Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region Baseball in 2014
Both teams could be contenders but they both are also inconsistent. In my opinion neither team has a deep enough pitching staff.
Baseballfreak999 Wrote:What about Whitley Co or Clay? Not a lot of talk about these 2. Any chance for them to win the region. Whitley has really been much more competitive the last 2 years and beat some quality teams last year and looks like clay only lost 2 players from last years team.
Clay will be a darn good team, not sure about Whitley.
What does everyone think about KC? I know they surprised a few teams last year.
As I said previously, I think their young talent is ready to make them a legit contender. I know they haven't done much in the postseason, but they really could this year. My question some of their fans could answer is who is their ace, and could he match up with Hurley, Neal or Leisge if needed. I originally had them second preseason, but I hadn't studied the returning rosters close enough when I said that. I would still rank them a very dangerous 4th behind North, South and Harlan Co. and ahead of Clay, Middlesboro and Corbin.
Van Hagar Wrote:As I said previously, I think their young talent is ready to make them a legit contender. I know they haven't done much in the postseason, but they really could this year. My question some of their fans could answer is who is their ace, and could he match up with Hurley, Neal or Leisge if needed. I originally had them second preseason, but I hadn't studied the returning rosters close enough when I said that. I would still rank them a very dangerous 4th behind North, South and Harlan Co. and ahead of Clay, Middlesboro and Corbin.

Knox is still very young. I'm not sure if they have a Ace yet. I think this time next year they will be a lot more talk about them being one of the top teams. If all there arms develop they will be pitching heavy over the next several years. There middle school team should be real good also. There is several players on both teams that are concentrating strictly on baseball. I'm not sure about what I think about that but with public relation night mare the NFL is. I don't blame them for not playing football.
They really don't need an ace. It's better to have a collection of great arms than have just one great arm. From what I seen last year knox could have one of the deepest staffs in the region.
Knox and Clay could both spoil someone's regional tournament. I don't know if they could win three in a row to win it. The draw is always so important.
Going to be a fun region to watch this year. I definitely have to rank north #1 but if u remember back to this time last year nobody thought north had a chance. Everyone was picking Harlan or south. It's whoever gets hot at right time. I can't wait. Harlan county is as good as anyone with leisige on the mound and south is south. I do think Knox will really surprise ppl this year. Clay has Allen and Hoskins back on the mound. They have potential to beat anyone. But like bases loaded said, clay is bad inconsistent. Corbin returns some good arms also.
I don't understand how you guys count middlesboro out, they lost one player off of an 11 loss team, and also gained Frazier back and also got a transfer from bell county to fill some holes in the outfield. Along with Foister coming back out, should be a hard team to handle
Middlesboro wins the region, call me crazy but we will see in June
Middlesboro doesn't have the pitching IMO to win it all, but you never know. North Laurel is the top team going into the season in my opinion. And based on what I've seen, Trey Martin is the best pitcher on South's team, after him and Neal there's not much but still a very good squad as well. Harlan County will be very good again this year and wouldn't be surprised to see them competing again with South and North. Knox will be alright, don't think they can win it all this year but there's always a chance. Clay just needs to be consistent. Should be an interesting year this year in the 13th, cant wait for the season to get here. its killing me! And also excited that the region tournament is at Harlan County's field this year.
I know it's early, but does anyone have any pictures of the new facility at Harlan County?
Here's a panoramic that a buddy of mine took last season......

[Image: http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm84/...9289_o.jpg]
Thanks, Dog. Nice looking facility.
LongDong Wrote:I don't understand how you guys count middlesboro out, they lost one player off of an 11 loss team, and also gained Frazier back and also got a transfer from bell county to fill some holes in the outfield. Along with Foister coming back out, should be a hard team to handle

We can analyze it position by position, but it's pretty simple - can Middlesboro do a better job hitting against Connor Leisge than they showed last year. I could tell the game was over last year in the district finals after a couple of batters went down against Leisge.
Here is why they count teams out. They look at what happened last year. HDE is bad for it. They don't look at rosters or talk with other coaches. They do no homework on the subject.
I dont believe anyone is counting Mboro out, just so happens that several folks believe that HC will be a stronger team than the Jackets this year. It does appear there are more unbiased folks that feel this way while only Mboro folks feel the contrary. The HC coaches and players I am sure will not be counting anyone out if they are smart. Middlesboro has long been a solid baseball program, not to be counted out by anyone!
Well stated, Cuz. Harlan County will be strong, but by no means should anyone count Middlesboro out.
South Laurel should be the team to beat. Knox Central should be good along with North Laurel, Harlan County and Middlesboro.
FlippedOut Wrote:Here is why they count teams out. They look at what happened last year. HDE is bad for it. They don't look at rosters or talk with other coaches. They do no homework on the subject.

NO ONE in the state does more homework than me on high school sports and NO ONE talks to more coaches. I've two large notebooks next to me with every basketball team in the 13th and 14th regions and every player listed with heights, positions and grades. That's from talking to every coach in both regions and attending summer camps.

I did pick Bell to beat Middlesboro in football last year because I didn't believe Middlesboro was physical enough to match up from what I've seen in previous years. I'm not wrong very often though. Ask Gut.
Like I said, IMO M'boro doesn't have enough pitching. Hale was their top quality arm. I still think they'll be a very solid team, just not as good as HC.
HDE Wrote:We can analyze it position by position, but it's pretty simple - can Middlesboro do a better job hitting against Connor Leisge than they showed last year. I could tell the game was over last year in the district finals after a couple of batters went down against Leisge.

Well, just a few games earlier in the season HC got 10 run ruled by Middlesboro. Can not go on what they done last year. This is a new season and HC and Middlesboro will be the two to beat in this district. I think they are very evenly matched and it should be a great season to watch. To pick a winner now is just using heart not any other fact or book you may have.
We can sit and argue any point until the cows come home. Thats why we play the game on the field to determine who comes out on top. A top pitcher may have an off day and then what do the numbers say? Lets get ready to play ball and let the young men decide who hoist the trophy at the end. :Thumbs:
Thanks for making my point. I agree.
That's the kind of the point of sports Web sites to begin with, debating "until the cows come home."
If you can't go on what happened last year, how do you have HCHS and Middlesboro as the teams to beat in the district?
In order to evaluate any new season, you begin with what happened last year and then look at who is returning. My point is that Leisge dominated in two games against Middlesboro. He did not pitch in the Middlesboro win. Any debate on Middlesboro-HCHS baseball has to begin with Middlesboro's performance against Leisge last season, because you can bet he will be pitching against them in a tournament matchup in 2014.
There are other factors, such as how HCHS will replace their best hitter and their starting catcher for five years and how will they replace their center fielder and No. 3 pitcher.
But if Middlesboro doesn't hit better against Leisge, HCHS will just need one to three runs to win.
You might not agree with HDE, I don't all the time, but you can't argue about the time and effort spent researching in order to give us something interesting to debate.
I promise you HDE it is not what they did last year. If so no one would have ever pick HC to win a region game. I haven't seen any research. He just said M'boro could not hit the kid, didn't last year so HC would win this year. How many kids does M'boro return? How many transfers do they have? Is one a pitcher? Has he talked to M'boro coaches this year? Answers for that is he don't know and no he hasn't. What I am saying is you are intitled to your opion and your favorite team, but your position or profession carries more weight. So more objectivity should be handled or people like me question it. I am not speaking bad of you HDE, just think that for some reason we always get the short end with you.
I didn't say Middlesboro could not hit anyone. I just said they didn't hit Leisge last year and will have to improve in that aspect in order to beat Harlan County.

I haven't said anything negative/unprofessional about any Middlesboro players.

Leisge up one hit in relief in the district finals. This is from the story in the regular season:

Leisge dominated on the mound before finally running out of gas in the seventh inning. The junior right hander had a no-hitter through 6 1/3 innings before senior shortstop Brian Hale broke it up with a solid single up the middle. Leisge finished with seven strikeouts and five walks while giving up only two hits.
I know you said nothing bad about a kid. I did not say you did. I just wanted to know if you had done any research into Middlesboro this season. So I went and ask. The answer I got was no.

Middlesboro will have 3 kids on this season roster that did not play last year, and that is not talking about freshmen. 2 transfers and a catcher.

With all the returning players and new ones, don't be so fast to dismiss this team because they had trouble hitting a pitcher LAST YEAR.
Show me where I dismissed Middlesboro. I'm sure they will be in the top five or so in the region. Harlan County did lose more than Middlesboro, but I give HCHS the edge because of pitching.
No one is researching high school baseball in early February. We still have plenty of basketball left. Official practice hasn't even started.
EVERYONE brings out new players every year and they are always going to take the program to another level. It happens in football, basketball etc...Usually they don't have that much of an impact, but I will have to admit Hale was probably Middlesboro's best player last year and he was new, so you never know. I do remember Frazier being a good player in previous years.