Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perry Central Baseball
What does the season look like for Coach Dixon this year? I know they are young but I think they will be more competitive this year.
Perry will be more seasoned this year for sure. Dixon does a pretty nice job with his kids and they learn alot of fundamentals and a love for the game.They'll be fine.
Dixon seems to do his best coaching when he doesn't suppose to compete. Look for PCC to be a tough win for anyone.
I look for PCC and Knott both to be good young teams this yr in the region. Powell would be my favorite going in but these teams will be right there.
Tubby Hater Wrote:I look for PCC and Knott both to be good young teams this yr in the region. Powell would be my favorite going in but these teams will be right there.

The defending 14th Region champs(Letcher Central) only lost one key player off of last years team. They finally should be the favorite to win the region going in. Somehow they get no respect as they will be going for their third regional championship in four years and fourth since the schools inception.
The top 3 teams in the 14th this year will be Letcher, Powell, and Hazard. From what I hear from people in and around Knott is that they don't have the depth on the mound plus they lost one of their up and comers to Letcher. I believe PCC will be good and even better next year (kind of biased), but don't believe they are there yet. Sleeper team will be Cordia. They have a roster full of seniors plus the Combs kid. It will be fun to watch.
The Weatherman Wrote:The top 3 teams in the 14th this year will be Letcher, Powell, and Hazard. From what I hear from people in and around Knott is that they don't have the depth on the mound plus they lost one of their up and comers to Letcher. I believe PCC will be good and even better next year (kind of biased), but don't believe they are there yet. Sleeper team will be Cordia. They have a roster full of seniors plus the Combs kid. It will be fun to watch.

You forgetting Estill? You do know that they have won the district tournament in back to back seasons? Have a hall of fame coach in Gene Combs coming on Board? and Return most of their team from last season, right? They'll be in the hunt this year.
1. Powell
2. Estill
3. Hazard (p-ss Smith from PCC)
4. LCC (of-p Williams from KCC)
5. KCC
6-9. Jackson/Lee/Leslie/PCC
^Letcher should be ranked higher.Estill and Powell will be fun to watch as they return alot of good players.
Powell, Letcher, Hazard, and Estill should be the favorites but I do look to see some others teams improve through the season.
I fully agree that Estill will be a strong contender as well. They would round out my top four with Powell, Letcher, and Hazard. Where is the regional tournament held this year?
Buckhorn. Looks like every region team is going to play Buckhorn @ Buckhorn this year.
Is the 14th region really being held at Buckhorn? Back in my playing days in the early 90s I don't remember Buckhorn having a field capable from a seating standpoint of hosting a region tournament. Does every school in the 14th get a chance to host at their home field?
Joneslab Wrote:Is the 14th region really being held at Buckhorn? Back in my playing days in the early 90s I don't remember Buckhorn having a field capable from a seating standpoint of hosting a region tournament. Does every school in the 14th get a chance to host at their home field?

Yes. http://khsaa.org/httpdocs/baseball/regio...gion14.pdf

Cordia
Estill County
Hazard
Jackson City
Knott Central
Lee County
Leslie County
Letcher Central
Perry Central
Powell County

Are all going to Buckhorn this year to play, so they can get use to Buckhorn's field for region tourney. Looks like Breathitt, Jenkins, Owsley, Riverside, Wolfe aren't going.
Hopefully Buckhorn can host a successful regional tourney.How will they provide proper seating,etc.? Alot of work and preparation goes into hosting these tourneys.Can't wait for the season to begin.
Hit N' Run Wrote:Hopefully Buckhorn can host a successful regional tourney.How will they provide proper seating,etc.? Alot of work and preparation goes into hosting these tourneys.Can't wait for the season to begin.

Buckhorn has actually hosted the baseball regional tournament twice in the past, and did a good job with it.
Past tournament HOSTS:
*1st time at that site

2013-KCC
2012-Wolfe Co.*
2011-Estill Co.*
2010-LCC*
2009-Hazard*
2008-Breathitt Co.*
2007-PCC
2006-Powell Co.
2005-Buckhorn
2004-KCC
2003-KCC
2002-Powell Co.
2001-Buckhorn*
2000-KCC
1999-PCC
1998-Powell Co.
1997-KCC
1996-KCC

Up until KCC got their field new field in 1990 the 14th regional tournament was at Powell County for most of the late '70s and all of the '80s.
*Leslie County will join the rotation in 2016
Never meant that Buckhorn wouldn't or couldn't host a great tournament.They did a great job in 2005.I'm actually in favor of every school getting the opportunity to host.Sorry if that post implied that.Buckhorn's coaches and staff will definitely put the time and effort in.
With Leslie County joining that will make ten schools that are hosting region (two schools from the 53rd, 55th, and 56th districts, all four from the 54th distirct will be in the rotation).
Estill plays solid defense as well as Letcher.This could be Powell's year.Just hoping Perry stays competitive but hearing that Smith transferred to Hazard.That will hurt if true.
OLD MAN LOGAN Wrote:Estill plays solid defense as well as Letcher.This could be Powell's year.Just hoping Perry stays competitive but hearing that Smith transferred to Hazard.That will hurt if true.

Click on the Hazard roster. It's true.
http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...ba14/43211
Hazard will be even deeper than they were last year.Hazard is loaded with young talent.Wish the Smith kid the best,enjoy watching him play.
OLD MAN LOGAN Wrote:Hazard will be even deeper than they were last year.Hazard is loaded with young talent.Wish the Smith kid the best,enjoy watching him play.

Every year the Hazard horn is tooted on the talent they have and that they are the favorites to win it. Guess what, every year, they choke. With all the talent they have had in the last few years, they may be the most underachieving baseball team in the history of the mountains.
Same in basketball too. Every year we are disrespected and look what Coach Dean does. Three 14th Region titles. Not too shabby.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
To much jeolousy at the Dawg Pound to be successful.
That darn chicken leg destroys Hazard every year. It goes down crossways and they CHOKE!!!!!!

Heard KCC may have trouble putting together a squad that will contend. Lost Williams to Letcher. Who is coaching the team this year??? Seems like they have had a different coach every year for the past several seasons...

Go Commodores!
Agree that Hazard has had talented teams that should have advanced out of the region.Hazard's downfall is themselves sometimes along with not being mentally prepared.Last season,I fully expected them to learn from the past.However,it didn't happen.Very disappointed to say the least.Knott finished the season very well last year.Not a a stellar year but better than most with absolutely no seniors on that squad.I personally hope Hazard gets it together this year,we'll see.
Still waiting to see if Williams will play baseball or run track. Would do great in both. Knott never had a track team. With a 40 time of 4.5 he would win 100 200 300 and relay in region. Also with the lose of Short, he would fit well in rotation. We shall see! His decision and his decision only.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Williams will play baseball.
PCC looked very good in regional tourney last year, but all this talk about Hazard, Powell being best in region, hardly. Estill beat Powell not once, but twice first game I believe was a 6 hit shutout. Second game was a 3 hit shutout and as far as Hazard, they were beaten 6 to 5. I agree with the person saying LCC don't get the respect they deserve, and this also applies to Estill because everyone knew whomever won the LCC vs Estill would represent our region in the State Tournament. Both teams are very good and will be the teams to beat in 2014.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Williams will play baseball.

He just tweeted today and told me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!