Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
China/Japan
With the two countries arguing over a tiny section of islands close to taiwan, how will this play out?

The US is obviously siding with Japan, but China has no stated it would take emergency action if necessary against aircraft that do not file a flight plan with China, and both countries have ignored China...
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:With the two countries arguing over a tiny section of islands close to taiwan, how will this play out?

The US is obviously siding with Japan, but China has no stated it would take emergency action if necessary against aircraft that do not file a flight plan with China, and both countries have ignored China...

China wants administrative control of the Senkaku/Pinnacle Islands. Japan has had administrative control of the islands since 1895 except for nearly a 30 year period following WW2 when administrative control rested with the US. Both the US and Japan have a vested interest in the islands as the US found likely undersea oil reserves very near to them and their location is strategic to both countries naval concerns with China. As you know, China has just this month announced the creation of a new air-defence identification zone.

In other words we're a burr under China's saddle blanket and they want us out of the way. The US looks dishwater weak right now and no doubt they figure this is the time to make their move. Which, may be likely to succeed given that Iran pushed us around like a bully in a school yard in our negotiations with them last week. If we're ready to cede Iran nuclear status despite the total unraveling of 200 years of US foreign policy in the area, it's hard to see that we'd stick by our guns for a few islands in the East China Sea. I wouldn't bet against China even though the US is bound by "The Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security" to protect the interests of Japan in the matter. Somebody will blink and we're good at that right now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^
I woulnd't be surprised to see China fold on this one.

I know in today's internet world, the US is always everyones punching bag, and think countries like China are finally up to the point where they can handle the US and there power, but I have a feeling that this will be a big bluff by China when all is said and done.
TheRealThing Wrote:China wants administrative control of the Senkaku/Pinnacle Islands. Japan has had administrative control of the islands since 1895 except for nearly a 30 year period following WW2 when administrative control rested with the US. Both the US and Japan have a vested interest in the islands as the US found likely undersea oil reserves very near to them and their location is strategic to both countries naval concerns with China. As you know, China has just this month announced the creation of a new air-defence identification zone.

In other words we're a burr under China's saddle blanket and they want us out of the way. The US looks dishwater weak right now and no doubt they figure this is the time to make their move. Which, may be likely to succeed given that Iran pushed us around like a bully in a school yard in our negotiations with them last week. If we're ready to cede Iran nuclear status despite the total unraveling of 200 years of US foreign policy in the area, it's hard to see that we'd stick by our guns for a few islands in the East China Sea. I wouldn't bet against China even though the US is bound by "The Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security" to protect the interests of Japan in the matter. Somebody will blink and we're good at that right now.

could tell them they are wmds there we fell for that once before might work again
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
I woulnd't be surprised to see China fold on this one.

I know in today's internet world, the US is always everyones punching bag, and think countries like China are finally up to the point where they can handle the US and there power, but I have a feeling that this will be a big bluff by China when all is said and done.

Well, Japan and China have a replete record of confrontations, some military and some civil, like upwards of 50 fishing vessels, since the 60's. As in the case of Russia backing Cuba, it's a matter of respect. We weren't worried about what Cuba could do but, we weren't so sure about what Russia would do. Where we were recently respected and feared among the nations, now not so much.

You mention the internet and interestingly enough, you know what they say, "Familiarity breeds contempt". In many ways I believe we have revealed too much information about our land. And then there are those lovable media types. With the circus that is new norm at the White House, and the 3 hour, 24/7, 365 news loop. Broadcasting globally, there is little to wonder about with regard to what the US will do about anything at all. Not only do we reveal our military intentions and weaknesses to all but, we take every fight to the global public.

Ever been to a public place, say a restaurant or even church on Sunday morning and witnessed the spectacle of a fight among a family that made them all look and sound dysfunctional and petty? You lose a lot of respect for them right on the spot. Same thing for the US. The mystique is completely watered down these days as the Obama inspired, Reid orchestrated nuclear food fight continues to rage in Washington. The inmates are trying to completely control the asylum. How? Democrats are publicly and mindlessly undermining the foundations that have kept America free and strong for her entire existence. Why? Because they want to destroy the other party so that they alone will control the land.

But, I digress. It is difficult to know what to expect right now. At one time we could stare down any would be opponent. If nowadays, Iran can eat our State Department for breakfast, can China really be taking that much backwater? We will see.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
vector Wrote:could tell them they are wmds there we fell for that once before might work again

We who, you and the mouse in your pocket? Pelosi and Sec. of State Kerry led the charge to go to war in Iraq.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:We who, you and the mouse in your pocket? Pelosi and Sec. of State Kerry led the charge to go to war in Iraq.

the lies that bush2 & dick told them there was none just a big lie:biglmao:
vector Wrote:the lies that bush2 & dick told them there was none just a big lie:biglmao:

Maybe if you'd served your country instead of dodging your responsibility to that end, you would have a spark of understanding on the matter. But, you didn't and you don't.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:Maybe if you'd served your country instead of dodging your responsibility to that end, you would have a spark of understanding on the matter. But, you didn't and you don't.

what's that got anything to do with wmds
vector Wrote:what's that got anything to do with wmds

About as much as WMD's have got to do with every single thread posted on the forum. But every answer you post mentions them anyway. The point was that, not only do the comments of people who don't serve make them look small, in fact they are small. In other words, you weren't brave enough or motivated enough to serve but, you want to try to debate about the merits of national defense. And guess what? You can't.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Last time the Chinese picked a fight with Japan, it didn't work out well for them.
Real Badman Wrote:Last time the Chinese picked a fight with Japan, it didn't work out well for them.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The State Department is advising U.S. air carriers abroad to comply with China's demand that it be told of any flights passing through its new maritime air defense zone over the East China Sea.

Last week China declared that all aircraft entering the zone must notify Chinese authorities beforehand, and warned that it would take unspecified defensive measures against those that don't comply.
http://www.khon2.com/news/national-news/...d_21565147

China Sea Tensions Soar As China Scrambles Fighter Jets Against US/Japan
http://www.popularresistance.org/china-s...t-usjapan/

I think China is ready to flex their muscles a bit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]