Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's got the best defense in the 15th?
Tell me who you think puts the best pressure on thier opponents
D. Pugh. enough said.
Last year it was Pikeville. They couldn't score very well but their defense got them a district championship and a competive game against Johnson Central in the regional tourney.
BlueBells Wrote:D. Pugh. enough said.

Pugh was a solid defensive player. Paintsville will miss him. Without him they will struggle to stop people because of their lack of size.
In years past when this question came up most everybody would have said Allen Central, but since the've had such a struggle up there the past 3 season you definitley can't say them, I would Probabily put the tigers of paintsville at the top and then probabily Johnson Central with the addition of the New PG up there...JMO
Is this a team question, or who the best players on defense?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Both Paintsville and Pikeville will be solid on defense....and Allen Central is still not bad on defense, coach Martin always has them in the best shape possible
Last year Belfry held their opponents to around 36% from the field and forced around 21/22 turnovers per game..
Paintsville didn't defend very well the times I saw them last year...tried to outscore opponents..imo
Pikeville and Belfry were both defensive last year and probably will be again this season
Hoops Lover Wrote:Paintsville didn't defend very well the times I saw them last year...tried to outscore opponents..imo

I agree! They sure couldn't slow SV down in the regional tourney, including Pugh. SV scored at will all night.
Now that pugh is gone, Jesse Meek is the best defender in the region, HANDS DOWN
JC will be very excited for the new year, and will be dangerous with McCarty, Meek, and Crum.
Sweet_16 Wrote:Now that pugh is gone, Jesse Meek is the best defender in the region, HANDS DOWN
JC will be very excited for the new year, and will be dangerous with McCarty, Meek, and Crum.

He is a good player but nothing in the 15th is "Hands Down". The region is always very close in every category including defense!
bball fan Wrote:He is a good player but nothing in the 15th is "Hands Down". The region is always very close in every category including defense!

There are some things in the region that are hands down...
Ex. McCarty and Slone are the best in the region..
Paintsiville and JC will be the 2 best teams...
AND Jesse Meek is the best defender.

---------HANDS DOWN--------------------------------
Sweet_16 Wrote:There are some things in the region that are hands down...

McCarty and Slone are very good!! The other two examples are very shaky.
bball fan Wrote:McCarty and Slone are very good!! The other two examples are very shaky.
Point well taken.:Thumbs:
Hands down?? Like Paintsville was going to win it "hands down" last year?? like he said...nothing or no one is hands down that much better right now in the 15th..
Sweet_16 Wrote:There are some things in the region that are hands down...

Rolleyes Absolutely nothing in this region is "hands down"..... as much as you might want it to be...
Shelby Valley and Pikeville
SV is top 3 also..IMO
Hoops Lover Wrote:Hands down?? Like Paintsville was going to win it "hands down" last year?? like he said...nothing or no one is hands down that much better right now in the 15th..

lol.
I believe only the "paintsville fans" said that one.....Not once in my mind did pville winning a 15th region championship cross...
Back to the topic... I like JC as the best defensive team..
Sweet_16 Wrote:Now that pugh is gone, Jesse Meek is the best defender in the region, HANDS DOWN

Umm Pugh isnt gone....he's a senior this year :Thumbs:
ducky Wrote:Back to the topic... I like JC as the best defensive team..

Check the points totals... out of 17 schools in the region, only 5 schools give up more points than JC, I dont think that would make them a defensive team. But then again, that is just my opinion.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
gish_7 Wrote:Umm Pugh isnt gone....he's a senior this year :Thumbs:

Yes, but he has hung up his basketball shoes. Him and BMR never did see eye to eye!!
Shelby Valley
15th region teams ranked in order of lowest to highest in points givin up during the season.

Phelps 1,384

East Ridge 1,503

Pikeville 1,504

Shelby Valley 1,687

Betsy Layne 1,763

Lawrence County 1,780

Prestonsburg 1,798

Magoffin County 1,811

Sheldon Clark 1,841

Belfry 1,861

Allen Central 1,957

Johnson Central 1,993

Paintsville 2,041

Pike Central 2,053

Piarist 2,146

South Floyd 2,233

David 2,257

I know this won't help settle the arguement. I do think some of the teams are rather surprising though.
Look at the number of games played as well...that will shed some light on some of the teams with lower points allowed per game.
Look at the strength of schedule too.
I thought J.C. and Paintsville has the best defense last season this year I think we'll see more teams play better defense. I'll keep my lips sealed on who I think will pick the d up in the near future till I feel comfortable revealing it..lol