Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military ousts Morsy in Egypt coup
Egyptian President Mohamed Morsy, elected just a year ago, has been ousted from power, Gen. Abdel-Fatah El-Sisi just said in a televised address.
El-Sisi, Egypt's top military officer, announced that President Mohamed Morsy was no longer the leader of the country and warned the military would respond firmly to any violence. He also outlined a political road map for the country to follow.
Anti-Morsy demonstrators in Cairo's Tahrir Square, listening to the address, roared their approval when El-Sisi finished.
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/03/egy...?hpt=hp_t1
Must be the Arab Summer
If that had been the Americans giving an ultimatum to Morsi instead of the Egyptian Army, that deadline would have just rolled on by and nothing would have happened. Oh, there'd have been a secret yet transparent meeting at the White House to adopt the proper spin. So as to dodge responsibility and figure out how to blame George W. but, nothing would have been done. :biggrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^What right would America have to give a sovereign country an ultimatim to oust their leader?
TheRealVille Wrote:^What right would America have to give a sovereign country an ultimatim to oust their leader?
You have a very short and very convenient memory. Do the names Qaddafi, Mubarak, or Assad ring any bells?

[INDENT]
Quote:[URL="http://www.voanews.com/content/obama-tells-mubarak-that-transition-must-begin-now-115068399/134370.html"]Saying Egypt has known many moments of transformation in its thousands of years of history, President Obama said the voices of its people "tell us that this is one of those moments."

Egyptians, he said, must be the ones to chart the way forward. "It is not the role of any other country to determine Egypt's leaders. Only the Egyptian people can do that. What is clear, and what I indicated tonight to President Mubarak, is my believe that an orderly transition must be meaningful, it must peaceful, and it must begin now," he said.[/URL]
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]
Quote:President Obama demanded Thursday that the embattled Libyan leader, Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi, “step down from power and leave” immediately, and said he would consider a full range of options to stem the bloodshed there, though he did not commit the United States to any direct military action.
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]
Quote:President Obama released a written statement Thursday morning calling for the resignation of Syrian President Bashar Assad, condemning "the disgraceful attacks on Syrian civilians," and issuing an executive order imposing new sanctions on the Syrian government.
[/INDENT]
TheRealVille Wrote:^What right would America have to give a sovereign country an ultimatim to oust their leader?

Hoot Gibson Wrote:You have a very short and very convenient memory. Do the names Qaddafi, Mubarak, or Assad ring any bells?

[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]

Not only suffers from convenient memory loss, all the rage now that the Hill perfected the fake concussion, but seems to lack the ability to recognize rhetorical statements.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Is Barry again guilty of "leading" from behind? Or, is he so busy with his family on their $100,000,000.00 vacation that he is no where to be found? I guess it is kind of like sleeping through the murder of Amb. Stevens to be well rested for a campaign trip to Las Vegas.

It is probably all the fault of GW, anyway.
TheRealThing Wrote:Not only suffers from convenient memory loss, all the rage now that the Hill perfected the fake concussion, but seems to lack the ability to recognize rhetorical statements.
I think that a willing suspension of disbelief is a prerequisite to becoming a liberal Democrat. The DNC pass phrase is "I forgot." Confusednicker:
I think we could all learn something from Egypt here....
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I think we could all learn something from Egypt here....

I guarantee you we could. At bare minimum we could rediscover something here. Talk is cheap and that's all we get out this bunch presently in charge. Unfortunately for the sake of world perception, no stage is too big for these guys from which to bloviate, nor no subject too unfamiliar for them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You have a very short and very convenient memory. Do the names Qaddafi, Mubarak, or Assad ring any bells?

[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]

I'm not a defender of Morsy, just asking questions on why you think we have any business in Egypt's business. Was Morsy oppressing anyone? Was he treating them inhumanely? What gives the US the right to interfere in a government that was democratically elected?

I don't think we have one bit of business in their governmental dealings.
TheRealThing Wrote:I guarantee you we could. At bare minimum we could rediscover something here. Talk is cheap and that's all we get out this bunch presently in charge. Unfortunately for the sake of world perception, no stage is too big for these guys from which to bloviate, nor no subject too unfamiliar for them.
Are you just "talking", or are you gathering up a "musket"?
TheRealVille Wrote:I'm not a defender of Morsy, just asking questions on why you think we have any business in Egypt's business. Was Morsy oppressing anyone? Was he treating them inhumanely? What gives the US the right to interfere in a government that was democratically elected?

I don't think we have one bit of business in their governmental dealings.
I didn't think that we had any business meddling in the internal affairs of Libya, Egypt, or Syria before. I feel the same way now. Mubarak was an ally and the Egyptian Army has kept the country at peace with Israel for decades. Pulling the rug out from under Mubarak was the same mistake that Jimmy Carter made in the case of the Shah of Iran.

I don't recall you criticizing Obama for his vocal and material support of the "Arab spring." Did I miss those posts?
I don't give a rat's rear about Egypt, or who rules it. I also don't give a rat's rear about any "arab spring". I don't give a rat's rear who runs Egypt.
TheRealVille Wrote:Are you just "talking", or are you gathering up a "musket"?

Your boy up in DC is the one talking again. Once more running his mouth about what he expects to see transpire out of the upheaval in Egypt. I mean, I can see why, all those Egyptians hung on every word he said the last time they threw out a dictator/ruler and here he is again.

I served my country and frankly I am proud of what I accomplished during my military career. But that is typical fare, a guy who never served, never met a woman he wouldn't like to vote for, slamming a veteran who fought honorably for his country. How many times do want me to take care of business for you?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealVille Wrote:I don't give a rat's rear about Egypt, or who rules it. I also don't give a rat's rear about any "arab spring". I don't give a rat's rear who runs Egypt.

Well, your hero is all over it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealVille Wrote:I don't give a rat's rear about Egypt, or who rules it. I also don't give a rat's rear about any "arab spring". I don't give a rat's rear who runs Egypt.
So, was Obama wrong in calling for regime changes in each of those countries? Was he wrong to involve our air force in Libya? Was he wrong to arm Libyan rebels and is he wrong for continuing to arm Syrian rebels?
TheRealThing Wrote:If that had been the Americans giving an ultimatum to Morsi instead of the Egyptian Army, that deadline would have just rolled on by and nothing would have happened. Oh, there'd have been a secret yet transparent meeting at the White House to adopt the proper spin. So as to dodge responsibility and figure out how to blame George W. but, nothing would have been done. :biggrin:

or we could have invaded there country and killed hundred's of lives and spent trillons of dollars
Remember how Obama mused during the 2008 campaign that Muslims around the world would like the US better with him in White House because his middle name was "Hussein?"

[Image: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SVY5QZCucwc/Ud...pt-003.jpg][Image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ywpwtf0tt0c/Ud...pt-050.jpg]

More here.
vector Wrote:or we could have invaded there country and killed hundred's of lives and spent trillons of dollars

You liberals really do have a problem keeping up, don't you? My post was intended solely to make a pointed contrast between making a threat that one has no intention of backing up. Or, as in the case of General Abdel-Fattah al-Sissi, doing exactly what you say. He gave Morsi 24 hours to comply or else. True to his word, 24 hours later Morsi was history.

Profs, even honorary profs, love to hear themselves lecture and instruct folks. Our Prof-in-Chief, thinks his charter is to instruct the world. He's gonna talk the world into being a better place, lol. al-Sissi on the other hand shows the marked difference between yapping and doing.

At no point did I suggest we should invade Egypt. But, the nimrods that have governed so naively in the past four plus years, might have wanted to consider the ramifications of losing our rights to navigate the Suez Canal before we encouraged a coup de tat which, favored sworn enemies of America and Israel. An outcome which would send the price of gasoline out of reach for most people. The tree huggers have been hoping against hope at this propect since the overthrow of Mubarak destabilized the region. You no doubt don't realize this but, though the government seemingly has everything else covered that folks want, they won't buy them gasoline. These are the results of abdicating our sovereignty and our role of leadership in the world.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:You liberals really do have a problem keeping up, don't you? My post was intended solely to make a pointed contrast between making a threat that one has no intention of backing up. Or, as in the case of General Abdel-Fattah al-Sissi, doing exactly what you say. He gave Morsi 24 hours to comply or else. True to his word, 24 hours later Morsi was history.

Profs, even honorary profs, love to hear themselves lecture and instruct folks. Our Prof-in-Chief, thinks his charter is to instruct the world. He's gonna talk the world into being a better place, lol. al-Sissi on the other hand shows the marked difference between yapping and doing.

At no point did I suggest we should invade Egypt. But, the nimrods that have governed so naively in the past four plus years, might have wanted to consider the ramifications of losing our rights to navigate the Suez Canal before we encouraged a coup de tat which, favored sworn enemies of America and Israel. An outcome which would send the price of gasoline out of reach for most people. The tree huggers have been hoping against hope at this propect since the overthrow of Mubarak destabilized the region. You no doubt don't realize this but, though the government seemingly has everything else covered that folks want, they won't buy them gasoline. These are the results of abdicating our sovereignty and our role of leadership in the world.

we need to stay the hell out of there
^You know the party that wants to save unborn "babies", so they can grow up to be dead soldiers, are willing to send our guys right back over there.
^?
Unlike Libya or Syria Egypt does have significance in the region . The Suez Canal must remain open for free passage, Egypt since the late 70's have help maintain Israel's right to exist, not to mention the cultural significance of the place.

But no we do not need to send troops nor aid to the region.
vector Wrote:we need to stay the hell out of there

It's possible that you could be wrong about that. Has it ever occurred to you that the US was on top of the wave crest until she started shrinking back from her responsibilities? That coupled with all the empty rhetoric from the leader of the free world has truly reduced our national image among the nations from the world's premier super power to the world's premier super crybaby.

So, what would you say to construction of the Keystone Pipeline if using the Suez is no longer an option for the importation of all the foreign oil we buy?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealVille Wrote:^You know the party that wants to save unborn "babies", so they can grow up to be dead soldiers, are willing to send our guys right back over there.

Please explain what you mean by this and how it relates to anything anyone has said in this thread.
TheRealVille Wrote:^You know the party that wants to save unborn "babies", so they can grow up to be dead soldiers, are willing to send our guys right back over there.

So, you and vector, if there is even a distinction, are actually going to mount yet another anti war discourse where no call for war to any extent whatever, has even been suggested? I said there is a difference between al-Sissi (a doer) and the predictably hollow rhetoric of this president (a talker). I'll hand it to you. You're doing the best you can with the hand liberals have been dealt.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Remember how Obama mused during the 2008 campaign that Muslims around the world would like the US better with him in White House because his middle name was "Hussein?"

[Image: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SVY5QZCucwc/Ud...pt-003.jpg][Image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ywpwtf0tt0c/Ud...pt-050.jpg]

More here.

wow.
Didnt see that on the news. Go figure.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:Please explain what you mean by this and how it relates to anything anyone has said in this thread.

TheRealThing Wrote:It's possible that you could be wrong about that. Has it ever occurred to you that the US was on top of the wave crest until she started shrinking back from her responsibilities? That coupled with all the empty rhetoric from the leader of the free world has truly reduced our national image among the nations from the world's premier super power to the world's premier super crybaby.

So, what would you say to construction of the Keystone Pipeline if using the Suez is no longer an option for the importation of all the foreign oil we buy?
This country should never find itself on the same side as radical Muslims, whether they are "democratically elected" or not. We have had relatively good relations with the Egyptian military for many years and instead of celebrating the "Arab Spring," and throwing money at the Muslim Brotherhood, Obama should have kept a low profile and focused on staying on good terms with the Egyptian military until it could help return a more rational group of people to power. To Obama, the popular uprising against the brutal Muslim Brotherhood has been a bad thing. It even prompted a high level meeting of cabinet members - the kind that he was too busy to convene when our diplomats in Libya were attacked.