Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of Eastern KY needs your support
Attention All Eastern, KY Residents

We at The Future of Eastern Kentucky have started a petition to send to Frankfort and DC Demanding them to bring jobs to Eastern, KY So each and every family has a fair chance to achieve a better living. We are poverty stricken from the impact of job loss here; we want a better life for families in this area. We ask each and every one of you to sign our petition and have your voice heard!
The recent loss of jobs in the coal industry stuck a devastating impact on each and every person in Appalachia. I have listened to many people say they are not affected by coal so why should they worry. What people don’t realize is every dollar that passes through this region has been in either a miner of someone who is related to the industries hand before ours.
With the above being said we just want to clarify that our petition only deals with the coal industry as to bringing jobs in to replace the ones lost due to downfall of coal in Eastern Kentucky. We aren’t Anti anything, we are Pro People, Pro Jobs, and Pro Community. Our goal is to get both the Democrat and Republican Parties working together to bring back jobs to our great community we live in. Please join our site and sign the petition if you haven't.

Thank you
Ray Ratliff
John Hatfield

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thefutur...nkentucky/

https://www.change.org/petitions/congres...n-kentucky
Government does not create jobs, it destroys jobs. Government has been destroying jobs in the coal industry for many years, it just shifted into a higher gear when Obama took office.

Eastern Kentuckians need to understand that eastern Kentucky has a horrible business climate. The only reason large companies provide coal mining jobs there is because there is no way to mine coal without having "boots on the ground."

We (I still consider myself a displaced eastern Kentuckian) have a crooked justice system where juries too often are populated with ignoramuses who are only interested in taking money from a corporation or insurance company with "deep pockets" and putting that money into the pockets of some deadbeat who is too lazy to work for a living. The companies who do business in eastern Kentucky are mostly the types of businesses who have no choice - hospitals, retail stores, groceries, etc. Look at most downtowns in eastern Kentucky. What do you see? Law offices where private businesses once thrived.

Stop whining to government to create jobs. That is not its job. Government is what put eastern Kentucky in the position that is in today. LBJ's launch of the so-called War on Poverty brought big government to eastern Kentucky as it had never been before and the result has been to drive hard working men and women away in search of jobs. At the same time, government is providing hammocks to those who choose to draw government checks and food stamps as they bought into the liberals' vision of an all powerful federal government fighting evil corporations. The government safety net was never meant to be so comfortable.
This is another example of how dependent we have become on the government. We don't need to be going to the government for jobs to be created - we need to think of ways to create them ourselves.
The state of Kentucky foot the bill for the Hal Rogers Parkway-Elk Hill Industrial Park Connector. The 3 mile connector was opened to traffic September 28 2013 at the whopping cost of about $25 million. The state of Kentucky has completed their end of the bargain and now it's in the hands of the Clay, Leslie & Knox County Industrial Authority. Government should now step aside. It will be up to the people of the region to determine if it becomes an industrial park or a $25 million driveway for the one resident that lives on Elk Hill.
Personally, I'm not very optimistic.
Im curious if anyone else feels as though they get taxed to death?
I had 198 on last weeks check took out for taxes so the govt can spend more.
Its almost come ridicolous when there spending it on things other than our infastructure.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Government does not create jobs, it destroys jobs. Government has been destroying jobs in the coal industry for many years, it just shifted into a higher gear when Obama took office.

Eastern Kentuckians need to understand that eastern Kentucky has a horrible business climate. The only reason large companies provide coal mining jobs there is because there is no way to mine coal without having "boots on the ground."

We (I still consider myself a displaced eastern Kentuckian) have a crooked justice system where juries too often are populated with ignoramuses who are only interested in taking money from a corporation or insurance company with "deep pockets" and putting that money into the pockets of some deadbeat who is too lazy to work for a living. The companies who do business in eastern Kentucky are mostly the types of businesses who have no choice - hospitals, retail stores, groceries, etc. Look at most downtowns in eastern Kentucky. What do you see? Law offices where private businesses once thrived.

Stop whining to government to create jobs. That is not its job. Government is what put eastern Kentucky in the position that is in today. LBJ's launch of the so-called War on Poverty brought big government to eastern Kentucky as it had never been before and the result has been to drive hard working men and women away in search of jobs. At the same time, government is providing hammocks to those who choose to draw government checks and food stamps as they bought into the liberals' vision of an all powerful federal government fighting evil corporations. The government safety net was never meant to be so comfortable.

don't you work for the government?
vector Wrote:don't you work for the government?

Good grief. Check off number five on your list of six comebacks. Explain to us all again about how Obama's war on coal is okay.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WideRight05 Wrote:This is another example of how dependent we have become on the government. We don't need to be going to the government for jobs to be created - we need to think of ways to create them ourselves.

Just stop it Wide. Obama will never get the smile wiped off his face, LOL.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
vector Wrote:don't you work for the government?
I work for a private consulting firm, which I have explained to you many times before. I would explain it again, but apparently I am incapable of dumbing down the answer to a level that you can understand.
I don't see the Eastern part of the state improving all that much under the next administration, whether it be Republican or Democrat. As long as it is so dependent on the coal business, we'll have this fluctuation. Just comes with the territory I think.

Many other rural areas are in the same predicament all over the country though. I would like to see the cities of EKY, especially the bigger ones, to work together on this stuff more. But DC can stay in DC for all I care. Everything they touch turns to dust it seems.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I work for a private consulting firm, which I have explained to you many times before. I would explain it again, but apparently I am incapable of dumbing down the answer to a level that you can understand.

that get's the money from the tax payer
vector Wrote:that get's the money from the tax payer
Only part of it. About 40 percent of the money that Obama spends is borrowed from the Chinese and others. My company does not work exclusively for government organizations, we also hold contracts with private companies. But, like I said, I can't dumb it down any more for you and I don't feel like trading insults with somebody not smart enough to understand them.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Only part of it. About 40 percent of the money that Obama spends is borrowed from the Chinese and others. My company does not work exclusively for government organizations, we also hold contracts with private companies. But, like I said, I can't dumb it down any more for you and I don't feel like trading insults with somebody not smart enough to understand them.

[Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/pic...tureid=604]

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/20...ty-threat/

don't know what you are talking about typical tea party member keep gov out of my medicare
vector Wrote:[Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/pic...tureid=604]

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/20...ty-threat/

don't know what you are talking about typical tea party member keep gov out of my medicare
As usual, an incoherent response. FYI, Obama is the one that is targeting your medicare. Since the cost of Obamacare is going to be more than double what he promised (even more if you factor in the cost of higher premiums and reduced benefits to recipients), then he is going to have to scrape some money from other programs. You are a fool but you are exceptionally comfortable wallowing in your ignorance.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:As usual, an incoherent response. FYI, Obama is the one that is targeting your medicare. Since the cost of Obamacare is going to be more than double what he promised (even more if you factor in the cost of higher premiums and reduced benefits to recipients), then he is going to have to scrape some money from other programs. You are a fool but you are exceptionally comfortable wallowing in your ignorance.

Succinctly stated as per usual. However, on this one rare occasion, I would add one word. "You are a fool but you are exceptionally comfortable wallowing in your willful ignorance."

LOL, there is no way any rational man could take ObamaCare and the resultant plunder of Medicare at face value.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
vector Wrote:that get's the money from the tax payer

Does the company that you work for get money from the tax payer, or do you just skip that step and get avoid the middle man??
Granny Bear Wrote:Does the company that you work for get money from the tax payer, or do you just skip that step and get avoid the middle man??

no
Hoot Gibson Wrote:As usual, an incoherent response. FYI, Obama is the one that is targeting your medicare. Since the cost of Obamacare is going to be more than double what he promised (even more if you factor in the cost of higher premiums and reduced benefits to recipients), then he is going to have to scrape some money from other programs. You are a fool but you are exceptionally comfortable wallowing in your ignorance.

what has medicare got to do with china holding 40% of our debt

duck dodge spin
vector Wrote:what has medicare got to do with china holding 40% of our debt

duck dodge spin
China doesn't hold 40 percent of our debt. Obama and the Democrats cut Medicare to help pay for Obamacare. And if you paid federal taxes, you would know that Obama raised your taxes by demanding an end to the Bush tax cuts. So you are either a liar and a freeloader or ignorant of the facts - one or the other. Which is it?
And if you paid federal taxes, you would know that Obama raised your taxes by demanding an end to the Bush tax cuts.

only if you made over 450000 did he rolled back bushs tax cuts everybody else stayed the same and yes I pay federal taxs
vector Wrote:And if you paid federal taxes, you would know that Obama raised your taxes by demanding an end to the Bush tax cuts.

only if you made over 450000 did he rolled back bushs tax cuts everybody else stayed the same and yes I pay federal taxs
Like I said, taxes on beer and cigarettes don't count. Neither do gasoline taxes. Oh yeah, even though lottery tickets are a tax on stupidity, they are technically not an income tax either. :biglmao:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Im curious if anyone else feels as though they get taxed to death?
I had 198 on last weeks check took out for taxes so the govt can spend more.
Its almost come ridicolous when there spending it on things other than our infastructure.

I pay $400+ per pay check in taxes.

Which is another reason I support an across the board tax or only a sales tax.
judgementday Wrote:I pay $400+ per pay check in taxes.

love to see a flat tax
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Like I said, taxes on beer and cigarettes don't count. Neither do gasoline taxes. Oh yeah, even though lottery tickets are a tax on stupidity, they are technically not an income tax either. :biglmao:
federal gov has not raised taxs on gasoline since 1993 don't drink beer or smoke now a lot of these people that follow you on this site will believe the BS you put on here but not me

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillip...gas-taxes/
judgementday Wrote:I pay $400+ per pay check in taxes.

Its almost laughable isnt it?
After i pay insurance and retirement in, im at 400 as well per week!

I just dont understand how a middle class person like myself is taxed this much. Never made since to me.
Eastern KY has no one to blame but themselves, can't speak for the coal areas, but the Ashland area has shot itself in the foot time and time again. Some very recently.

Not gibing the tax incentives to Toyota to build another plant in Boyd, so they went to WV.

Not giving liquor licenses to NASCAR, so they ended up building the Kentucky Speedway elsewhere, the Industrial Parkway was built for one reason, and it was for that track. I've never even watched a NASCAR race, but I can only imagine how many millions of dollars that cost the area.

Ashland Oil, left the area because there was nothing for their executives to do.

Companies won't move into an area if there is nothing to draw them there. So as long as the area remains the way it is, it will continue to wither and die off, with an aging populace as every young successful person escapes the area quickly... I will be gone in 2 years, and honestly don't care to ever return.

Horrible weather, nothing to do, old population, drug addicts everywhere.... exactly why would anyone come to this area?

Get out while you can. There's a reason it is the most depressed, fattest, and unhealthiest area in the entire country.
Beetle01 Wrote:Eastern KY has no one to blame but themselves, can't speak for the coal areas, but the Ashland area has shot itself in the foot time and time again. Some very recently.

Not gibing the tax incentives to Toyota to build another plant in Boyd, so they went to WV.

Not giving liquor licenses to NASCAR, so they ended up building the Kentucky Speedway elsewhere, the Industrial Parkway was built for one reason, and it was for that track. I've never even watched a NASCAR race, but I can only imagine how many millions of dollars that cost the area.

Ashland Oil, left the area because there was nothing for their executives to do.

Companies won't move into an area if there is nothing to draw them there. So as long as the area remains the way it is, it will continue to wither and die off, with an aging populace as every young successful person escapes the area quickly... I will be gone in 2 years, and honestly don't care to ever return.

Horrible weather, nothing to do, old population, drug addicts everywhere.... exactly why would anyone come to this area?

Get out while you can. There's a reason it is the most depressed, fattest, and unhealthiest area in the entire country.

Thanks for that there, 'Sunshine'. :biggrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Beetle01 Wrote:Eastern KY has no one to blame but themselves, can't speak for the coal areas, but the Ashland area has shot itself in the foot time and time again. Some very recently.

you forgot the uneducated

I have to agree here, even though I wish this wasn't the case at home.

But, it's always home and there are some very good things in Eastern KY still, so I'll always be coming back. Also, I still think you won't find better people anywhere else. Sure, there are plenty of shitbags, but there's still more good.

I work in Fairfax County, Virginia, at Ft. Belvoir. Last week on my way back from home, I was at a gas station in Charlottesville. A guy that was standing outside the door when I went in started beating on an older man who was pumping gas, apparently trying to get his wallet and vehicle...a guy around my age was also getting gas, as well as another man and a woman. No one even tried to help, and the idiot behind the counter locked everyone inside automatically as soon as he saw what was happening. I can understand why he did that, afraid the guy would come in and rob the store, but that kept anyone from going out to help the guy.

The point is that I really don't believe that would happen like that back home. I still think multiple people would help. I might be naive, but I still think people in EKY are still that decent and not as cowardly as so many people in more urban areas, like here. It's like they think if they don't look or get involved, everything will be ok and just work itself out. It's pathetic and makes me sick. The guy who was attacked was alright by the way, and the guy who attacked him ran, not sure if he was caught.

It's a problem when someone like me gets into trouble for wanting to help, yet others are told they did the right thing by being a coward. Eastern KY could have all the dopeheads on earth, but personally, I'd rather have decent people around me who don't mind helping others than people who would rather watch something like that happen. Just me though.

I do understand why businesses are hesitant to invest in Eastern KY obviously, but I think the people get a very bad rap when they shouldn't, especially when compared to areas that are more healthy or more successful.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Its almost laughable isnt it?
After i pay insurance and retirement in, im at 400 as well per week!

I just dont understand how a middle class person like myself is taxed this much. Never made since to me.

All you can do is laugh about it. The middle class is what drives the nation but yet we are the ones to bear the burden of it.

I will have to agree with what was posted earlier in that Eastern KY communities are to blame. I live in East. KY and a third business located in town is closing its doors. The mayor and urban city council does nothing to bring in businesses. All they have done is raise local taxes and allow housing on Main St. to become eyesores because the current group doesn't want to "tell people how to live". Finally our city voted to go wet a couple weeks ago but the mayor and council members have already said they are going to delay the process as long as possible because they do not support it.

I just don't understand why small towns are so scared of change.