Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 15th Region Predictions
I didn't get to watch as many games this past year as I have in previous seasons but I thought it would be fun to get some chatter started about the 2014 season. So, I will post my best educated guess Preseason Top 5. Some teams lost a lot and some lost very little. I think the region will be wide open next year.
1) Johnson Central
2) Lawrence County
3) Belfry
4) Allen Central
5) Paintsville

Feel free to agree or disagree! As always just the opinion of an outsider looking in!
I thought this thread might get some banter going for the offseason when I started it. Where are all the 57th fans and Pikeville fans? Bueller?
I would put paintsville 3. After that up in air. Pikeville and pburg be top 7 or 8 teams. No team will be unbeatable. With exception of couple great to really good arms pitching in region will be young. Should be fun year.
Paintsville returns EVERYONE with the exceptions of Burchett and Pelphrey (Also Vanhoose injured 1st game of season).

What everyone DIDN'T see. Was who all was injured last season.
La. Daniels - Elbow (DH Only)
Phelps - Shoulder (OF,P) SPEED
Rice - ACL (IN,P)

The Tigers also return their ENTIRE pitching staff, which was anchored by two Freshman, plus the two above (Who I might add are now FR & So). So IMO, not a bad season last year with a bunch of FR and SO!

Hope this season is even better!

Isn't the 57th at LC this season?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:Paintsville returns EVERYONE with the exceptions of Burchett and Pelphrey (Also Vanhoose injured 1st game of season).

What everyone DIDN'T see. Was who all was injured last season.
La. Daniels - Elbow (DH Only)
Phelps - Shoulder (OF,P) SPEED
Rice - ACL (IN,P)

The Tigers also return their ENTIRE pitching staff, which was anchored by two Freshman, plus the two above (Who I might add are now FR & So). So IMO, not a bad season last year with a bunch of FR and SO!

Hope this season is even better!

Isn't the 57th at LC this season?

Well, maybe I underestimated Paintsville! They could be preseason #3. The 57th will be tough as always!!!! I still think JC and LC are the favorites for a region title. How about a couple dark horses? Sheldon Clark and Pikeville? They both have a quality arm.(Seems so strange to call Pikeville a dark horse) Hope we can keep some chatter going during the offseason. Baseball is America's game after all!
Prestonsburg still returns Grant Anderson, Jarin Hall, Hunter Brown, Reece Ison, and Aaron Foley.

Ison had one helluva summer and so did Grant Anderson.

Prestonsburg only one starting pitcher in Hall though. So someone will have to step up. I'd say Ison will pitch some. Not really sure who the other starters will be.

Should be another exciting season in the 15th.
^Pburg took a hit with the losses from last season. May start out a little rough. But, Coach Simpkins will have them competing, when it's all said and done.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:^Pburg took a hit with the losses from last season. May start out a little rough. But, Coach Simpkins will have them competing, when it's all said and done.

How did they take a hit? They won region and went on to win a game a state.
I think prestonsburg is a top 5 team. They proved themselves last year by winning the region and a game at state. They returned Grant Anderson, Jarin Hall, Hunter Brown, and have a good arm in Travis powers, and have Ison, Rowe, and tucker as freshman this year. Not taking any respect away from my team though. I think pikeville is young but still a top 5 contender.
Paintsville will be in the hunt for sure this year.I really like the Prestonsburg team.They had a great run last year and seem very well coached.
TroubleWithTheCurve Wrote:How did they take a hit? They won region and went on to win a game a state.

Please read my statement again.

When you loose players like Stapleton, Williams and Griffith. That's taking a hit.

I know how they did last season. Who do you think posted the results and gave them props every time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:Please read my statement again.

When you loose players like Stapleton, Williams and Griffith. That's taking a hit.

I know how they did last season. Who do you think posted the results and gave them props every time.

Some of these guys don't understand it do they? Prestonsburg had a great run last year. However, they lost two of their studs on the mound and one of those was also their best hitter. Sure Anderson and Brown returns, but Stapleton was the key cog in that lineup. They will be respectful this year, but I don't see them being better than LC, Paintsville, or Johnson Central. Wow. How about that. The 57th again should be loaded, but only 2 of these will make it to region. But the good ole boys down south on US 23 will have a cake walk in to the regional tournament again, some not even having to win a game in district tournament to get there. That's a shame.
If lc can find somebody to replace clark rice at catcher they will be the team to beat in the region. Their infield is solid with keesee at short, turner at second, cavins and cloverdsle at the corners, bailey, lambert, wallen, salyers, for the outfield and the return of morgan obrian after missing all of last year with acl injury suffered last year in football. They looked real good this summer but struggled at catcher. Or we may just spoiled at lc we have had a strig of really good catcher with timmy, jordan, and clark all going on to play at the level.
dawg fan Wrote:If lc can find somebody to replace clark rice at catcher they will be the team to beat in the region. Their infield is solid with keesee at short, turner at second, cavins and cloverdsle at the corners, bailey, lambert, wallen, salyers, for the outfield and the return of morgan obrian after missing all of last year with acl injury suffered last year in football. They looked real good this summer but struggled at catcher. Or we may just spoiled at lc we have had a strig of really good catcher with timmy, jordan, and clark all going on to play at the level.

Very well could be, not saying they are not. But from what I saw in the summer league final tournament, that with all 8 of their projected next year starters on the field, and with Wallen on the mound, they were beaten by Johnson Central (minus 6 returning starters, who were replaced by all 7th and 8th graders) and with a kid on the mound who has logged exactly zero innings of varsity baseball up to this point in his career.
Earlier in the summer with a pretty good JC squad on the field, LC shut them out 5-0 with Cantrell on the mound. Lost a 1 run ballgame to JC later in the summer tournament. Looks like two pretty even teams from what I have seen. The 57th is always a tough district to come out of in baseball. 2014 will be no exception.
Hey are they six of the starters that got smoked by sheldon clark in the district last year. :biglmao:
dawg fan Wrote:Hey are they six of the starters that got smoked by sheldon clark in the district last year. :biglmao:

Might have been. Seems like it was probably some of the ones who blew LC out in the two regular season games last year too.

Fact is whomever it was that was on the field that particular summer day proved to be all that was needed.........

Now how funny was that?
LawCo131 Wrote:Earlier in the summer with a pretty good JC squad on the field, LC shut them out 5-0 with Cantrell on the mound. Lost a 1 run ballgame to JC later in the summer tournament. Looks like two pretty even teams from what I have seen. The 57th is always a tough district to come out of in baseball. 2014 will be no exception.

Well if you call one team playing with basicly 7th-8th-9th grade substitutes, while the other team played with their projected starters pretty much even, then I'll take your word on it.....

But I will agree with you that it should be a competitive district. It always is.
Anyone heard any updates on the Daniels kid from Paintsville? Will he be ready for baseball season? Without him on the field I would think that Paintsville's chance at a 15th Region title will take a hit. I hate when any kid gets hurt, I wish him a speedy recovery!
How funny was it watching lc get that district championship on your field last year.
dawg fan Wrote:How funny was it watching lc get that district championship on your field last year.

Hmmm, well lets see now, I would say it was just about as funny as you watching a bunch of 7th and 8th graders beat LC's starting varsity with their ace pitcher on the mound....
Bob Seger Wrote:Hmmm, well lets see now, I would say it was just about as funny as you watching a bunch of 7th and 8th graders beat LC's starting varsity with their ace pitcher on the mound....

not LC's ace. and are you really comparing summer ball to a district tournament? that's desperate.
They all lined up on the field and played a game with the exact players that I described. I just mentioned who played for each team and told the story of what happened, and that's all I said. And if you notice the very first sentence I said when your buddy said they were the team to beat in the 15th region. This is what I said, and I quote, "Very well could be, not saying that they are not".......Is that not what I said?:eyeroll:......Show me the desperate part here, and please show the parts that are untrue, and what facts about the outcome, who played, etc., etc., etc., and then show me the parts where I said any disrespect towards anyone....Bottom line here, did Lawrence play their 8 projected starters, with who has been touted as being their ace, and did JC play just about all 7th and 8th graders?.....The answer is yes to both questions.

So Wallen is not the ace now? Since when?.....That's all that's been told for what, 3 years now...He threw in the #1 spot all last year...So he looses and now you throw him under the bus?:Clap:

You people are absolute nuts down there....Said for years it's gotta be something in the water. But then again, we're talking about a guy here that can watch someone throw a baseball and tell you exactly how fast they are throwing it because he has "common sense"....

Oh and by the way, the Blanton kid from Magoffin threw just exactly where I said he did, didn't he....:biggrin:
Bob Seger Wrote:They all lined up on the field and played a game with the exact players that I described. I just mentioned who played for each team and told the story of what happened, and that's all I said. And if you notice the very first sentence I said when your buddy said they were the team to beat in the 15th region. This is what I said, and I quote, "Very well could be, not saying that they are not".......Is that not what I said?:eyeroll:......Show me the desperate part here, and please show the parts that are untrue, and what facts about the outcome, who played, etc., etc., etc., and then show me the parts where I said any disrespect towards anyone....Bottom line here, did Lawrence play their 8 projected starters, with who has been touted as being their ace, and did JC play just about all 7th and 8th graders?.....The answer is yes to both questions.

So Wallen is not the ace now? Since when?.....That's all that's been told for what, 3 years now...He threw in the #1 spot all last year...So he looses and now you throw him under the bus?:Clap:

You people are absolute nuts down there....Said for years it's gotta be something in the water. But then again, we're talking about a guy here that can watch someone throw a baseball and tell you exactly how fast they are throwing it because he has "common sense"....

Oh and by the way, the Blanton kid from Magoffin threw just exactly where I said he did, didn't he....:biggrin:

nobody knows if that was the projected starting lineup or not. it is summer ball. gee whiz. i know johnson central has had a long off-season after getting bounced by sheldon clark in districts, but chill out.

the lefty stevens was LC's ace last year. no doubt about it. and i don't get where you are saying that wallen threw in the #1 "spots". stevens threw in the regional semifinal. pretty sure that was a huge game where a #1 would throw. as for this year it may or may not be wallen as the #1. they also have a junior (cantrell) that had a great year and made the sophomore showcase and sophomore who was outstanding last year as a freshman (bailey).

as for the magoffin kid. ok, he touched 86mph. he didn't work there. he was 80-82 constantly. LC spanked him around rather easily the past 2 seasons.

oh, and things are going great "down here". even though we are NORTH of Paintsville...Confusednicker:
lchsalumnus Wrote:nobody knows if that was the projected starting lineup or not. it is summer ball. gee whiz. i know johnson central has had a long off-season after getting bounced by sheldon clark in districts, but chill out.

the lefty stevens was LC's ace last year. no doubt about it. and i don't get where you are saying that wallen threw in the #1 "spots". stevens threw in the regional semifinal. pretty sure that was a huge game where a #1 would throw. as for this year it may or may not be wallen as the #1. they also have a junior (cantrell) that had a great year and made the sophomore showcase and sophomore who was outstanding last year as a freshman (bailey).
as for the magoffin kid. ok, he touched 86mph. he didn't work there. he was 80-82 constantly. LC spanked him around rather easily the past 2 seasons.

oh, and things are going great "down here". even though we are NORTH of Paintsville...Confusednicker:

It will be the the starting lineup for next year, and you know it, I know it , and Travis knows it. That's why they were out there. This was not just a summer game and you know that too. This was the semi-finals of the tournament winners bracket and you can bet he is going to have his best players on the field. Nice effort with the spin though.....lol

Yeah, and actually I was at the showcase and saw Cantrell....Did you?

Touched 86????? Worked 81-82???....Your really full of it tonight, Bub. Try topping out at 91 and consistently 86-89,....Guess your "Common Sense Goggles" were fogged up that day....Confusednicker:
Bob Seger Wrote:It will be the the starting lineup for next year, and you know it, I know it , and Travis knows it. That's why they were out there. This was not just a summer game and you know that too. This was the semi-finals of the tournament winners bracket and you can bet he is going to have his best players on the field. Nice effort with the spin though.....lol

Yeah, and actually I was at the showcase and saw Cantrell....Did you?

Touched 86????? Worked 81-82???....Your really full of it tonight, Bub. Try topping out at 91 and consistently 86-89,....Guess your "Common Sense Goggles" were fogged up that day....Confusednicker:

what? because cantrell doesn't throw mid-80's he isn't or can't be a #1? and "bub", sorry but the kid from magoffin could throw hard but it wasn't no stinking 91 mph. not against lawrence it wasn't. now the rockets off the lawrence bats were over a 100 mph...Confusednicker: maybe that's what your gun is reading?

lawrence has 14 or 15 guys fighting for 8 spots right now. they are going to be really deep this year. nobody knows the lineup yet. and no, not even travis. they have been working out 5 days a week from what i've been told. going after it hard. very nice looking team. more athletic than they have ever been before. some guys turned heads this summer and may get in the mix somewhere on the field. a group of sophomores that are pretty dang good.

dont' be surprised if the best player in the region this year is the SS for LC. kid is a stud! also heard they got a transfer from a team in the 15th. not sure who or what team, but it is true. i just haven't learned a name yet. pretty good size kid.
lchsalumnus Wrote:what? because cantrell doesn't throw mid-80's he isn't or can't be a #1? and "bub", sorry but the kid from magoffin could throw hard but it wasn't no stinking 91 mph. not against lawrence it wasn't. now the rockets off the lawrence bats were over a 100 mph...Confusednicker: maybe that's what your gun is reading?

lawrence has 14 or 15 guys fighting for 8 spots right now. they are going to be really deep this year. nobody knows the lineup yet. and no, not even travis. they have been working out 5 days a week from what i've been told. going after it hard. very nice looking team. more athletic than they have ever been before. some guys turned heads this summer and may get in the mix somewhere on the field. a group of sophomores that are pretty dang good.

dont' be surprised if the best player in the region this year is the SS for LC. kid is a stud! also heard they got a transfer from a team in the 15th. not sure who or what team, but it is true. i just haven't learned a name yet. pretty good size kid.

Actually it was 91 more than once my friend....

I guess you'll get a few folks to buy into some of this stuff, oh mighty "spinmaster". But we both know better though, don't we..:popcorn:
By the way, not dissing anyone else, but the best player in the region plays shortstop at PBurg.
Bob Seger Wrote:Actually it was 91 more than once my friend....

I guess you'll get a few folks to buy into some of this stuff, oh mighty "spinmaster". But we both know better though, don't we..:popcorn:

i was at a few games that he pitched. saw a scout's gun. it hit 86 mph once. constant 82 rest of the game. sorry.

the SS for Pburg is really good. however just because you were great last year doesn't mean you will be this year or that someone else won't rise up and surprise everyone. in fact lawrence has 2 sophomores that may be up there in the top 3 players in the region this year. the SS and 2B. if this team can be good behind the plate, and i believe they will with Cantrell kid doing most of the duties, they will win a lot of games. a lot of people forget about the cantrell kid being a catcher. he's been behind rice since his 8th grade year and now he should get the job.
lchsalumnus Wrote:i was at a few games that he pitched. saw a scout's gun. it hit 86 mph once. constant 82 rest of the game. sorry.

the SS for Pburg is really good. however just because you were great last year doesn't mean you will be this year or that someone else won't rise up and surprise everyone. in fact lawrence has 2 sophomores that may be up there in the top 3 players in the region this year. the SS and 2B. if this team can be good behind the plate, and i believe they will with Cantrell kid doing most of the duties, they will win a lot of games. a lot of people forget about the cantrell kid being a catcher. he's been behind rice since his 8th grade year and now he should get the job.

Just kills you that I was right doesn't it?....Looks like you'll do and say anything to twist it around, and try to save face.:Clap:...I know who was at the games, who was interested, and all that stuff probably waaaay waaaay more than what you do.Confusedhh:

There is no comparison in the caliber of anyone else in this region and the PBurg short stop as far as a position player. It's not even close or debatable!!!....You probably cant comprehend that he is working just as hard as anybody in the off season as well.....And I can tell you for sure there are kids at JC that are too...You seem to have a mind block that just because someone at Lawrence does it that they are the only ones that do........Got news for you, there is a great big world out there besides what exists and goes on in that water contaminated water shed of where the Tug meets the Levisa.Confusednicker:

So Cantrell is going to be the everyday behind the plate and pitch in the #1 slot?...Confusednicker: You're a real treasure alum....lol