Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somerset @ Prestonsburg 11/22
I remember a few trips to Somerset, but don't remember seeing the bunny helmets in P-burg. Is this not the FIRST time Somerset has played in Prestonsburg ??

Confusedhh:
In the 1st RD of the 1989 playoffs District Runner Up Somerset, traveled to Prestonsburg to face the District Champion Blackcats and the Jumpers came home with a 40 - 0 win. I hope they can bring home a win this time also, but I don't see it being that lopsided of an victory this go around. I see it being anywhere from 1 to 14 points. Depending on how they pass the ball and the weather conditions. ::Thumbs::1:
1989 ?!?

No wonder I don't remember. I was living out of state through most of the '80s ...

:thanks:

Does Somerset still have the rabbit on the helmet ?? (coolest logo I think I've seen on a helmet...lol)
No they have a solid gold helmet.
Thanks, Old Gold . . . I knew the Jumpers and Blackcats met in the late-80s but didn't know the score or location.

So to my knowledge, the series record between the two programs is:

1981 - Somerset 10 Prestonsburg 0 (Class AA State Semi-finals @ Somerset)
1983 - Somerset 17 Prestonsburg 0 (Class AA State Quarter-finals @ Somerset)
1989 - Somerset 40 Prestonsburg 0 (Class AA State Quarter-finals @ Prestonsburg)

Does anyone know if there are other games between the two programs I'm missing?
Somerset in a close on 21-20
I watched the "Snow Bowl" game in '81. That was back when the Blackcats were coached by Phillip Haywood. The game had almost zero offense with Somerset scoring after a wind-blown "missed" Prestonsburg punt and a fumble (if I remember correctly..lol). Running the ball to the outside was impossible.

Going home afterward was one of the scariest drives I've ever made - blizzard-like conditions all the way home.
Old Jumper Wrote:Thanks, Old Gold . . . I knew the Jumpers and Blackcats met in the late-80s but didn't know the score or location.

So to my knowledge, the series record between the two programs is:

1981 - Somerset 10 Prestonsburg 0 (Class AA State Semi-finals @ Somerset)
1983 - Somerset 17 Prestonsburg 0 (Class AA State Quarter-finals @ Somerset)
1989 - Somerset 40 Prestonsburg 0 (Class AA State Quarter-finals @ Prestonsburg)

Does anyone know if there are other games between the two programs I'm missing?

So Pburg has never scored on Somerset, ever?
It will be a close game, Somerset by 1 Td.
Buffalo Bildos Wrote:So Pburg has never scored on Somerset, ever?

lol... that's what it looks like. If the Blackcats are to win Friday, they'll have to end that early.

Prestonsburg got the Danville monkey off its back last Friday (had not beaten the Ads in their 2 meetings since 1993). Maybe this Friday they can take care of the monkey's mate (3 losses to the Jumpers).

:biggrin:
I have been saying all year this Blackcat team could be dangerous come playoff time. Look out Bunnies the Blackcats end that scoreless streak this week.
Prestonsburg wins a close one.
Buffalo Bildos Wrote:So Pburg has never scored on Somerset, ever?

To-date, no. I expect that that will change this year.
The Blackcats are playing much better football now. I think P burg wins this one.
Somerset 34 Pburg 20. Somerset takes control in the second half.
Wow this is hard game to predict...
I look for the blackcats to win this one. Pburg has gotten better every week and I like the ways they have been playing as of late. Somerset was real lucky last week, but I think their luck runs out this week.
Prestonsburg 21
Somerset 14
I always pick my Blackcats. I see another hard fought battle with the Cats winning by seven. Hope for an injury free game for both teams, and please Lord, no rain. My old bones can't take it!
From what I am hearing Somerset will have Doan, Lange, Cheuvront and Hatcher all 4 this week. The only game that the Jumpers have had all three was against Glasgow. That game resulted in a 35-13 Somerset win over a Glasgow team that finished 10-2 and only lost to DeSales by 7 in the playoffs.

Somerset's offense is much better when they can spread you out and make you account for those 4 and still have to worry about Jones and McWilliams inside. Prestonsburg has a very nice team but I like Somerset's chances with their all of their skill players back. I'll take the Briar Jumpers 28-21.
Also, will Addison Thompson be back this week? He does a nice job in the secondary.
Prestonsburg
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Said early on Speed Kills. When Somerset has those 4 on the field it's like pick your poison. Anyone of them can go to the house at anytime. Glasgow had speed to burn and couldn't do one thing with them. Addison really makes the secondary so much better. If Prestonsburg beats Somerset with all these people healthy I'll be surprised.
I am going to take the Jumpers even at Pburg!
This will be a very good game for the jumpers but i think i think they will Squeak By
Somerset 30
P-Burg 22:flame::rockon:
Is the field beside the High School? Anyone have a address that will work in a GPS?
The team that Somerset is putting on the field this Friday is one that hardly anyone has even seen this year. All the playmakers and missing links that have troubled this team all season are back and the timing couldn't be better. Somerset fans know how dangerous this team should have been all season and their record is extremely deceptive. I think it will be a great game and I will be very surprised if Somerset doesn't come away with the W. if not, well, Pburg will definitely deserve it bc there should be zero excuses as far as our best players sitting!
Shondue Wrote:Is the field beside the High School? Anyone have a address that will work in a GPS?

Yes, the field is adjacent to the school.

Prestonsburg High School
825 Blackcat Blvd
Prestonsburg, KY 41653

If this doesn't work, your GPS needs updating. :biggrin:
Dumpster Diving Wrote:The team that Somerset is putting on the field this Friday is one that hardly anyone has even seen this year. All the playmakers and missing links that have troubled this team all season are back and the timing couldn't be better. Somerset fans know how dangerous this team should have been all season and their record is extremely deceptive. I think it will be a great game and I will be very surprised if Somerset doesn't come away with the W. if not, well, Pburg will definitely deserve it bc there should be zero excuses as far as our best players sitting!

I agree, Somerset should win this game. If P'burg wins hat's off to them because they will have beaten Somerset at their best. Only team that has seen Somerset at full strength has been Glasgow (10-2) and I think they will tell you When healthy Somerset is a hand full.:Clap::Clap::Clap:
What I hope for Prestonsburg 28 Somerset 20. What I feel Prestonsburg 8 Somerset 31
I think Somerset shows P'burg how good they really are. 35 -14 Somerset