Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of UK Football??
In Coach Stoops' first year as UK football coach he failed to win more games than the "Joker" did in his last year at UK. My question is a simple one,,, IS STOOPS the right man for the UK job? IMO Stoops is the right man for the UK job and UK did show improvement on D. I feel that the UK D played well enough to win every game with the exception of Bama and UGA. I also think that Neal Brown is not a good fit for UK and the Coach Stoops style of play! First of all, Brown's O didn't look anything like Hal Mumme's "Air Raid" system, it was more of a "Spread Option" attack! I think for coach Stoops to be successful at UK the Wildcats need to be ball control team. I think a "West Coast" style of Offense with a power running game similar to Stanford would suit Stoops' style much better. I do know that Brown's "Hurry UP and get 3 and Out" is not going to be favorable to any defensive system! What do you guys think???
I was very disappointed in the QB play this season! I think if Stoops sticks with either Smith of Whitlow next season his time in Lexington will be short! Whitlow is not a QB's unless in the Wildcat formation and Smith has beat on and hit so much he is now damaged goods! IMO neither can win in the SEC!
honestjchsfan Wrote:In Coach Stoops' first year as UK football coach he failed to win more games than the "Joker" did in his last year at UK. My question is a simple one,,, IS STOOPS the right man for the UK job? IMO Stoops is the right man for the UK job and UK did show improvement on D. I feel that the UK D played well enough to win every game with the exception of Bama and UGA. I also think that Neal Brown is not a good fit for UK and the Coach Stoops style of play! First of all, Brown's O didn't look anything like Hal Mumme's "Air Raid" system, it was more of a "Spread Option" attack! I think for coach Stoops to be successful at UK the Wildcats need to be ball control team. I think a "West Coast" style of Offense with a power running game similar to Stanford would suit Stoops' style much better. I do know that Brown's "Hurry UP and get 3 and Out" is not going to be favorable to any defensive system! What do you guys think???

According to BARNHEAD on the Radio show tonight we could not run the air raid because our defense was not good enough to have any three and outs. But they went on to say what we had to look forward to was something like 8 or 9 starters returning, My question to him is if they are not good enough to play the air raid this year how in the hell are they going to be good enough next year. They went on to say the starting Quarterback next year more than likely had never taken a college snap and that Whitlow would probably play a Randall Cobb type position next year. I'm not sure we accomplished anything this year I was at least hoping we could get a Quarterback to build around.
Petrino!
I never understood why Stoops had high expectations from anyone. He was a defensive coordinator at Florida State, a school where the name Florida State does the recruiting, not the coach. Neal Brown was the offensive coordinator at Texas Tech, the 5th, maybe 6th best college football team in Texas. Both coming to a university whose football program usually camps out in the bottom quarter of the SEC.

Stoops is going to be fine, if UK gives him enough time. Stop asking the guy to make a mansion out of a mud hut
You can't win when you don't have any talent.

When Joker was at UK he was stealing recruits from WKU, Middle Tenn. State, UAB, Miami-OH, Marshall, etc. With Stoops, UK had their highest ranked recruiting class in the history of the program in a few months, and at the moment, UK's 2014 class stands at #7 I believe in the Rivals rankings and top 20 in others.

If you want to win in major college football you have to recruit. You could already see this past season that the best players on the field where freshman or JUCO guys the new staff already brought in. Outside of Avery Williamson & Bud Dupree, I'm not sure any of the Joker players deserved to be playing in the SEC, or major college football.

Football isn't like basketball, you can't take a top 100 team and make it a top 10 team overnight. It's going to take at least 2 more years before UK becomes a serious contender against the big time programs in the SEC.

Next season I only expect 3-5 wins, that's it. In 2015, I'm hoping for a team that can at least contend for a bowl game.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:You can't win when you don't have any talent.

When Joker was at UK he was stealing recruits from WKU, Middle Tenn. State, UAB, Miami-OH, Marshall, etc. With Stoops, UK had their highest ranked recruiting class in the history of the program in a few months, and at the moment, UK's 2014 class stands at #7 I believe in the Rivals rankings and top 20 in others.

If you want to win in major college football you have to recruit. You could already see this past season that the best players on the field where freshman or JUCO guys the new staff already brought in. Outside of Avery Williamson & Bud Dupree, I'm not sure any of the Joker players deserved to be playing in the SEC, or major college football.

Football isn't like basketball, you can't take a top 100 team and make it a top 10 team overnight. It's going to take at least 2 more years before UK becomes a serious contender against the big time programs in the SEC.

Next season I only expect 3-5 wins, that's it. In 2015, I'm hoping for a team that can at least contend for a bowl game.

I have saw teams loaded with talent play really bad football and I have saw teams short on talent play good hard nose football! IMO UK didn't look like a well coached team! It was pretty easy to see the RB Mobley should of been the starter from day one! It seemed to me that the kicking game got worse as the year went along! Explain to me how Rich Brooks could have such a dangerous return game using 2 stars guys like Cobb and Lock and Stoops and his staff couldn't even get a guy to field a punt last weekend against UT with 3 star guys??? That's a sign of a poorly coached team. I am glad you are all positive but what I have saw is totally different! Instead of spending practice time teaching basic stuff (fielding punts) (Blocking) (Tackling) Stoops and this bunch were always pulling the trigger on some trick play! Trick plays waste practice time, the only one that worked was the fake field goal against UF! Look at the QB play this season, first of all they couldn't decide which one was worse in fall camp so they had to make it a year long battle and I still can't tell you which one sucks the most! Both QB's have major flaws, and a good coach spots this by week 4 and plays a younger guy with a high up- side, giving him a chance to learn Neal Browns system and gain experience! Next season UK is either playing one or both Flawed guys again or throwing a Rookie to the wolves! IMO that's a waste of 8 games! If I was giving Stoops a grade for this season it would be a C- he gets the C- because of how the D played with little or no experience in the defensive backfield and maybe the worst LB core in the SEC since the Bad Vandy teams of the 80's! PS He should of kept Dupree at LB and started Hatcher at DE week one!
Folks gotta be patient with Coach Stoops...he walked into a bad situation as it is.

Plus, you gotta factor Stoops doesn't have head coaching experience...but in time it will come.

He's already done wonders recruiting...give it time.

Rome wasn't built in a day.
honestjchsfan Wrote:I have saw teams loaded with talent play really bad football and I have saw teams short on talent play good hard nose football! IMO UK didn't look like a well coached team! It was pretty easy to see the RB Mobley should of been the starter from day one! It seemed to me that the kicking game got worse as the year went along! Explain to me how Rich Brooks could have such a dangerous return game using 2 stars guys like Cobb and Lock and Stoops and his staff couldn't even get a guy to field a punt last weekend against UT with 3 star guys??? That's a sign of a poorly coached team. I am glad you are all positive but what I have saw is totally different! Instead of spending practice time teaching basic stuff (fielding punts) (Blocking) (Tackling) Stoops and this bunch were always pulling the trigger on some trick play! Trick plays waste practice time, the only one that worked was the fake field goal against UF! Look at the QB play this season, first of all they couldn't decide which one was worse in fall camp so they had to make it a year long battle and I still can't tell you which one sucks the most! Both QB's have major flaws, and a good coach spots this by week 4 and plays a younger guy with a high up- side, giving him a chance to learn Neal Browns system and gain experience! Next season UK is either playing one or both Flawed guys again or throwing a Rookie to the wolves! IMO that's a waste of 8 games! If I was giving Stoops a grade for this season it would be a C- he gets the C- because of how the D played with little or no experience in the defensive backfield and maybe the worst LB core in the SEC since the Bad Vandy teams of the 80's! PS He should of kept Dupree at LB and started Hatcher at DE week one!

Well then maybe you should apply for the job then.

You and I only see the games, not practice and the extra football related activities that give the coaches a chance to decide who's playing on Saturday and who needs to be redshirted, etc.
Stoops polished Joker's Turd this season.

When you don't have the talent to compete in SEC games week in and week out... not much can be expected.

But he has brought the #BBN back to Commonwealth stadium. He has created a buzz around the state. He is landing recruits that we could only hope for 5 years ago.

I've said all along 2015 will be our break out year.
What amazes me is that Towles could not even contend for the QB position with two very weak incumbents in front of him. Barker has got to be licking his chops. Could it be that a true freshman starts for UK next fall? Need a mobile QB who can throw accurately.

They need two more playmakers on offence to compliment Timmons.
The future of UK football involves patience, patience, and more patience!

I hope for all our sakes Stoops troops win at least 4 games next season and six the year after. I agree with the "polish the turd" analogy I read before. 2-3 years from know with his recruits playing ( with a season under their belt ) will be a true indicator.

Hope he starts recruiting beast SEC quality lineman.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
I agree with BCA. You have to give the man time. He inherited a horrible mess from the "Joke". UK is currently #7 in next year's recruiting class. UK is getting better facilities. So Stoops must be doin something right.
Pick6 Wrote:What amazes me is that Towles could not even contend for the QB position with two very weak incumbents in front of him. Barker has got to be licking his chops. Could it be that a true freshman starts for UK next fall? Need a mobile QB who can throw accurately.

They need two more playmakers on offence to compliment Timmons.

Towles redshirted.
Strikeout King Wrote:Towles redshirted.

He redshirted because he could not beat either one out.
insideinfo Wrote:He redshirted because he could not beat either one out.

He could too. Smith was horrible and Whitlow is a version of Randall Cobb.
For the one's who are hollering Petrino, he's not played anyone. He did beat Kentucky but that was it. If WKU played the schedule that UK played Petrino would be in the same shape Stoops and Kentucky is in.

Kentucky 35-26 Win
at Tennessee 52-20 Loss
at South Alabama 31-26 Loss
Morgan State 58-17 Win
Navy 19-7 Win
at Louisiana-Monroe 31-10 Win
Louisiana-Lafayette 37-20 Loss
Troy 32-26 Loss
at Georgia State 44-28 Win
at Army 21-17 Win
at Texas State 38-7 Win
Arkansas State 34-31 Win
Strikeout King Wrote:He could too. Smith was horrible and Whitlow is a version of Randall Cobb.

Stoops said Towles was giving every opportunity to win the job and did I not win it.
insideinfo Wrote:Stoops said Towles was giving every opportunity to win the job and did I not win it.

Cats out the bag….insideinfo is Towles ( oh the irony ). Either get stronger and faster and win the starting spot next year or transfer!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
Spirit100 Wrote:Cats out the bag….insideinfo is Towles ( oh the irony ). Either get stronger and faster and win the starting spot next year or transfer!

I've been trying to get them to move me to tightend. I can see the writing on the wall,but Stoops see me as a long snapper.
Ive been saying exactly what insideinfo is saying for the last year and a half.
Towles should have been started the last two seasons. He would have had time to develop and grow as a QB. He would already be in the system and know what to do.

Instead, we play guys like Max smith and whitlow who may be the two worst QB's in the big 6 conferences.
These guys are not QB's. Smith should be a 3rd string punter and Whitlow should be a slot receiver.

IF Stoops starts Smith or Whitlow again next year, then I will expect nothing but the same we got out of Joker which is complete failure.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ive been saying exactly what insideinfo is saying for the last year and a half.
Towles should have been started the last two seasons. He would have had time to develop and grow as a QB. He would already be in the system and know what to do.

Instead, we play guys like Max smith and whitlow who may be the two worst QB's in the big 6 conferences.
These guys are not QB's. Smith should be a 3rd string punter and Whitlow should be a slot receiver.

IF Stoops starts Smith or Whitlow again next year, then I will expect nothing but the same we got out of Joker which is complete failure.

:truestory:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
Strikeout King Wrote:For the one's who are hollering Petrino, he's not played anyone. He did beat Kentucky but that was it. If WKU played the schedule that UK played Petrino would be in the same shape Stoops and Kentucky is in.

Kentucky 35-26 Win
at Tennessee 52-20 Loss
at South Alabama 31-26 Loss
Morgan State 58-17 Win
Navy 19-7 Win
at Louisiana-Monroe 31-10 Win
Louisiana-Lafayette 37-20 Loss
Troy 32-26 Loss
at Georgia State 44-28 Win
at Army 21-17 Win
at Texas State 38-7 Win
Arkansas State 34-31 Win

If Western played the same schedule as Kentucky they would be in the SEC and Kentucky would still be the worst team in the SEC.
Strikeout King Wrote:He could too. Smith was horrible and Whitlow is a version of Randall Cobb.

A version of Randle Cobb????? snicker: Whitlow is a decent athlete but he is not in the same league as Randle Cobb! Cobb ran 4.4 at the NFL combine and ran sub 22 seconds at 200 meters as a 16 year old. He also lead the NFL in All Purpose Yards last year!
insideinfo Wrote:If Western played the same schedule as Kentucky they would be in the SEC and Kentucky would still be the worst team in the SEC.

Petrino hasn't played anyone this year. Let UK and WKU trade schedules and see what the results would be. I can guarantee you that Petrino at UK wouldn't have been any better
honestjchsfan Wrote:A version of Randle Cobb????? snicker: Whitlow is a decent athlete but he is not in the same league as Randle Cobb! Cobb ran 4.4 at the NFL combine and ran sub 22 seconds at 200 meters as a 16 year old. He also lead the NFL in All Purpose Yards last year!

Cobb wasn't a QB. Whitlow doesn't need to be one neither. Whitlow needs to be a WR/RB (for wildcat plays) not no QB
It's been one season and UK had 4 SEC caliber players on the whole damn team. Give the man some time, he pulled several quality recruits for the 2013 class and the 2014 class is currently in the top 10, tell me the last time you seen that. Rome wasn't built in a day and you can't turn an SEC doormat into a competitor with 1 season. We essentially had a roster full of MAC players with Bud Dupree, Darrian Miller, Mister Cobble and Donte Rumph being the only real SEC caliber players on the whole team. I'm giving Stoops a minimum of 2 years before I become critical. Anybody remember Brooks first few years?
geauxtigers75 Wrote:It's been one season and UK had 4 SEC caliber players on the whole damn team. Give the man some time, he pulled several quality recruits for the 2013 class and the 2014 class is currently in the top 10, tell me the last time you seen that. Rome wasn't built in a day and you can't turn an SEC doormat into a competitor with 1 season. We essentially had a roster full of MAC players with Bud Dupree, Darrian Miller, Mister Cobble and Donte Rumph being the only real SEC caliber players on the whole team. I'm giving Stoops a minimum of 2 years before I become critical. Anybody remember Brooks first few years?

Well said geauxtigers75. I'll sound off for better or worse after Stoops Troops junior year. We do need to see yearly improvement though with the Jokers remnants. So asking for 4 wins next year and 6 the following is a realistic bar. If he only wins 2 next year and three afterward?

Well than Gut gets to say I told you so :ChairHit: to all of us optimists! Petrino did what he should have done at WKU going 8-4 overall and 4-3 in the Sun Belt. If he's as good as Gut thinks we should hold him to 10-2 and 6-1standard in the conference next year which is fair play…it's only the Sun Belt!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
I think we all knew it was going to be a down year. From what I can remember, majority of people only had them winning 3 games, 5 at the most. If he still sucks after a couple more years then send him packing, either way, we will still have new facilities.

But you got to give the guy a chance first.
I don't trust words, I trust action...
Strikeout King Wrote:Cobb wasn't a QB. Whitlow doesn't need to be one neither. Whitlow needs to be a WR/RB (for wildcat plays) not no QB

I agree Whitlow is not a QB. I wish UK had a few Randle Cobb's! It was a shame that Joker coached him his last year at UK! I will never forget that SC game that UK lost 28 to 26, Cobb willed UK down the field and score a late TD to put UK with in 2 points of a tie game, Joker who was UK's OC decide to put the game in the hands of the second string QB and SC stopped the pass play. After the game in the Press conference "The Old Ball Coach" said "I am sure glad they didn't give the ball to #18 I don't think we could of stopped him":flush: I think the curse of the Joker has infect Florida, his first season at Florida is there first losing season since 79' :lmao: