to replace the tough defense by slone, the toughness of cullop, the shooting of Gambill, the smart play of Jones. I think that is losing a lot and I don't see much out of their young bench except for Robinson.

I think the team to beat next year (and a few years after that) will be East. They have very good young players and are well coached. I think Lewis will be good but the loss of Liles and their point guard (Emily Frye) will be bigger than what some people think. I think it will be a dogfight between Ashland and Boyd because the loss of Stewart (who I think played the best ball of all of Boyd's players in the tourney) and Kinser will be huge. Boyd, like Ashland will have a very short bench. IMO East is the clear favorite with Boyd, Lewis, and Ashland all bunched up at the second spot.
HD28 Wrote:What is the East rumor?

Yeah Dr., what is the East rumour?????
I heard 2 girls transferring in but don't know from where, They better be talented to break the starting 5 of East Carter and the 1st few off the bench.

East is Clearly the favorite the next 2 years in my opinion.
dei227 Wrote:I heard 2 girls transferring in but don't know from where, They better be talented to break the starting 5 of East Carter and the 1st few off the bench.

East is Clearly the favorite the next 2 years in my opinion.

Not gonna put too much creedence in this rumour if no one know who these girls are, what positions they play, what schools they are coming from, or how talented they are. Nor saying it won't happen, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Don't be fooled Boyd and Ashland will be right there. Boyd might have a new face on the team to go with what they got coming back and Ashland will have 3 of the top 10 players in the region. East should be good and Lewis but don't see Lewis being as good as they were this year, Russell will be pretty good as well improve a lot this season with pretty good middle school teams coming up.
16th Lion Wrote:Don't be fooled Boyd and Ashland will be right there. Boyd might have a new face on the team to go with what they got coming back and Ashland will have 3 of the top 10 players in the region. East should be good and Lewis but don't see Lewis being as good as they were this year, Russell will be pretty good as well improve a lot this season with pretty good middle school teams coming up.

This would not be shocking at all. Boyd and Ashland has recuited kids for years. Congrats to both coaches for staying out of the way and allowing AAU influence and Rose Hill as feeder systems.
What two coaches you talking about? I don't believe rose hill has anything left.
DR. E. VILLE Wrote:This would not be shocking at all. Boyd and Ashland has recuited kids for years. Congrats to both coaches for staying out of the way and allowing AAU influence and Rose Hill as feeder systems.

Any varsity players that have transfered from Rose Hill to Ashland did so before high school and live in the Ashland School District. Where is the evidence of recruiting? If no solid evidence then this is a ridiculous post.
Skip Pass Wrote:Any varsity players that have transfered from Rose Hill to Ashland did so before high school and live in the Ashland School District. Where is the evidence of recruiting? If no solid evidence then this is a ridiculous post.

About as ridiculous as you thinking Kristi Orem coached at Lewis County. You need to educate yourself just a little bit more and re-read the KHSAA rules. Doesn't matter if they are in the 4th grade. Recruiting is recruiting. Transferring before their 9th grade year just insures they will not have to sit out to play varsity.
DR. E. VILLE Wrote:About as ridiculous as you thinking Kristi Orem coached at Lewis County. You need to educate yourself just a little bit more and re-read the KHSAA rules. Doesn't matter if they are in the 4th grade. Recruiting is recruiting. Transferring before their 9th grade year just insures they will not have to sit out to play varsity.

I meant to say that Orem was coach at Fleming - my mistake. Believe me, I saw them play enough this year to know what team she coaches. Regarding the recruiting, The Kittens have not had a starting player transfer to Ashland in 4 years, and again those transfers already lived in the Ashland District. With the mess that was occuring in the Rose Hill athletic program at that time I wouldn't blame any player for leaving and going to ANY school. If you live in the Ashland School District why would you go to any other school (unless you already have some deep hatred for Ashland)

And you still haven't proved that the Kittens program resorted to recruiting anyway. And don't just say "I just know it was done". That's a pretty serious accusation to make about a coach without the FACTS to back it up. So...back it up.....
Ding ding
To stay a little on topic, this was the third year in a row these two rivals have met in the finals. With arguably next year's top four players in the region playing for these two programs (and I believe they always been in their perspective school systems), it's feasible they could meet again.
In my opinion, these 2 will meet in district championships the next couple years but east will be in the regional championship next 2 years.
theend Wrote:In my opinion, these 2 will meet in district championships the next couple years but east will be in the regional championship next 2 years.

I have to agree that East will be the favorite to win the region the next few years. Young good talent, deep bench, and good coaching.
Ashland lost two All-Area players from last year's team and succeeded but losing 7 seniors will be toug hto overcome.
Lewis does not lose Emily Frye. They lose Taylor Frye.
HD28 Wrote:Lewis does not lose Emily Frye. They lose Taylor Frye.

You are correct as well. I don't know why I wrote Emily Frye instead of Taylor. I really need to proof read my posts. Smile
Steve Kuberski Wrote:Ashland lost two All-Area players from last year's team and succeeded but losing 7 seniors will be toug hto overcome.

4 years ago they lost Connor, Dietrich, Wilcox, Hanners, Leaver, Gibson, Mauk, Jones, and Ackerson. Those seniors were much better than the seniors graduating this year. The following year the Kittens made it to the Regional Finals. Never count Bradley and the Kittens out. They will be better next year.
Bradley does a great job and ashland will be in the mix of things next year as well.