Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County to start a girls soccer team?
The word is if they can find someone to coach they will start up a team. I hope so, it will be another sport that the girls can play that doesn't fit in, in any other sport.
You better be carefull Soccer really water other sports down. Corbin lost a couple good basketball player this year who chose to play travel soccer.These girl would have help carry on what they have got started,
Please, soccer doesn't water down anything, if anything it will make your players better if they choose to play other sports. Why would they be responsible for carrying on anything..they chose a sport that is much more exciting and challenging for their taste. The travel soccer lifestyle is so much different than high school sports, their minds were likely made up long ago. Hope Harlan co does add soccer! Wish even more schools was adding this sport. Just remember soccer is NOW the number 1 youth participation sport in America !
awsumbill_68 Wrote:Please, soccer doesn't water down anything, if anything it will make your players better if they choose to play other sports. Why would they be responsible for carrying on anything..they chose a sport that is much more exciting and challenging for their taste. The travel soccer lifestyle is so much different than high school sports, their minds were likely made up long ago. Hope Harlan co does add soccer! Wish even more schools was adding this sport. Just remember soccer is NOW the number 1 youth participation sport in America !

We live in a rural poverty stricken area, they are just not that many female athletes, if you go to a softball game or tennis match you see mostly the same kids that you saw on the basketball court.I'm not trying to badmouth soccer, I just do not believe they have enough athlete to be competive in all sports.And i'm not blaming the girls for playing travel soccer I would have done the same thing.
Here in Letcher county all our girls participate in a fall, winter, and spring sport.If it wasn't for that the trophies, (and there is a lot of region team championship) would not happen.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
insideinfo Wrote:We live in a rural poverty stricken area, they are just not that many female athletes, if you go to a softball game or tennis match you see mostly the same kids that you saw on the basketball court.I'm not trying to badmouth soccer, I just do not believe they have enough athlete to be competive in all sports.And i'm not blaming the girls for playing travel soccer I would have done the same thing.

It's hard to believe there are not enough athletes to go around. Over the past year in girl's sports, Corbin won the region in tennis, won the region in volleyball, won the region in basketball, were the region runner-up in soccer and had a very competitive softball team. I can't think of any girl who played a major role, or possibly one that even played, two of these sports at Corbin.
Club soccer is a year round commitment. So if they choose it they wasn't going to take the other ones serious. That is why it is called club sport.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Any updates on HCHS starting a girls team? Also heard that Knox Central is trying to have a team for Fall 2014. Any news?
I hope they pick up girls teams, but what about some boys teams also! And don't give me the same old story of how they think it will hurt their football teams...cause that's bull!:Cheerlead
Girls soccer yes :Cheerlead
Who will be coaching?
soccer_ninja Wrote:Any updates on HCHS starting a girls team? Also heard that Knox Central is trying to have a team for Fall 2014. Any news?
Hope that both Harlan County and Knox County start girl's soccer programs as this area of the mountains needs more competitive soccer. There is nothing wrong, in fact I would encourage good athletes (either male or female) to play multiple sports. Its good for them and good for the school. The typical path for ELITE soccer players that have the ability, desire, and money and want to play collegiate soccer is to play with a club team year round after their high school season is over. (This is similar to AAU basketball.)
Region is too watered down. Especially in the 14th Region. We need more teams for sure.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Hope this happens.Great opportunity for the kids!
Knox Central is having a team this season. Going to schedule with them.
Looks like it's finally going to happen.....
http://harlandaily.com/news/10745/hchs-a...occer-team
Awesome!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!