Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV set top boxes and computers on a stick
zaga_fan Wrote:Would you think this would be a suitable media center?

Or would you just recommend using it like a tablet computer?
I think that it will eventually make a good, low cost media center, for streaming video and music from multiple sources - but it's not there yet. I understand that I can "sideload" Flash and then stream my Amazon videos, but that's not exactly plug and play. There is a media application called XBMC that is available but it still has some bugs that need to be worked out.

With all that said, I love mine after I replaced the adapter. Roku and AppleTV are better as media centers right now, but the Android devices are great for web surfing too.

There is a distro of Linux that is still in alpha or beta called Picuntu that is very promising. I think that XBMC runs well on Linux and some of the Android sticks can run Picuntu instead. As that operating system matures, Linux enthusiasts will be scooping the devices up. (The device that I bought does not run Picuntu yet.)

I spent under $140 (the stick is now $63 from Amazon) and I have a system that I can connect to hard drives, DVD/CD players, web cams, wireless keyboards and trackpads, "air mice," flash drives, SSD drives, wi-fi, etc. - and the thing is surprisingly fast.
Messages In This Thread
TV set top boxes and computers on a stick - by Hoot Gibson - 05-06-2013, 08:34 PM