Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region Baseball in 2014
HDE Wrote:The big question though is who is the favorite in the 52nd? I'm guessing it's Harlan County since they are the defending champs, to follow your theory from a year ago.
I never liked that theory, but I'd still give Harlan County the edge, especially with Leisge back on the mound in big games.
Harlan County lost more to graduation, and it should be very competitive between the Bears and Jackets again.

I really don't see how you can consider HC as the favorite when the only players worth mentioning that they return are Leisge and Bailey. IMO Cornett isn't even top 3 pitchers on the team
HDE Wrote:The big question though is who is the favorite in the 52nd? I'm guessing it's Harlan County since they are the defending champs, to follow your theory from a year ago.
I never liked that theory, but I'd still give Harlan County the edge, especially with Leisge back on the mound in big games.
Harlan County lost more to graduation, and it should be very competitive between the Bears and Jackets again.

Yet you use that theory in football, when rosters were never a thought, Bell would beat Middlesboro.
Another year and MHS parent is still full of shit as always. What's new buddy?
FlippedOut Wrote:Yet you use that theory in football, when rosters were never a thought, Bell would beat Middlesboro.

Yes, I did. And I was wrong this time.
The difference is though the Middlesboro-Harlan County baseball series has been very competitive for the five years that HCHS has been opened.
The Middlesboro-Bell football series had rarely been competitive the last 25 years.
I would have to give the nod to M'Boro as the fav in the 52nd. They are an all-around better team than HC. Lesiege is a tough pitcher, but baseball is a team game and M'boro has the tools to crack him on the mound. It will be a very interesting match up come district time.
Pitching is still Harlan County's strength, but they have several other players back. They lost three starters in Boggs, Bond and Dozier.

I think Zach Doss had a three-hit game against Middlesboro last season and is back at second base.
Blake Rutherford had a great season last year and is back in the outfield.
Sawyer Fields is one of the most athletic players on the team and can play short or center.
Anthony Jenkins is back at third base for his senior year and should be better after missing his sophomore year and having to work back into baseball last season.
Tyler Cornett pitched a great game against North Laurel the last week of the regular season and has probably pitched in more high school varsity games than anyone in the region.
Gage Burkhart and Jared Sizemore showed a lot of potential last year as lefty pitchers, and Burkhart was a pretty good hitter as a freshman.
Middlesboro's team is talented and have come along very well.There will some interesting games not only in district play but in the region as well.Tons of talent in that region this year imo.
MHS Parent has obviously rubbed off on all the Middlesboro posters! They all seem to live in a fantasy world when it comes to the reality of their team. They have a decent team that lost the only high quality pitcher they had (Hale) last year. They have some other solid players back, but only one that would be considered one of the top players in the region (Brock) They will be considered a team that will probably make the regional tourney and could possibly with a good draw win one game, but not a real threat to win 3 games. It took their top two pitchers both last year to barely get by a very young Knox Central team, then got handled 10-1 in the 2nd round by NL.
Black Bear Cuz Wrote:MHS Parent has obviously rubbed off on all the Middlesboro posters! They all seem to live in a fantasy world when it comes to the reality of their team. They have a decent team that lost the only high quality pitcher they had (Hale) last year. They have some other solid players back, but only one that would be considered one of the top players in the region (Brock) They will be considered a team that will probably make the regional tourney and could possibly with a good draw win one game, but not a real threat to win 3 games. It took their top two pitchers both last year to barely get by a very young Knox Central team, then got handled 10-1 in the 2nd round by NL.

You're an idiot. The score was 4-1 going into the 5th inning and middlesboro kicked the ball around and cost themselves the game, no one got handled. Not only that but they had their #3 pitcher on the mound and correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Knox beat Harlan county last year?
In the 52nd, if I'm not mistaken Bell was all sophmores last year and they played pretty well late in the season. Beat North Laurel (minus Carson) and gave a HC a ball game in district (considering bells team the last 3 or 4 years that is a big accomplishment. Lol).
But would have to say HC has to be the favorites. HC is a very disciplined hitting team much like Mboro used to be in the Powell era.
Bell wont even compete for the 52nd. You should never overlooks a team and the Jackets and the Bears wont do that...they'll worry about them when they get on the bus and that's about it. This will be just another show down between HC and Middlesboro.

I don't know which one is better. But my gut goes with the Jackets.
How many teams go to camps together in the off season, and how many play 'travel" ball together throughout the summer? That experience could mean a big difference.
Curly Wrote:How many teams go to camps together in the off season, and how many play 'travel" ball together throughout the summer? That experience could mean a big difference.
There are NO high school teams in the 13th region that play travel ball together my friend. That would be nice, but I do not not know of any teams that go together and play in these type tournaments. The few kids that play travel ball are scattered out on different teams. Basketball is organized and played year round and football has spring practice along with weight lifting and workouts year round all of which is organized by the coaches. Baseball however is a different story in the 13th region, you pretty much have baseball season and then whatever the kid and his parents get him involved in on their own for the rest of the year. This is probably one of the bigger reasons among many reasons why you could count the number of wins by 13th region teams on one hand since the KHSAA took baseball to a sweet 16 format. When HDE gets a little extra time maybe he could give us some numbers on how many sweet 16 wins the 13th region has during this era.
I agree BB Cuz,
What escapes me is the fact that if more kids focused on developing their baseball skills rather than getting ready for the NBA or NFL, we would see more young men getting into college. We all know Basketball and Football are the more glamourus sports, but Baseball will get you into college quicker. Ever wonder why so many Lex. and Louisville kids sign to play baseball? Most of them play summer ball. Here in the mountains our babies are all headed for UK in basketball and Alabama in football when they graduate! (Sarcasm off). Wake up parents, a free college education is where it is at! Put away the basketballs and football and pick up the little round white ball. I realize not every kid can play baseball, but I have seen so many basketball and football players devote countless hours to their sports and the majority not sign to play at the college level, where as if they would have invested those hours in baseball, many more would be in college playing and getting a mostly free if not free education for their respective futures. <Rambling Off>
Hitters_Count Wrote:I agree BB Cuz,
What escapes me is the fact that if more kids focused on developing their baseball skills rather than getting ready for the NBA or NFL, we would see more young men getting into college. We all know Basketball and Football are the more glamourus sports, but Baseball will get you into college quicker. Ever wonder why so many Lex. and Louisville kids sign to play baseball? Most of them play summer ball. Here in the mountains our babies are all headed for UK in basketball and Alabama in football when they graduate! (Sarcasm off). Wake up parents, a free college education is where it is at! Put away the basketballs and football and pick up the little round white ball. I realize not every kid can play baseball, but I have seen so many basketball and football players devote countless hours to their sports and the majority not sign to play at the college level, where as if they would have invested those hours in baseball, many more would be in college playing and getting a mostly free if not free education for their respective futures. <Rambling Off>
Slow down a little HC, I agree with some of the points you are making here, but regarding the free rides due to baseball, those are few and far between. NCAA schools have very limited baseball scholarships but kids can qualify for scholarship money in other ways. NAIA schools have a little better budget of actual baseball money than NCAA schools do, but still do not throw very many full rides around. I do believe if many of the kids that dedicate a huge part of their time to football and basketball had the passion and drive for baseball instead, would have a better chance of playing college baseball than they have at playing college basketball or football. In Lexington and Louisville it seems more people understand this and therefore support their kids baseball efforts much more. There are many reasons however that the Lexington and Louisville schools seem to develop a lot more top notch baseball players than we do here in the mountains, but lack of emphasis on baseball is one of the biggest reasons IMO.
Quote:many more would be in college playing and getting a mostly free if not free education for their respective futures

Not to be nit-picky, but I did say mostly. My point is, that many more kids could be in college getting an education today with the aid of baseball helping with tuition, rather than basketball and football.

The Lex and L'ville areas turn out more also because of sheer numbers. But you are exactly right, Baseball Academys in those areas develop players. Travel ball really lets you see how you match up with the outside world as well. My son has participated in travel ball since age 6, we see what it takes to go out and earn scholarships and play at the next level. The only regret I have is that we dont live down south where he could play year round. :Thumbs:
Hitters_Count Wrote:Not to be nit-picky, but I did say mostly. My point is, that many more kids could be in college getting an education today with the aid of baseball helping with tuition, rather than basketball and football.

The Lex and L'ville areas turn out more also because of sheer numbers. But you are exactly right, Baseball Academys in those areas develop players. Travel ball really lets you see how you match up with the outside world as well. My son has participated in travel ball since age 6, we see what it takes to go out and earn scholarships and play at the next level. The only regret I have is that we dont live down south where he could play year round. :Thumbs:

The easiest way to get in to college is grades.There is all kinds of academic scholarship money out there if you can get your guidance counselor to help. All these kids going to these small school are either getting financial aid that they would have got anyway or getting a small sports scholarship that they could have gone to a state school for the same price or cheaper. So what it comes down to is you are paying to play. My belief is keep them occupied and keep them out of trouble whether that means playing one sport year round or playing everything they offer.
insideinfo Wrote:The easiest way to get in to college is grades.There is all kinds of academic scholarship money out there if you can get your guidance counselor to help. All these kids going to these small school are either getting financial aid that they would have got anyway or getting a small sports scholarship that they could have gone to a state school for the same price or cheaper. So what it comes down to is you are paying to play. My belief is keep them occupied and keep them out of trouble whether that means playing one sport year round or playing everything they offer.

I've read everybody rattle on about the baseball scholarship money deal, and finally someone who has a clue about this stuff.....There is not enough scholarship money in baseball to say there is any.....You can send your kid to a state school with no scholarship money cheaper than you can to a private school, such as one of the state's NAIA schools with a scholarship based on available baseball money. Insideinfo is right, what you are basicly doing is paying for your kid to play in many cases.
Not every kid has A's and B's in high school. Some of them come from families that will get limited financial aid. State or private, how can you argue that getting at the very least a partial baseball scholarship isnt worth the effort invested while in high school. I was merely trying to say that way too many mountain boys and their families believe they will someday play basketball at the collegiate level because of their accomplishments at Jr. High levels and High School levels. There is a much higher rate of mountain boys that are and can be playing baseball in college(State or private). That was the point I was trying to make. I guess it is because I am a baseball guy at heart and I believe more kids would get some financial assistance via baseball vs. basketball. Btw, I do have a clue, I have one in college on both academic/athletic scholarships.
There is more money in basketball but with fewer kids. D1 money has men's basketball at 13 scholarships and womens at 15 so all or almost all are full scholarships 13-15 members on a team. Baseball is 11.7 and softball is 12 with around 18-24 players. So more played receiving something but few that amount to much. It's like playing the lottery more people win on scratch off tickets but the big money is the powerball.

I had a small college baseball coach tell me he had 10 scholarships and had to have 34 players on his varsity and JV roster which I think is a joke. Almost all received 500.00-2000.00 to go to a private school. That is a joke! The same school apparently has 12 full scholarships for womens basketball that are stackable. I asked how that was fair and the coach said the president of the college said that men's and women's basketball was expected to win while the rest of the teams was to make the school money. I am a basketball and baseball guy and that is a horrible way to think about your athletic programs.
Hitters_Count Wrote:I would have to give the nod to M'Boro as the fav in the 52nd. They are an all-around better team than HC. Lesiege is a tough pitcher, but baseball is a team game and M'boro has the tools to crack him on the mound. It will be a very interesting match up come district time.

Baseball is pitching and catching and seven guys standing around. I take pitching every time.
Harlan County will win the 52nd and the contend for a regional championship. Leisge is a great pitcher but HC also has a solid, solid staff to compliment. Tyler Cornett is one of the most underrated pitchers in the region, he'll probably be the number 2 guy. He has played on this team since eighth grade and has a lot of experience. Mix in good, young arms of Sizemore and Burkhart and the only question is if the Black Bears can hit the ball.
Agreed. HC will be fun to watch and capable of beating anyone in the 13th.
Quote:HC also has a solid, solid staff to compliment.

I believe they have a good staff, but I am not sure I would say a Solid, solid staff at this point. If you cant hit it, then you wont contend, just ask Coach Hillard about that. A young Panthers team struggled to hit the ball as Fr., but kept most teams in check with their staff. A year older and experienced, teams better pay attention to this young team. With 2 Sr. and the rest Soph and Fr. they will suprise a lot of ppl in the 13th this year. Their key to success is also if they improve at the plate. A hit here and a hit there against M'boro in the region last year and they would have advanced to the second round. The usual suspects will be there(North, South, HC), but I think more teams will have a chance to compete and possible upsets will occur in the next coming years in the region.
Hitters_Count Wrote:I believe they have a good staff, but I am not sure I would say a Solid, solid staff at this point. If you cant hit it, then you wont contend, just ask Coach Hillard about that. A young Panthers team struggled to hit the ball as Fr., but kept most teams in check with their staff. A year older and experienced, teams better pay attention to this young team. With 2 Sr. and the rest Soph and Fr. they will suprise a lot of ppl in the 13th this year. Their key to success is also if they improve at the plate. A hit here and a hit there against M'boro in the region last year and they would have advanced to the second round. The usual suspects will be there(North, South, HC), but I think more teams will have a chance to compete and possible upsets will occur in the next coming years in the region.

Not trying to start a war here but wasn't last year the first that HC advanced past the 1st round of region? If so, how are they the usual suspects over teams like Middlesboro or Corbin who regularly advance in region?

Like I said, not trying to start a war. Just disagree with wording. That said, they will be a major factor in region this year. I am not denying that.
I just said NL, SL and HC because they were in my opinion the strongest 3 teams in the region last year. No disrespect to Corbin, Whitley, M'Boro and KC. The region will be full of fireworks the next few years and I find it hard to just crown anyone the champ. I see lots of close games and upsets coming, which in my mind makes it that much sweeter.
Who does everyone think the dark horse will be this year?
harlan independent
Hitters_Count Wrote:I just said NL, SL and HC because they were in my opinion the strongest 3 teams in the region last year. No disrespect to Corbin, Whitley, M'Boro and KC. The region will be full of fireworks the next few years and I find it hard to just crown anyone the champ. I see lots of close games and upsets coming, which in my mind makes it that much sweeter.

I agree, this should be fun to watch over the next few years.
What about Whitley Co or Clay? Not a lot of talk about these 2. Any chance for them to win the region. Whitley has really been much more competitive the last 2 years and beat some quality teams last year and looks like clay only lost 2 players from last years team.