Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should happen to Dzhokhar Tsarnaev?
Granny Bear Wrote:What makes you think he will be found guilty?

^^I love the Biden picture Granny!Confusednicker:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I would have much rather got the older brother alive.
He would have had so much more valuable information.

I actually think the older brother probably would have clammed up and not said anything. IMO, the younger brother will yield more information.

Even though it will cost more, I believe the death penalty should apply here. This reminds me of the Aurora shooter who entered a guilty plea in exchange for life in prison but the prosecution rejected his plea and are seeking the death penalty as they feel appropriate justice outweighs the cost...In these instances, I would have to agree...
Hoot Gibson Wrote:After his lawyers get through with getting Dzhokhar a haircut and makeover, he will receive marriage proposals from all over the world, some of them from very hot looking women. We live in a sick society and can only hope that the prosecution can succeed in getting 12 reasonably intelligent Americans seated on the jury.

Media prognostication is all the rage this morning. So far I've heard two people in the same interview refer to the bombers as kids. Kirsten Powers and a CIA counter terror agent Chris somebody, I didn't catch his last name. The CIA agent was floating the theory that they weren't connected to any terror organization and further the 'boys' should be tried for murder, not terror because this in his view, was more of a Columbine type incident. :please:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
He has to be tried in a civilian court, regardless of whether they call it terror, or murder. I heard one of the politicians,(King) say something about federal court, and state court. He did say that it was against the law to try him in military court. I don't know, they might have to split up some of the charges.
If they're going to try the death penalty then it has to be Federal crimes he's charged with(Mass. Doesn't have the death penalty)
Those in Congress pushing enemy combatant are off base on this one. If he would be classified as an enemy combatant then it would be a military trial. I don't see that happening
nky Wrote:If they're going to try the death penalty then it has to be Federal crimes he's charged with(Mass. Doesn't have the death penalty)
Those in Congress pushing enemy combatant are off base on this one. If he would be classified as an enemy combatant then it would be a military trial. I don't see that happening
So, King wasn't right about the military trial being out of the question for a civilian American citizen? To use enemy combatant doesn't it have to be against someone with which we in a declared war with?
If they get the classification then.................... yea not out of the question. But that's not likely
From what I can find out about the enemy combatant rule, is that it has to proven that he is linked to the taliban, or al qaeda.
http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/20...combatent/
As long as he gets death, or life/no parole I'm for anything. This scum never needs to see another peaceful day until he's dead.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was charged with one count of using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction resulting in death and one count of malicious destruction of property by means of an explosive device resulting in death, according to a statement from the Justice Department.
He could face the death penalty if convicted.
Well, I've read and re-read.....still don't understand the charges.

I read somewhere that they could charge him in an exception, as an enemy combatant, in order to receive intelligence only from him....that's ambiguous to me.

Also, I didn't see anything pertaining to charging him with terrorism, kidnapping, car jacking, multiple murders (police officer) etc etc

It appears to me that I could set off a pipe bomb in my front yard, accidently divert a car off the road that killed the driver, and be charged similarly.

I'll go back and read more later! Getting fuzzy vision!
Wink
Granny Bear Wrote:Well, I've read and re-read.....still don't understand the charges.

I read somewhere that they could charge him in an exception, as an enemy combatant, in order to receive intelligence only from him....that's ambiguous to me.

Also, I didn't see anything pertaining to charging him with terrorism, kidnapping, car jacking, multiple murders (police officer) etc etc

It appears to me that I could set off a pipe bomb in my front yard, accidently divert a car off the road that killed the driver, and be charged similarly.

Wink

Ambiguous to say the least.

I'm on the fence when it comes to naming an American citizen as an "enemy combatant" when on American soil. If it is certain a citizen has joined and aided a group like the Taliban and is directly involved with killing Americans in the process, "maybe" they should lose their citizen rights and be sent straight to GITMO then face a military trial. How do you do that? Is it determined by someone or some group? Is there possibly a trial to determine whether or not they have become an enemy combatant?

Lots of tough decisions to be made about this ruthless killer. For the past several years our government don't have a good track record at making tough decisions. They better get this one right.
Well, SKINNYPIG, like I said I have read and re-read! It clearly states that he cannot be charged as an enemy combatant because he is an American citizen. However, there is a small group of legislatures that want to charge him with that with an exception. He won't be detained at GITMO, and the only thing they want to do is use that status to gain intelligence. Also, his formal charges are just beyond me. Like I said earlier, it wouldn't surprise me if he got off on some kind of flukey reason.

A crime of this degree, and we're playing word/status games! It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Tell you one more thing......the reason it costs more to kill someone than to give them life in prison is how much time and resources they spend for their appeals, education etc etc. If they died within the first year, after ONE appeal at THEIR expense, I don't think it would cost more. I say public firing squad for certain crimes. THIS would be one of those certain crimes.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:Ambiguous to say the least.

I'm on the fence when it comes to naming an American citizen as an "enemy combatant" when on American soil. If it is certain a citizen has joined and aided a group like the Taliban and is directly involved with killing Americans in the process, "maybe" they should lose their citizen rights and be sent straight to GITMO then face a military trial. How do you do that? Is it determined by someone or some group? Is there possibly a trial to determine whether or not they have become an enemy combatant?

Lots of tough decisions to be made about this ruthless killer. For the past several years our government don't have a good track record at making tough decisions. They better get this one right.
Rep. King said an American civilian cannot be tried in a military court. He says he helped write the law. I think he will get what all of us want, at any rate. Life/no parole or death.
TheRealVille Wrote:Rep. King said an American civilian cannot be tried in a military court. He says he helped write the law. I think he will get what all of us want, at any rate. Life/no parole or death.

Yeah, I know. I'm slipping all over this slippery slope. I want law to prevail but, it sure would be nice to get some information from this guy. If he isn't going to be interrogated to find out what he knows, it would have been better to have killed him when he was shooting and throwing bombs at police. It would have been quicker, cheaper and we would still be speculating on what really transpired or if he had coconspirators.
TheRealVille Wrote:Rep. King said an American civilian cannot be tried in a military court. He says he helped write the law. I think he will get what all of us want, at any rate. Life/no parole or death.

I also think his day in court won't be pretty, that's not the fear I have. My fear is loss of possible valuable information he may have, and now not give, since he will not be interrogated.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:I also think his day in court won't be pretty, that's not the fear I have. My fear is loss of possible valuable information he may have, and now not give, since he will not be interrogated.
Yea, I wish they could get some info out of him. Is that off the table now? If so, we can only hope he does what McVeigh did, and do a taped interview later.
It would be nice to see and exception to the rule of foreigners who gain American Citizenship to get a grace period of 5 to 10 years before they can receive full rights.
Granny Bear Wrote:Well, I've read and re-read.....still don't understand the charges.

Wink

Granny, I believe that the WMD and other one are federal charges and the 180 counts of attempted murder, 4 counts of murder, car jacking, theft, and fleeing from police will be filed by the city or the state. I could be wrong. Also, kidnapping probably won't be a charge because it wasn't 24 hours. But regardless, he's probably done for. I've read that he's being pretty cooperative and responding in writing.
Well there ya go, Belfry! That didn't even occur to me, and to be honest, I don't remember reading that.

That makes perfect sense to me. The only problem is that the "law" in these kinds of intense cases rarely ever makes sense to me.

Don't even get me started on "justice".
Tongueuke:
He only has that one Federal Charge so far so that he doesn't get released or anything. It's a legal thing to make sure he has a change over his head to keep in custody...FOREVER
^The 19-year-old faces charges of using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction resulting in death, and of malicious destruction of property by means of an explosive device resulting in death.
He has been read his miranda rights so now he can get an attorney. However, as been mentioned, he has been communicating via writing.
^ He already said he couldn't afford one, when asked the question, and 3 were appointed to him. Someone reported that his miranda rights were read to him a couple of days ago, then again yesterday to make sure he understood them. They also reported that he was beginning to speak a little. I can't remember who was reporting, probably CNN.
You guys think the FBI will publicly release the video of the terrorist putting his backpack down, now? I've heard they had planned on it but were waiting.
Belfry0304 Wrote:You guys think the FBI will publicly release the video of the terrorist putting his backpack down, now? I've heard they had planned on it but were waiting.
I don't know, I haven't heard anything on their decision. I'm kind of torn on whether they should, or not. In one way, I think most are like me, and would like to see it. In another way, I don't know if I want to see the point just before, that caused all the death and destruction. I have saw reports that they do have video of him sitting it down.
It's pretty ironic that he is being treated in a Jewish hospital.
I think they will release it eventually, to silence conspirators for one. Plus we already have a few angles of the explosion so...