Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 UK Football Recruiting
Dowell happy to add Kentucky offer

Justin Rowland
CatsIllustrated.com Football Recruiting Analyst

Kentucky became one of the latest offers for 2015 Ohio athlete David Dowell recently and he plans to give the Wildcats a serious look.

The Lakewood (Ohio) St. Edward athlete is prized for his versatility and the 6-foot, 177-pound prospect now has BCS offers from Kentucky, Illinois and Tennessee.

Dowell has noticed Kentucky's recruiting success in his home state and while he has never visited Lexington that's a trip he's hoping to make in the future.

"I like Kentucky," Dowell explained. "I think they're a good program on the rise. I've talked to (Vince Marrow) one time when he offered me. He just said that he likes my skill at corner and that he wants to get me down to Kentucky."

Dowell has the kind of length that Mark Stoops liked in his cornerbacks when he was at Florida State. Of course, UK has had success recruiting defensive backs from Ohio since Stoops and Marrow have been recruiting the state.

From the Class of 2013 both Marcus McWilson and Jaleel Hytchye pledged to Kentucky late. In the current class of seniors Darius West and Mike Edwards are both committed. It's reasonable to assume that success will continue and Dowell now appears to be a priority recruit.

"All of my offers are on a level playing field," he said.

While Dowell has never been to Kentucky he has taken other trips. So far the 2015 defensive back has visited Ohio State and more recently Penn State. The Nittany Lions had some scholarship restrictions erased by the NCAA and can sign a full class next year.

"They were both great," he said of his trips to the two Big Ten schools. "I got to see Penn State against Michigan and Ohio State against Wisconsin. Both went down to the wire."

Dowell's twin brother, Andrew, is a four-star running back who also is having a strong junior season. At 6-foot and 200 pounds he also has an offer from Illinois but Kentucky and Tennessee have not offered yet.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?C...&PT=4&PR=2
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Ansley making impression on Georgia athlete

Justin Rowland

Derrick Ansley has been active in recruiting top junior prospects in Georgia early in the process, and at least one is impressed by the Kentucky assistant coach.

Montrell Custis has plenty of upside and coaches love his versatility. The 6-foot, 185-pound prospect could play on either side of the ball in college and he already has offers from Auburn, East Carolina, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Tennessee and West Virginia.

"I have a great relationship with Coach Ansley," Custis said this week. "Man, I see him as a great coach. I watched a lot of clips on YouTube about coach Ansley. He is about business and that's what I like about him."

Ansley has spoken about himself but he has also given Custis valuable information about the school and the football program. He's doing a good job, too.

"I think they have a great school," he said of Kentucky. "I like the program. I feel good about Kentucky."

Custis even said he will ultimately visit Lexington before making a college decision and hopefully sooner rather than later. But he doesn't have a date in mind yet.

The 2015 prospect excels on special teams as a return man and he also plays wide receiver and defensive back, so he rarely leaves the field for Hampton (Ga.) Lovejoy. His high school has produced countless college talents over the year so Custis is very familiar with the recruiting process and knows what to expect.

East Carolina is the only school recruiting Custis exclusively as a defensive back. Kentucky has left open the possibility that he could play on either side of the ball. While he has never been to Kentucky he has been to Tennessee and Georgia Tech.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Four-star linebacker has four early favorites

Justin Rowland

Troy (Ala.) Henderson linebacker Richard McBryde has the ranking. Now he's looking for the offers to follow.

Already a four-star prospect, McBryde's only offers to this point are from Kentucky and Southern Miss. But with interest from BCS programs across the Southeast he's not worried about that and believes it's just a matter of time.

Of course, the in-state schools are involved with the 6-foot-2, 210-pound prospect, and anytime Alabama and Auburn are recruiting someone local they carry a lot of clout. McBryde has grown up more partial to the Crimson Tide but is open to both.

He camped at both Alabama and Auburn this summer and attended Kentucky's spring game earlier this year as he previously told Cats Illustrated. The fan showing at Mark Stoops' first Blue-White game left a lasting impression that McBryde still hasn't forgotten.

"There were a lot of people. It was a great atmosphere," McBryde recalled. "I love the coaches and the technology they have for the players there. They've got technology that's going to help them out when they perform on game day and help them to stay healthy."

That's an obvious hat tip to the work of Erik Korem and the High Performance program he brought in from Florida State.

Since McBryde visited earlier this year he has remained in regular contact with Kentucky.

"I talk to them sometimes on social media. It's coach (Derrick) Ansley that I'm keeping in contact with. He's pretty cool," he said. "Kentucky's one of the schools I've got the most interest in. I really like Kentucky, Auburn, Alabama and Vanderbilt. They've talked to me the most."

McBryde said he hasn't followed UK's season closely this year but he knows there is an opportunity for recruits to play early in Lexington. He has not attended any college games at any other schools either.

Henderson is 9-0 this year and McBryde has been playing inside linebacker even though he projects for the outside at the college level. He runs the 40-yard dash in the low 4.6-second range.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kentucky offer catches Richardson's attention

Justin Rowland

Four-star wide receiver Tavin Richardson already has a lengthy offer list so what was it that caught his attention when Kentucky jumped into the mix on Monday?

The Wildcats became the latest school to offer the 6-foot-3, 206-pound junior receiver early Monday evening. Arkansas, Boston College, Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Louisville, Maryland, Miami, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Pittsburgh are the others that offered before UK.

"I got it after I got out of practice," Richardson told Cats Illustrated. "Coach (Tommy) Mainord had messaged me on Twitter and told me to call him and that's when he gave me the good news."

It wasn't the first time Mainord has connected with Richardson. The UK receivers coach, who recently had success in securing a commitment from another four-star Palmetto State receiver in Blake Bone, has spoken to Richardson multiple times.

"I had talked to him before and he's seemed like a pretty cool guy," Richardson said. "He was talking about how they're trying to build up their recruiting and he was talking about how he needs some receivers that can make plays and come in early for them. It sounds good so far."

Kentucky certainly isn't too late to the Richardson sweepstakes. He hasn't even thought about naming any favorites, and that's good news for UK.

"It's about even with all my offers," he added.

In the past Richardson has expressed his willingness to leave his home state of South Carolina and even the Southeast for college, so that could be something else that the Wildcats have taken notice of.

Richardson is hoping to visit all the schools that have offered him but he does not yet have a date planned for a trip to Kentucky.

So far this year Richardson has more than 40 catches for more than 600 yards with five touchdowns.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]