9.Betsy Layne
10.Belfry
11.Lawrence County
12.Pike County Central
13.Phelps
14.South Floyd
15.Prestonsburg
16.Piarist
Do you all really think PCCHS is going to be that bad? I think that they mey finish in at least the top 10 in the 15th.
Pike Central lost too many players. New coach and every other teams have a lot of returning players,
Magoffin at the top. Sounds like a winner to me
FrozenColonel Wrote:Do you all really think PCCHS is going to be that bad? I think that they mey finish in at least the top 10 in the 15th.
I agree with pugsley. New head coach, too many young players and literally no offense returning from last year. Could be a long year for the Lady Hawks. Also, unless i've missed it somewhere along the way, they have very little size.
I have heard that they are small just recently and also that they only have one senior and a handful of juniors. This could mean it will be a few years until PCCHS can become competitive in the mountains again. I was hoping to be able to see them shock the mountains, I guess we can pray that they at least have a healthy season and that they end up with a .500+ season. Future looks bright, maybe?
FrozenColonel Wrote:I have heard that they are small just recently and also that they only have one senior and a handful of juniors. This could mean it will be a few years until PCCHS can become competitive in the mountains again. I was hoping to be able to see them shock the mountains, I guess we can pray that they at least have a healthy season and that they end up with a .500+ season. Future looks bright, maybe?
I also hope for an injury free season for PCCHS. I have been told they have new JV and Freshmen girls coaches in place. I was told they have already cut several high school girls to make room for 6th and 7th graders? If this is true, it will be several years before they are relevent again. I have never understood why, you take kids they have never won anything at the middle school level and put them at the high school level. I'm not knocking the kids, but the coaches. Unless you have Lebron James type talent, you need to stay where you are. An average 6th, 7th or 8th grader should never be playing at the high school level, unless there is an injury issue or numbers issue. I guess I should have said Cameron Justice rather than Lebron James earlier, he would better apply to this area. He did DOMINATE in middle school and was physically ready, most are not.
sprucepinetiger Wrote:I also hope for an injury free season for PCCHS. I have been told they have new JV and Freshmen girls coaches in place. I was told they have already cut several high school girls to make room for 6th and 7th graders? If this is true, it will be several years before they are relevent again. I have never understood why, you take kids they have never won anything at the middle school level and put them at the high school level. I'm not knocking the kids, but the coaches. Unless you have Lebron James type talent, you need to stay where you are. An average 6th, 7th or 8th grader should never be playing at the high school level, unless there is an injury issue or numbers issue. I guess I should have said Cameron Justice rather than Lebron James earlier, he would better apply to this area. He did DOMINATE in middle school and was physically ready, most are not.

Sounds like the new coach using same plan as Tammy Tussey and Steven Butcher. Worked pretty well for them (i.e 4 regional titles). Lowest numbers of girls players at PCCHS in school history due to former coach not working with the young kids.
I'm betting he doesn't stay around long anyway.
Salimander Wrote:Sounds like the new coach using same plan as Tammy Tussey and Steven Butcher. Worked pretty well for them (i.e 4 regional titles). Lowest numbers of girls players at PCCHS in school history due to former coach not working with the young kids.

I guess only time will tell. It's just hard to figure with a school as big as Pike Central, that you would have to go to the 6th, 7th and 8th grades to get players. :HitWall:
Fromthebleachers Wrote:I'm betting he doesn't stay around long anyway.
I heard from the beginning that he is just waiting for the boys job to open up next year. Guess we will have to wait and see if that's true.
sprucepinetiger Wrote:I also hope for an injury free season for PCCHS. I have been told they have new JV and Freshmen girls coaches in place. I was told they have already cut several high school girls to make room for 6th and 7th graders? If this is true, it will be several years before they are relevent again. I have never understood why, you take kids they have never won anything at the middle school level and put them at the high school level. I'm not knocking the kids, but the coaches. Unless you have Lebron James type talent, you need to stay where you are. An average 6th, 7th or 8th grader should never be playing at the high school level, unless there is an injury issue or numbers issue. I guess I should have said Cameron Justice rather than Lebron James earlier, he would better apply to this area. He did DOMINATE in middle school and was physically ready, most are not.

The reason that many coaches go down to the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade is because there is a lack of talent that tries out and/or sticks around. I heard that they just lost their best ball handler to East Ridge, too. If a high school lacks the number of talented girls they have to see of the middle school girls are worth trying out. If a 7th or 8th grader can produce more than the 9, 10, 11, or 12th grader then they need to be on the team and the other girls should be cut. You take the top 15-20 no matter what grade they are in. Just because a player is in a higher grade does not give them first priority over playing time. Plus girls are more likely to play up more than boys are due to the physical development is more similar between 13-16 year old girls as opposed to 13-16 yo boys.
But you are right about needing exceptional talent to play up in most scenarios, but PC is in dire need of talent. Heard through the grapevine that there are only 2 girls that could be reliable players
FrozenColonel Wrote:But you are right about needing exceptional talent to play up in most scenarios, but PC is in dire need of talent. Heard through the grapevine that there are only 2 girls that could be reliable players
I would say out of the 6th and 7th grades at Mullins and Johns Creek, there are 3 girls who, if any, should receive limited playing time at the Freshmen level. No higher. Reason being, when these girls play against the Dorton's, Shelby Valley's and Belfry's, they struggle. Why do they struggle, because those other teams are just physically bigger, stronger and quicker. Don't think it's going to get any better when they're facing Jv or Varsity talent.
FrozenColonel Wrote:The reason that many coaches go down to the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade is because there is a lack of talent that tries out and/or sticks around. I heard that they just lost their best ball handler to East Ridge, too. If a high school lacks the number of talented girls they have to see of the middle school girls are worth trying out. If a 7th or 8th grader can produce more than the 9, 10, 11, or 12th grader then they need to be on the team and the other girls should be cut. You take the top 15-20 no matter what grade they are in. Just because a player is in a higher grade does not give them first priority over playing time. Plus girls are more likely to play up more than boys are due to the physical development is more similar between 13-16 year old girls as opposed to 13-16 yo boys.
Do you ever wonder why those that have talent won't stick around or try out? It's because they know that no matter how hard they work, no matter what they do, others are going to be pushed ahead of them. I've seen it first hand, both boys and girls. Coach likes a kid or his parents, he/she can make 15 turnovers a game, miss 15 shots in a row, run their mouth to ref's and COACHES!! Nothing is done. Another kid can come in, make one mistake and sit for two games...makes perfect sense right? It's just the same old thing that has always went on and will continue to go on. You are either in with the "in" crowd or you're not, simple as that. Sadly that plays a part, people say it doesn't but recent actions I have seen dictate otherwise.
"Do you ever wonder why those that have talent won't stick around or try out? It's because they know that no matter how hard they work, no matter what they do, others are going to be pushed ahead of them. I've seen it first hand, both boys and girls. Coach likes a kid or his parents, he/she can make 15 turnovers a game, miss 15 shots in a row, run their mouth to ref's and COACHES!! Nothing is done. Another kid can come in, make one mistake and sit for two games...makes perfect sense right? It's just the same old thing that has always went on and will continue to go on. You are either in with the "in" crowd or you're not, simple as that. Sadly that plays a part, people say it doesn't but recent actions I have seen dictate otherwise."

By the sound of it, you seem like a frustrated parent, upset because your kid don't get any playing time. I don't blame you because you are taking up for your child and i would do the same for my daughter if i thought she deserved more playing time. I can see that my daughter does not make an effort like she should though, so i don't hoop and holler and get all upset when she don't get in. However, you are correct, AGAIN, about the physical size and talent in the middle school, just isn't there but some will still argue that they are better option than the talent that comes to try outs. Hasn't Hatcher came to any of the games. If he hasn't and has already chose some middle schoolers then that is foolish. But if he has seen the middle schoolers actually play then he should know whether or not they can do it or not at the next level. Even if they don't stand out and they can compete with the older girls,, then it would be worth it.
FrozenColonel Wrote:"Do you ever wonder why those that have talent won't stick around or try out? It's because they know that no matter how hard they work, no matter what they do, others are going to be pushed ahead of them. I've seen it first hand, both boys and girls. Coach likes a kid or his parents, he/she can make 15 turnovers a game, miss 15 shots in a row, run their mouth to ref's and COACHES!! Nothing is done. Another kid can come in, make one mistake and sit for two games...makes perfect sense right? It's just the same old thing that has always went on and will continue to go on. You are either in with the "in" crowd or you're not, simple as that. Sadly that plays a part, people say it doesn't but recent actions I have seen dictate otherwise."

By the sound of it, you seem like a frustrated parent, upset because your kid don't get any playing time. I don't blame you because you are taking up for your child and i would do the same for my daughter if i thought she deserved more playing time. I can see that my daughter does not make an effort like she should though, so i don't hoop and holler and get all upset when she don't get in. However, you are correct, AGAIN, about the physical size and talent in the middle school, just isn't there but some will still argue that they are better option than the talent that comes to try outs. Hasn't Hatcher came to any of the games. If he hasn't and has already chose some middle schoolers then that is foolish. But if he has seen the middle schoolers actually play then he should know whether or not they can do it or not at the next level. Even if they don't stand out and they can compete with the older girls,, then it would be worth it.
Not hooping and hollering f.c., just saying it like it is. Coach Hatcher has been to some of the games, but you know as well as I, his attention will be pointed at who the coaches want it pointed at. I think some of the middle school coaches are the new coaches for Freshment and JV. Anyway, you sound like an alright girl or guy, have no idea which. Good luck to your daughter in whatever she decides to do. I know a lot of these girls at JC and Mullins, wish nothing but the best for all of them.
How's PC doing right now?
sidelinewatch Wrote:How's PC doing right now?
Pike Central is currently 4-6 on the year. They have defeated Piarist twice (2-5), Phelps once (0-5) and John I. Burton Va. once (1-5).