Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marion County 52 - Notre Dame 36 (Sweet 16 Championship)
Girls Sweet 16 Championship
Undefeated 39-0 for MC.
If im not mistaken, only the third, with Laurel County and Marshall County doing it before.

There wasnt just a gap this year, there was a huge gap.
This was decided back in November.

Congrats MC.
Marion 39-0 on the season.
Congrats to Marion County on their undefeated season. Very impressive tournament and a VERY good team. Look forward to seeing Makayla and Kyvin at UK next season, both will be great additions.
Congrats to Marion
This team had to be put together.
They were just to good
Congrats to Notre Dame as well,
The margin of victory was the closest they encountered to an in state team all year long.
Marion County only had one game go under a 15 point margin and that was to a state runner up in TN.

This was only the second time. Blowouts all year.

If im not mistaken, isnt Marion loaded with seniors? Rebuilding year next year?
Has to be, but they have some good, young talent coming up. They won't go quietly into the night.

Your 5th region contenders for next year are E-town, Larue and Marion. I'd bet the house it will be one of those three.
4 sr
4 jr
4(8th grades)
this is from khsaa roster
Congrats to MC on the championship and ND on a great season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Congrats, MC. They maybe one of the best girls teams ever in the State of KY!

I will say this I was disappointed in their coach for his reactions to Anderson Co., Saturday morning, when the Anderson Co., coach was trying to give his Sr. girls one more moment in the light by inserting them back in the game to take them out, so the Anderson Co. fans could recongize them. His screaming at AC coach was classless!

I have been attending girls sweet 16 for the last 10 years, love it, lots of fun. Bowling Green does a tremendous job of hosting this. KHSAA don't take it out of BG, please.

ND did a tremendous job, they looked very tired at the end of the 2nd quarter. They had a tough Semi-final game, but certainly nothing to hang your head about.!!

Can't wait till next year to be back at Diddle!
Should Diddle be the only place? Would love to see it at Memorial or even Rupp. EKU would also be a good place. Rotate it some due to travel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Mountaineer Man Wrote:Congrats, MC. They maybe one of the best girls teams ever in the State of KY!

I will say this I was disappointed in their coach for his reactions to Anderson Co., Saturday morning, when the Anderson Co., coach was trying to give his Sr. girls one more moment in the light by inserting them back in the game to take them out, so the Anderson Co. fans could recongize them. His screaming at AC coach was classless!

I have been attending girls sweet 16 for the last 10 years, love it, lots of fun. Bowling Green does a tremendous job of hosting this. KHSAA don't take it out of BG, please.

ND did a tremendous job, they looked very tired at the end of the 2nd quarter. They had a tough Semi-final game, but certainly nothing to hang your head about.!!

Can't wait till next year to be back at Diddle!

Why was he yelling at Anderson Coach? Pressing and fouling on Marion when Marion put in middle school kids? I would have inserted my starters and promptly put a running clock on Anderson. Kays is classless for that.
Marion County is truly one of the best girls teams of all time in Kentucky.
lillianhidgepork Wrote:Why was he yelling at Anderson Coach? Pressing and fouling on Marion when Marion put in middle school kids? I would have inserted my starters and promptly put a running clock on Anderson. Kays is classless for that.

BOTH of these coaches were classless in their Friday games, pressing with their starters in the second half trying to get a running clock!! NOT what high school sports are about IMO!! WIN, yes, disgrace who you are playing against, NO!!
AC should have conceeded, putting in subs sooner so that MC could have put in subs sooner. Leaving your seniors in when you are down 25 late is not the kind of light players want to be in. They had their chance to be in the light for 3+ quarters. Then some of the AC girls, who work just as hard as the seniors, could have a little of the state experience to remember for the rest of their lives. As a coach, nothing can upset you more than putting new players in and the other coach taking advantage of this by leaving starters in to cut a score.
Anderson should have just played their subs in second half. I mean really trying to press the middle school kids...i will say Marion left no question as to who was the best team.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Should Diddle be the only place? Would love to see it at Memorial or even Rupp. EKU would also be a good place. Rotate it some due to travel.

Yes Diddle should be the only place. Memorial parking would not be good at all. Rupp why would you want to be in a 22,000 seat arena when you draw only about 8,000 for the championship game. EKU had it, Richmond not near as nice a town as Bowling Green. Leave it at Diddle. Bowling Green does a great job.
Mountaineer Man Wrote:Yes Diddle should be the only place. Memorial parking would not be good at all. Rupp why would you want to be in a 22,000 seat arena when you draw only about 8,000 for the championship game. EKU had it, Richmond not near as nice a town as Bowling Green. Leave it at Diddle. Bowling Green does a great job.

Yes they do but it's too far for the eastern regions to drive EVERY year, not fair to the fans!! Set up a rotation. Rupp has a curtain that can be dropped shutting off the upper arena and make it more cozy for the girl's game. What about the YUM in the 'Ville??
Coachinthestands Wrote:Yes they do but it's too far for the eastern regions to drive EVERY year, not fair to the fans!! Set up a rotation. Rupp has a curtain that can be dropped shutting off the upper arena and make it more cozy for the girl's game. What about the YUM in the 'Ville??

This was my first trip to Diddle and I gotta say it's a great place to watch a game. The drive from Pike county was a long one but there's a lot to do in BG other than the games.
Coachinthestands Wrote:Yes they do but it's too far for the eastern regions to drive EVERY year, not fair to the fans!! Set up a rotation. Rupp has a curtain that can be dropped shutting off the upper arena and make it more cozy for the girl's game. What about the YUM in the 'Ville??

And the "Ville is more centrally located then BG? What about Western KY? For Marshall Co., coming from the first region BG was 3 1/2 hours would have been 6/7 to Rupp.
Mountaineer Man Wrote:And the "Ville is more centrally located then BG? What about Western KY? For Marshall Co., coming from the first region BG was 3 1/2 hours would have been 6/7 to Rupp.

And for the 15th region schools BG is about 6-7 away WHICH is why I said it needed to be rotated around a little bit to be fair to EVERYBODY, not just Western Ky schools!!
This team was special and was fun to watch. UK is getting two dandy players from Marion.
Coachinthestands Wrote:And for the 15th region schools BG is about 6-7 away WHICH is why I said it needed to be rotated around a little bit to be fair to EVERYBODY, not just Western Ky schools!!

With your principal then why not rotate every sport to be fair to everyone? Boy's basketball, baseball is in Lexington, a lot closer for the 15th region than the 1st, soccer is in Georgetown, again closer to the 15th than the 1st. Bowling Green does a great job hosting the Girls tourney, a lot better than Richmond did. With the geography of KY there is not going to be a "good" place to be fair to EVERYBODY, you need to go to who wants the event in their city! Bowling Green wants the girls, and they want the football!
Mountaineer Man Wrote:With your principal then why not rotate every sport to be fair to everyone? Boy's basketball, baseball is in Lexington, a lot closer for the 15th region than the 1st, soccer is in Georgetown, again closer to the 15th than the 1st. Bowling Green does a great job hosting the Girls tourney, a lot better than Richmond did. With the geography of KY there is not going to be a "good" place to be fair to EVERYBODY, you need to go to who wants the event in their city! Bowling Green wants the girls, and they want the football!

NOW you're getting it, rotate ALL the sports around to BE FAIR TO EVERYBODY!!! That's an unusual thing to try and do today isn't it???
Coachinthestands,

The rotation theory is a nice theory, but horrible in actuality.

There are very few places in the state capable of hosting the girls tourney and FEWER which are sized enough.

Playing girls' state at YUM!, Freedom Hall or Rupp would be worthless. Those places have higher rents. Plus, you don't want to fill like you're playing in a cavern. Also, doubtful a place like Rupp could be booked for that long.

Parking at Memorial in Lexington is horrible, and the All-Tech Arena (which hosts state wrestling) would be too small for some girls' games.

Richmond and Frankfort both had their shots. Attendance wasn't great. And frankly, both arenas have seen better days.

Now if NKU wanted to host at the Bank of Kentucky center, that's an intriguing choice.

But cities also have to have the financial backing (big-time sponsor) as well as hotels to support a tourney. And they have to WANT to host it.

If YUM! and Rupp wanted the girls' tournament bad enough, the state tourney would be in Lou or Lex by now ... but that ain't happening.

And with most of the state's population base residing in these three areas (LOU-LEX-NKY), also known as the golden triangle, it makes sense to keep the events NEAR the golden triangle, not push it away.

You do NOT want to alienate the MAJORITY of your fanbase.

IIRC, Here are the state sites. Keep in mind that far west KY and far east KY have very few facilities capable of hosting most state tournaments. And just because they would fit in in like 2 or 3 spots does NOT mean they should be awarded those 2 or 3 spots (especially when there are better facilities OR more centrally located facilities)

Cross Country: Lexington (Horse Park)
Golf: Bowling Green (BGCC)
Soccer: Lexington (multiple high schools)
Volleyball: Louisville (Valley HS, formerly Bellarmine U)
Football: Bowling Green (WKU)
Boys' Basketball: Lexington (UK/Rupp)
Girls' Basketball: Bowling Green (WKU/Diddle)
Swimming: Louisville
Wrestling: Lexington (Horse Park)
Bowling: Louisville
Archery: Louisville
Cheerleading: Bowling Green (WKU/Diddle)
Baseball: Lexington
Softball: Owensboro (has been in J'town, Hopkinsville and Frankfort in the last dozen years or so as well)
Tennis: Lexington (mostly UK)
Track: Louisville (formerly Lexington)
Bass Fishing: Land Between the Lakes in Western-Southern Kentucky

FWIW, I'm NOT from Louisville.
I'm NOT from Lexington
I'm NOT from Bowling Green.
I'm NOT from NKY, either.
cksportsfan Wrote:Coachinthestands,

The rotation theory is a nice theory, but horrible in actuality.

There are very few places in the state capable of hosting the girls tourney and FEWER which are sized enough.

Playing girls' state at YUM!, Freedom Hall or Rupp would be worthless. Those places have higher rents. Plus, you don't want to fill like you're playing in a cavern. Also, doubtful a place like Rupp could be booked for that long.

Parking at Memorial in Lexington is horrible, and the All-Tech Arena (which hosts state wrestling) would be too small for some girls' games.

Richmond and Frankfort both had their shots. Attendance wasn't great. And frankly, both arenas have seen better days.

Now if NKU wanted to host at the Bank of Kentucky center, that's an intriguing choice.

But cities also have to have the financial backing (big-time sponsor) as well as hotels to support a tourney. And they have to WANT to host it.

If YUM! and Rupp wanted the girls' tournament bad enough, the state tourney would be in Lou or Lex by now ... but that ain't happening.

And with most of the state's population base residing in these three areas (LOU-LEX-NKY), also known as the golden triangle, it makes sense to keep the events NEAR the golden triangle, not push it away.

You do NOT want to alienate the MAJORITY of your fanbase.

IIRC, Here are the state sites. Keep in mind that far west KY and far east KY have very few facilities capable of hosting most state tournaments. And just because they would fit in in like 2 or 3 spots does NOT mean they should be awarded those 2 or 3 spots (especially when there are better facilities OR more centrally located facilities)

Cross Country: Lexington (Horse Park)
Golf: Bowling Green (BGCC)
Soccer: Lexington (multiple high schools)
Volleyball: Louisville (Valley HS, formerly Bellarmine U)
Football: Bowling Green (WKU)
Boys' Basketball: Lexington (UK/Rupp)
Girls' Basketball: Bowling Green (WKU/Diddle)
Swimming: Louisville
Wrestling: Lexington (Horse Park)
Bowling: Louisville
Archery: Louisville
Cheerleading: Bowling Green (WKU/Diddle)
Baseball: Lexington
Softball: Owensboro (has been in J'town, Hopkinsville and Frankfort in the last dozen years or so as well)
Tennis: Lexington (mostly UK)
Track: Louisville (formerly Lexington)
Bass Fishing: Land Between the Lakes in Western-Southern Kentucky

FWIW, I'm NOT from Louisville.
I'm NOT from Lexington
I'm NOT from Bowling Green.
I'm NOT from NKY, either.

NOT talking about moving it around to different parts of the state, just something like year to year, 1 year in Diddle, 1 year in Rupp, (Rupp DOES have a curtain that they can drop around the upper level and make everybody feel cozy!!!) Making the eastern ky schools drive 250-350 miles EVERY year does seem a bit unfair to me, I believe Ashland had about 10 people in their student section this year, Notre Dame had less than that for their first couple of games.
You're not going to Rupp and putting down a curtain. That's dumb. You're gonna pay full rent and only use half the facility?

As far as Notre Dame, they didn't let school out. Partly because they go to state in a lot of sports, so they can't be cancelling school every time a team goes to a state tournament.
cksportsfan Wrote:You're not going to Rupp and putting down a curtain. That's dumb. You're gonna pay full rent and only use half the facility?

As far as Notre Dame, they didn't let school out. Partly because they go to state in a lot of sports, so they can't be cancelling school every time a team goes to a state tournament.

WHY not put the curtain down???? I know I've heard a LOT of girl's players say it's not fair that they don't get to play in Rupp, I really don't think they'd mind the curtain down at all!!

Even with school not letting out if the tournament had been in Rupp or northern ky I'd say they would've had a LOT more fans, especially Saturday morning and the championship game!!
The girls can argue about it not being fair about playing in Rupp, but they have no legal backing.

Title IX does not guarantee biggest facility. And yes, it is equitable.

Plus, apparently Rupp/Lexington does NOT want the girls' tourney.

1) Probably not gonna make the money to make ends meet.
2) Bigger hassle running back to back tourneys (or simultaneously)
3) If tourneys are running back to back, it's hard to squeeze UK games in (they moved the boys final to Sunday so the Cats could play Saturday morning)

As far as Notre Dame, they knew they were going to get crushed (and they did). Check out Marion's attendance. It was a LOT bigger this year (when they knew they were gonna win) compared to the last two years (when they got beat early the first time and lost in the final to an equally if not more talented Manual team the second time).

That's NOT a mere coincidence.

If you want the girls' tourney more in the Eastern part of the state, you'd have better luck with Memorial (parking stinks, plus Lady Cats still need it for practice), Alltech (brand new, but possibly too small), Bank of Kentucky center at NKU (still relatively new, good size) or maybe Frankfort (old) or EKU (old).

It's no different than boys' baseball getting to play at a nice multi-million dollar professional facility (Lexington Legends) and girls' softball being played at a park (Owensboro, Hoptown, Frankfort, J'town).

Unless U of L (nice softball stadium) and maybe UK or WKU WANT (and bid) for state softball, it ain't happening.

You're not getting Rupp for the girls.

At least not any time soon.

The girls don't NEED Rupp's size.
Rupp does not NEED the girls (wouldn't even fill up 40 percent, even for the title game).

You're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole on this one.