Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jason Kidd hired as new Nets head coach
Bad move.
Wow. No experience as a coach at all. I think anyone would agree he has an incredible basketball IQ, but would have benefited from at least a couple of years as either an assistant in the NBA or as a head coach in the D-League at least. Wish him well but not so sure how this will work out. But he is going to a team with some talent at least.
Hilarious.
Nets ownership has no clue...
Brian Shaw must be a TERRIBLE interviewer!
This will be a complete failure.
Nets will have a better season next year....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mark Jackson took over the head coach job of the Warriors last year and did a great job with NO head coaching experience. They went from way under .500 to a legitimate playoff team.

Larry Bird was randomly named the head coach of the Pacers - coached for three years - made it to the eastern conference finals twice and the NBA finals once (with Mark Jackson as his point guard). Bird won coach of the year, ended up moving to the front office and then won executive of the year.

There are a lot of great coaches out there, but IMO this is a great move for the Nets IF (emphasis on IF) they bring in a couple of good assistants and IF (emphasis on IF) they get some vets in the locker room.

There are only a few head coaches in the NBA that these pampered millionaires have enough respect for to listen to. Jason Kidd would immediately command that respect with the Nets. The fans love him because he was the best PG in the league when he was there, he's got a ring and these guys were watching him when they were trying to make it into the league.
Call me crazy, but I just don't think that there are many coaches in the league that have a huge impact on the game and command the respect of their players.

Sure, Erik Spoelstra names the starting line-up and answers questions after the game, but when LeBron James needs a breather he takes a breather. When LeBron James is ready to come back into the game he comes back into the game. When Spoelstra tells LeBron James he needs to come out of the game before LeBron is ready, LeBron says he's not ready and stays in the game.

When Phil Jackson was coaching the Lakers it was understood that Kobe had to sit at the start of the fourth and if they did fine without him he may not go back into the game. When D'Antoni came to the Lakers, Kobe played every second of the game, took all the shots he wanted and got hurt before the playoffs.
zaga_fan Wrote:Mark Jackson took over the head coach job of the Warriors last year and did a great job with NO head coaching experience. They went from way under .500 to a legitimate playoff team.

Larry Bird was randomly named the head coach of the Pacers - coached for three years - made it to the eastern conference finals twice and the NBA finals once (with Mark Jackson as his point guard). Bird won coach of the year, ended up moving to the front office and then won executive of the year.

There are a lot of great coaches out there, but IMO this is a great move for the Nets IF (emphasis on IF) they bring in a couple of good assistants and IF (emphasis on IF) they get some vets in the locker room.

There are only a few head coaches in the NBA that these pampered millionaires have enough respect for to listen to. Jason Kidd would immediately command that respect with the Nets. The fans love him because he was the best PG in the league when he was there, he's got a ring and these guys were watching him when they were trying to make it into the league.

zaga_fan Wrote:Call me crazy, but I just don't think that there are many coaches in the league that have a huge impact on the game and command the respect of their players.

Sure, Erik Spoelstra names the starting line-up and answers questions after the game, but when LeBron James needs a breather he takes a breather. When LeBron James is ready to come back into the game he comes back into the game. When Spoelstra tells LeBron James he needs to come out of the game before LeBron is ready, LeBron says he's not ready and stays in the game.

When Phil Jackson was coaching the Lakers it was understood that Kobe had to sit at the start of the fourth and if they did fine without him he may not go back into the game. When D'Antoni came to the Lakers, Kobe played every second of the game, took all the shots he wanted and got hurt before the playoffs.

You are right, there are few coaches out there that have impacts on the game - Doc and Pop, come to mind. But what I don't understand is the logic (what the Nets were thinking) by bringing in a guy who has never been on the outside for any period of time, and bring them in and surround them with the experience. If you are surrounding Kidd with better experience, then why didn't you just hire that experience. Who knows, it may work out great, but there is not a similar comparison with Mark Jackson or Larry Bird, both who were away from the game as as either commentators (great way to learn the X's & O's) or as a front office assistant for at least five years before they ever stepped into a head coaching job. They got a much needed opportunity to learn how to coach X's and O's from a different perspective.

I'm not so sure the whole "Jason Kidd will be respected" situations will work all that great as well. It is much been publicized how good of friends Kidd and Williams are. How well with that respected friendship last when Williams fires up random 20 footers with 16 seconds on the shot clock?

Coaching in the NBA has not been about respect in 30 years! Coaching is ONLY about trust! In the NBA, players have to trust that their coach has the faculties to sit on the bench, call timeouts at the right time and make substitutions that fits the flow of the game, all with the ability of keeping the star players happy with their perceived role! I'm confident that the Nets owner Ivan Koloff was less worried about Kidds abilities to coach as he was to get the Nets on the cover of the NY Times with a splash of one of the NY/NJ all-time beloved NBA personality!
Stardust Wrote:You are right, there are few coaches out there that have impacts on the game - Doc and Pop, come to mind. But what I don't understand is the logic (what the Nets were thinking) by bringing in a guy who has never been on the outside for any period of time, and bring them in and surround them with the experience. If you are surrounding Kidd with better experience, then why didn't you just hire that experience. Who knows, it may work out great, but there is not a similar comparison with Mark Jackson or Larry Bird, both who were away from the game as as either commentators (great way to learn the X's & O's) or as a front office assistant for at least five years before they ever stepped into a head coaching job. They got a much needed opportunity to learn how to coach X's and O's from a different perspective.

I'm not so sure the whole "Jason Kidd will be respected" situations will work all that great as well. It is much been publicized how good of friends Kidd and Williams are. How well with that respected friendship last when Williams fires up random 20 footers with 16 seconds on the shot clock?

Coaching in the NBA has not been about respect in 30 years! Coaching is ONLY about trust! In the NBA, players have to trust that their coach has the faculties to sit on the bench, call timeouts at the right time and make substitutions that fits the flow of the game, all with the ability of keeping the star players happy with their perceived role! I'm confident that the Nets owner Ivan Koloff was less worried about Kidds abilities to coach as he was to get the Nets on the cover of the NY Times with a splash of one of the NY/NJ all-time beloved NBA personality!

This was as much of a deal for publicity as it is for anything else, probably more-so.

Kidd has basically been a player-coach for the last few years - the same goes for Kobe Bryant. A couple of years ago, Phil would let Kobe run portions of practices.

I just think that these guys that have led teams on the court for 30 years are fully capable of coaching a team. Not every player, the leaders on (and off) the court.

The Williams/Kidd relationship does worry me a little bit, especially since Deron Williams basically drove Jerry Sloan into retirement.

But if you look at Deron Williams, he is a guy that can run a Jason Kidd offense better than anyone else in the league IMO. He's a true PG with a little extra size and some offensive skills to match. How they handle themselves will be an indicator of how well this will work.
^ very well stated. I am not saying this can't work, but it is completely a crap shoot, or better said by you, a publicity stunt.