•  Previous
  • 51(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is going to be the new coach at Whitley?
Wildcat18 Wrote:Good coaches win ball games. Great coaches win championships. Some people are satisfied with good coaches.

Great athletes win championships!!!!!!! Name one coach that won a state HIGH SCHOOL championship without great athletes.
PRIDE101 Wrote:Great athletes win championships!!!!!!! Name one coach that won a state HIGH SCHOOL championship without great athletes.

Great Coaches develop kids into great athletes and Win Championships. They will put in the time and work with their kids to develop them. Makes weight room available during off season and motivate kids to get better. Have the right plans in place for kids to improve technique and skill. Give me a great coach and he can make great athletes.
PRIDE101 Wrote:Great athletes win championships!!!!!!! Name one coach that won a state HIGH SCHOOL championship without great athletes.

Athletes do win championships. However, while both had athletes, I would argue that this year's Wayne County team (and quite possibly Bourbon County) had more pure athletes across the board than Belfry. So Philip Haywood. I would consider him great.
Objective Wrote:Great Coaches develop kids into great athletes and Win Championships. They will put in the time and work with their kids to develop them. Makes weight room available during off season and motivate kids to get better. Have the right plans in place for kids to improve technique and skill. Give me a great coach and he can make great athletes.

You CAN NOT make an ATHLETE. You can make them better, but cant make a kid an athlete. He either is or he isnt.
Full deck Wrote:You CAN NOT make an ATHLETE. You can make them better, but cant make a kid an athlete. He either is or he isnt.

kids have natural ability that you can't coach or develop I agree and you can't make a kid taller but you can most certainly develop a kids ability faster stronger smarter and better skill set. Thats why programs with good feeder systems and Great Coaches win year in and year out. it's not like they are hatching kids in a DNA lab
How will the arrest of the Whitley County Athletic Director affect the coaching search?
Wildcat18 Wrote:Athletes do win championships. However, while both had athletes, I would argue that this year's Wayne County team (and quite possibly Bourbon County) had more pure athletes across the board than Belfry. So Philip Haywood. I would consider him great.

I completely agree, Haywood will never win a championship at Jenkins unless he has athletes to work with. I also agree that no coach can make athletes. He can make them stronger and discipline them, but if he does not have great players to some extent he will not win championships. To many times we judge coaches on how many championships they have. My point is there are and have been a great number of coaches that have been overlook just because they have not won a championship. Also some programs have a huge advantage in facilities. It takes a community and not just a coach.
PRIDE101 Wrote:I completely agree, Haywood will never win a championship at Jenkins unless he has athletes to work with. I also agree that no coach can make athletes. He can make them stronger and discipline them, but if he does not have great players to some extent he will not win championships. To many times we judge coaches on how many championships they have. My point is there are and have been a great number of coaches that have been overlook just because they have not won a championship. Also some programs have a huge advantage in facilities. It takes a community and not just a coach.

I think we have a similar viewpoint to an extent, but we're looking at it from totally different directions. You used the Haywood to Jenkins scenario. It's more than just X's and O's and having athletes. My point is that you could put a great coach like Haywood at Jenkins and you'd see a flock of athletes from Letcher County enroll at Jenkins. He's established that image with his success at other schools. If Whitley could pull a guy of that nature in, you'd see that same trend from other local schools, but WC is now looking to possibly hire a coach that has been fired from his previous job. Championships mean more than you think when it comes to the hiring process.
Some real things. Jim Black is a good Coach. Whitley will be hard pressed to replace him with anyone better. I wish them well and much success in the Future. I like to slip over and watch them from time to time. Good Hunting!!
Cellking Wrote:Some real things. Jim Black is a good Coach. Whitley will be hard pressed to replace him with anyone better. I wish them well and much success in the Future. I like to slip over and watch them from time to time. Good Hunting!!

I agree with this. I too thought Black was a pretty good coach from what I saw of his teams and him while Rockcastle was playing them for the past six years. (The time my two boys have played for Rockcastle High) But, that is someone looking in from the outside. I really wish you all the best in your search and think it will be a pretty good job for someone if the right person is found.

i don't care what kind of athletes you have, you can not win a championship without a great coach.
insideinfo Wrote:i don't care what kind of athletes you have, you can not win a championship without a great coach.

So, my question is if a coach has never won a state champions he can't be a great coach and if a coach has won a state championship he is a great coach?
Does this also mean if a coach wins 1 year he's a great coach but if he only wins 5 games the next he is no longer a great coach?
Do you think Tubby won the 98 championship because he was a great coach or because he had great talent?
Well Whitney's new coach was 9-2 last year and run the spread, trading blue for red. Sorry gut it want be run it up the gut it will throw it down the middle
1/4bak Wrote:Well Whitney's new coach was 9-2 last year and run the spread, trading blue for red. Sorry gut it want be run it up the gut it will throw it down the middle

Whitney's new coach??
1/4bak Wrote:Well Whitney's new coach was 9-2 last year and run the spread, trading blue for red. Sorry gut it want be run it up the gut it will throw it down the middle

Jonathan Parsons?
pjdoug Wrote:Whitney's new coach??

yeah....sounds like Whitney is getting a heckuva coach......:biggrin:

Just kidding.
So.....who are we talking about?....Blue for red? Somerset is purple, Pikeville U is orange...Lower Slobovia is titty nipple pink.....Lex Chris maybe?...nope...they weren't 9-2. Who we talking about?

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
papagrit Wrote:yeah....sounds like Whitney is getting a heckuva coach......:biggrin:

Just kidding.
So.....who are we talking about?....Blue for red? Somerset is purple, Pikeville U is orange...Lower Slobovia is titty nipple pink.....Lex Chris maybe?...nope...they weren't 9-2. Who we talking about?

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Betsy Layne's Jonathan Parsons is the only one who fits the criteria. He did a good job turning around BL, but against pretty weak competition. He does like to spread if Whitley is looking to move in a different direction.
I'm not sure who Whitney is or who in blue went 9-2
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Betsy Layne's Jonathan Parsons is the only one who fits the criteria. He did a good job turning around BL, but against pretty weak competition. He does like to spread if Whitley is looking to move in a different direction.

I see. Thanks for the input. I've not heard of him myself. :Thumbs:
papagrit Wrote:I see. Thanks for the input. I've not heard of him myself. :Thumbs:

me either
footballfever Wrote:So, my question is if a coach has never won a state champions he can't be a great coach and if a coach has won a state championship he is a great coach?
Does this also mean if a coach wins 1 year he's a great coach but if he only wins 5 games the next he is no longer a great coach?
Do you think Tubby won the 98 championship because he was a great coach or because he had great talent?

The Tubby question is easy and every Ky fan should already know this. Tubby won with Pitinos players running Pitinos system. The next year and years after he ran his own thing and never go close to Nat Championship, I don't think he even went to the Final Four with his own players.
Full deck Wrote:The Tubby question is easy and every Ky fan should already know this. Tubby won with Pitinos players running Pitinos system. The next year and years after he ran his own thing and never go close to Nat Championship, I don't think he even went to the Final Four with his own players.

So, players are more important than the coach :thanks:
footballfever Wrote:So, players are more important than the coach :thanks:

Put Chuck Smith at McCreary and see how well he does. Does that answer your question? What was Chuck Smith record before Boyle when at Campbellsville?
is Tubby Smith going to be the new coach?
pjdoug Wrote:is Tubby Smith going to be the new coach?

^^Confusednicker:^^

You do remember his nickname "Ten Loss Tubby" don't you?
You really want that?
papagrit Wrote:^^Confusednicker:^^

You do remember his nickname "Ten Loss Tubby" don't you?
You really want that?

noConfusednicker:
redstorm Wrote:Will hire this week!
Announcement Friday

Valentine's Day....:why:
64SUR Wrote:I might need to stay off this thread....Confusederiously:

I don't think you made it a day :biglmao:
footballfever Wrote:I don't think you made it a day :biglmao:

fever....My snitch told me its not true about 60 minute coming to town..I truely want to give up :igiveup: :igiveup: :igiveup: :biglmao:
footballfever Wrote:So, my question is if a coach has never won a state champions he can't be a great coach and if a coach has won a state championship he is a great coach?

Tubby is a good comparison. I think he's a good coach, just not great. In 2003, he had the best team in the tournament and lost. Look at Coach Cal. In 2010, he had THE most athletic team in the NCAA and underachieved against a terrible West Virginia team. The next year in 2011, he took a mediocre team and went to the final four. You can look at it both ways.
  •  Previous
  • 51(current)
  • Next