Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell County 2013
The Lakers are coming off their greatest season ever! This year's team has an opportunity to have another special year. The fourteen seniors that left last year will be missed, especially Britt, Mann and Williams. However their are 14 seniors this year that although may be less talented at the top (Britt) is a more solid group top to bottom. Much of our defense returns and the new starters were in the rotation last year. The offense will be led by Blake Ellis at quarterback and Evan Fletcher at runningback. We will need some guys to step up at reciever. There has been some changes in the coaching staff. Former Cardinal and Colonel Adam Ellis takes over as OC. Ellis has taken a leading role in the conditioning program and has taken it to a whole new level. As I have stated in other threads, I admit that our schedule is not the strongest and I worry that it may yet again hurt us down the road in the playoffs. Can't wait for the season to get here!
I dont believe htey will come close to undefeated season, this year ,but will chalenge for top of district that will be tougher top to bottom, with no garuntees Last year them boys were on a mission, just come up short of the ultimate goal. I think, lakers will probably go some where around 6and4 7and3,and a playoff win.
Absolutely no way that the Lakers lose more than two regular season games this year unless they get hit hard by the injury bug. I believe that this group will play with a chip on their shoulder with something to prove to people both inside and outside the county!
Lakers IMO go no worse than 9-1 in regular season. Should compete for at least region title again this year.
Jumper Dad Wrote:Lakers IMO go no worse than 9-1 in regular season. Should compete for at least region title again this year.

With a schedule like that... They should go undefeated. Then they will run into some problems come playoff time to the likes of Boyle Co and/ or Lexington Catholic.
FBfan4life Wrote:With a schedule like that... They should go undefeated. Then they will run into some problems come playoff time to the likes of Boyle Co and/ or Lexington Catholic.

I agree. Our schedule may not prepare us for the battles with the big boys in the playoffs. I hope our coaches both new and old will make changes and take some risk to make a better showing and perhaps even pull an upset or two.
FBfan4life Wrote:With a schedule like that... They should go undefeated. Then they will run into some problems come playoff time to the likes of Boyle Co and/ or Lexington Catholic.

Lex Cath has their way with you in the playoffs. No way you can be ready for better competition with that very poor schedule. Same thing happened last year and fans got upset when people said good record was due to poor schedule and predicted early exit from playoffs. Players will again get a false sence of how good they are due to poor schedule.
Jumper Dad Wrote:Lakers IMO go no worse than 9-1 in regular season. Should compete for at least region title again this year.
i am sorry i just dont see it most county schools just dont loose 14 senoirs and plan on not missing a beat,the talent that was lost from this team were real good but i could be wrong.
sstack Wrote:Lex Cath has their way with you in the playoffs. No way you can be ready for better competition with that very poor schedule. Same thing happened last year and fans got upset when people said good record was due to poor schedule and predicted early exit from playoffs. Players will again get a false sence of how good they are due to poor schedule.

I said the same thing last season SSTACK. The Highlands, Lex Cath, Boyle County schedules a tough non district opponents just to get them ready for district play and to go deeper in the playoffs. The results shows year in and year out, and those teams that schedule an early tough opponents, will likey go deeper again in the playoffs.
Knox by far has the toughest schedule of any team in the district, and I hope it does help them come playoffs, would have like to seen Russell co stepped up and got a tougher schedule this also.
Watched the team at the Campbellsville University 7 on 7 and big man challenge yesterday. We looked good at times but dropped way too many balls. Beat North Hardin and Campbellsville and lost to Male and Marshall. When you consider that we were playing with a transfer quarterback with only two days of practice with the team, and we were missing ours (and the district's) best reciever who is at Gov. School, and our starting TE all in all it was a pretty good day. At least we got to see a little football....kinda!
PreacherVol71 Wrote:When you consider that we were playing with a transfer quarterback with only two days of practice with the team, and we were missing ours (and the district's) best reciever who is at Gov. School, and our starting TE all in all it was a pretty good day. At least we got to see a little football....kinda!

Are you saying that Blake isn't playing QB anymore and there's a transfer starting at QB?
^^
That is a distinct possibility. He is a 6'3 200 pounder with some athleticism. From what I have seen so far he can make a lot of the throws you would want a Qb to make. IMHO if we can leave Blake at reciever it makes us a better team. Nothing has been promised to anyone. I believe our coaches will put the players on the field and in the positions that give us the best chance to win ballgames!
Will Russell county be at Lindsey Wilson saturday
Yes
I have come to respect the Lakers a ton over the last couple of years. They are well coached and talented. I look forward to our trip there this year and know the Panthers will be working hard to serve up one of those losses. As always, that will be a tall order.
We have come to respect the Panthers as well and expect another whale of a game again this year. Good luck to all the members of 4A district 6 as you start the season. Let's all rack up some wins and then settle district in a few months!
What time does it start tomorrow?
Not sure....boys are supposed to be at the locker room at 7:30. I am assuming it will start around 9 or 9:30
How did it go yesterday at Lindsey?,I actaully went about 10 ,but it was so hot and I had small children with me so we left I think they were finishing up playing Wayne county when we left.
Without Ellis and Coffey we struggled. The boys had four hard practices this week, I think they were wore out. We never do very good in passing tournaments though. Of course it is such a different game, teams were playing their linebackers 15 yards off the ball. Also many of the plays that hurt our defense were plays that couldn't or wouldn't happen in a real game.
That make it tough when linebacker plays 15yds off the ball.Confusedinglepar
Hey preacher when do we go to camp ,and where?
Next Tuesday
We are going back to Tennessee Tech
Good practice tonight for the Lakers. Both quarterbacks looked good! Lakers should have lots of options this fall, and I expect them to take advantage of them. Can't wait for the season to start! Should be a fun year!
I think the lakers will have a good season,I dont feel like there is near the preasure of the last two seasons, and that might just be the motivation we need. Still alot of talent around here.I think the preasure is on Knox, big this season, I do think we beat em again for district title again,probably in a nail biter.
rc58 Wrote:I think the lakers will have a good season,I dont feel like there is near the preasure of the last two seasons, and that might just be the motivation we need. Still alot of talent around here.I think the preasure is on Knox, big this season, I do think we beat em again for district title again,probably in a nail biter.

IMO I think you lost more talent than you think, britt you lose the speed, Mann you lose the heart and soul, and Williamson you lose field position. Those three you can't just replace them plus how many other key players did you lose??
Where as KC lost one lineman on offense one on defense a Qb and Canady, but gist is just as good in the backfield. So I would count on hanging that banner just yet. Plus by the time district play starts the panthers will be battle test and ready to go. With the tough schedule they have they will be ready for a fight, but can Russell say the same thing with there non district schedule?
If everyone is healthy the Lakers will have the biggest, strongest line in recent history. They will probably start four seniors and a junior. Three seniors and a junior will start on the defensive line. Our linebackers will be two seniors and a junior. Our secondary will be led by three seniors and a junior. These young men have played in and won a lot of ballgames. They will be prepared for whatever the season throws at them. I think this bunch is hungry to prove something to a lot of people. Of course so is every other team in our district. In reality my honest opinion or yours doesn't mean squat but it sure is fun to share them. It is only a month to kickoff!
PreacherVol71 Wrote:. I think this bunch is hungry to prove something to a lot of people. Of course so is every other team in our district. In reality my honest opinion or yours doesn't mean squat but it sure is fun to share them. It is only a month to kickoff!

Your 100% right your and my opinion don't mean squat! That's why they play the games... All you can ask for is everyone leave all on the field and let the chips fall where they may.
^
And if I have learned anything about our two programs that is exactly what I expect both teams to do! Good Luck and see you in a few months!