Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon Clark 2013
I am sorry if there is already a thread for this but, I couldn't find one.

2013 WYMT Pigskin Preview: Sheldon Clark Cardinals

INEZ, Ky (WYMT) - The Sheldon Clark Cardinals bring back a young team on both sides of the ball this season, and are looking to improve on their 4-7 record from last year.

"Coming into this year we're young very young, we had several players that you know didn't come back out this year so that makes things a little bit difficult this year, but our kids are working hard, they worked hard in the off season being 4-7 last year they rally worked hard in the weight room. We don't have a lot of numbers this year but our kids are really working hard," said Head Coach Shawn Hager.

"Last year was a learning experience, coming into high school as a freshman is a big change from middle school. I think I'll just be more ready and more experienced this year getting used to the high school level." said Sophomore Lineman Steven Moore.

Sophomore Lineman Jordan Goble said he learned quite a bit from the players last year, "I got a lot of experience going into the games once the other guys got tired. I learned a lot from the seniors last year, one that had my position last year I learned a lot of from him. He taught me just about everything I knew so it was good to have him around."

With the teams low numbers this year, players say keeping a positive attitude throughout the season is essential.

"We're young so we know we gotta show up and give it our all. Were not going to lay down in the 4th quarter, we're not going to give up. We're just going to come out there and show everyone what we've got," said Sophomore Linebacker Cody Gauze.

Sophomore Linebacker Chase Munch agreed with Gauze, "Keep a good mind set on it and stay positive about this year and never get down on yourselves."

"We beat a lot of teams we didn't know much about, but we took a lot of good plays last year, and used them as strengths this year. We're not like we were last year, we could line up the ball and run it up the middle last year, but this year we're going to have to be more of a spread type offense take some shots down the field," said Junior Linebacker Brady Cline.

The Cardinals kick off their season with the Prestonsburg Blackcats.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/sports/sportsov...51101.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Its sad how far SC has fallen. I wish them luch but with the school falling apart it seems like the football program will be next. It seems like its been in a steady decline. Someone told me they only had 25 kids out this year. That is tragic.
Gonna be a long year in Inez. I agree with Matman.. Sheldon Clark went from a perennial Top 10 team to a program in shambles in the span of a couple seasons.Wish the Cards would rebound but this season I see them Finishing 4th in the District and a winless season isn't far fetched. Sheldon Clark was a State Semi-Finalist in 2009 and have yet to have a winning season since going 11-23

Definite Losses:
Belfry
Ashland
Hazard

Probable Losses:
Pikeville
Pburg
Lawrence County
Pike Central

Toss-Ups:
Letcher Central
Betsy Layne
What is sad about it is SC has about 7 kids who are good football players who decided not to come out this year.7 players, all who are probable starters, is a huge hit for this program.
Cardinals ride Wrote:What is sad about it is SC has about 7 kids who are good football players who decided not to come out this year.7 players, all who are probable starters, is a huge hit for this program.

Why do you think this occurred?
Cardinals ride Wrote:What is sad about it is SC has about 7 kids who are good football players who decided not to come out this year.7 players, all who are probable starters, is a huge hit for this program.

Losing 7 starters will hurt most programs.
The Contrarian Wrote:Why do you think this occurred?

Honestly, I believe a lot of these kids didn't come out because Bryce Workman left. He was the Qb and the leader. Once he decided to go to JC I think a lot of the kids decided not to play. There are a couple of these kids who say they are dedicating their time to other sports (baseball and wrestling).

One kid has a real chance to play professional baseball in a few years and doesn't want to risk injury. The other kids should be enjoying high school and playing football!
Who's the kid that has a real chance of playing professional baseball in a few years?
Sheldon Clark has fallen on hard times that is for sure. What has happened the last few years?
pirateforlife00 Wrote:Who's the kid that has a real chance of playing professional baseball in a few years?

Ethan Osborne, he was te 8th grader who pitched a no hitter in the district tournament.
Mr. Friday Nights Wrote:Sheldon Clark has fallen on hard times that is for sure. What has happened the last few years?

IMO, it has been the lack of a feeder program. The middle school and the youth football league were fighting for kids and it has really hurt our numbers. Youh league would have some god athletes and the middle school would have some good athletes. Neither one has had much success because they were stealing each others players. Not enough athletes to have success on one team and kids got tired of losing. Quit coming out. Now, Martin County has a 3-4th, and a 5-6 grade team. Both have good numbers and some good kids coming up.

We will take our lumps this year because we are basically playing varsity with a jv team (full of sophomores) but I believe we have things straight. And we will be fine in a year or two. Hopefully, establish ourselves over the long term.
Cardinals ride Wrote:IMO, it has been the lack of a feeder program. The middle school and the youth football league were fighting for kids and it has really hurt our numbers. Youh league would have some god athletes and the middle school would have some good athletes. Neither one has had much success because they were stealing each others players. Not enough athletes to have success on one team and kids got tired of losing. Quit coming out. Now, Martin County has a 3-4th, and a 5-6 grade team. Both have good numbers and some good kids coming up.

We will take our lumps this year because we are basically playing varsity with a jv team (full of sophomores) but I believe we have things straight. And we will be fine in a year or two. Hopefully, establish ourselves over the long term.

I agree that a solid feeder program is the life blood of any program, but find it hard that kids just decided to stop coming out without other reasons. SC was one of the better teams in the state (for their class) not long ago and now they are a W on the schedule for most teams. What is the community support like there? Has there been consolidation of middle/elementary schools? I just find it hard to believe that kids are not playing at a young level when they had solid numbers in the past.

I know all schools are losing kids to outside interests but it seems SC more than most with their previous level of success.
The community support has never really been there. When Matney was there he was envolved at every level of play in the county and had to fight for everything the team got. I just don't think there is that same level of dedication in the program now. Hopefully things will start to change. Of course with all of the problems with the school I see the county loosing more students.
Sheldon Clark was featured on TV a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe the condition of the school! I hate that so bad for the kids.
Sure hope things turn around, and you guys get back on track toward a winning season both in athletics and for a sound learning environment for the kids!!

Good luck!
Mr. Friday Nights Wrote:I agree that a solid feeder program is the life blood of any program, but find it hard that kids just decided to stop coming out without other reasons. SC was one of the better teams in the state (for their class) not long ago and now they are a W on the schedule for most teams. What is the community support like there? Has there been consolidation of middle/elementary schools? I just find it hard to believe that kids are not playing at a young level when they had solid numbers in the past.

I know all schools are losing kids to outside interests but it seems SC more than most with their previous level of success.

As matman said, we have never had a huge amount of community support. For some reason everyone in Martin County thinks their child is the next Lebron James. What is hard to figure is we have had very, very little success in basketball compared to some of the things our football program has accomplished in the past. We have never had the numbers of a Belfry or JC.

Now we have to compete with fall baseball for the interest of our youth. And don't get me started on soccer!! But we have a plan and I have confidence in it. We have some good coaches in place to coach our feeder programs. I think we will have to have some patience but we are gonna get there.