Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
River fishing
Anybody ever do any river fishing.
I used to fish in the Ohio river almost everyday when I was a teenager. Have not done it much last few years. As long as I am living in Eastern North Carolina, I will not do any river fishing due to alligators.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Have not been in a couple years, going and try to go tomorrow in the cumberland river putting at pineville and taking out at barbourville this trip should take about 8 hours. Going mainly fish for bass and crappie.
I've fished the Cumberland River a number of times but haven't been in a few years. The fish I pulled out seemed to be fairly clean but it seemed to take hours to get some good catches.

However, my in-laws live right next to the KY river and I fish there sometimes but only for fun as the river is too dirty to keep any of the fish.
Put in at flat lick which is about 15 miles from barbourville by car about 9 am morning and 10 hrs latter took out at Thompson park in Barbourville. Fishing was pretty good we caught 32 I think the best two fish were 16 "kentucky bass most of the fish we caught was Kentucky bass. Caught 2 crappie and 1 catfish . We fished hard for smallmouth but no luck. Most fish was caught on 3/16 oz. white or chartreuse spinner baits. A few fish was caught 1/4 oz. football jig heads with with white Grubbs on it. Also a couple was caught on a real small rattle trap I think it was 1/8 oz. Tried top water a little while do not remember catching a fish on it, and also fished a small spider jig for a little while with no luck . Over all I thought it was a great day just long. Also the river was in real good shape we did not have to carry the boat over any shoals.
Jarons Wrote:I used to fish in the Ohio river almost everyday when I was a teenager. Have not done it much last few years. As long as I am living in Eastern North Carolina, I will not do any river fishing due to alligators.

Couple years ago we fish the Ohio River,we went to a camp up above Huntington WV and fished up to a lock. There was a factory there on the river I believe it was BF Goodrich plant the best I remember. It was early fall oct. I think and the shad was running and they could not get past the lock. We absolutely killed the fish you had no idea what was coming in,but if you got your bait in the current just right you caught a fish every cast. Got a certification on a stripper I caught from the W V fish and wildlife. Caught a gar there over 40in. Caught 4lb small mouth and a drum over 30 lbs that would not fit In a dip net. We fished there three days and every time I would go to he lock we caught fish it was funny we would go in the morning and catch cat fish and go back in the evening and catch Drum. Almost all fish was caught on rattle traps. Used over a dozen on the trip just about everyone lost was on fish I could not get in. The last night there I went to Walmart and bought every rattle trap they had and 80 lb spider wire and broke one off with this rig. It was an unbelievable trip.
insideinfo Wrote:Put in at flat lick which is about 15 miles from barbourville by car about 9 am morning and 10 hrs latter took out at Thompson park in Barbourville. Fishing was pretty good we caught 32 I think the best two fish were 16 "kentucky bass most of the fish we caught was Kentucky bass. Caught 2 crappie and 1 catfish . We fished hard for smallmouth but no luck. Most fish was caught on 3/16 oz. white or chartreuse spinner baits. A few fish was caught 1/4 oz. football jig heads with with white Grubbs on it. Also a couple was caught on a real small rattle trap I think it was 1/8 oz. Tried top water a little while do not remember catching a fish on it, and also fished a small spider jig for a little while with no luck . Over all I thought it was a great day just long. Also the river was in real good shape we did not have to carry the boat over any shoals.

I have done that same trip about 4 years ago. Man was it a great day caught several fish all day. Lots of large mouths a couple small mouth and walleyes. Took us about 12 hours river was down and had to pull boat over several of the shoals. Still was a great day though. Would like to get the time to do it again soon.
insideinfo Wrote:Couple years ago we fish the Ohio River,we went to a camp up above Huntington WV and fished up to a lock. There was a factory there on the river I believe it was BF Goodrich plant the best I remember. It was early fall oct. I think and the shad was running and they could not get past the lock. We absolutely killed the fish you had no idea what was coming in,but if you got your bait in the current just right you caught a fish every cast. Got a certification on a stripper I caught from the W V fish and wildlife. Caught a gar there over 40in. Caught 4lb small mouth and a drum over 30 lbs that would not fit In a dip net. We fished there three days and every time I would go to he lock we caught fish it was funny we would go in the morning and catch cat fish and go back in the evening and catch Drum. Almost all fish was caught on rattle traps. Used over a dozen on the trip just about everyone lost was on fish I could not get in. The last night there I went to Walmart and bought every rattle trap they had and 80 lb spider wire and broke one off with this rig. It was an unbelievable trip.

Shad and gar run good up there at the locks. Fun to fish!